It's been said "Early to bed, early to rise. Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise". If that holds any truth then on September 17, 2016, Pirate Cove Resort was flooded by genius level boat Owners and Drivers. I began my morning at 7am. Pulling in to Jack Smith Memorial Park in Needles, CA. I was thinking I might catch the beginning of the precession down to Pirate Cove. Maybe some early hot laps. Instead I only found a lot full of empty trailers. After ten minutes and not even hearing a boat engine, I beat feet for Pirate Cove. I arrived at Pirate Cove and by the look of the trailer queen hot rods in the parking lot I knew it was going to be a
good day. Down by the water the Cove was packed full and boats were strung down the south side of the channel.
At 8am I counted no less than eighty boats!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

So many nice sleds sporting crazy hardware, I didn't know where to begin. Some of the coolest and most unique boats were right in the cove. Being a Billy B event you know there were some killer paint jobs

6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

Continuing around the cove, I was able to enjoy the diversity of the V-Drives in attendance. From family boats to weekend hot rods; Classic wood deck boats to full blown Race boats. The morning was progressing nicely.

11.jpg
8.jpg
12.jpg
9.jpg
13.jpg
10.jpg

By lunch time things were in full swing. The regular Saturday river crowd came in to mingle with River Rocket participants making for a great cross section of boats and people. I was able to hitch a ride for some off shore
scenery as things were building steam.

17.jpg
14.jpg
18.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Then it seemed as if someone began venting the steam; slowing the momentum. Taking the "early to bed" notion to heart the River Rocket crew began to pack it up around 1pm. With the heard thinning quickly I rushed to get
some additional admiration time with the remaining boats.

23.jpg
19.jpg
24.jpg
21.jpg
25.jpg
22.jpg
20.jpg

This event is such a great time. The opportunity to talk with tons of awesome people and even reconnected with some I hadn't seen in years was fantastic. Hope to see you all at the 7 th annual event next year!