PDA

View Full Version : Newport Cops-F'n D-Bags-BASH THREAD

PVHCA
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I will brush some light strokes and finish in the morning. It involves my nephew a sophomore at Concordia Univ. in Irvine, scholar student, model 20 year old in our city, ie. volunteer awards, oh ya and he has Cerebral Palsy. Guess the loser cop figured since he was walking funny he was slammered. Arrested him in front of 30 plus witnesses peers and parents that were trying to tell the cop he has not been drinking, never read him his Miranda Rights, never tested him for alcohol(breath or blood) and wouldn't let my nephew show him his disability placard/card.

More to come in the morning, kid wouldn't call his parents, didn't wanna upset them so he road out the 8 hour stint in the cell.

My brother and bitch S.I.L. so want this fucks badge.

CampbellCarl
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
I will brush some light strokes and finish in the morning. It involves my nephew a sophomore at Concordia Univ. in Irvine, scholar student, model 20 year old in our city, ie. volunteer awards, oh ya and he has Cerebral Palsy. Guess the loser cop figured since he was walking funny he was slammered. Arrested him in front of 30 plus witnesses peers and parents that were trying to tell the cop he has not been drinking, never read him his Miranda Rights, never tested him for alcohol(breath or blood) and wouldn't let my nephew show him his disability placard/card.

More to come in the morning, kid wouldn't call his parents, didn't wanna upset them so he road out the 8 hour stint in the cell.

If all is true, I wouldn't mind havin' a piece of it also.............

Joker
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Shintoo to the black & white courtesy phone please.

That sucks. Seems to be on par with the shit that was going down in HB last night.

TBI
07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Shintoo to the black & white courtesy phone please.Nice :D

Outdrive1
07-05-2012, 05:03 PM

That sucks. Seems to be on par with the shit that was going down in HB last night.

Fuck Brown.

Mini Kat
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM

More like the RED HOT LINE!

koenig
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
This should be a news story. I think the police need to be kept in check by the press and public opinion.

KENDOG689
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Are you reffering to Billy? If so he is a real good kid.Sorry to hear this.:thumbsdown

rivergames
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
This should be a news story. I think the police need to be kept in check by the press and public opinion.

I agree. Fuck OC cops. Bunch of Self Centered pricks. I would contact every news channel I could find

McRib
07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
This is more then just the arresting officers badge imo. I bet no less then 3 other officers handled thks kid once at the station. Which means out of all these douche bags no one could figure out the kid was handicap? Its shitbag cops like this that get innocent people killed. For instance the fullerton skitso that was beatin to death by fullerton pd cause none of them could figure out or see signs that the kid was skitso. So their answer was beat him into submission. I hope ur family makes some shit happen when they rattle this cage. All that officer had to do was ask a few questions and listen to the people around that kid when it all went down. What a fucking douche bag.

McRib
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh and lets not forget after 8 hrs in the tank he walks out with the same questionable step and slur in his speech. Fucking morons!

Flyinbowtie
07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Phil, sounds like the cop is a real jerk.
But once again, for the umpteenth time, you don't have to read someone their "miranda rights" to arrest them legally.
You don't have to have someone blow or do a BA to do a drunk in public arrest.

That doesn't give this cop any leeway, he should pay the price as should the cops working the custody unit.

shintoooo
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Cops Suck. That's F'd up.

HolyMoly
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
But once again, for the umpteenth time, you don't have to read someone their "miranda rights" to arrest them legally.

That doesn't give this cop any leeway, he should pay the price as should the cops working the custody unit.

I heard that Timothy McVeigh walked with a limp. This is about national security and everything is justified in the name of national security. It only takes 5 lbs of super wazoo explosives to get within the radius of John Wayne airport, which is a constant target of terroists. I'd post some picture of a terrorist act in an attempt to shut down the argument to show that if you disagree with me, then you must support terrorist activities or you are just too stupid to understand the complexities of national security, or both, but I don't keep those pictures stored on this computer. Maybe Low River can help a brother out?

If the kid doesn't like it, he can always stay on private property. :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
You can't be serious.
If you are serious, I can't help you.

Loelco
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Hell, that doesn't bother'em one whit. Unless its something they don't feel like doing.

thetub
07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I heard that Timothy McVeigh walked with a limp. This is about national security and everything is justified in the name of national security. It only takes 5 lbs of super wazoo explosives to get within the radius of John Wayne airport, which is a constant target of terroists. I'd post some picture of a terrorist act in an attempt to shut down the argument to show that if you disagree with me, then you must support terrorist activities or you are just too stupid to understand the complexities of national security, or both, but I don't keep those pictures stored on this computer. Maybe Low River can help a brother out?

?

McRib
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM

I must have missed the other times uv said it but ur statment reads to me like one would have no rights at the time of arrest. If ur not read ur rights at the time of arrest a lawyer could get that shit dimissed just on that. Or is that only on tv? :p

On the second note if ur gonna arrest someone for dui or drunk in public why wouldnt u have to prove it first. What keeps an officer from just walking up to me and arrest me cause he "thinks" im drunk? Am I missing something?

KENDOG689
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM

Our kids are no dealing with the BULLSHIT caused buy our own goverments policys they fail to enorce every day.Do you really think this kid wa a threat or are the effen cops there(I know they are)ASSHOLES!?:rolleyes:

HolyMoly
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
You can't be serious.
If you are serious, I can't help you.

I'm not serious and you can't help me. So you are right on both counts. :p I was just using the same logic LR used in another thread to squash the cop bashing.

But I could say the same thing about your post? Explaining to Phil why he doesn't have to have his miranda rights read nor be tested on scene for impairment? WTF? I'd give 1000000000000:1 odds that your post did more to piss off Phil, than help him understand why some asshole cop arrested a handicapped kid.

DaveC
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious and stop calling me shirley :D

I'm not serious and you can't help me. So you are right on both counts. :p I was just using the same logic LR used in another thread to squash the cop bashing.

But I could say the same thing about your post? Explaining to Phil why he doesn't have to have his miranda rights read nor be tested on scene for impairment? WTF? I'd give 1000000000000:1 odds that your post did more to piss off Phil, than help him understand why some asshole cop arrested a handicapped kid.

Oh BTW you couldn't possibly understand unless you walked a mile in their shoez. So FO. :D

HolyMoly
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious and stop calling me shirley :D

Oh BTW you couldn't possibly understand unless you walked a mile in their shoez. So FO. :D

In all fairness, FTB does try to understand civilian opinions more than most LE.

DaveC
07-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Thats cuz he is one. :p

In all fairness, FTB does try to understand civilian opinions more than most LE.

Plus he is an alright guy :thumbsup

Ultracrazy
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Since none of us were there.....is pretty tough to defend or rip either side. To make a blanket statement on either end of this story would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.........

HolyMoly
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Since none of us were there.....is pretty tough to defend or rip either side. To make a blanket statement on either end of this story would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.........

Since the title of this thread was cop bash thread....I think Phil was looking to vent. But, since I wasn't there when he posted, we really don't know the true story. To make a blanket statement on either end of his motives would not be the way to go. But this is RDP.....which means we get to keep talking and posting no matter what LE says! It is a regular anarchy! Although most people don't really understand what an actual anarchy is and it would not be fair to make a blanket statement on either end. But this is RDP. But since none of us actually participate in anarchy, it would not be fair to make a blanket statement about why people don't understand what an anarchy is. But this is RDP. But since none of us understand why people don't understand things like anarchist workings, to make a blanket statement on either end would not be the way to go. But this is RDP......

Flyinbowtie
07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
On edit again...I made a blanket statement that the cop was wrong because I know Phil, he isn't going to come on here and tell us half the story. The kid either has CP or he doesn't.

Okay, we will run through Miranda one more time...

The advisement known as Miranda Rights must only be given when two events are in play.
Cop makes arrest...AND Cop wants to ask questions pertinent to the crime of the person he has arrested.
Custody and Interrogation is the phrase we use
Custody...person cannot leave, is under arrest. A simple brief detention for a traffic stop has not been upheld as a Miranda Trigger. Stopping a guy you find walking down a street at 2am in a residential area where there have been a bunch of car burgs and asking him what he is doing is not a Miranda detention.
You find same guy carrying a crowbar and wearing a ski mask, stop him, handcuff him, and say, "did you break into that car back there? Miranda trigger.
Remember, Custody and Interrogation.
If cop has warrant for your arrest and stops you, he can hook you up and book you with no Miranda.
If cop catches you inside someone elses car boosting the stereo at o'darkthirty, he don't want to ask you any questions related to the crime, no Miranda. After you are under arrest he can ask you your name, address and DOB without triggering interrogation.
If you are in custody...sitting in the back of the cop car, sitting on the curb and handcuffed...and he asks you how many cars you have broken into, Miranda is triggered.
Okay...

Now..on public intoxication...if you look at the law in California it is 647 (f) P.C.
"Intoxicated to the point where cannot care for own safety or safety of others"
There is no BA threshold for this. It is purely officer discretion...many cops will blow a 647(f) arrestee just to give the jail an idea how long they need to hold him, but the case is madeon the objective symtoms of intoxication as observed by the arresting officer and documented in his police report.
This is where the cop who arrested Phil's nephew is going to eat the shit sandwich.
Many medical problems can give the initial appearance of intoxication...diabetic illness, epilepsy, MS (my sister has it) and CP, among others.
Cops are supposed to be pros, trained observers and recorders of fact.
Miserable failure here.
The cop did a half-ass investigation and jumped to a wrong conclusion, even after being told that the young man was not drunk he didn't look further into it. The cop did not conduct himself in a professional manner, did not perform an investigation that arrived at the correct end.
Then, the officers receiving the arrest did not evaluate the arrestee at time of booking as per what I am sure their policy states.
That is where the jail cops will find themselves SOL.
They were outside of written policy.
The arresting officer has a while bunch more problems, and it sounds like there are going to be a whole bunch of people at the prelim (if the DA files, he probably won;t) and all of those people wil testify in the civil suit, which needs to happen.

Phil and I have shared more than a few beers, he knows me and he knows my intent...if he was pissed off about the first post, that is okay. He is madder than a wet hen about what happened to his nephew and he has a right to be pissed off about anything he likes.

On edit...I stated in the first post I thought it was a bad arrest and the cop was wrong.
I did so before I addressed the miranda deal.
My intent in addressing the miranda issue was to clarify for the rest folks on here, the regulars, that Miranda wasn't in play.
I have done so before, ad nauseum. As a general rule I stay out of these threads because in general no one remembers what I have said.
Again, Phil knows me, if he is pissed by my response he can tell me so.

Stainless
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
In all fairness, FTB does try to understand civilian opinions more than most LE. Agreed!:thumbsup

Moneypit
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
On edit again...I made a blanket statement that the cop was wrong because I know Phil, he isn't going to come on here and tell us half the story. The kid either has CP or he doesn't.

Okay, we will run through Miranda one more time...

Very good explanation about Miranda rights.:thumbsup... So many misconceptions are based on TV cops and TV scripts... It aint like that in the real world, and quite frankly, cops can, and do, just about anything they want to do in the course of dealing with a "suspect".... They can lie to him, they can deceive him, they can tell him asking for a lawyer makes him look guilty, and does he really want to get that deep into it...etc etc...
Thank you for that very through explanation that even RDPers can understand...Well, some of us anyway....
Ray

V.O.R.F
07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
willing to bet there is more to this story.

sorry the kid had to deal with this regardless.

Performance Boat Candy
07-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Sucks! Sorry to hear :thumbsdown

Shane54
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Really sucks to hear this. But in all fairness, it is very easy to mistake someone with CP for being intoxicated. Throw in a ton of other kids/people who come to Newport on the fourth, most drunk, and you could blend in as one. Horrible that he had to spend the night, probably pretty dramatic, but in that setting I could see how this very easily could occur.

JUAN VONWERNER
07-06-2012, 12:32 AM

WTF?

dribble
07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
I must have missed the other times uv said it but ur statment reads to me like one would have no rights at the time of arrest. If ur not read ur rights at the time of arrest a lawyer could get that shit dimissed just on that. Or is that only on tv? :p

On the second note if ur gonna arrest someone for dui or drunk in public why wouldnt u have to prove it first. What keeps an officer from just walking up to me and arrest me cause he "thinks" im drunk? Am I missing something?

That is on TV. The only situations where the charges could get dismissed would be under the following circumstances:

The suspect is already under arrest or reasonably perceives that he under arrest or is otherwise not free to leave is being questioned and is not read his rights.

He makes an incriminating statement ie. Yes I had six beers in an hour.

That statement is the only basis used to prove the case. For example if a cop finds him sitting in a park with six empties and a receipt for the beer he can ask "did you just drink those". If the suspect says "yes I did what about it", the arrest can be made based upon that statement. If (upon questioning) he makes another statement (ie, I aslo drank a pint) without having been read his rights, that statement is not admissible but the other evidence still is. If while being transported, he volunteers a statement without questioning, that statement can also be used.

Back to the issue at hand. I believe that it is possible that a travesty like this is more an indication of a rouge Police Department rather than that of a single rouge officer. The entire community should be enraged and hold the Chief of Police personally responsible.

ChumpChange
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
So I see you're at work this morning. You should have some time to get into the grit of the story now.

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Are you reffering to Billy? If so he is a real good kid.Sorry to hear this.:thumbsdown

Yep, Lil Billy!!

Thanks bud, and not at all mad about what's legal, thanks for the explanation.

Was gonna bash you but read the other post, all good.

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Dribble makes a good point.
I spent 25 years working in the field and can tell you there IS such a thing as a dept. with a bad internal culture. Getting good cops starts with the hiring process.
You get the best people you can. You weed out the flakes, the losers, the people that aren't suited there.
Then, you put them through an academy.
You begin the teaching process. You weed out the ones that are not capable of making decisions, working under pressure there.
Then, the critical step is a Field Training Program.
Ours lasted a year.
I wrote it.
You get the best people you have, who reflect the best of your dept. in both skill, safety, and respect for the public, and you have them impart all they know into the trainee.
And here you weed out the ones who are badge heavy, short of brains, and umpteen other things that make a person unsuitable for the job.
If an agency doesn't have the right people running the FTO program, and has a culture of, "us v. them" then you wind up with "bad" cops...and after a few years, they infest the culture of what might have been a god cop shop.
Things like this event are rarely an isolated incident. I am sure there will be a full on investigation behind this deal to determine which it is, a good cop making a bad decision..(possible) or the result of what I stated here.

A good cop doesn't arrest and book a sick or disabled person for 647(f).
It just doesn't happen, not in the world I worked in.

OCMerrill
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Do LE carry any type of Errors and Omissions liability insurance? Seems to me this one is a lawsuit waiting to happen and quite possibly an expensive one.

slowride
07-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Dribble makes a good point.
I spent 25 years working in the field and can tell you there IS such a thing as a dept. with a bad internal culture. Getting good cops starts with the hiring process.
You get the best people you can. You weed out the flakes, the losers, the people that aren't suited there.
Then, you put them through an academy.
You begin the teaching process. You weed out the ones that are not capable of making decisions, working under pressure there.
Then, the critical step is a Field Training Program.
Ours lasted a year.
I wrote it.
You get the best people you have, who reflect the best of your dept. in both skill, safety, and respect for the public, and you have them impart all they know into the trainee.
And here you weed out the ones who are badge heavy, short of brains, and umpteen other things that make a person unsuitable for the job.
If an agency doesn't have the right people running the FTO program, and has a culture of, "us v. them" then you wind up with "bad" cops...and after a few years, they infest the culture of what might have been a god cop shop.
Things like this event are rarely an isolated incident. I am sure there will be a full on investigation behind this deal to determine which it is, a good cop making a bad decision..(possible) or the result of what I stated here.

A good cop doesn't arrest and book a sick or disabled person for 647(f).
It just doesn't happen, not in the world I worked in.

We're talking about Newport..... been that "culture" for the 55 years I've been on this earth and avoiding Newport. It didn't take too many interactions with NBPD before you got the message.... stay the F out of Newport punk. It worked... I stayed out of Newport and headed north to Huntington. River jetty is your friend.......:thumbsup

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Ok so got the full scoop from Billy, my brother and bitch S.I.L.

Billy arrived at a home rented by 4 of his friends parents, I guess a pretty big home. Not sure about underage drinking he didn't say but most are 20-21 y.o.'s from school. He and a girl he was with walked across the street for her to buy smokes. Billy noticed the 2 cops starring at him as they entered the liquor store, when he left and crossed the street he noticed them still starring. Let me explain, Billy isn't the typical C.P. patient, yes walks a lil gimpy but speech is fine, he never says to anyone that he's handicapped(he doesn't think he is) unless he's forced ie. this day. He entered onto the patio and the cop immediately came onto the property and yes pulled him out of the crowd of about 25-30 peeps. One of the mothers tried to intervene and the officer said he's drunk, she tried explaining that he had just arrived and had not drank at all, a father came out and tried explaining, same thing was said by the cop, then the cop became rude to anyone trying to explain. My nephew then tried explaining that he has C.P. and that's why he walks the way he does. He asked the cop to breath test him, nope, can I show you my A.D.A. card? Nope. My nephew figured oh well cops an asshole I'll just do what I gotta do. As the cops leaving with my nephew he shouts to the group, "Who want's to be victim number 19?" I guess he was proud that he had arrested 18 under age drinkers that day.

Fast forward to the jail, booking officer looks at my nephew and asks him why he's there, nephew says no idea, booking officer reads paperwork that says public intoxication, he looks at my nephew and says, "your not drunk", nephew says tell the arresting officer that so I can leave or can you blood test or breath test me? Booking officer says, we don't have to, nephew asks him well how do I prove my innocence? Cop says don't know.

Billy sits in jail for the mandatory 8 and gets out and goes to the house to spend a few hours asleep before he tells his parents. When he's leaving the arresting cop is posted out in the area and says to him, "how was your night in jail? Laughed at Billy and proceeded on"

Nothing more to add, no my nephew wasn't drunk, he wasn't disrespectful and he now seems to have a whole different out look on cops and our judicial system. He told his parents that if they contact an attorney it better not be a lawsuit about his C.P. or the like but what he feels as his rights were violated.

fmo24
07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
We're talking about Newport..... been that "culture" for the 55 years I've been on this earth and avoiding Newport. It didn't take too many interactions with NBPD before you got the message.... stay the F out of Newport punk. It worked... I stayed out of Newport and headed north to Huntington. River jetty is your friend.......:thumbsup

x2 I grew up in HB and everyone knew to stay away from NBPD especially on the fourth of July

Sandlord
07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
any ADA lawyer would love this case

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Phil, your nephew got screwed...

I understand his desire to keep the CP out of the lawsuit, I understand it completely and respect the young man for his determination to no let his illness get the best of his life.
But I want you to communicate this message to him.
What if the next time that chickenshit cop arrests someone who has an illness, like him, but hasn't become so adept at dealing with it?
What if the next time the cop arrests some young man, like him, who is just beginning to overcome the issues he is facing, and this incompetent ass destroys ever ounce of self esteem he has struggled to build.
The CP issue damn well needs to be the centerpiece of this lawsuit, as do the other witnesses, the jail cops (went down just like I suspected) and the culture needs to be cleaned up in Newport.
Your nephew is the victim of this, but he can save a whole bunch of other victims by stepping forward. Not "using" his illness as an excuse...but making damn sure no one else suffers the same fate at the hands of this ass.
Phil....if you think a 25 year retired cop who is still proud of his work can help this young man understand he has been given a mission here...let me know. I will pm you my number and he can call me. This needs to be done.

07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Ring them up Phil. Fuck all that noise.

They need to be held accountable for there lack of professionalism.

McRib
07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it? cops stick together weither there is right or wrong. The intake officer should have had the balls to take it up the chain of command and gotten that kid released. This is total bullshit.

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it? cops stick together weither there is right or wrong. The intake officer should have had the balls to take it up the chain of command and gotten that kid released. This is total bullshit.

It is total bullshit...

But cops don't always stick together when wrong is being done. As a retired Sergeant, I wouldn't tolerate this shit. The cop would be with days on the beach if I caught this crap going down.
Negligent training.
Negligent supervision...

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM

I understand his desire to keep the CP out of the lawsuit, I understand it completely and respect the young man for his determination to no let his illness get the best of his life.
What if the next time that chickenshit cop arrests someone who has an illness, like him, but hasn't become so adept at dealing with it?
What if the next time the cop arrests some young man, like him, who is just beginning to overcome the issues he is facing, and this incompetent ass destroys ever ounce of self esteem he has struggled to build.
The CP issue damn well needs to be the centerpiece of this lawsuit, as do the other witnesses, the jail cops (went down just like I suspected) and the culture needs to be cleaned up in Newport.
Your nephew is the victim of this, but he can save a whole bunch of other victims by stepping forward. Not "using" his illness as an excuse...but making damn sure no one else suffers the same fate at the hands of this ass.
Phil....if you think a 25 year retired cop who is still proud of his work can help this young man understand he has been given a mission here...let me know. I will pm you my number and he can call me. This needs to be done.

I will let you know what goes on from here. My brother has a lot of connects with lawyers down in the O.C. so I'm sure he and his wife and Billy are just getting their ducks in a row and then decide where to go from here.

It's pretty shitty that a citizen can have their rights fucked with so easily.

07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Brothas been going threw it for years. Just saying :D

whiteworks
07-06-2012, 08:48 AM
If Billy would have been drinking this whole situation could have been avoided and the arrest legit, just sayin:thumbsup

Boschma
07-06-2012, 08:50 AM
So sorry to hear this. I hope bringing it to the media's attention will help shed some light on how bad NBPD is. Good luck!

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 08:51 AM
That is one helluva good point Dylan.
LOL.

McRib
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM
It is total bullshit...

But cops don't always stick together when wrong is being done. As a retired Sergeant, I wouldn't tolerate this shit. The cop would be with days on the beach if I caught this crap going down.
Negligent training.
Negligent supervision...

I agree not all cops stick together but in this day and age everyone has to play ball. Anyone goin against the grain in a dept like newport will prob quickly find a pink slip in there locker.

Cops suck until they prove they dont suck.

I really hope ur nephew steps to the plate and rides this to the end. This guy doesent deserve a badge. He deserves the unemployment line.

Hey FBT! Drunk tank. No citation no paper trail no court appearance? Intake and release paperwork only?

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
If Billy would have been drinking this whole situation could have been avoided and the arrest legit, just sayin:thumbsup

Absolutely, pretty much what he said.

Brothas been going threw it for years. Just saying :D

I don't know what you speak of, I don't see people that way, everyone's "White", LOL!!

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE

Hey FBT! Drunk tank. No citation no paper trail no court appearance? Intake and release paperwork only?[/QUOTE]

There is the process called 849(b)..
Arrest was only a detention for sobriety, released no charges when able to care for self.

Makes no damn difference in this case.
Billy was arrested, he was taken under color of authority and placed in a jail for a crime he was not guilty of.
His rights were violated when the cop chose to hook him up. Up til then...cop contacting what on first appearance looks to be a intoxicated person..cop investigates, determines is/isn't, okay.
Good cop investigates, sees Billy isn't intoxicated, can care for himself, says have a nice day and leaves.
Cop doesn't do his job, hooks Billy up...
849(b) is not going to change the core of this case, IMHO.

McRib
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE

Hey FBT! Drunk tank. No citation no paper trail no court appearance? Intake and release paperwork only?

There is the process called 849(b)..
Arrest was only a detention for sobriety, released no charges when able to care for self.

Makes no damn difference in this case.
Billy was arrested, he was taken under color of authority and placed in a jail for a crime he was not guilty of.
His rights were violated when the cop chose to hook him up. Up til then...cop contacting what on first appearance looks to be a intoxicated person..cop investigates, determines is/isn't, okay.
Good cop investigates, sees Billy isn't intoxicated, can care for himself, says have a nice day and leaves.
Cop doesn't do his job, hooks Billy up...
849(b) is not going to change the core of this case, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

So this becomes billys word against the cops word? Sounds lije his innosense will be hard to prove. The intake office will not have any recelection of him saying "ur not drunk" there is chum in the water. Fuck newport

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
It will get much deeper than that, what with the witnesses that can be called, and the ADA attorney will know the drill.
I am not gonna put it all out here, but I betcha the federal civil rights violation trial in federal court will have the booking officer in a sling...the video of the booking room...from the cop car...this isn't going to go away.
Billy needs a very thick stack of money to sit on, and NBPD needs to have their officers in training, and this cop needs days on the beach at worst...frankly his attitude as quoted tells me he needs to be flipping burgers someplace.

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
My nephew said he couldn't believe that the cop was so arrogant, all he wanted was a chance to explain, said the cop just didn't care at all. My nephew said he laughed because he couldn't believe what was happening. I asked if he got pissed or rude he said hell no, god only knows what would have happened then.

The shit that stinks here is the cop will probably get a small warning put in his file and brushed under the rug unless lawyers get involved, seems to me admin needs to do some harsh discipline and as FBT says MORE training. I see the UPD give a lot of respect to the transients behind my building and they just get drunk all day, LOL!!

havasuhusker
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your nephew. Crappy situation for sure. I hope it all works out in the end for him and your family.

t&y
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
My nephew said he couldn't believe that the cop was so arrogant, all he wanted was a chance to explain, said the cop just didn't care at all. My nephew said he laughed because he couldn't believe what was happening. I asked if he got pissed or rude he said hell no, god only knows what would have happened then.

The shit that stinks here is the cop will probably get a small warning put in his file and brushed under the rug unless lawyers get involved, seems to me admin needs to do some harsh discipline and as FBT says MORE training. I see the UPD give a lot of respect to the transients behind my building and they just get drunk all day, LOL!!

I agree with what FBT has been saying for the most part.... but will add NewPort beach on New Years and July 4th is an arrest waiting to happen if you are going to be walking around. It does get crazy down there and I'd bet the agency pretty much has an arrest everyone attitude. I dont agree with or practice that attitude.

Your nephew needs to start by filing a formal complaint with the agency. Get the signed copy of the complaint being taken in (Usually signed by the Watch Commander or Lieutenant) and keep that on file. Will this really do anything, probably not, but it will get a paper trail going and establish that for later proceedings if he chooses to pusue it. When he goes down there he should have as many witnesses as possible with him. Probably easier to schedule the meeting if NBPD will do that.

Honestly, if what you are saying is true, and your nephew hadn't had anything to drink at all, that cop wouldn't last where I work. We don't tolerate idiots, there are much bigger issues we need to deal with. That being said, given his disability and what the cops probably observed as an abnormal gate, IF HE HAD.... any alcohol on his breath it's going to be hard to call it an illegal/unlawfull arrest. Lack of training and common sense AT A MINIMUM.

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree with what FBT has been saying for the most part.... but will add NewPort beach on New Years and July 4th is an arrest waiting to happen if you are going to be walking around. It does get crazy down there and I'd bet the agency pretty much has an arrest everyone attitude. I dont agree with or practice that attitude.

Your nephew needs to start by filing a formal complaint with the agency. Get the signed copy of the complaint being taken in (Usually signed by the Watch Commander or Lieutenant) and keep that on file. Will this really do anything, probably not, but it will get a paper trail going and establish that for later proceedings if he chooses to pusue it. When he goes down there he should have as many witnesses as possible with him. Probably easier to schedule the meeting if NBPD will do that.

Honestly, if what you are saying is true, and your nephew hadn't had anything to drink at all, that cop wouldn't last where I work. We don't tolerate idiots, there are much bigger issues we need to deal with. That being said, given his disability and what the cops probably observed as an abnormal gate, IF HE HAD.... any alcohol on his breath it's going to be hard to call it an illegal/unlawfull arrest. Lack of training and common sense AT A MINIMUM.

Not a drop of booze on him, he had just arrived after driving to the beach for the week.

My brother and S.I.L. and he I hope are doing all the proper paperwork, I will keep this updated.

boatpi
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Soooo u know, the police do NOT have to read a Miranda warning in this case, they DO NOT give a breath or blood test, just objective symptoms, write it, and book him. He would normally be released under 649B. No charges will be filed.

Newport is a mess on 7-4, has been for decades, basically if you are among others that are drinking heavily, expect the worst. Sort of a warning bell.

As far as a civil rights suit, he had better have alot more than what you described to be successful. U can file a complaint with PD, and they will investigate. That may be your only satisfaction if any.

I don't like to pre judge, so unless u or a sober reliable witness was present, overhearing most of the encounter, don't expect much. In the eyes of the 647F law, and Supreme Court decisions back in the 1970's, being drunk in public is about a nothing, book and release. As I recall it is a nondetainable crime and might not even show on the state rap sheet.

Just some reasonable views from 30+ years in LE and 8 as a PI. There is a time when to just let go and move on in life.

milkmoney
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
sorry to read this whole story about your nephew hil....if it was me i would sue the living shit out of the city and have that officer put on the street and the bread line. then when he has no badge or gun to make him tough anymore...send some of the godfathers boys down and beat his ass to a pulp after all said and done...

i dont no why this pisses me off, its no wonder people hate cops... cops are as crooked as horse racing, and if you know anything about horse racing you will understand my comment....

i myself rarely have interacting with the law/popo..jus stay away from them.. and yes there are good ones and bad ones of course, i feel sorry for the good ones...

Old Texan
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm curious how this cop could go onto private property and arrest this kid on so little. If this is possible, anyone who stumbles while walking down the street is subject to arrest.

So many rights were violated or at a minimum, abused, from the desciption of what went on. If a PD is this F-d up, a state/federal investigation is long overdue. Hopefully Billy can see what his responsibility is to society here. The next person jailed for no reason in that atmosphere may not be so fortunate to walk out after 8 hours. He and his family need to press and get a media onslaught going to push the case.

Loelco
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
So, let me get this straight, the PO has the right to fuck with a inncoent man (disabled at that), lock him up for the night for nothing, violate his rights up one and down the other, and your response is "Let go and move on in life?" Excuse me while I give up some more civil liberties so you can keep on being the high school bully. Have a nice day.

t&y
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm curious how this cop could go onto private property and arrest this kid on so little. If this is possible, anyone who stumbles while walking down the street is subject to arrest.

From what we know the cops observed him in a public place walking to and from the liqour store. The fact that they contacted him at the end of his walk is kinda irrelavant. It's not a get outta jail free card as soon as you hit private property.

Not excusing the idiocy behind this particular arrest, just explaining how that type of observation arrest usually occurs.

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Soooo u know, the police do NOT have to read a Miranda warning in this case, they DO NOT give a breath or blood test, just objective symptoms, write it, and book him. He would normally be released under 649B. No charges will be filed.

Newport is a mess on 7-4, has been for decades, basically if you are among others that are drinking heavily, expect the worst. Sort of a warning bell.

As far as a civil rights suit, he had better have alot more than what you described to be successful. U can file a complaint with PD, and they will investigate. That may be your only satisfaction if any.

I don't like to pre judge, so unless u or a sober reliable witness was present, overhearing most of the encounter, don't expect much. In the eyes of the 647F law, and Supreme Court decisions back in the 1970's, being drunk in public is about a nothing, book and release. As I recall it is a nondetainable crime and might not even show on the state rap sheet.

Just some reasonable views from 30+ years in LE and 8 as a PI. There is a time when to just let go and move on in life.

Not gonna start with you, I'm not pissed or upset but if this is how you feel and think things within a PD should be handled may I advise retirement for you?

So, let me get this straight, the PO has the right to fuck with a inncoent man (disabled at that), lock him up for the night for nothing, violate his rights up one and down the other, and your response is "Let go and move on in life?" Excuse me while I give up some more civil liberties so you can keep on being the high school bully. Have a nice day.

No Shit, and cops wonder why so many feel the way they do about abusive cops and f'd up PD's.

PVHCA
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
From what we know the cops observed him in a public place walking to and from the liqour store. The fact that they contacted him at the end of his walk is kinda irrelavant. It's not a get outta jail free card as soon as you hit private property.

Not excusing the idiocy behind this particular arrest, just explaining how that type of observation arrest usually occurs.

Yep he says he noticed the cop watching him both ways to and from the liquor store. When he grabbed him he wouldn't even let him offer an explanation.

Like my nephew said to me this morning, sad that a man with so much authority can be so stupid and so un-educated.

spectra3279
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
That sucks. And then cops bitch and threaten people when they try to film the atrocities

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

slowride
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Yeh, NBPD confused him with Dennis Rodman. Yeh, that's the ticket.....

spectra3279
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Shit there are 3 types of people who become cops.

1. The bullies in high-school.

2. The ones who were bullied in high-school.

3. Very few of these. The ones who want to make a difference.

Most cops have a hard time counting to 11 without taking off their shoes.

HolyMoly
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Shit there are 3 types of people who become cops.

1. The bullies in high-school.

2. The ones who were bullied in high-school.

3. Very few of these. The ones who want to make a difference.

Most cops have a hard time counting to 11 without taking off their shoes.

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SF2gpSB2V0

spectra3279
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
What happens to a cop when they take viagra?

They get taller!

Old Texan
07-06-2012, 01:39 PM

I and all appreciate the explanations BUT I've been around police and security enough through the years to know this is not how things are properly done. It's common sense and proper procedure to at least give sobriety tests of some sort when the smell and typical signs are not present. I cannot see how this can be explained away as any type of proper procedure. And I refuse to believe they can just go onto private property with such poor evidence and haul the kid off.

This guy judging from what we've been told, and there is no evidence to doubt it plus the department's history, again per posts in this thread, lead me to believe this guy is completely unfit for duty and the dept. is a bomb waitng to go off.

Old Texan
07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Yep he says he noticed the cop watching him both ways to and from the liquor store. When he grabbed him he wouldn't even let him offer an explanation.

Like my nephew said to me this morning, sad that a man with so much authority can be so stupid and so un-educated.

And that's why your nephew should make this into a public outrage. If not, this idiot's ego is gonna hurt someone else down the road.

Flyinbowtie
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Phil,

In my anger over another case of the badge I wore so proudly being tarnished, I neglected to point you in the right direction, and T&Y did...

-File formal complaint with dept. Follow through on complaint process. Do not let it fall away.
This gets the paper trail going and will start the internal affairs investigation. It should also lock down any video or audio evidence the cop shop is holding, either from the car or in the booking room.
At no time should Billy or his folks back down or agree to an "informal reprimand"

Do not discuss civil litigation in any way, shape, or form with PD. not in writing, not during conversation. Expect interview with P.D. to be taped.

-Contact ADA/Civil rights attorney. Get a damn good one. A damn good one should be easy to find down there. The smell of money will be in the water.

-Let every single family member and other party that was at the event who witnessed this know that you are pursuing a formal complaint, and tell them to not talk to the cop shop about it until the attorney advises them.

I agree with T&Y that this clown should be gone, and in my shop he would be gone, hell we would have done our best to never hire him in the first place.
Phil I am going to pm you my phone numbers and email...anything I can do at all...let me know.

Jeff

Oh and Spectra?

There is another kind.

The guys who beat the living shit out of the bullies when they caught them picking on the smaller, the weaker, or the quieter. The guys who give a damn.
The 90% of cops who are busting their asses every single day, and whom you never hear about.
The 90% who are carrying a 4 year degree, and can sure as fuck count to 11.
Don't burn the whole orchard because every once in a while we get a bad apple or a bad tree.
No one, and I mean no one...hates this kind of shit more than the good guys.
My guts have been churning since reading this last night...

MCnParker
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
After reading through all of this I did a quick search and found this, now I have no idea if the number of arrests is higher than normal but something to think about....
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0706-roundup-20120705,0,2975418.story

WATERDOG
07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
After reading through all of this I did a quick search and found this, now I have no idea if the number of arrests is higher than normal but something to think about....
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0706-roundup-20120705,0,2975418.story

So one ass of a cop did almost 20% of the busts for entire force. :grumble:
This POS might get a medal.

spectra3279
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Phil,

In my anger over another case of the badge I wore so proudly being tarnished, I neglected to point you in the right direction, and T&Y did...

-File formal complaint with dept. Follow through on complaint process. Do not let it fall away.
This gets the paper trail going and will start the internal affairs investigation. It should also lock down any video or audio evidence the cop shop is holding, either from the car or in the booking room.
At no time should Billy or his folks back down or agree to an "informal reprimand"

Do not discuss civil litigation in any way, shape, or form with PD. not in writing, not during conversation. Expect interview with P.D. to be taped.

-Contact ADA/Civil rights attorney. Get a damn good one. A damn good one should be easy to find down there. The smell of money will be in the water.

-Let every single family member and other party that was at the event who witnessed this know that you are pursuing a formal complaint, and tell them to not talk to the cop shop about it until the attorney advises them.

I agree with T&Y that this clown should be gone, and in my shop he would be gone, hell we would have done our best to never hire him in the first place.
Phil I am going to pm you my phone numbers and email...anything I can do at all...let me know.

Jeff

Oh and Spectra?

There is another kind.

The guys who beat the living shit out of the bullies when they caught them picking on the smaller, the weaker, or the quieter. The guys who give a damn.
The 90% of cops who are busting their asses every single day, and whom you never hear about.
The 90% who are carrying a 4 year degree, and can sure as fuck count to 11.
Don't burn the whole orchard because every once in a while we get a bad apple or a bad tree.
No one, and I mean no one...hates this kind of shit more than the good guys.
My guts have been churning since reading this last night...

See number 3. And they are very few and far between. Those are the real cops. The others are just on a power trip.

Wicky
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Billy arrived at a home rented by 4 of his friends parents, I guess a pretty big home. Not sure about underage drinking he didn't say but most are 20-21 y.o.'s from school. He and a girl he was with walked across the street for her to buy smokes. Billy noticed the 2 cops starring at him as they entered the liquor store, when he left and crossed the street he noticed them still starring. Let me explain, Billy isn't the typical C.P. patient, yes walks a lil gimpy but speech is fine, he never says to anyone that he's handicapped(he doesn't think he is) unless he's forced ie. this day. He entered onto the patio and the cop immediately came onto the property and yes pulled him out of the crowd of about 25-30 peeps. One of the mothers tried to intervene and the officer said he's drunk, she tried explaining that he had just arrived and had not drank at all, a father came out and tried explaining, same thing was said by the cop, then the cop became rude to anyone trying to explain. My nephew then tried explaining that he has C.P. and that's why he walks the way he does. He asked the cop to breath test him, nope, can I show you my A.D.A. card? Nope. My nephew figured oh well cops an asshole I'll just do what I gotta do. As the cops leaving with my nephew he shouts to the group, "Who want's to be victim number 19?" I guess he was proud that he had arrested 18 under age drinkers that day.

Fast forward to the jail, booking officer looks at my nephew and asks him why he's there, nephew says no idea, booking officer reads paperwork that says public intoxication, he looks at my nephew and says, "your not drunk", nephew says tell the arresting officer that so I can leave or can you blood test or breath test me? Booking officer says, we don't have to, nephew asks him well how do I prove my innocence? Cop says don't know.

Billy sits in jail for the mandatory 8 and gets out and goes to the house to spend a few hours asleep before he tells his parents. When he's leaving the arresting cop is posted out in the area and says to him, "how was your night in jail? Laughed at Billy and proceeded on"

Nothing more to add, no my nephew wasn't drunk, he wasn't disrespectful and he now seems to have a whole different out look on cops and our judicial system. He told his parents that if they contact an attorney it better not be a lawsuit about his C.P. or the like but what he feels as his rights were violated.

Sorry to hear this Phil. No video?

Wicky
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Phil and I had a mutual friend from high school that was at a bar, wasn't drunk, and went to his truck for his asthma inhaler during an asthma attack. He didn't make it in time and ended up lunging and dying over his front seat with his legs hanging out the door. Montclair PD saw this and figured he was just drunk so, they let him be. Next thing, Montclair PD is getting sued for a few cool mil and lose the case. In our litigious society today, cops have to walk a very fine line. Don't get me going on muffler tickets though.

EarpRider
07-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Do you know for a fact that the arresting officer was a Newport PD officer, OC Sheriff was working Newport that day. Just curious. I know the Chief of Newport very well, he's from Long Beach, very stand up guy.

Buoy
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I've given a fair amount of thought of this sort of thing happening to me.
I had a stroke almost a year ago, and still don't walk very well, and have limited use of my right arm.
It's actually easier to drive than to walk.
But, if I got pulled over and subjected to field sobriety test...
I couldn't walk a line or touch my nose or any of that crap.

Rvrluvr
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
sorry to hear this phil

Willie B
07-06-2012, 05:04 PM
...Sent the link to my cop,...attorney,... and judge friends... ...Not sure if any will chine in???...

...The PD defense will probably be we smelled alcohol on his breath but we simply didn't have the manpower to test everyone taken in's blood alcohol/breath level...

Wicky
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
...Have sent the link to all my cop,...attorney,... and judge friends... ...Not sure if they will chine in???...

You must not have heard but, Andy Griffith died the other day! J/K

t&y
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I and all appreciate the explanations BUT I've been around police and security enough through the years to know this is not how things are properly done.

You asked how the cop could go on to private property to make that arrest and I explained how and why. Pretty simple. The rest of the issues around the arrest are very questionable, not the procedure used to do it;)

Now if your talking about your personal beleifs regarding a cop entering private property to affect an arrest that's a whole other subject and a very small part of the issues here.

PolarBearKing
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
...The PD defense will probably be we smelled alcohol on his breath but we simply didn't have the manpower to test everyone taken in's blood alcohol/breath level...

Yep .....and thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts.

Ultracrazy
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Do you know for a fact that the arresting officer was a Newport PD officer, OC Sheriff was working Newport that day. Just curious. I know the Chief of Newport very well, he's from Long Beach, very stand up guy.

OCSD was there but they were running a mobil booking process center.

Ultracrazy
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
...Have sent the link to all my cop,...attorney,... and judge friends... ...Not sure if they will chine in???...

They don't take blood or breath tests on a simple 647F.

msjbtex
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM

FUCK THAT!!! Adopting this roll over and take it attitude is what gives these bad cops their sense of invincibility!! If you have been an officer of the law sworn to protect the public how can you possibly advise someone to take such an apathetic position? If you care about the law you should be concerned about one of your "brothers" twisting it to be disbursed as he sees fit. WTF man!!!!

Willie B
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I've given a fair amount of thought of this sort of thing happening to me.
I had a stroke almost a year ago, and still don't walk very well, and have limited use of my right arm.
It's actually easier to drive than to walk.
But, if I got pulled over and subjected to field sobriety test...
I couldn't walk a line or touch my nose or any of that crap.

...I can identify with you on this... ...I broke my neck 40 years ago,...and due to nerve damage the left sde of my body does not function quite the same as the right... ...Walking at times can be difficult... ...I was in Austin Texas a few years ago and crossed the street on a green light to check out another music venue... ...The bouncer at the front door stopped me and said no way... ...I said why???... ...His response,...I saw you stagger crossing the street... ...I had not been drinking... ...I explained to him that I had broken my neck and that mobility at times was difficult for me... ...I showed him the long scar at the base of my neck and explained about the crushed and severed nerves and spinal fusion... ...His response,...I saw you stagger... ...This guy then put his hand out as if to push me away but fortunately didn't...

...I was fuming, so I went around the corner got out my camera went back up to him and snapped a picture with the flash about 3 inches from his face... ...I knew he wouldn't be able to see for awhile so I just stood back and watched him flounder... ...Paybacks are a bitch... ...Never saw him the rest of the night???...

...I have to give the young man who is the subject of this thread allot of credit for not folding up... ...I was pissed for a month... ...Somewhere I still have the photo of the guy who got flashed...:D

shintoooo
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
...I was fuming, so I went around the corner got out my camera went back up to him and snapped a picture with the flash about 3 inches from his face... ...I knew he wouldn't be able to see for awhile so I just stood back and watched him flounder... ...Paybacks are a bitch... ...Never saw him the rest of the night???...

...I have to give the young man who is the subject of this thread allot of credit for not folding up... ...I was pissed for a month... ...Somewhere I still have the photo of the guy who got flashed...:D

OK that's Funny :D

V.O.R.F
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
This whole thing sounds like a completely fucked up situation with a cop who clearly needs at the very least a non paid vacation and some serious attitude correction.

but keep this in mind.

Newport beach is consistantly ranked amongst the wealthiest and most desireable places in the USA to live, great schools, very high priced Real Estate, very conservative residents. Santa Ana, which is pretty much the polar opposite, is right next door. Also add in that fact that millions of 909'ers flood the town during the summer months bringing all kinds of bullshit and riff raff with them. the police in Newport are expected by the residents (IE the people who pay them) to uphold a certain standard of protection and living, which really means they have to take a ZERO tolerance stance on a lot of things that others towns you could get away with. Yeah, MOST of the PD in Newport wont cut you any slack, but there is a reason.

that being said, I'm not trying to defend this particular officers actions, but kinda speak more to the "Newport PD are assholes" comment.

Deleted Account
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
This whole thing sounds like a completely fucked up situation with a cop who clearly needs at the very least a non paid vacation and some serious attitude correction.

but keep this in mind.

Newport beach is consistantly ranked amongst the wealthiest and most desireable places in the USA to live, great schools, very high priced Real Estate, very conservative residents. Santa Ana, which is pretty much the polar opposite, is right next door. Also add in that fact that millions of 909'ers flood the town during the summer months bringing all kinds of bullshit and riff raff with them. the police in Newport are expected by the residents (IE the people who pay them) to uphold a certain standard of protection and living, which really means they have to take a ZERO tolerance stance on a lot of things that others towns you could get away with. Yeah, MOST of the PD in Newport wont cut you any slack, but there is a reason.

that being said, I'm not trying to defend this particular officers actions, but kinda speak more to the "Newport PD are assholes" comment.

Been there, inhabitated that. LOL... Just did the Balboa fairy crossing deal. Kids love it...:D

Moody
07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
NPB Police found my little girls stolen bicycle. I thanked them and made sure my 6 year old did too.

Willie B
07-06-2012, 09:34 PM

but keep this in mind.

...I spent a lot of time there at a girlfriends place in the early
'80's... ...Much drinking and partying out on the town involved... ...Never had an issue with the PD...By then it was just starting to attract an undesirable element... ...An friend/acquaintance who had been born into wealth...had private resto shop on the peninsula at his families compound... ...As the influx of undesirables grew he finally built a home up on the bluffs of Costa Mesa with a huge underground shop... ...He just couldn't take the pampers on the beach stuff any longer...

...My girlfriend and I were going to rent a small cottage type home on the island but in looking over what direction Newport was going,...opted out of it... ...Probably a wise decision...

wishiknew
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM

but keep this in mind.

OK lets start here I am 56 years old and since I was 16 years I knew Never to Drive Into Newport Beach Or Claremont Period. Still to this day I Avoid Newport Beach (except when I have to work there ) like the Plague Now 5 years ago I did what I said I would Never Do and Brought a House In Claremont. Like It a Lot Just shudder every time I see a Cop and thats almost everyday.

t&y
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
OK lets start here I am 56 years old and since I was 16 years I knew Never to Drive Into Newport Beach Or Claremont Period. Still to this day I Avoid Newport Beach (except when I have to work there ) like the Plague Now 5 years ago I did what I said I would Never Do and Brought a House In Claremont. Like It a Lot Just shudder every time I see a Cop and thats almost everyday.

Damn your life must suck or you have a tattoo across your head that says "Arrest Me"... I kid I kid...:D

I have family that lives in Newport, have had girlfriends there, hung/hang out on the beach there, etc... never really had a problem with the cops. I have always known (kind of an unspoken rule) that when going there on New Years or the 4th watch your P's and Q's. They deal with thousands of transplants that are simply there to party and most seem to take up the attitude that the streets are the bar. That's going to piss off a lot of the locals and put pressure on the agency to enforce drunk in public type laws at higher levels on those nights.

Kinda like going to Bobbie Maggies in Brea. They would wait outside and arrest all kinds of people all the time. If you went there you learned the rules real quick or your arrest record went through the roof.

This particular situation boggles my mind simply for the idiocy involved on the part of the cop. I have no problem with the observation and contact, that is what they are there to do. But all it would have taken was a small bit of actual police work/investigation to figure out he was disabled and not drunk. Further more, what the fuck happened to telling the family members to keep him on the property or to take care of him even if he really was drunk (otherwise known as a warning)? If what has been reported on here is exactally how it went down it is nothing more than lazy police work and the kind that will end up getting that cop fired or in prison one day. I would never last in NBPD if that is how they roll 24/7 (I don't believe they do). There are much bigger fish to fry out there than a drunk in public on the 4th.

dribble
07-07-2012, 09:29 AM
NPB Police found my little girls stolen bicycle. I thanked them and made sure my 6 year old did too.

OK so what I've learned here is that NBPD has solved two major crimes. They took a handicapped young man off the street and threw him in jail for eight hours and found a stolen bike. That is police work at its best.

Lavey29
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Phil, I have not read all of the the thread but skimmed some of the relative posts. My suggestions are for the young man and/or his family to file an immediate complaint with the WC. When you book someone into jail there are medical screening forms filled out with various questions that must be asked. They are also required to be signed by the person arrested although the person can refuse to sign any and all docs if they want. I would be curious to see what these medical forms list and if your nephew signed them. Also, with my agency the only way you can arrest someone for being drunk in public is if there is no one around such as friend of family to care for their safety and they are basically arrested for their own safety. Most of the time time if they live close by they can be driven home and left with a family member. If you are arrested for drunk in public 647F pc at my agency, you will be released when you sober up and no charges are filed. You are released pursuant to 849(B)(2) pc. This dates back to the old west days when they would just lock you up till you sobered up and then send you on your way. Now, habitual drunks such as transients can be arrested and cited because they often pose continued problems for businesses, traffic, etc... Also, if you are arrested at my agency and you request a breath test for drunk in public charge one will be given. I would be curious to see if NP beach has s similar policy in place.

I would start with a complaint and review of the booking documents. Also review of any video tape that shows the booking cell area. Those friends that were witnesses should be ready to give their statements if the WC opens up an admin investigation/inquiry. If you have any specific questions Phil, PM me.

V.O.R.F
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM

I see cops everyday and they dont cause me fear. some of you guys need to examine your life choices.

Lavey29
07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I see cops everyday and they dont cause me fear. some of you guys need to examine your life choices.

This is the norm for probably 90% of the good people living in the U.S. Only the criminals should fear the cops. Does that mean every single cop is a good cop. Nope, but the vast majority do their job in a professional manner with pride.

Racey
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Funny this thread came up, today this was posted on reddit, it's a comparison of two municipalities police training videos, one of them happens to be Newport Beach's, compared to Decatur's (IL i believe).....

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/07/police-recruitment-videos-from.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgt8pmh7CU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_rKA6ROAVk

3queens
07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Great find :thumbsup
NPPD suck they hasel everyone without the NPB zip code :fingers:

WTMFA
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Funny this thread came up, today this was posted on reddit, it's a comparison of two municipalities police training videos, one of them happens to be Newport Beach's, compared to Decatur's (IL i believe).....

Police Recruitment Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgt8pmh7CU)

The Newport Beach Police Dept - Are You Qualified? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_rKA6ROAVk)

WOW............more like a Special Forces recruitment video :skull

Havasu Hangin'
07-08-2012, 08:51 PM

True story- I know a kid who got beat up by a cop while he was delivering newspapers years ago. Apparently, the cop was having a bad day, and got fired for it. It turns out that he had a history of abusing citizens.

Yes, that kid is afraid of cops to this day.

I guess he needs to examine his life choice in delivering newspapers....lol.

milkmoney
07-08-2012, 08:59 PM
True story- I know a kid who got beat up by a cop while he was delivering newspapers years ago. Apparently, the cop was having a bad day, and got fired for it. It turns out that he had a history of abusing citizens.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

TPC
07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Newport makes a lot of DUI busts,, evidently.
I'm a member of the Newport Elks and we get a steady stream of girls that need to earn some community service hours as part of their DUI probation.

They serve food to kids groups we award Scholarships and other awards to, help out in the kitchen and clean the dining room and help with charity functions for hours off their sentence.

Not a town to drink and drive in.

Sorry to read Phils story.
The Newport Boat cops are always cool to us.

Ya have to beef these incidences at the PD HQ and use the system.

t&y
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Interesting...

True story. I work with two officer that were responding to what we know now was a bogus call only to be fired upon multiple times by a guy with a high powered rifle. Apparently the guy was just having a bad day and ended up losing his life in a shoot out with the police because of it. Turns out he had a history of violence against officers and the public.

Yes, those two cops are vigilant and aware of their surrounding probably a bit more than the average person walking around.

They examined their life choice to be in this profession back then and I'm sure till do daily. Both of them have moved on from patrol into investigative fields and are doing well.

What either of these two story's have to do with the idiot cop in Phil's scenario I don't know, I guess it was just share time.;)

RiverDave
07-09-2012, 02:10 AM

Holy Shit... I would not want to be his father right now.. Just reading this made my blood boil. If someone did that to my kid, especially under those circumstances I don't even know what I'd do. If I managed to see through the anger and keep it together, I'd be pounding on whoever the bosses office door was the next day demanding retribution. (Don't even care about the money, I'd want this guys ass gone, and I mean right fuckin now)

The intake officer said he wasent drunk then did nothing about it?

Standing by and doing nothing is just as guilty as being a party to it in my mind.

I will let you know what goes on from here. My brother has a lot of connects with lawyers down in the O.C. so I'm sure he and his wife and Billy are just getting their ducks in a row and then decide where to go from here.

In theory a citizens rights shouldn't be and can't.. I hope they take this all the way and "Make an Example" of him..

You asked how the cop could go on to private property to make that arrest and I explained how and why. Pretty simple. The rest of the issues around the arrest are very questionable, not the procedure used to do it;)

Now if your talking about your personal beleifs regarding a cop entering private property to affect an arrest that's a whole other subject and a very small part of the issues here.

T&Y, you said you explained how, but you didn't explain how.. I read all the posts, and I was wondering the same thing about the private property? I'm not a lawyer (but I'm gonna ask one tomorrow).. I was always under the impression that if your back on private property, they missed their opportunity? That's not to say if they are in pursuit and you make it home kinda deal. But you know what I mean, without me having to get into all the details.. If they wanted to make that contact it should've happened in the street. Once your back on your soil, guy says "Come here" I say "No thank you, have a nice night." I do not believe they can come onto your property, nor do I believe you have to follow their direction for them to lure you off of it?

This is the norm for probably 90% of the good people living in the U.S. Only the criminals should fear the cops. Does that mean every single cop is a good cop. Nope, but the vast majority do their job in a professional manner with pride.

Well as one of the 90% I can tell you that I fear cops.. Has more to do with being mistreated by so many I'd have to take off my shoes to count them all as someone put it earlier.. And having pleasant experiences that I could count on one hand. Note I'm not talking about saying hello to some cop.. I'm talking stopped by a cop for whatever reason, or even in 2 instances when I called them for something.

I don't want to side track the thread, but I am real curious on this private property thing.. If the kid made it back to private party and they came in afterwards?? I'm not sure that's correct?

And not argumentative to VORF, but you said these idiots walking around with guns are doing more harm then good.. I wonder if officer crazy ass would've acted the same if there was 25 armed civilians on that private property. I'd wager the entire thing wouldn't have happened, and there in lies the problem with disarming a society. You remove the balance of power.

RD

t&y
07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
T&Y, you said you explained how, but you didn't explain how.. I read all the posts, and I was wondering the same thing about the private property? I'm not a lawyer (but I'm gonna ask one tomorrow).. I was always under the impression that if your back on private property, they missed their opportunity? That's not to say if they are in pursuit and you make it home kinda deal. But you know what I mean, without me having to get into all the details.. If they wanted to make that contact it should've happened in the street. Once your back on your soil, guy says "Come here" I say "No thank you, have a nice night." I do not believe they can come onto your property, nor do I believe you have to follow their direction for them to lure you off of it?

Look at it in it's simplest of terms. The violations they observed occurred in public.:thumbsup You nor I know when they decided to contact him. If it were long after they observed him walking around I would agree they missed the boat. If it was as soon as he makes it back when they are contacting him they are good. That's assuming they were outside the house on a patio or something and not inside. Inside contact, uninvited, for that minor of an offense I would agree with you. It's the minor details that will get you.

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
What either of these two story's have to do with the idiot cop in Phil's scenario I don't know, I guess it was just share time.;)

I think the difference is that a LEO chooses his profession, knows what he is getting into, and actually gets paid to do it.

The kid on the paper route made no "bad life choices", as V.O.R.F asked about.

I just think it very funny (and a little bit sad) how the same members come on here every single time and defend a bad LEO's actions like their life depended on it. The only thing I can figure out is that it must be part of the police acedemy training...lol.

Are there good LEO's out there? You bet.
Are their hero LEO's out there who do something selfless off the clock? You bet.

That still doesn't take away the fact that some idiot makes all the rest look bad, like in every other profession in this world. No need to try and balance it.

PVHCA
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
A little update.

My nephew and brother have requested a copy of the police report(per their attorney), yes they have retained one, a former O.C. D.A. that specializes in this type of suit. PD is stating 2 weeks. My brother met personally with the attorney and couldn't believe how upset this guy got when he was told of what happened. My brother figured he's be a typical attorney but this guy is pissed, basically told my brother that he's sick to his stomach with this type of B.S. that certain cops think they can get away with.

Until more comes out that's where this stands.

On a side note my brother had a very long conversation with his son too make sure nothing pertinent was missing from his story, just wanting to make sure that my nephew wasn't keeping anything from the attorney.

My nephew said to my brother, "Dad got nothing to hide, was gonna drink later that day but had just got there", he laughed and said "shit dad never even cracked open a coldie".

Oh ya the attorney did say to them, "be prepared to read a lot of lies on the police report"!!

franky
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
A little update.

Oh ya the attorney did say to them, "be prepared to read a lot of lies on the police report"!!

EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!

I am sure your nephew was combative...:rolleyes:

PVHCA
07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!

I am sure your nephew was combative...:rolleyes:

Tried kicking them with his crooked foot, LOL!!

To be honest, for those that have met my nephew he doesn't seem to have a handicap, matter of fact when the doctor suggested years ago that he did, he looked at him like he was crazy.

NiceGuyEddie
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
That sucks!! Sorry to hear Phil:thumbsdown

On the 4th in 2010 I had the cops accuse me of throwing those Monster Snap (little popper fireworks)...ya know.. the ones 5 year old kids throw at the ground and they pop.:rolleyes:

The cop made me sit on the curb, asked me 30 questions I told him it wasn't me and if I wasn't being cited or arrested I'd like to be let go. He kept threatening to bust me for drunk in public however it was early in the day and I had yet to have one sip of alcohol. So I kept pleading the 5th..:cool: While this cop was yelling at me, his cop buddy comes over and says "hey it wasn't him, it was this other guy" and they took off to wear he was about 15 yards from me. Me and my friend started walking and the same cop ran up behind my grabbed my shoulder and apologized for accusing me. I'll admit, it was pretty gentleman-like for him to do that, however it was chicken shit for him to jump my shit with no proof. There were dozens of others around and he just blamed me.

Flyinbowtie
07-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Phil...

Were they able to determine if it was an 849(b)(2) release or is the report being sent to the DA for complaint? Two weeks for a copy of the police report that should have been finished that day is B.S.
Couldn't have picked a better attorney.
Former DA who knows how the local system works.
Pleases me he is pissed about this.

NiceGuyEddie
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Police Recruitment Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgt8pmh7CU)

The Newport Beach Police Dept - Are You Qualified? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_rKA6ROAVk)

That 2nd video just made me sick to my stomach! As the government pushes us further into a Police State, this will only get much worse. :thumbsdown

PVHCA
07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Phil...

Were they able to determine if it was an 849(b)(2) release or is the report being sent to the DA for complaint? Two weeks for a copy of the police report that should have been finished that day is B.S.
Couldn't have picked a better attorney.
Former DA who knows how the local system works.
Pleases me he is pissed about this.

My brother is heading to Newport PD today with my nephew and is getting the report, he called and demanded the report from what I understand. I don't know what type of report it was but he is handling it.

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Phil, make sure they get copies of the booking records also and video of the booking cell area (if any). I am guessing they have a medical screening form. It is pretty standard for all agencies to have some sort of form asking basic medical questions to determine whether or not a person can stay in the jail. This form may or may not have been signed by the officer and your nephew. Would shed some additional light on things I believe.

On a side note, years ago when I was working patrol we used to get calls sometimes for passed out intoxicated persons both inside and outside of private property and upon arriving, determined that they were not intoxicated but having diabetic shock. Initial appearance can look very similar but properly trained person can tel the difference pretty quick based on observations.

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Well as one of the 90% I can tell you that I fear cops.. Has more to do with being mistreated by so many I'd have to take off my shoes to count them all as someone put it earlier.. And having pleasant experiences that I could count on one hand. Note I'm not talking about saying hello to some cop.. I'm talking stopped by a cop for whatever reason, or even in 2 instances when I called them for something.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion based on your personal experiences and not all contacts will be positive for sure.

It is funny but if you think about it, generally there are typically 3 primary reasons you have contact with LE:

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

Now if you consider any one or a combination of these 3 things, no matter how you slice it, the average everyday citizen is going to be in a pissed off mood and direct that anger towards the LE. Just part of doing business and is to be expected and handled appropriately. Usually a good explanation by the LE will help keep things at a lesser level but not always. I believe that the majority of good persons out there don't fear cops and trust them and their judgement, however, there are those exceptions too as you stated for yourself.

I can remember getting all kinds of tickets as a kid with a fixed up car. Getting stopped with my friends and having beers in the car and having to pour them all out before being sent on my way, etc....my local PD treated me firm but fair and I learned my lessons for sure. Even though at the time, I perceived everything as negative, as I grew older I realized that I was being treated very fairly and professionally even though I was just a teenager who thought he knew everything like every other teenager out there. These impressions stuck with me over the years and helped form some of my ways of handling business at work today.

Slow What
07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
It is funny but if you think about it, generally there are typically 3 primary reasons you have contact with LE:

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

I don't have a big problem with L.E. have family that are...but...what you wrote here is crap...when i was young i worked some weird shifts...getting off anywhere from 2-4am and used to get pulled over all the time...no ticket's from it...they were just fishing...every car i owned had a plate light out or some other bullshit story

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM

1. getting a ticket
2. getting arrested
3. victim of a crime

I have had many dealings with LEOs, both positive and negative. I have had positive experiences when getting a ticket, and negative experiences when being the victim of a crime, so it's potentially all over the board.

Having had a little education, the one thing I've noticed is that LEOs seem to struggle with "power vs authority".

Their job description is to serve the public interest, so anyone law-abiding citizen should never even know they are there. So when someone says:

I have always known (kind of an unspoken rule) that when going there on New Years or the 4th watch your P's and Q's.

That is a good indication that the police are not doing their job properly. No one should ever fear police contact, but it's obvious that many, many, law-abiding citizens out there do. These feelings are not out there for no reason.

I think where it goes south (like this thread) is where a LEO with abuse "power" instead of exercising "authority"- those guys should definately find a new line of work, because they make all the good ones look bad.

Like I said earlier, the true comedy (and frankly a little scary) part of all these threads is the select groups of LEOs that come on here everytime and check the appropriate box:

A). There's more to the story- what you are saying can't be true because LEOs never make mistakes.
B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs.
C). If you only knew the other side to how much good cops do, then this stuff is justifiable.
D). All of the above.

Welcome to Fantasyland- it's not just for Disneyland anymore...lol.

t&y
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I think the difference is that a LEO chooses his profession, knows what he is getting into, and actually gets paid to do it.

The kid on the paper route made no "bad life choices", as V.O.R.F asked about.

Obviously his broad statement doesn't ring true in all cases. And I'm pretty sure the paperboy chose to be a paperboy just like the cop chose to be a cop. Neither one of those choices should allow unwarranted attacks.;) I hope we can agree on that.

I just think it very funny (and a little bit sad) how the same members come on here every single time and defend a bad LEO's actions like their life depended on it. The only thing I can figure out is that it must be part of the police acedemy training...lol.

Are there good LEO's out there? You bet.
Are their hero LEO's out there who do something selfless off the clock? You bet.

That still doesn't take away the fact that some idiot makes all the rest look bad, like in every other profession in this world. No need to try and balance it.

Who is defending the cops arrest? I think you are taking the discussion a bit to serious.

t&y
07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Having had a little education, the one thing I've noticed is that LEOs seem to struggle with "power vs authority".

Their job description is to serve the public interest, so anyone law-abiding citizen should never even know they are there. So when someone says:

Originally Posted by t&y
I have always known (kind of an unspoken rule) that when going there on New Years or the 4th watch your P's and Q's.

That is a good indication that the police are not doing their job properly. No one should ever fear police contact, but it's obvious that many, many, law-abiding citizens out there do. These feelings are not out there for no reason.

Really:rolleyes: So because I and upteen others are smart enough to not break the laws in an area where the cops enforce them... that is an indication that the police are not doing thier job properly:headscratch:. I'd say it is a bit more of common sense than fear of cops, but what do I know:thumbsup

I think where it goes south (like this thread) is where a LEO with abuse "power" instead of exercising "authority"- those guys should definately find a new line of work, because they make all the good ones look bad.

Like I said earlier, the true comedy (and frankly a little scary) part of all these threads is the select groups of LEOs that come on here everytime and check the appropriate box:

A). There's more to the story- what you are saying can't be true because LEOs never make mistakes.
B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs.
C). If you only knew the other side to how much good cops do, then this stuff is justifiable.
D). All of the above.

Welcome to Fantasyland- it's not just for Disneyland anymore...lol.

I'll entertain the drama for a good laugh.

A) Are you the type that still beleives everything word for word that you hear in the media? Do you understand there is more than one side to a story?
B) Please identify the LEO in here that said that.
C) Please identify the LEO in here that said that.

You might want to consider who is giving Phil advise on how to approach this thing and offering their assitance off the boards. Have you noticed that just about all of the LEO's in here have said they think the arrest is bogus?

On another note, it is a Cop bashing thread, go ahead, let it all out:thumbsup

On another note, is it you or one of the other "Havasu (insert rest of name here)" guys that is retired LEO?

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Really:rolleyes: So because I and upteen others are smart enough to not break the laws in an area where the cops enforce them... that is an indication that the police are not doing thier job properly:headscratch:. I'd say it is a bit more of common sense than fear of cops, but what do I know

If there is a perception that someone needs to "watch their P's and Q's" is a certain city, then the police presence is not doing their job of seamless integration.

A quick story- I grew up in HB, and both HB and Newport and bad reputations back then. The "unwritten rule" was never to make contact with LEO's, because they are all "pricks".

I was a law-abiding citizen, breaking no laws, who happen to be approached by a HB police officer. Surprisingly enough, he was a real prick, using abusive language, etc (very unprofessional). I was issued a ticket, that I took to court and got found not guilty. He showed up, BTW, and was a prick there, too...lol.

So now fast forward.

To me, all it took was one prick (that happened to work for HBPD) to give me a negative impression of all HBPD, and fear any contact, because frankly, you never knew what they would write you up for, and even make some stuff up, as they acted unprofessionally, maybe even abusing power.

I would say that if law-abiding citizens are afraid of contact with a police department, they are not doing their job properly, and I bet the City Council would agree with that- in fact, I know that to be true.

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't have a big problem with L.E. have family that are...but...what you wrote here is crap...when i was young i worked some weird shifts...getting off anywhere from 2-4am and used to get pulled over all the time...no ticket's from it...they were just fishing...every car i owned had a plate light out or some other bullshit story

Hence the word "generally" in my post. There are various other types and reasons for contacts of course but primarily those 3 areas cover the majority of reasons people come in contact with LE.

t&y
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
If there is a perception that someone needs to "watch their P's and Q's" is a certain city, then the police presence is not doing their job of seamless integration.

A quick story- I grew up in HB, and both HB and Newport and bad reputations back then. The "unwritten rule" was never to make contact with LEO's, because they are all "pricks".

I was a law-abiding citizen, breaking no laws, who happen to be approached by a HB police officer. Surprisingly enough, he was a real prick, using abusive language, etc (very unprofessional). I was issued a ticket, that I took to court and got found not guilty. He showed up, BTW, and was a prick there, too...lol.

So now fast forward.

To me, all it took was one prick (that happened to work for HBPD) to give me a negative impression of all HBPD, and fear any contact, because frankly, you never knew what they would write you up for, and even make some stuff up, as they acted unprofessionally, maybe even abusing power.

I would say that if law-abiding citizens are afraid of contact with a police department, they are not doing their job properly, and I bet the City Council would agree with that- in fact, I know that to be true.

Well, so all it took was on prick for you to have a negative impression of the entire HBPD. Some, including me, would say that is the definition of ignorance. Apply that same logic to most things in life and you come up with the same result. Good luck to you, I digress.

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Well, so all it took was on prick for you to have a negative impression of the entire HBPD. Some, including me, would say that is the definition of ignorance. Apply that same logic to most things in life and you come up with the same result. Good luck to you, I digress.

Hey, it's a numbers game. If 100% of my contacts were bad, then I am merely playing the odds. I would hate to go through that experience again, so now I "watch my P's and Q's", just like you pointed out.

I do have friends that are LEOs, and they are not pricks, so I know not all are- too bad they don't work in HB...lol.

Kinda funny how the LEOs come on here and call me "ignorant" instead of identifying and trying to fix a perception issue in their profession...lol.

I guess that falls under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs"

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin';1116632]I have had many dealings with LEOs, both positive and negative. I have had positive experiences when getting a ticket, and negative experiences when being the victim of a crime, so it's potentially all over the board.

I find it interesting that in your follow up posts you describe one negative contact with HBPD formed your whole opinion that all of HBPD were bad cops and yet here you describe having various positive and negative experiences. Safe to say that if you have a negative contact with a cop then he and possibly his entire agency suck but did not hear you say that when you had a positive contact that he (or she) and the entire agency must be good cops. You contradict yourself in various ways throughout this thread. The majority of LE does not struggle with power versus authority. They have both the power and the authority to enforce the laws of our state, make arrests, write tickets, keep people safe,etc.... They need to use both as appropriate and in a professional manner within policy and our state and federal laws.

I don't see one post in this entire thread supporting the actions of the officer in Phils situation and that is only hearing the story 3rd hand from Phil without even knowing all of the facts, just speculating but doing so in favor of Phils nephew and trying to provide some help with the situation.

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey, it's a numbers game. If 100% of my contacts were bad, then I am merely playing the odds. I would hate to go through that experience again, so now I "watch my P's and Q's", just like you pointed out.

I do have friends that are LEOs, and they are not pricks, so I know not all are- too bad they don't work in HB...lol.

Kinda funny how the LEOs come on here and call me "ignorant" instead of identifying and trying to fix a perception issue in their profession...lol.

I guess that falls under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs"

In all the cop threads that have been posted over the years I do not believe I have read one that was posted by a LEO wherein he stated that "all cops are good cops period". Human nature is what it is and that being said there will always be a small percentage of cops throughout the Country that should never have been cops in the first place for a variety of reasons. I can tell you that there are pretty good internal mechanisms in place at most agencies to weed out the bad cops before they do anything stupid and/or criminal but a few slide through under the radar too. Some agencies just have better training and hiring standards then others and it shows in their performance. In the future, if you have contact with LE for any reason hopefully you will start out with a positive view of the contact and end with the same if you are treated fairly and professionally no matter what the circumstance.

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I find it interesting that in your follow up posts you describe one negative contact with HBPD formed your whole opinion that all of HBPD were bad cops and yet here you describe having various positive and negative experiences. Safe to say that if you have a negative contact with a cop then he and possibly his entire agency suck but did not hear you say that when you had a positive contact that he (or she) and the entire agency must be good cops. You contradict yourself in various ways throughout this thread. The majority of LE does not struggle with power versus authority. They have both the power and the authority to enforce the laws of our state, make arrests, write tickets, keep people safe,etc.... They need to use both as appropriate and in a professional manner within policy and our state and federal laws.

Well, I haven't shared all my anecdotes because only the ones that are relative to the posts in this thread.

As for the "power vs authority" thing, there wern't alot of pictures in that book, so I won't get into that...lol.

Here, we'll file this one too under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs."

In the future, if you have contact with LE for any reason hopefully you will start out with a positive view of the contact and end with the same if you are treated fairly and professionally no matter what the circumstance.

I know you find this hard to believe, but I have a good attittude about LEOs these days. Me and my friends have a good sense of humor about alot of things.

I just think it's crazy how much of a hard line a few members take anytime a LEO is questioned on these forums....they are almost worse than the DCB guys!

The one thing I have learned over my lifetime is that you can't fix a problem if you don't first identify it...and the lack of humility most LEOs exhibit doesn't seem to let them even admit there are problems (like there are everywhere in life).

"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.

Lavey29
07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Well, I haven't shared all my anecdotes because only the ones that are relative to the posts in this thread.

As for the "power vs authority" thing, there wern't alot of pictures in that book, so I won't get into that...lol.

Here, we'll file this one too under:

"B). You guys are all criminals if you talk negative about LEOs."

I know you find this hard to believe, but I have a good attittude about LEOs these days. Me and my friends have a good sense of humor about alot of things.

I just think it's crazy how much of a hard line a few members take anytime a LEO is questioned on these forums....they are almost worse than the DCB guys!

The one thing I have learned over my lifetime is that you can't fix a problem if you don't first identify it...and the lack of humility most LEOs exhibit doesn't seem to let them even admit there are problems (like there are everywhere in life).

"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.

I think the best advice I can give you is don't let one or a few bad examples of service taint your view that all LEO's have the problems you have alluded to. Some certainly do but the vast majority is still doing the job with professionalism and pride the way they should be performing. I also feel your statement in line B sort of demonstrates your overall attitude which appears negative based on your posts and even ignorant to some degree. I would still "humbly" offer you a beer and admire your Cig boat if you stopped next to me though so discussing opinions in an adult manner (is that possible on RDP?) can be informative and sometimes even productive.

We have deviated quite a bit and the bottom line here hopefully Phils nephew and family will find out the true facts of the situation and follow up as needed with an appropriate response.

SydneyRaysDad
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been following this thread for a bit and I guess it's time to throw in my two cents. First, I'm a cop. Not a LEO or LE or all the other acronyms used to describe police officers in these threads. No offense taken it's just a fact. Second, I work in a very large city that is full of gangsters and other assholes that are out there commiting very real, very violent crimes on an hourly basis. Unfortunately when you work in a smaller beach/tourist type city where there isn't "real" crime you have to find work where you can find it. Let's all agree to disagree that we don't pay cops to "Smile, Wave, and Talk" we pay them to keep us safe and keep unruly actors off the street in the city where we live. If you live in a small beach city, thats the "drunk" guy walking out of the bars........luckily for me it's the gangster doing a drive by on his rival hood.

PVHCA
07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I should have titled the thread, Newport Cop but there was 3 so I titled it Cops, LOL!! Arresting officer, his partner and the booking officer all failed my nephew, IMO.

I was told by another cop friend that from the info I've shared with him the arresting officer should NEVER have arrested him even if he had shown signs of drinking. Says proper protocol is to make sure subject can take care of themselves, if subject was in any type of danger to himself or others than it's the officers call. Also said with so many friends around should have just issued a citation and if he believed he was slammered release him to the custody of one of the parents. But since he had not been drinking then the whole thing just seems weird.

IMO just another cop(not all cops) with a hard on and wanting to flex his authoritative muscles, and no I do not thing this is the norm or the majority, IMO most cops are good guys doing a very tough job that I wouldn't do.

probablecause
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I've been following this thread for a bit and I guess it's time to throw in my two cents. First, I'm a cop. Not a LEO or LE or all the other acronyms used to describe police officers in these threads. No offense taken it's just a fact. Second, I work in a very large city that is full of gangsters and other assholes that are out there commiting very real, very violent crimes on an hourly basis. Unfortunately when you work in a smaller beach/tourist type city where there isn't "real" crime you have to find work where you can find it. Let's all agree to disagree that we don't pay cops to "Smile, Wave, and Talk" we pay them to keep us safe and keep unruly actors off the street in the city where we live. If you live in a small beach city, thats the "drunk" guy walking out of the bars........luckily for me it's the gangster doing a drive by on his rival hood.

x2

The problem I have when I hear stories like the OP is that the agency is generally marching to a beat from the "top down" which is kind of sad. If this were a rogue officer, well OK, but you hear enough of these stories with the "beach" city departments that you have to wonder what the message from the administration really is. As an "Administrator" (one of "them" but in Southeast Los Angeles), this officer would have his ass reamed if the incident is correct. Additionally, to bring someone into jail with a medical condition for public intox is a no-no. They had better be falling down drunk. Find them a ride home.

Now onto Miranda... The problem is that most people think that Miranda is a requirement for every crime. However, it is not needed at all unless you are going to be engaging the person in custody in questions where he/she could say something that would incriminate them. I don't need to read them to someone who I arrest for being drunk in public, driving with a suspended license, or who I see committing a crime. It might be nice to know their state of mind but for most basic misdemeanors, forget about it.

thetub
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
"Being humble is not a sign of weakness"...words to live by.[/QUOTE]:thumbsup

slowride
07-10-2012, 08:47 AM
x2

Now onto Miranda... The problem is that most people think that Miranda is a requirement for every crime. However, it is not needed at all unless you are going to be engaging the person in custody in questions where he/she could say something that would incriminate them. I don't need to read them to someone who I arrest for being drunk in public, driving with a suspended license, or who I see committing a crime. It might be nice to know their state of mind but for most basic misdemeanors, forget about it.

Don't you get a large amount of info BEFORE Mirandizing someone? Like.... where did you come from, what were you doing there, who were you with..... info that may be incriminating but fair game BEFORE reading them their rights and hooking them up?

probablecause
07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
If I walk into domestic violence and have the husband sit on the couch and ask him what happened, I am simply fact gathering (plus, he is not under arrest - yet). I have on obligation to get both sides of a "story" before I arrest. Your name, birthdate, home address, etc. don't cut the grade for statements of incrimination. They are simply personal data and are not constitutionally protected. If I ask you where you are coming from or what you are doing out this late and you tell me to pound sand, then it is what it is. If you tell me that your car broke down and that you are going to get some gas, them hop in and I will give you a ride to the nearest gas station (once I run you for warrants). Most of those contacts with the 'where are you going' and 'what are you doing' are coming while the subject is being detained (not under arrest).

Racey
07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Don't you get a large amount of info BEFORE Mirandizing someone? Like.... where did you come from, what were you doing there, who were you with..... info that may be incriminating but fair game BEFORE reading them their rights and hooking them up?
If you are at the opposite end of a police encounter your best bet is to exercise your rights before they are read to you ;) that leaves no grey area. You don't have to be a dick when you do it, be polite.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING
Stay calm. Don't run. Don't argue, resist or obstruct the police, even if you are innocent or police are violating your rights. Keep your hands where police can see them.
Ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, calmly and silently walk away. If you are under arrest, you have a right to know why.
You have the right to remain silent and cannot be punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer out loud. In some states, you must give your name if asked to identify yourself.
You do not have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings, but police may "pat down" your clothing if they suspect a weapon. You should not physically resist, but you have the right to refuse consent for any further search. If you do consent, it can affect you later in court.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR
Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel.
Upon request, show police your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.
If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse to consent to the search. But if police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent.
Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you are a passenger, you can ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit silently or calmly leave. Even if the officer says no, you have the right to remain silent.

Lavey29
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I should have titled the thread, Newport Cop but there was 3 so I titled it Cops, LOL!! Arresting officer, his partner and the booking officer all failed my nephew, IMO.

I was told by another cop friend that from the info I've shared with him the arresting officer should NEVER have arrested him even if he had shown signs of drinking. Says proper protocol is to make sure subject can take care of themselves, if subject was in any type of danger to himself or others than it's the officers call. Also said with so many friends around should have just issued a citation and if he believed he was slammered release him to the custody of one of the parents. But since he had not been drinking then the whole thing just seems weird.

IMO just another cop(not all cops) with a hard on and wanting to flex his authoritative muscles, and no I do not thing this is the norm or the majority, IMO most cops are good guys doing a very tough job that I wouldn't do.

Phil, it really depends on what the Departments policies and/or city ordinances allow. Normally if a person is intoxicated but there are friends or family to care for them it becomes a non issue. The beach may have special ordinances though that allow for an arrest/cite to be made even if the aforementioned circumstances exist.

Now with all that you have stated, the fact he has a disability and ADA card to show proof of such coupled with friends and family there stating the same, I find it very hard to believe that he was taken into custody. I am hoping that a thorough internal review has been initiated by the Department and still curious what the medical screening forms indicate that had to be completed during the booking process.

Stop by the house if you want after work if you have any direct questions you would like answers to or have your brother ask me. Is this Rob we are talking about?

Lavey29
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
If you are at the opposite end of a police encounter your best bet is to exercise your rights before they are read to you ;) that leaves no grey area. You don't have to be a dick when you do it, be polite.

I would disagree unless of course you know you have done something wrong and/or committed a crime. Then this applies. If you are innocent and not involved in what you are being investigated for then it would behoove you to explain this in thorough detail.

PVHCA
07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Phil, it really depends on what the Departments policies and/or city ordinances allow. Normally if a person is intoxicated but there are friends or family to care for them it becomes a non issue. The beach may have special ordinances though that allow for an arrest/cite to be made even if the aforementioned circumstances exist.

Now with all that you have stated, the fact he has a disability and ADA card to show proof of such coupled with friends and family there stating the same, I find it very hard to believe that he was taken into custody. I am hoping that a thorough internal review has been initiated by the Department and still curious what the medical screening forms indicate that had to be completed during the booking process.

Stop by the house if you want after work if you have any direct questions you would like answers to or have your brother ask me. Is this Rob we are talking about?

No it's Bill's youngest son Lil Billy.

He's keeping quite till he and the attorney have everything in front of them, I'm the loud one about it, LOL!!

My S.I.L. is on fire though and wants the cops badge, she's a bulldog and usually works very hard to get what she wants. My brother told her to calm down and let the process take it's course.

WTMFA
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

He's keeping quite till he and the attorney have everything in front of them, I'm the loud one about it, LOL!!

My S.I.L. is on fire though and wants the cops badge, she's a bulldog and usually works very hard to get what she wants. My brother told her to calm down and let the process take it's course.

LOL.......your family sounds like the Sopranos :D
Hence the avatar I guess :cool::D

PolarBearKing
07-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Man, I swear, I don't know how you cops take all this bashing. Lil Billy is lucky he didn't get a Rodney King beat down too....

PVHCA
07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Man, I swear, I don't know how you cops take all this bashing. Lil Billy is lucky he didn't get a Rodney King beat down too....

Cop wouldn't be alive today to tell his version had this happened!!

thetub
07-11-2012, 08:40 AM

:thumbsdown

PVHCA
07-11-2012, 08:44 AM

PBK is just angry since his own RDP beat down, LOL!!

thetub
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM

If kid did wrong and is bullshitting he should get his ass handed to him, but if cops did what is said they should also. This us against them attitude should not be there. If so go join 1% biker club.

Skee
07-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Man, I swear, I don't know how you cops take all this bashing. Lil Billy is lucky he didn't get a Rodney King beat down too.... are you F'ing serious??? :headscratch: :grumble: :thumbsdown

:D :thumbsup

X2

:champagne: :D

PVHCA
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
If kid did wrong and is bullshitting he should get his ass handed to him, but if cops did what is said they should also. This us against them attitude should not be there. If so go join 1% biker club.

Agree 100%. My nephew did nothing to warrant an arrest or having to spend 8 hours in a cell.

prosthogod
07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
This would be a great case to start my new website copwatcher.com.
I'm so sick of stories like this I'm going to start this website for the public.

V.O.R.F
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm so sick of stories like this I'm going to start this website for the public.

I'm sure the anonymity of the internet will result in nothing but unbiased, complete truths on that website. no way anyone would alter stories or just flat out lie on a website like that.

Wicky
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM

:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

slowride
07-11-2012, 10:26 AM

This is what I've taught my sons and what I practice. The problem is, when you are questioned by a cop, you may not know what the issue is or what the ramifications are. I know they are trained in how to get information, and you can bet your ass it'll come out in court if you volunteer info that is somehow incriminating. The whole "you don't have to worry if you haven't done anything wrong" statement is crap. EVERYONE does SOMETHING wrong at some point...... you just don't WHEN or necessarily WHAT. Be polite and respectful, but kind of like the military..... name, rank and serial number (name, address, phone, etc).

Lavey29
07-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Agree 100%. My nephew did nothing to warrant an arrest or having to spend 8 hours in a cell.

Phil, although everything you said in the posts may have occurred, bottom line is you were not there so you are still only getting info second hand. You did not witness the event. Hopefully all the facts will come out honestly, quickly and support your nephews claims and proper corrective action will be taken.

Lavey29
07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
This is what I've taught my sons and what I practice. The problem is, when you are questioned by a cop, you may not know what the issue is or what the ramifications are. I know they are trained in how to get information, and you can bet your ass it'll come out in court if you volunteer info that is somehow incriminating. The whole "you don't have to worry if you haven't done anything wrong" statement is crap. EVERYONE does SOMETHING wrong at some point...... you just don't WHEN or necessarily WHAT. Be polite and respectful, but kind of like the military..... name, rank and serial number (name, address, phone, etc).

This approach will typically get you an unnecessary ride to the grey bar hotel. If you have done nothing wrong and explain why it is that you have done nothing wrong your chances of being detained for a short period of time and then sent on your way increase greatly. For example, an attempt robbery or burglary happens and say a suspect car and description is given by the victim/witness and you get stopped close by the scene based on this description would you then automatically say nothing even though you had absolutely no involvement in the crime? Witnesses are not 100% certain most of the time and they would view you from a distance and say they think that might be the guy. Now, if you do not have a solid explanation that can be verified and just say nothing, a typical officer will probably view that as consciousness of guilt. Not really sure how the say nothing approach is a good one. Now if you did do the crime well then, I agree shut up and get a good attorney.

probablecause
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
This approach will typically get you an unnecessary ride to the grey bar hotel. If you have done nothing wrong and explain why it is that you have done nothing wrong your chances of being detained for a short period of time and then sent on your way increase greatly. For example, an attempt robbery or burglary happens and say a suspect car and description is given by the victim/witness and you get stopped close by the scene based on this description would you then automatically say nothing even though you had absolutely no involvement in the crime? Witnesses are not 100% certain most of the time and they would view you from a distance and say they think that might be the guy. Now, if you do not have a solid explanation that can be verified and just say nothing, a typical officer will probably view that as consciousness of guilt. Not really sure how the say nothing approach is a good one. Now if you did do the crime well then, I agree shut up and get a good attorney.

Well said.

Bails
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM

you didn't say my "Bitch S.I.L." this time:D

LowRiver2
07-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Just talked to someone who works around that dept. and they were not surprised at the encounter if it went down like this, something about a lot of young officers.

That agency is on the frying pan right now due to some officers from another agency working O/T that weekend, that saw a major incident go down, and did nothing. I guess I'm from another generation, this is the result of turning this "profession" into a "job". Not very surprising actually at this shift of being a contribuiter vs. a profiler after being in it for 20.

wishiknew
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Just talked to someone who works around that dept. and they were not surprised at the encounter if it went down like this, something about a lot of young officers.

That agency is on the frying pan right now due to some officers from another agency working O/T that weekend, that saw a major incident go down, and did nothing. I guess I'm from another generation, this is the result of turning this "profession" into a "job". Not very surprising actually at this shift of being a contribuiter vs. a profiler after being in it for 20.

What happened to that CAR ?????

Lavey29
07-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Hiring standards have lowered over the years as the pool of qualified candidates has dried up. Now you have people applying simply for a pay check and nothing else. No preparation such as classes in college, ride alongs, explorer program as a teenager, military police, etc.... No idea at all what LE is all about. All they are concerned with is a pay check and could care less where it comes from. Totally different generation joining the ranks. Some may turn out to be great cops others may just do nothing their whole careers and collect a check and still others may turn out to be bad cops all together.

LowRiver2
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
What happened to that CAR ?????

About 1/2 oz. of C-4, Pint of water mixed with rock salt in that grey bottle. A charge I carry for disabling IED's in cars (beats the charge by taking out the power at 3,200 feet per second;))

wishiknew
07-11-2012, 08:34 PM
About 1/2 oz. of C-4, Pint of water mixed with rock salt in that grey bottle. A charge I carry for disabling IED's in cars (beats the charge by taking out the power at 3,200 feet per second;))

:thumbsup:thumbsup OK THEN :thumbsup:thumbsup

slowride
07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I may have a minor diversion, but you'll make their case for them without even knowing it. Oh, and you won't know it until.... say it.... you're Mirandized.

RiverDave
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
In all the cop threads that have been posted over the years I do not believe I have read one that was posted by a LEO wherein he stated that "all cops are good cops period".

We have seen threads where multiple cops are doing something just down right wrong.. And the cops on here say "Well you didn't see the whole story!" And I'm thinking.. What whole story? They are clubbing that fucker like a baby seal? LOL..

In the future, if you have contact with LE for any reason hopefully you will start out with a positive view of the contact and end with the same if you are treated fairly and professionally no matter what the circumstance.

Dude your a cop.. You have no idea what it is like to deal with some of these pricks.. Because you say "I'm a cop" and all of a sudden it's all "Hey Bro! What department? Oh yeah my brother works over there.. How's Sam been?" The rest of us just get yelled at, and told we are subhuman by that "small percentage" you are talking about.. And are using phrases like "Yes sir! anything you want sir.. may I kiss your ass sir? Wonderful.. so glad you started using charmin! Because while your poop smells like roses, I wouldn't want you to be in any discomfort while I'm forced to kiss your ass."

1st off.. While that post reads ok.. You're missing a pretty basic thing here. If there's not a lot of crime, you don't FIND WORK.. You need LESS COPS.

You know.. I like drinking beers with ya every now and again Brett.. And truthfully while that whole Mock Auntie thing was kinda fucked up because she was a nice girl.. In the back of my head I always said "Playa Pimp!" But god damn you say some dumb shit on the internet sometimes.. LOL

Someone did just that awhile back.. Reviews on officers? I think somehow (beyond me) they managed to get it taken down?

That is if someone committed a robbery and happened to be driving the same color car as you etc.. "IF" LOL.. For the most part I agree with Racey nowdayz. Know your rights, use them.. Cops usually go find some other sucker to mess with.

No idea at all what LE is all about.

Without bashing, without being negative.. Not looking for an Angle.. I have a question (simple question) for all the cops on here.

What is being a Cop all about? What is your job in one sentence?

RD

07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
So I have a question.

Phil is your family going to do anything or just keep bashing the department. While I don't agree with what they did its pretty retarded to keep bashing them with out doing anything about it

RiverDave
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
So I have a question.

Phil is your family going to do anything or just keep bashing the department. While I don't agree with what they did its pretty retarded to keep bashing them with out doing anything about it

They hired a lawyer.. Shit is in process. this could drag out for months even years..

RD

07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
They hired a lawyer.. Shit is in process. this could drag out for months even years..

RD

Noted.

Didn't see that. All I keep seeing was bashing. Don't get me wrong, they deserve the bashing.

EarpRider
07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Without bashing, without being negative.. Not looking for an Angle.. I have a question (simple question) for all the cops on here.

What kind of an obnoxious question is that? Its a job Dave! Do you really want people to reply with " I just wanna help others and save lives." Its a job, just like plumbers, carpenters, grocery clerks, etc. Its a job. Were all humans, we all deal with people in our own way. Just like sometimes you have a great bartender and sometimes you have a Asshole. Stop over thinking it!

RiverDave
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
What kind of an obnoxious question is that? Its a job Dave! Do you really want people to reply with " I just wanna help others and save lives." Its a job, just like plumbers, carpenters, grocery clerks, etc. Its a job. Were all humans, we all deal with people in our own way. Just like sometimes you have a great bartender and sometimes you have a Asshole. Stop over thinking it!

OK, let me help you out..

Machinist - To cut away material to yield a finished product or part of assembly.
Carpenter - To create a structure out of wood
Mechanical Engineer - To Design products for the betterment of society
Architect - To design Structures that are strong enough for the application and pleasing to the eye.
Plumber - To keep shit rolling down hill.. (Get paid a lot because of the shit part)
RDP Owner - To dance like a monkey and keep you fuckers entertained so you will keep clicking back here instead of somewhere else.

This isn't that complicated.. But in some "Noble" professions in particular LEO I feel the most basic job description has been lost..

so I want to know in one sentance what is a cops job?

If you were to ask me the answer would be
"To PROTECT MY CIVIL RIGHTS from those that would violate them" It is to protect me from other citizens. Not from the coppers.. and nowhere in there do they get to violate the civil rights.. They are the people supposed to be protecting them?

I just think that is completely lost now days on cops.. and it makes me think.. How the fuck can you do a job.. When you don't even know what the actual job is? I'm not talking about what you morphed it into out in the field from doing years of shit work with dirt bags.. I'm talking that's what the actual job is.. Lose site of that, you should find another job.

So when someone says to me a small % of cops..... I say, I don't think 80% of them even know what their job is anymore? Just see something illegal and write a receipt... excuse me ticket for the fine. Then you got the arrogant pricks with little man syndrome that just drive around and treat people like shit all day?

Then you have a small % of cops that actually work to make the community a better place to live in.. Everything from a pleasant interaction, to stopping crime, and treating people like "people" instead of perps etc..

I was surprised and happy to see many cops in this thread offering some advice.. But lets be honest here, if the kid didn't have CP that shit wouldn't have happened for the most part. It's so fucked up what happened it even makes their blood boil.. And it's great that they are helping, but I read the posts and I see little things and I say.. God damn.. Do we even know what the purpose of a cop is anymore? It all falls under what I wrote above? From catching bad guys, to protecting the citizens and property, too __________ everything under the sun.

On that note, once you go from protecting civil liberties and rights, and property to violating them.. Personally I think they should tried for treason.

Because there is no bigger threat to people/society then that. Not murderers, Not rapists, Not child molesters not even Terrorists.. That is the biggest threat to our way of life, and to our citizens. It is the erosion from within from our local government. LEO is quite literally the HANDS of our constitution at work. That and only that is why it is considered a "Noble" profession in my mind.

RD

V.O.R.F
07-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Dave - an attorneys job might be to protect your civil rights.

a police officers job is to enforce the laws of whichever particular city they work in.

too much "us vs. them" bullshit in these LEO threads.

EarpRider
07-11-2012, 11:56 PM
What percent of today's population do you think consider law enforcement a "Noble Occupation, " based on this website alone I would say its a very small amount. I've been working patrol for 23 years and that's by choice, I love working and helping people in the town that I was born and raised in. But at the same time I don't feel the need to have to justify my daily motivation to anyone, since 99% of the time people think they know why I wrote them a ticket or why I stopped them or took them to jail. When in actuality no one knows but me, we dont have quotas, no one tells us who to arrest or not arrest. And once again were all different and we all handle ever crime, traffic stop, arrest very differently.

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Dave - an attorneys job might be to protect your civil rights.

a police officers job is to enforce the laws of whichever particular city they work in.

Incorrect my friend VORF.. That falls under the umbrella protecting of civil rights.

I have a right to own property. I have a right to not have that property stolen. It's the governments job to protect that property. It is the sheriff's job to protect that right. The Sherriff/Cops are the HANDS OF THE GOVERNMENT. They are the instrument of our constitution!

You have a right to be safe on the road. It is perceived that my speeding is dangerous and violates YOUR right to be safe. It is an officers job to protect YOUR right to be safe. Thus tell me to knock it off with the speeding and institute a fine. They will fine so many times before they finally remove me from said road to protect your right.

The lawyer comes to negotiate a deal when a person violates anothers rights or to prove you didn't violate them or perhaps seek damages if your rights were violated by person or establishment.

Not us vs them.. Cops should be the greatest friends and allies a citizen has. They are all that prevent us from anarchy. The question is why the hell am I more scared of a cop then I am of a criminal?? (If you asked most on here I'd wager they would say the same!) Because something went terribly askew over the last 18-20 years. The job changed, the philosophy changed.. Something changed? And it isn't that I became a criminal.

I'm going to keep posting this video until it finally hits home to people..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioQooFIcgE

Please watch it to the end and learn something. Note the LEO's job in the video as well.

That video is why my blood boils when they read threads like this.. It isn't because some copper was mean to little Billy. It's because we are people, and we have rights, and millions have died for those rights.. So when a cop violates them it's like saying "F U" to all those that died.. "F U" to the framers of the constitution.. "F U" to what I got hired to do in the 1st place (and yet won't be fired in most instances).. On top of the very volatile emotional side of things that goes with it when you are on the receiving end of something like this. It is because when the rights are violated you are no longer being treated as a human, you are being treated like an animal (sub human).

RD

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Long story short, I hope whoever this cop is gets his ass in a sling and loses his job, because he clearly didn't know what the hell his job was to begin with..

I wonder if some of the cops on here know what there job is.. and I wager that some do not.

It isn't as simple as here is a badge, go chase bad guy over there. There's a little more to it then that. Unfortunately I'm not sure they are explaining to the new guys that there is more to it then that. I've not been to an academy and I expect they are all different but I kind of imagine it in my head to be "You seen this shit on TV right?? Your not a criminal? Here's your gun."

I had an encounter (sitting on my golf cart in parked on private property) with one of boatcops guys just recently.. I'm sitting there drinking a beer parked on the side of the road by a bridge in the keys talking to someone, and this guy pulls up and says "You know I can give you an open container ticket on that golf cart right now." Here we go... (Because I'm sitting in a golf cart? Not driving anywhere? WTF?)

I was polite about it, but held my ground and just said "Sir, no you can't we are on private property." and 5 minutes later of calm educational "debate" He left. He left because I was god damn confident I was right and didn't need to raise my voice to prove it.. I just said "Go ahead and write the ticket, but you might want to call your supervisor before you do.. LOL" So he leaves and goes and looks it up at the end of the street.

Sure as shit 5 minutes later he pulls up to me (at my house now) and says "Hey you were right on that." Which was cool of him I suppose, but I couldn't help but wonder.. How in the hell do they turn these guys loose without even knowing the laws? (No I didn't say that to him, best not to press your luck with this kinda stuff.. LOL)

RD

PolarBearKing
07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Sure, tuff guy....:rolleyes:

are you F'ing serious??? :headscratch: :grumble: :thumbsdown
Yes I'm serious. The way you guys (RDP'ers) bash on the cops on here is brutal...and these guys are being cool offering advice and a different perspective. One can only imagine what it's like out in the real world where they are dealing with convicts, drug addicts, gang bangers and the real shit heads of society, seeing stuff the average person only watches on the evening news, it's no wonder some cops get outta hand and go sideways.

BTW, for those of you with third grade reading comprehension skills, I NEVER said that I thought that Lil Billy deserved to get a beat down nor did I ever condone this incident. And just for the record I think he handled the situation very maturely - unlike most of you retards. :party2:

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 01:55 AM

Yes I'm serious. The way you guys (RDP'ers) bash on the cops on here is brutal...and these guys are being cool offering advice and a different perspective. One can only imagine what it's like out in the real world where they are dealing with convicts, drug addicts, gang bangers and the real shit heads of society, seeing stuff the average person only watches on the evening news, it's no wonder some cops get outta hand and go sideways.

BTW, for those of you with third grade reading comprehension skills, I NEVER said that I thought that Lil Billy deserved to get a beat down nor did I ever condone this incident. And just for the record I think he handled the situation very maturely - unlike most of you retards. :party2:

Why is it cops aren't all bad.. It's just a select few.. (making it a case by case) but when a couple guys say shit on cops it's "RDP'ers" ? Why can't it be case by case?

FYI, I don't think I have said anything negative about a cop in this thread. Shared my views with what I believe their job to be, and how it is changing.. Shared some views on some other things too.. but not one thing "negative" about LEO in general I don't think? Other then I'm more scared of them then I am when I see a little gangster walking around.

RD

Ultracrazy
07-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Why is it cops aren't all bad.. It's just a select few.. (making it a case by case) but when a couple guys say shit on cops it's "RDP'ers" ? Why can't it be case by case?

FYI, I don't think I have said anything negative about a cop in this thread. Shared my views with what I believe their job to be, and how it is changing.. Shared some views on some other things too.. but not one thing "negative" about LEO in general I don't think? Other then I'm more scared of them then I am when I see a little gangster walking around. RD

Splitting hairs aren't you Dave.

Tank
07-12-2012, 05:16 AM
I'm going to keep posting this video until it finally hits home to people..

The American Form of Government - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioQooFIcgE)

Please watch it to the end and learn something. Note the LEO's job in the video as well.

That video is why my blood boils when they read threads like this.. It isn't because some copper was mean to little Billy. It's because we are people, and we have rights, and millions have died for those rights.. So when a cop violates them it's like saying "F U" to all those that died.. "F U" to the framers of the constitution.. "F U" to what I got hired to do in the 1st place (and yet won't be fired in most instances).. On top of the very volatile emotional side of things that goes with it when you are on the receiving end of something like this. It is because when the rights are violated you are no longer being treated as a human, you are being treated like an animal (sub human).

RD

Honestly Dave...That's a cool video. Very educational. I don't usually engage in these threads (cop bash threads) because people are going to A) hate cops because of past bias B) love cops because of past bias or C) judge individual events as just that - individual events and move on. 99% of the time these threads go no where because "everyone is right" (in their own minds) and aren't willing to empathise with any other opinion but their own.

With that said, what do we do to change the perceived fate of this country according to this video? And where does this video relate to law enforcment? (I think I missed it). It's the republic example of the (western posse) that is how law enforcment works 99% of the time. Just like with anything else there are those bad apples that are the exceptions to the rule. But for the most part, that is the way it works. Just my take from personal experience.

PVHCA
07-12-2012, 08:08 AM
So I have a question.

Like RD said they have been in contact with an attorney, I have not bashed any other cops other than the 3 regarding this thread. I have the utmost respect for cops and have said many times I wouldn't do the job they do.

RD

My brother is on the D.L., I'm the one that is being loud, LOL!!

PVHCA
07-12-2012, 08:11 AM

You don't know me or my family very well, a few of us wouldn't hesitate had the cop done that.

For you to imply what you said shows your one of the 3rd graders on RDP's.

River911
07-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Wow. Hopefully this all gets sorted out.

But its obvious most of you did not grow up in the hood :rolleyes:

Guess thats a good thing. Carry on :D

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 08:21 AM
You don't know me or my family very well, a few of us wouldn't hesitate had the cop done that.

For you to imply what you said shows your one of the 3rd graders on RDP's.

some people have a 3rd grade education and some people are jus plain fucking stupid...:thumbsdown

i have always said that you take away the badge and the gun and the officer is jus another person in society.....:blah:

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 08:29 AM
We have seen threads where multiple cops are doing something just down right wrong.. And the cops on here say "Well you didn't see the whole story!" And I'm thinking.. What whole story? They are clubbing that fucker like a baby seal? LOL..

Dude your a cop.. You have no idea what it is like to deal with some of these pricks.. Because you say "I'm a cop" and all of a sudden it's all "Hey Bro! What department? Oh yeah my brother works over there.. How's Sam been?" The rest of us just get yelled at, and told we are subhuman by that "small percentage" you are talking about.. And are using phrases like "Yes sir! anything you want sir.. may I kiss your ass sir? Wonderful.. so glad you started using charmin! Because while your poop smells like roses, I wouldn't want you to be in any discomfort while I'm forced to kiss your ass."

1st off.. While that post reads ok.. You're missing a pretty basic thing here. If there's not a lot of crime, you don't FIND WORK.. You need LESS COPS.

You know.. I like drinking beers with ya every now and again Brett.. And truthfully while that whole Mock Auntie thing was kinda fucked up because she was a nice girl.. In the back of my head I always said "Playa Pimp!" But god damn you say some dumb shit on the internet sometimes.. LOL

Someone did just that awhile back.. Reviews on officers? I think somehow (beyond me) they managed to get it taken down?

That is if someone committed a robbery and happened to be driving the same color car as you etc.. "IF" LOL.. For the most part I agree with Racey nowdayz. Know your rights, use them.. Cops usually go find some other sucker to mess with.

RD

Well, there are a lot of quotes by you and sorry I do not know how to select the specific ones out and limit the size of the post.

It is hard to give a one sentence answer to your last question but for me, when I was young in college and thinking of my career path. My father worked in the aerospace field and I just could not see myself sitting at a desk 8 hour a day for the next 30 years. He had his first heart attack at 43. I was looking for a career that would give me an everyday challenge mentally and/or physically and a lot of personal satisfaction when I performed well. I wanted something that would provide various opportunities and challenges along with decent benefits. Ex wifes friend had a husband in LE so I started doing some ride alongs with him and became interested. Then I took classes in college dealing with LE and 26 years later I am where I am.

The previous part of your post. People get stopped all the time because the car or physical description matches closely to a crime that may have just occurred. This is just simplistic example but if you were to remain silent in this type of situation and not explain why you have the wrong person stopped then you may end up going somewhere you do not need to go.

As far as cops having it easy when stopped by other cops, those days are long gone. I wish I had a pic from a few months back of my friend (also a cop) sitting on the curb in Havasu while the PD went through his car. I don't suppose that would change any mindsets on here but would be nice to show. If I drive drunk I will get hooked just as fast as the rest of you. There will be one significant difference though. My employer will also give me 15-30 days off without pay for getting arrested for DUI. Yes, your off duty conduct comes into play and you will be disciplined. Do private employers do this? No they do not and cops should set a high standard for themselves both on and off duty.

I think you see a pretty strong consensus and support for Phils nephew here by all cops on the site that have posted and that is with all the facts not being known yet.

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 08:37 AM
lavey29.. i guess this whole time i didnt catch that you were in the l.e. side of work. thank you for clarifying that for me...it explains your post better for me to understand...:D

also yes the private sector holds your dui against you, a cdl holder will and can be tremianted for having a dui on his or her own time...jus fyi for ya...:thumbsup

Mr. C
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
If I drive drunk I will get hooked just as fast as the rest of you. There will be one significant difference though. My employer will also give me 15-30 days off without pay for getting arrested for DUI. Yes, your off duty conduct comes into play and you will be disciplined. Do private employers do this? No they do not and cops should set a high standard for themselves both on and off duty.

Off topic still, with this scenario and you returning back to work after 15-30 days. Would you be given a desk job or at least a job that doesn't involve driving through the probation period of your DUI?
Or would they put an IID in your patrol car.....:rolleyes::skull

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Off topic still, with this scenario and you returning back to work after 15-30 days. Would you be given a desk job or at least a job that doesn't involve driving through the probation period of your DUI?
Or would they put an IID in your patrol car.....:rolleyes::skull

That is a good question. Obviously if your license is suspended for a period of time then you can't work the field so you would be put on the desk.

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 09:05 AM
lavey29.. i guess this whole time i didnt catch that you were in the l.e. side of work. thank you for clarifying that for me...it explains your post better for me to understand...:D

also yes the private sector holds your dui against you, a cdl holder will and can be tremianted for having a dui on his or her own time...jus fyi for ya...:thumbsup

You may be right, there might be certain private sector jobs such as a truck driver and if your license gets suspended for a DUI and you can't drive the truck for the company I could see where they might take action. I think for the most part though, private sector jobs do not penalize someone for getting a DUI during their off work time whereas LE certainly does. Conduct unbecoming applies on and off duty and rightly so.

At least where my agency is concerned it goes well beyond that as well. Did you know that if I am off duty say at a house gathering and I say something that another member of my Department or just a normal person finds offensive, I can be disciplined at work if they file a complaint? No first amendment rights either while off duty. The discipline could include anything up to and including termination just for talking about something that another person perceives as offensive, sexual, demeaning or derogatory and the comments do not need to be directed at the other person, just general comments apply also. Also, they could be a 3rd party just eavesdropping on my private conversation with someone. Held to a higher standard as it should be but controlling my conversation off duty seems a little beyond what is reasonable in my opinion.

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
You may be right, there might be certain private sector jobs such as a truck driver and if your license gets suspended for a DUI and you can't drive the truck for the company I could see where they might take action. I think for the most part though, private sector jobs do not penalize someone for getting a DUI during their off work time whereas LE certainly does. Conduct unbecoming applies on and off duty and rightly so.

At least where my agency is concerned it goes well beyond that as well. Did you know that if I am off duty say at a house gathering and I say something that another member of my Department or just a normal person finds offensive, I can be disciplined at work if they file a complaint? No first amendment rights either while off duty. The discipline could include anything up to and including termination just for talking about something that another person perceives as offensive, sexual, demeaning or derogatory and the comments do not need to be directed at the other person, just general comments apply also. Also, they could be a 3rd party just eavesdropping on my private conversation with someone. Held to a higher standard as it should be but controlling my conversation off duty seems a little beyond what is reasonable in my opinion.

ok so if i understand this right and some of your other post, that you are held to higher standard and you said that the police officers should set the example... if yes is the answer to this statement???

then why if the l.e. is suppose to uphold the law of drinking and driving and a officer gets a dui, why is it that he keeps his job, when its the law???

edit: its not that i may be right its that i know i am right. i have a cdl and have been in a contract with different employers that it is stated in the contract and is signed by the employees and employer also it is black and white in a the inuion contract..they dont put you in the warehouse or in the office to clerical work or even jus sweep the floors. you are terminated.....

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
ok so if i understand this right and some of your other post, that you are held to higher standard and you said that the police officers should set the example... if yes is the answer to this statement???

then why if the l.e. is suppose to uphold the law of drinking and driving and a officer gets a dui, why is it that he keeps his job, when its the law???

edit: its not that i may be right its that i know i am right. i have a cdl and have been in a contract with deifferent emplyers that it is stated in the contract and is signed by the employees and employer also it is black and white in a the inuion contract..

Although various agencies policies may differ, I think most penalize with days off without pay for first offense. Now second offense more severe discipline and 3rd offense I would say you are pretty much gone from the job.

I am not disputing your claim that certain private sector jobs also discipline up to termination especially if as you say you have to sign a contract or it is a union MOU. I do think that most private sector jobs do not discipline for DUI but again may depend on the individual employer and the type of work (such as truck driving) that you are performing.

I could see a lot of wrongful termination lawsuits popping up if every employer in the private sector fired an employee for a one time DUI absent certain things as you described above.

BasilHayden
07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

bought a coozie at Mojave last week with this quote on it, In my opinion we unfortunately have moved to the point where it has happened, and this is what scares the shit out of many who are broad brushed as anti-leo.

In reality most of the anti leo's are just anti what leo appears to have become more and more. They trample our rights under the guise of "public safety". Now we all want public safety right? So whats wrong here?

Whats wrong is that our government wasn't created to protect us from each other, rather it was built upon the concept of protecting us from the Man, at the time that Man was the King of England and his Representative unfairly taxing us to death, Hmm I see a corollary here, anybody else?

PVHCA
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

bought a coozie at Mojave last week with this quote on it, In my opinion we unfortunately have moved to the point where it has happened, and this is what scares the shit out of many who are broad brushed as anti-leo.

In reality most of the anti leo's are just anti what leo appears to have become more and more. They trample our rights under the guise of "public safety". Now we all want public safety right? So whats wrong here?

Whats wrong is that our government wasn't created to protect us from each other, rather it was built upon the concept of protecting us from the Man, at the time that Man was the King of England and his Representative unfairly taxing us to death, Hmm I see a corollary here, anybody else?

Have you been hitting the B.H. already? LOL!!

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Although various agencies policies may differ, I think most penalize with days off without pay for first offense. Now second offense more severe discipline and 3rd offense I would say you are pretty much gone from the job.

I am not disputing your claim that certain private sector jobs also discipline up to termination especially if as you say you have to sign a contract or it is a union MOU. I do think that most private sector jobs do not discipline for DUI but again may depend on the individual employer and the type of work (such as truck driving) that you are performing.

see thats where i have the problem and ?'s about, why are officers giving 2nd and 3rd chances when its the law and they are suppose to uphold the law.. jus doesnt make sense to me at all.

i agree that most private sector jobs dont have to enforce dui in its employees offtime if it doesnt effect their job,ie:plant worker, office worker etc..unless it effects thier abitlity to get to work, via: driving thier car there etc...

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 09:37 AM
see thats where i have the problem and ?'s about, why are officers giving 2nd and 3rd chances when its the law and they are suppose to uphold the law.. jus doesnt make sense to me at all.

i agree that most private sector jobs dont have to enforce dui in its employees offtime if it doesnt effect their job,ie:plant worker, office worker etc..unless it effects thier abitlity to get to work, via: driving thier car there etc...

I think probably because it is viewed as a very common occurrence now across the board of society and because it is a misdemeanor crime they view it more as a discipline (days off) issue rather then a mandatory termination. I am only speaking in general for my agency based on my opinion of course. I can tell you that if you get into a DUI T/C well your chances of losing your job for a first time offense increase and if there are injuries, you can guarantee to be out of a job.

It comes down to the individual officer setting his standards high and following them and setting the example by not violating the law. Does this always happen, nope, never will as long as people are human and make mistakes or intentional actions. I can tell you 15 or 30 days without pay or termination certainly is a motivation for me to maintain my standards but it still comes down to individual character and personal levels of committment.

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I think probably because it is viewed as a very common occurrence now across the board of society and because it is a misdemeanor crime they view it more as a discipline (days off) issue rather then a mandatory termination. I am only speaking in general for my agency based on my opinion of course. I can tell you that if you get into a DUI T/C well your chances of losing your job for a first time offense increase and if there are injuries, you can guarantee to be out of a job.

It comes down to the individual officer setting his standards high and following them and setting the example by not violating the law. Does this always happen, nope, never will as long as people are human and make mistakes or intentional actions. I can tell you 15 or 30 days without pay or termination certainly is a motivation for me to maintain my standards but it still comes down to individual character and personal levels of committment.

ok guess it is what it is and will move on, your last sentence jus put you on my list with sydneyryandads (sp) on here for l.e. that i like, based jus on posting not in person, the rest of them suck imo..:D

dont take that i like you cause some of your post piss me off..:D:D:thumbsup

Havasu Hangin'
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM

I agree. So you LEO guys have a choice:

A). Make the divide greater by being defensive
or...
B). Try to bridge the gap

If your answer is "B"...let me offer a suggestion- copy this:

"Wow...that sux to hear. If the facts are true, it makes me a little upset when I hear stories like this about my profession.

Although I am only human, and I once made a mistake 3 years ago, I take alot of pride in what I do, and that is not how I conduct myself, and I know there are alot of other guys who probably feel the same way.

Since I don't want to be lumped into the 'douchebag cop' group, I'm going to try to refrain from posting anymore in this thread, but feel free to PM me if I can help with a (biased ;)) opinion in any way.

And for any RDP'er who I meet up on the water, even though I don't drink anymore, let me buy you a beer, and you can vent al you want. Hopefully, you'll realize that not all cops are douchebags.

:cool:

PS- but please don't ask me to sign of your tinted window tickets"

Go ahead and paste that in your post if you want- I won't charge you much. It's OK to be humble, yet still take pride in what you do.

Carlson-jet
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree. So you LEO guys have a choice:

A). Make the divide greater by being defensive
or...
B). Try to bridge the gap

If your answer is "B"...let me offer a suggestion- copy this:

"Wow...that sux to hear. If the facts are true, it makes me a little upset when I hear stories like this about my profession.

Although I am only human, and I once made a mistake 3 years ago, I take alot of pride in what I do, and that is not how I conduct myself, and I know there are alot of other guys who probably feel the same way.

Since I don't want to be lumped into the 'douchebag cop' group, I'm going to try to refrain from posting anymore in this thread, but feel free to PM me if I can help with a (biased ;)) opinion in any way.

And for any RDP'er who I meet up on the water, even though I don't drink anymore, let me buy you a beer, and you can vent al you want. Hopefully, you'll realize that not all cops are douchebags.

:cool:

PS- but please don't ask me to sign of your tinted window tickets"

Go ahead and paste that in your post if you want- I won't charge you much. It's OK to be humble, yet still take pride in what you do.

HAHAHAhahahaha! Good one. :D Not gonna happen.

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Splitting hairs aren't you Dave.

No?

I think you see a pretty strong consensus and support for Phils nephew here by all cops on the site that have posted and that is with all the facts not being known yet.

I agree, but I also think it's because he has CP.. If he didn't I don't think you would see much if any support.

RD

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Government (ours) is created to protect us from each other, to protect us from foreign governments, and most importantly to protect us from ITSELF.. Somewhere down the line we became sheeple, and forgot that last part.

RD

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
With that said, what do we do to change the perceived fate of this country according to this video?

That is an excellent question.. One that I am not sure I have a "perfect" answer for, but a couple of steps in the right direction would be

1. Educate people on history or we will be doomed to repeat it. (posting of said video and sharing with as many as possible)
2. Know your rights as a citizen
3. Educate other people of their rights
4. Intervene when a persons rights are being violated (at whatever level you feel comfortable with)
(this list is gonna get pretty long)

Short answer.. Educate your kids as to what it means to be FREE and have FREEDOM.. Because the generation before us, and the current generation has clearly forgotten.

And where does this video relate to law enforcment? (I think I missed it). It's the republic example of the (western posse) that is how law enforcment works 99% of the time.

That is how I used it for this example. The LEO's job is to protect our rights as citizens.

Just like with anything else there are those bad apples that are the exceptions to the rule. But for the most part, that is the way it works. Just my take from personal experience.

Well I think that's the subject of constant debate here on RDP.. Citizens say "In our experience this isn't how it works" and LEO's say "In our experience this is how it works" then RDP'er gives example of shitty experience or trampled rights.. LEO says "More to the story" etc... then ole RD says "simmer down fuckers" then it stops.. Then about 2 months later it starts all over again.. LOL

RD

RiverDave
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
At the end of the day I hope the kid gets justice.. I don't care if he gets $$ or not, but I hope he gets justice.

I think officer friendly needs to be yanked from his front yard, treated sub human and thrown in the clink for 8 hours. (and lose his job for not knowing it in the 1st place) I think that would be justice if your were asking me.

RD

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 01:48 PM
No?

I agree, but I also think it's because he has CP.. If he didn't I don't think you would see much if any support.

RD

No I just like to support Phil as a friend. When I buy 3 hubcaps from him, he gives me the 4th one free. Unfortunately it is not the same as the other 3 but it is the thought that counts and I always know I can count on him if I need something. He is either at work or at In n Out next door so he is easy to find. Did you guys know he used to be the mayor of Needles? At least that is what I was told. :thumbsup

p.s. persons with disabilities struggle enough in their own daily lives so when I see or hear about something happening to a person with a disability it does strike a different chord with me at least for sure.

Lavey29
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
ok guess it is what it is and will move on, your last sentence jus put you on my list with sydneyryandads (sp) on here for l.e. that i like, based jus on posting not in person, the rest of them suck imo..:D

dont take that i like you cause some of your post piss me off..:D:D:thumbsup

Well thanks (I think). Personally I think I am more likeable in person then on any site but that is just my own opinion of course. I do not mind debating any issues concerning LE but try to generally avoid the threads as they do deteriorate rather quickly and lose site of the topic. After 26 years I do bring a little knowledge and experience to the table and will always try and give an honest answer and/or opinion either way it goes. :thumbsup

milkmoney
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Well thanks (I think). Personally I think I am more likeable in person then on any site but that is just my own opinion of course. I do not mind debating any issues concerning LE but try to generally avoid the threads as they do deteriorate rather quickly and lose site of the topic. After 26 years I do bring a little knowledge and experience to the table and will always try and give an honest answer and/or opinion either way it goes. :thumbsup

no worries. i do like to deabte and get other folks opinion, whether they are in the fireld or know something about the topic of discussion...

26 years wow. you are an old copper...i think most on here are probably pretty decent in person, for me i am not this nice in person...jus a warning..:D:p

Tank
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Well I think that's the subject of constant debate here on RDP.. Citizens say "In our experience this isn't how it works" and LEO's say "In our experience this is how it works" then RDP'er gives example of shitty experience or trampled rights.. LEO says "More to the story" etc... then ole RD says "simmer down fuckers" then it stops.. Then about 2 months later it starts all over again.. LOL

RD

That's some funny shit right there!:D:D:thumbsup

wishiknew
07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Like RD said they have been in contact with an attorney, I have not bashed any other cops other than the 3 regarding this thread.

What about the ones that closed the street and wouldnt let the UPS Guy come to your shop ????:D:D

Tank
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Well I think that's the subject of constant debate here on RDP.. Citizens say "In our experience this isn't how it works" and LEO's say "In our experience this is how it works" then RDP'er gives example of shitty experience or trampled rights.. LEO says "More to the story"...

RD

I will say this - there actually is ALWAYS more to the story when you read or hear something second, third, fourth hand. There's even more to the story when it's simply someone coming on here complaining that cops suck becuase they got a ticket because in fact you're only hearing one side of the story (from the guy that got the ticket or claims to have been mis treated).

I would think that a level headed person would concede that the cops on RDP for the most part are a pretty level headed cool group that are here because they enjoy the same things other RDPers enjoy. I would think that most should concede to the fact that those cops on here that say "there's more to the story" know that in fact 99.9% of the time there IS more to the story based on their own experiences of seeing this first hand time and time again.

You read of a cop trampling on civil rights in the news or even from someone on here giving a first hand account you must understand that it's only a glimpse from one angle into the scenario without considering the totality of the circumstances.

Now that's not to say that it doesn't happen, I assure you it does. But when you have a small group of vocal people that feel theyve been mistreated by the police because they've been arrested for or ticketed for "bullshit" stuff, it's not hard to see that many of those that are the most vocal about "cops suck" are those that no matter how you explain from first hand experience or attempt to enlighten them regarding the other side of the coin, they will never get it because they are right in their own mind and that is unwavering. They will never even attempt to understand anyone else's views, personal experience or explanations due to their own self righteousness.

Besides cops that come on here that have seen enough first hand to understand that there's always more to a story and things are never as black and white as the Internet makes them seem, you'll be hard pressed to find a cop that thinks violating someone's civil right is justified or even slightly ok.

All I'm saying Dave is that there are literally millions of calls for service on any given day across the nation for cops to (as you say) protect people's civil rights and do an outstanding job of it. But every now and again one will actually fuck up (not the typical rant you see on here about getting a ticket or thinking because the cop wasn't kissing your ass that he did something wrong) but a legitimate violation of someone's civil rights and the next thing you know it's fuck cops (plural) or for example calling out a whole police dept for one officers actions. Kinda silly actually.

But like I said, all I've written wont matter because those that dislike police use these (statistically and factually rare) instances to further boost their own views. It is what is is.

Now, regarding your video...couldn't agree more!! The whole fucking system is in a lethargic self enduced grid lock that is slowly decaying our country. From government to insurance to health care to the legal system EVERYTHING needs to hit the reboot button! and I've dealt with it first hand on all of the above mentioned fronts. It's all fucked. Totally frustrating.

I'll step off my soap box now. :D

PVHCA
07-13-2012, 08:31 AM
What about the ones that closed the street and wouldnt let the UPS Guy come to your shop ????:D:D

A few days later he came by to apologize for his actions. He said he was pissed at his W.C. for making him work O.T. due to the accident, I looked at him and said, "are you fuckin kidding me?" He said sorry again and left. Young, new cop with a lot of growing up too do.

PVHCA
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
A lil update.

So yesterday I sat with my nephew to hear his entire version, not bits and pieces. Pretty much as I stated here is how it went down, with one exception, once my nephew realized the cop was being unreasonable every time he was asked a question it was answered with a quick yes or no. my nephew would offer no info or answer any other way.

They received the police report and it was full of lies and B.S. as was expected. Their attorney is playing the waiting game with the D.A. The D.A. is waiting to see if they file a law suit before they file charges is what they are assuming. So far 13-15 witnesses have written, emailed or faxed my nephews attorney with their versions of what happened.

I guess the arresting officer has some what of a checkered past.

I asked my nephew plenty of times if he was drinking and each time the answer was no, that's why he kept insisting to all officers involved to test him, and they refused.

Kid is pretty pissed, at first he was against the lawsuit but now as time goes and after reading the bullshit on the police report he sure would love to have his day in court with the D-Bag cops.

Time will tell what happens, neither side seems real anxious to make the first move.

Flyinbowtie
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the update Phil.
Tell your nephew thanks for sticking with this. It wont be pretty at first, but he is doing the right thing by pushing forward.

spectras only
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Not trying to pour coal on the fire for Phil, but some cops need to get rid of period, not just send him to an office desk.
We have some serious problems with some cops and RCMP officers here in BC lately.

CCTV: Vancouver Police Shoving Down 90 Pound Woman with Multiple Sclerosis in Downtown Eastside - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8K7j5olaeg)