WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Low down on Genisis boats?

2Driver

Reaction score
Not much came up on the internet that I could find. Anyone familiar with this manufacture?

boatnam2

Reaction score
I thought they use to be part of essex boats..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not much came up on the internet that I could find. Anyone familiar with this manufacture?

Were or are they associated with Lightning or Ultra? As in do they use the same hulls? I have no clue, just what comes to mind.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I think essex made a lower budget boat that was called a genisis...At least that is what comes to mind, maybe it was just a model.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Same Genesis that laid-up DCM boats for Danny?
If so, then IIRC he had good things to say about them.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Essex lower end was Laser. Genesis is run by Joel Casillas unless he sold off the molds, but I do not think he did. I could be wrong of course.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Essex's lower priced line is Laser. McRib can tell you about that. He's got a 23.

Genesis was one of the Casillas brothers. I think Jaime or Joel. That might be where the Ultra association comes from as Martin Casillas used to do Ultra's layups. Martin had started Orion at one point. The shop is or was out in Perris. Oh. When John West booted West Coast Ultra and gave them the Lightning line then I think Genesis laid up the hulls for them. Another Ultra association but as far as I know only JW has the Stealth or Shadow molds. Some of the older molds acquired from other builders before they designed their own were sold to other builders as well or splashed by different builders.

boatnam2

Reaction score
If its a late 90's boat, essex did make a model that was called a genisis, but yea your right laser is the other make...I know someone was making boats under that name recently, maybe the guy shipping guy mentioned.

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Genisis??? that isn't that tird of a cat that riverdave demo'ed all weekend in parker a few years ago?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Aren't the Waterod boats built from Genesis molds ?

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Genisis??? that isn't that tird of a cat that riverdave demo'ed all weekend in parker a few years ago?

Genesis actually had the Rayson Craft cat mold. The cat that I know from first hand experience that was squirly to say the least because I drove it personally was the first 27 Orion built by Martin Casillas. It was a copy in colors and graphics of the Jesse James boat minus the skulls etc. they also built a 24 cat with canopies.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Orion.. Horrible boat, but I heard they changed it after that weekend.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Also I have not heard anything bad and the boats look good and seem solid. I know Joel stands behind his work. UHH SUCKA here on the boards has a really nice one.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Genisis is no longer in fontana. Theyve moved to perris last i heard maybe moval. They had done a lil work in corona but it was short lived. Casillas was laying up boats for a couple of people under genisis. Tthe only thing essex builds is the laser line. Not low end. Same build process same rigging the only diff is 5 yr hull vs 10 yr and all the bling is "nicer" on the essex. Essex = lexus laser = toyota

boatpi

Reaction score
I would FIRST see their libality of insurance certificate. If a boat sinks, comes apart, etc., you and family have a serious issue. Read into this what your want.....It is about a MFG's ability to cover your AZZ if something occurs, all good boat companies have this, nad verify it!

Everyone in Riverside has had a piece of this, NOTE names:
MIC:
LQI
Inactive
Company:
VANQUISH CUSTOM BOATS
Company Official:
JERRY VANBEEK

Parent Company:

Parent MIC:

Address:

2750 MULBERRY STREET

City:

RIVERSIDE

State:

CA

Zip:

Phone:

Fax:

In Business:

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Out of Business:

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Date Modified:

Monday, March 31, 2008

Type:

Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Inboards, Cabin Cruisers

Additional Address:

Comments:

ACQUIRED ASSETS OF GENESIS (GXC).WAS FUSION BOATS, MARIO CASILLAS, 14123 WYANT LN,WHITTIER,CA 90602, 9095749620, FACTORY WAS 15345 MANILLA ST, FONTANA,CA 92337, INBUS 041209, FUSION NEVER BUILT ANY BOATS. VANQUISH BUILODING LIGHTNING MODELS (SEE LXG) AND GENESIS MODELS (SEE GXC).050309 HDBK/CD. 062105 VANQUISH SELLS HULLS TO FREEDOM POWERBOATS (OQE). 3/25/2008 OOB PER PPG

MIC:

GXC

Inactive

Company:

CASIAS CO INC

Company Official:

MARIO R. CASILLAS

Parent Company:

Parent MIC:

Address:

15345 MANILLA STREET

City:

FONTANA

State:

CA

Zip:

Phone:

Fax:

In Business:

Thursday, August 09, 2001

Out of Business:

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Date Modified:

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Type:

Inboards, Cabin Cruisers

Additional Address:

BUILDING FACILITY AT: 9349 BOND AVE EL CAJON CA 92021

Comments:

ACQUIRED MOLD FROM CALABRIA (BCP).CapeSmall-RNI-EMAIL-02/03/25-MFG HANDBOOK MAILED-02/0326. 031202 NEW NAME & ADDRESS; WAS GENESIS CUSTOM SKIERS, FRANCISCO CASILLAS, 25020 PEBBLE CREEK WAY, MORENO VALLEY, CA 92551, (619)938-9571. 041209 ASSETS ACQUIRED BY FUSION BOATS (LQI).

If you trace this history through USCG they CANNOT legally build a boat.

alohajeff

Reaction score
For some time Genesis was off of Cactus at the 215 in Moreno Valley. That was around the time Joel was running the show. DCM had a boat or two in there. That was part of the reason why I took my Spectra there for new fuel tanks and floors. I stopped by the old shop last year and they were long gone. I had quite a few QC issues with the work that Genesis performed for me.

Aloha

2Driver

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I was looking at an '08 21 jet. The lines are like the Ultra stealth IMO which I like a lot.

I'd feel more comfortable buying a one-off name if I knew who did the hull and rigged it in 08.

Let It Ride

Reaction score
I bought my boat new in 2003 from Genesis boats when it was just the Casillas bro's. It was their L.a. Boat show introduction boat. It was a closed bow when I bought it and i image.jpg had them convert it into a cuddy because I loved it that much. For being a 2003 it looks brand new. With that being said genesis later partnered with this Jerry van Beek dude who I have nothing good to say. My cousin bought a boat fom them during the Jerry van Beek time, which turned out to be a disaster.

All I have to say is that the Casillas brothers know their stuff about boats, now trying to run a boat business may be a different story when trying to bring a new boat company up against several tenured boat builders. Anyways any questions feel free to ask.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Also I have not heard anything bad and the boats look good and seem solid. I know Joel stands behind his work. UHH SUCKA here on the boards has a really nice one.

Yep, pm UHH SUCKA, his name is Tony, nice guy, and a nice lookin boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk free, because Tapatalk 2 SUX

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I had visited there shop in Perris / Moval off of cactus about 7 years ago to look at an American Offshor. They were building the boats for them at the time. Build quality was great. Should have bought it. Would have been better than the Chapperal I have now lol!

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
For some time Genesis was off of Cactus at the 215 in Moreno Valley. That was around the time Joel was running the show. DCM had a boat or two in there. That was part of the reason why I took my Spectra there for new fuel tanks and floors. I stopped by the old shop last year and they were long gone. I had quite a few QC issues with the work that Genesis performed for me.

Aloha

Danny had those guys by the nutsack, they laid up good hulls for him.

bildit4u

Reaction score
As far as boat builders/laminators the guys @ Genesis build a solid hull. I have had 3 boats built by them using my mold and they are done well. Never had them rig one for me so I cant say anything about that, but they do know how to do glass work. They gelcoat and laminate hulls for other boat builders.

copterzach

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that they did layup and gel on my DCM.

Aggie class of '97. WHOOP

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think essex made a lower budget boat that was called a genisis...At least that is what comes to mind, maybe it was just a model.

I think they were part of Essex, a lower budget model, as mentioned above.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
Yep, pm UHH SUCKA, his name is Tony, nice guy, and a nice lookin boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk free, because Tapatalk 2 SUX

Yes talk to Tony about his boat, I know he loves it and he takes really good care of it. I have never heard him say anything bad about his boat.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My understanding: After doing layups for lots of other builders they gave it a go themselves. Genesis and Orion were the result.

The Casillas family is pretty prolific in the glassing business. But i think the Genesis and Orion brands fell victim to the recession.

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
Seems it looks like I'm the only Genesis owner here I guess I'll chime in! Genesis Boats had no part of the Essex brand or Make. Essex had a model called the Genesis back in the early 2000's so that's probably where the confusion came from.

I have been very happy with my Boat and can honestly say I have not had one issue with Boat since I have had it. Did have a motor issue that had nothing to do with Genesis after the warranty was up and they still stepped in to help out with most of the Labor on it. I also met another owner who had an issue with his Boat after they shut the doors and they still took care of it under warranty. In my eyes that goes a long ways in customer satisfaction and standing behind your Product.

As for the Gel Coat, I am sure most guys in the Industry will tell you nothing but good things about Joel's work. I beleive to this day he is still spraying for a couple different guys who are coming back around.

Hopefully little info helps and I am sure other Genesis owners would agree.....

boatpi

Reaction score

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
From one of dozens of posts found online:

Consumers should be wary of who services their boat and where. Verify who is working on your boat, that they are certified by Mercury Marine, and check BBB as well as product liability if they are a builder.

Chris Davidson
Publisher
Performance Boats Magazine

Philosophy for a Happy Life: "Someone to Love, Something to look forward to and Something to Do." Elvis Presley

Let It Ride

Reaction score
From one of dozens of posts found online:

Consumers should be wary of who services their boat and where. Verify who is working on your boat, that they are certified by Mercury Marine, and check BBB as well as product liability if they are a builder.

Chris Davidson
Publisher
Performance Boats Magazine

Philosophy for a Happy Life: "Someone to Love, Something to look forward to and Something to Do." Elvis Presley

Hey Boat PI can you be specific, or maybe elaborate?

boatpi

Reaction score
Think of it this way, anyone can get a mold, a business license, a coast guard number to build and start laying up and selling boats. Would you put your family in a boat built by someone that has NO insurance? Some builders has a very checkered past, just look up Jerry Van Beek on Google. He was the founder of this company, no matter who's name it switches to, games are played. Note that Genesis, or whatever name they switch it too has NOT been legally able to build boats since 2008.

Reaction score
Think of it this way, anyone can get a mold, a business license, a coast guard number to build and start laying up and selling boats. Would you put your family in a boat built by someone that has NO insurance? Some builders has a very checkered past, just look up Jerry Van Beek on Google. He was the founder of this company, no matter who's name it switches to, games are played. Note that Genesis, or whatever name they switch it too has NOT been legally able to build boats since 2008.

Your an Idiot, Jerry was not the founder. And yes if someone wants a boat we can build one for them. The economy has been bad for everyone and we won't build stock because it costs to much to hold on to a boat, because when you build a blue one then people want the red one and so on. I don't like posting stupid people saying dumb crap and you have always been one to have a runny bung hole for a mouth. You don't really know what happened and if you talk to customers who know me and Genesis they will tell you they love there boats and were treated more than fair. You can buy our models thru American Offshore we have a partnership with them or thru Fiber Composites in Hemet CA.

boatpi

Reaction score
Be careful with your words (0) poster??. Do you have a reason the blow up, who ever you are?? Read the posted USCG info says it all although some is offline now as it is dated. All it takes is a business license to make boats plus the Coast Guard MIC number as a MFG. Also USCG has many Genesis names, you have the sort through the many locations. Molds are sold and passed forward to each owner, and every new owner needs to register with USCG, or change the name and aquire a different MIC, even though the mold is exactly the same. Call the USCG, ask for yourself.

I went to Genesis, spoke to Jerry at one point, saw the boats photographed them ,etc. He told me was always the owner.

Interestingly I traced the Merc engine for a claim and the Merc engine distributor has thir attorney chasing after anyone involved with Genesis for non payment for 5-6 engine/drive packages.....

Not my concern, just the facts. After his USCG license history I believe it went to his sister who is an attorney. Fairly sure on that, but don't quote me. Now the C brothers may have laid up every hull made but that does not change the company ownership. (and I have met one if not both of them, and they do good work from what I have seen). Your company or anyone else popping out boats still needs an active MIC to tie it to the USCG license, or mold the boat by contract for the MIC "owner". So I guess you can label it Genesis, or Advantage, or whatever, but the MIC on the back of the hull needs to be a current MFG, end of story.

If you are anyone else are making boats without insurance, up to you. I would never have my family ride in one. Shame the industry is not regulated more on this point as unsuspecting buyer might not realize this. Hell anyone can buy a boat with a 10 year warranty only to have the company fold 10 minutes after purchase. All the new owner is left with is the Merc warranty. But that how life is at times, be educated and careful how you spend your $. So everyone knows boat builder can change ownership to the MIC code, that is the hull numbers first 3 letters/numbers, like shorts.

I know of a number of high $$ lawsuits ongoing where someone got killed or hurt, they sue everyone involved, repair, boat builder, etc. Even if the boat builder is in no way responsible. it is a dificult business, and in my opinion liability insurance in the millions is neccesary.

boatpi

Reaction score
I'll take a stab at it and say you are Rudy, and are not too pleased I am posting some facts, for whatever reason.. So if "you" are selling Genesis labeled boats "sellig or marketing" them through AmOffshore, introduce yourself and tell everyone who is the licensse of the USCG MIC number and what name is on the boats? Maybe tell everyone what MIC you are using as to clarify.

Reaction score
Wrong my name is Joel and I can build the boats with the Coast Guard approval since I have had an ongoing relationship with them and recently had them at my shop for the annual inspection. I am currently in NADA and have current product liability Insurance. You are right it is a tough business to be in and I truly hope everyone fairs well thru this economics down turn. I do apologize for my last post to you the thing is we always try to do right by the customers and granted we made a few "association" mistakes. Believe me I lost a sh-t ton of money. those people are gone and hopefully they are doing ok I don't wish them ill. My decision to bring them in, my BAD. Now as far as the boats and how they are built... come on give me that. We built them with our families in mind and the fact that I could ask a customer to borrow the boats for demos and they would bring the boat to the launch ramp gassed up and ready to go tells you the type of people we are. Going forward I hope everyone well and if you want a boat believe me we can still out build a lot of guys out there

boatpi

Reaction score
Ok, got it. I do not post stuff unless I can back it up with facts. Remember I see all the scams, people getting ripped and not knowing it until it is too late. Sad.

I always thought your gel work was top notch, and was not afraid to share my opinion on that. And glad to hear you are doing it right, and you KNOW the right way to do it. My 2 cents is the sad news we lost so many quality builder in So cal that were building a good family boat at a reasonable price that could be insured for a decent rate. I know you now get my point, be aware what your are spending you hard earned $$ on. Look at others, ..I can to or three that wre in Riverside/Corona, shit disappeared, MSO's submitted for a stolen boat claim, and it it was ..a "paper boat", it NEVER existed. That kind of fraud was not uncommon around the industry.

Post your stuff with pix, I would like to know what molds you are using as some of the 80's-90's stuff were really good designs. Good luck, it is all about getting loans now.

Thought you might like this one.

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Let It Ride

Reaction score
Wrong my name is Joel and I can build the boats with the Coast Guard approval since I have had an ongoing relationship with them and recently had them at my shop for the annual inspection. I am currently in NADA and have current product liability Insurance. You are right it is a tough business to be in and I truly hope everyone fairs well thru this economics down turn. I do apologize for my last post to you the thing is we always try to do right by the customers and granted we made a few "association" mistakes. Believe me I lost a sh-t ton of money. those people are gone and hopefully they are doing ok I don't wish them ill. My decision to bring them in, my BAD. Now as far as the boats and how they are built... come on give me that. We built them with our families in mind and the fact that I could ask a customer to borrow the boats for demos and they would bring the boat to the launch ramp gassed up and ready to go tells you the type of people we are. Going forward I hope everyone well and if you want a boat believe me we can still out build a lot of guys out there

Hey Joel it's good to hear from you, sorry it was this type of format. As you can see i still have my boat and love it, i'm still getting great comments on it. are you guys making boats, if so where?