WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2014 SJP Jeep Rubicon JK Build

mbrown2

Reaction score
Nice jeep build....I saw your jeep downtown Saturday...funny as I was leaving on my bike I saw a guy with a DCB hat at Pizza Lounge and now that I read this thread I am thinking it was you and your jeep...funny small world...very nice Jeep...

Looks like you live right off of Indianapolis....I am on Frankfort near Hill...good luck on the build!

This is my old jeep...2007 Sahara, with 30K miles on her...literally had a Rubi on order in Nov 2006 but with the new JKU it was going to take 4-6 months at the time and so I went Sahara....It has ARB lockers, 5.13 Gears, Full Traction adjustable 3 inch, bumpers, and whole bunch of wasted money in stuff in her :)....and still fun to drive! When I keep it in Cali it is pretty much a beach cruiser but when we keep it at the Parker place we take her to El Supremo, Dyanmite Canyon and other trails...I really take it easy on her....wish I would have kept my TJ as a beater..:)

Side 3.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nice jeep! Yeah I had the family down there having lunch. As I got there another guy also had a DCB hat on completely random. :D It could have been me or this other guy - did not realize it until they were leaving. Probably a member on here.

So back to jeeps - I got some more electrical to finish off on the spare carrier and the lights. I ordered a Harken top pulley for the garage. We will see how that goes. Helped another member get squared away at Anderson on a new unit. Pretty productive day.

Nice jeep build....I saw your jeep downtown Saturday...funny as I was leaving on my bike I saw a guy with a DCB hat at Pizza Lounge and now that I read this thread I am thinking it was you and your jeep...funny small world...very nice Jeep...

Looks like you live right off of Indianapolis....I am on Frankfort near Hill...good luck on the build!

This is my old jeep...2007 Sahara, with 30K miles on her...literally had a Rubi on order in Nov 2006 but with the new JKU it was going to take 4-6 months at the time and so I went Sahara....It has ARB lockers, 5.13 Gears, Full Traction adjustable 3 inch, bumpers, and whole bunch of wasted money in stuff in her :)....and still fun to drive! When I keep it in Cali it is pretty much a beach cruiser but when we keep it at the Parker place we take her to El Supremo, Dyanmite Canyon and other trails...I really take it easy on her....wish I would have kept my TJ as a beater..:)

View attachment 374003

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Bunch of ballers. I need to work more OT. Lol

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Bought a sport S unlimited tonite, white, 3.73 gears and limited slip. Opted to pass on the rubicon, I'm too anal to jeep that hard core that I would need the lockers. Ordered up 3.5" lift, 35's and black fuel rims.

I shopped used for awhile and for what the used ones are going for it made sense
To buy new for not a whole lot more.

It will look like this once lift and wheels are on. It's in transit and should arrive at the dealer next week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414556484.944087.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have not decided on which shocks yet to get with the lift kit, fox, bilsteins? I have always like bilsteins but see a lot of guys with fox stuff now.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I got some of the lights online tonight. The A pillar lights to go. Issues on the bumper lights. Getting the dim and strobing effect when linked to the factory column fog wiring and switch. May need to wire this direct to the spod or put in a capacitor. We will see. Regardless I was able to light the alley 4 blocks. :D

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have not decided on which shocks yet to get with the lift kit, fox, bilsteins? I have always like bilsteins but see a lot of guys with fox stuff now.

I went with Fox w res but have bilsteins on DMAX.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Very nice job you have done. Looks great!

If we get one I plan....key word....plan on keeping it basically stock. We know how that goes though.....lol

Reactions: SJP

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Very nice job you have done. Looks great!

If we get one I plan....key word....plan on keeping it basically stock. We know how that goes though.....lol
We all know that just doesn't happen. [emoji20]

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I got some of the lights online tonight. The A pillar lights to go. Issues on the bumper lights. Getting the dim and strobing effect when linked to the factory column fog wiring and switch. May need to wire this direct to the spod or put in a capacitor. We will see. Regardless I was able to light the alley 4 blocks. :D

View attachment 374379

Standard issues with the lights....

Everyone I know that has tried to hook it up to the factory plug has had the dstrobe light issue. Honestly I'm not sure if there is a way around it? (google anti flicker harness for jk fog lights)

Spod will make easy work of the situation:D

The whole reason I didn't put ridgids in that spot is becuse I like to drive with the fog lights on. The ridgids would be too bright.

Have you done new headlights yet? Holy cow the truck lites made a big difference!!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

Everyone I know that has tried to hook it up to the factory plug has had the dstrobe light issue. Honestly I'm not sure if there is a way around it? (google anti flicker harness for jk fog lights)

The whole reason I didn't put ridgids in that spot is becuse I like to drive with the fog lights on. The ridgids would be too bright.

Have you done new headlights yet? Holy cow the truck lites made a big difference!!

I hear you on the strobing - I left a spod bank open for it but was going to try it for the stock functionality. I was hearing it was a 50/50 shot it would work. Paul65K has not had issues going direct to the column with his so I gave it a go. I hear there is a capacitor that I can wire in line that will alleviate the issue. I have not replaced the headlights yet but they are really dim when I shut off deafcon 5 light show. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I hear you on the strobing - I left a spod bank open for it but was going to try it for the stock functionality. I was hearing it was a 50/50 shot it would work. Paul65K has not had issues going direct to the column with his so I gave it a go. I hear there is a capacitor that I can wire in line that will alleviate the issue. I have not replaced the headlights yet but they are really dim when I shut off deafcon 5 light show. :D

I think its a jk issue....

Dirty electronics or canbus problem

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
SJP...the new ride looks great. I'm glad you went with machine finish wheels instead of black! :D

10600609_10204533579889538_6048242264553136763_n.jpg
10580104_10204533580609556_4006021903222641943_n.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
SJP...the new ride looks great. I'm glad you went with machine finish wheels instead of black! :D

You did not want too make it 3???

Choices, choices :D. I have to say this project was really fun. I have a couple of cleanup items on wiring lights etc. some more air plumbing. I also want to get it easy to take the top off at the beach. I am sure I may do a bunch more things to this vehicle but at this point I am pretty excited to actually finding time to get it on a trail. I have to prove 2driver wrong on his glam jeep statement. :D

My favorite part of the project was spending time in the garage with my dad. It reminded me of working on RC cars or models with him when I was younger except everything was a lot more expensive. :D

SJP

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My jeep isn't here yet but I'm ordering like there's no tomorrow, what's the light bar width that works for across the windshield? Who sells the brackets?

Thx, Walt

Ivan Dan

Reaction score

Singleton

Reaction score

Where did you get your TruckLites lights from?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
My jeep isn't here yet but I'm ordering like there's no tomorrow, what's the light bar width that works for across the windshield? Who sells the brackets?

Thx, Walt

So the PS ones fit a rigid E or SR series 50 inch perfect. Both in width and you to not need to mod the slots of the bracket for the light. I tried to go with a radius 50 off brand before and everything was a bit off.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Well,

after a month, we ditched the 2015 Sport and got a stock new 2014 Rubicon....
Pros: rubicon (per the resident jeepers):D
Cons: I have to spec the damn thing now with a budget, and, after thinking I got away clean with white....I now have: Black(argh!)
Pretty good price.

We had a terrible experience with the sport in the rear AOE bumper-installation, then headaches with finger pointing between sales/service. A/C was shutting off while drving.

I will say someone can buy a nice used 2015 sport from the dealer with new Fab Fours bumpers now:D. It didn't cost us anything, just plenty of frustration.

Hoping to have a lift/wheels on it by turkey day, we'll see.....

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Just got home from my first run with it. Awesome. :thumbup:

It is broken in. :D

Will post some more pics. This hobby could get addicting. I was able to finish the roof hoist in the garage as well.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
SJP. Where did you go?
Lowriver , I have a lift in the garage if ya want to install it

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
SJP, where did you wheel?
LowRiver, I have a two post lift in the garage if you want to install your lift here.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

Weird I tied my Rigids into the factory fog switch on my TJ and no issues.....I'm guessing they were set-up for higher wattage with the older factory fogs on the TJs vs those cute little things on the JK :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
SJP. Where did you go?

We're getting close to a rip jeep meet up with all of these built rigs.

Maybe do a hotel deal in big bear. Go run some trails on a Saturday and then find a local hotel next to a nice bar/restaurant.

I always think gold mountain is a good first run or we can do Holcomb and John Bull if there feeling it[emoji12]

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Weird I tied my Rigids into the factory fog switch on my TJ and no issues.....I'm guessing they were set-up for higher wattage with the older factory fogs on the TJs vs those cute little things on the JK :D

I think it's a jk issue....not sure if it effects all years. Didn't affect me because I like my factory fogs for around town.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score

Maybe do a hotel deal in big bear. Go run some trails on a Saturday and then find a local hotel next to a nice bar/restaurant.

I always think gold mountain is a good first run or we can do Holcomb and John Bull if there feeling it[emoji12]

If we're doing Big Bear it had be pretty soon. I'd hate to tackle gold Mtn in the snow - those rocks get real slippery.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If we're doing Big Bear it had be pretty soon. I'd hate to tackle gold Mtn in the snow - those rocks get real slippery.

If it's wet or snowing we can just go to the bar...lol

I don't have a desire to wheel in the snow. Sliding into trees wouldn't make me happy[emoji23]

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
SJP. Where did you go?

So I went on a run off the 15 and Cleghorn (near silverwood lake) with a couple of buddies that was sponsored and held by OC Motorsports (17 jeeps). They did a great job putting this run on. It was 1st class with Bque at the end - good times. Completely safe, challeging first run, chill and fun. I enjoyed it.

That sounds like a good time. Let's do it. I have two other friends that probably would like to join this run as well.

I will bring my snowboard either way. :D

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Cleghorn is a fun run, especially for a first one. Enough challenges there, bypasses if ya want them and little serious chance of a real f'up.

Singleton

Reaction score
Being in CA, what did you do with the front license plate?
Just ordered the next round of goodies for the Jeep and then realized I need to find a home for the front plate since I drive it to/from the office and it looks like the PS bumper does not have a mount.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Just ordered the next round of goodies for the Jeep and then realized I need to find a home for the front plate since I drive it to/from the office and it looks like the PS bumper does not have a mount.

Honestly I would say you wouldn't have an issue.... Most cops like jeeps

There are options for both steel and synthetic winches if you have one on the PS bumper.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/front-hawse-fairlead-license-plate-mounting-bracket-by-rugged-ridge.html

One thing to consider is it could reduce air flow a tad to the radiator.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I registered and plated it in AZ. Problem solved. :D

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So here are a couple my friend took. I need to get my gopro from havasu going. For the record it has been off the highway. :D

JK in training.jpg

1st hill climb.jpg

JK about to lose fender.jpg

Still in one piece.jpg

SJP Jeep_Cleg1.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What are good seat covers? There are a shot ton of them out there.

Paul65k

Reaction score

I went with these from CoverKing in the Veloci-vent material for my Wrangler.......they fit absolutely perfectly on the seats. I have the Neoprene material (wet Okole) on my Avalanche seats which was great when we lived at the beach in CA but is just a little hot and doesn't breathe well here in the desert so chose this material for the jeep and it has been perfect even in the 110 degree summer heat........I would order this material again even if we were back at the beach..........and the best part is the whole set (front and back) is only $189.....replace them every few years if they wear out and you won't care :D

http://www.costco.com/Coverking-Cus...aterials-To-Choose-From.product.11618905.html

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

So what mods are you doing? I just hooked up the Harken garage hardtop lift. Makes it pretty easy.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
So what mods are you doing? I just hooked up the Harken garage hardtop lift. Makes it pretty easy.
It sounds like he is adding seat covers. He needs to protect the seats from the nervous sweat that will happen as he rolls up to the parking block at the mall.

[emoji14]

Paul65k

Reaction score
It sounds like he is adding seat covers. He needs to protect the seats from the nervous sweat that will happen as he rolls up to the parking block at the mall.

[emoji14]
:lmao.....that's good one!!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

[emoji14]

Cleared one of those bitches tonite at Costco, didn't even need low range. Amazing vehicle.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Did the 3" rubicon lift and 35" hankook all terrains, fuel rims, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, sway bar disconnect and rear bumper / tire carrier yesterday.

It's a little squirly on the freeway coming out last night, but it was windy as fuck and they had way too much pressure in the tires.

Rock sliders should be coming from brown santa shortly.

Need to add the matching front bumper and tow bar set up next.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416071955.282312.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416071965.738972.jpg

82daytona

Reaction score
Did the 3" rubicon lift and 35" hankook all terrains, fuel rims, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, sway bar disconnect and rear bumper / tire carrier yesterday.

It's a little squirly on the freeway coming out last night, but it was windy as fuck and they had way too much pressure in the tires.

Rock sliders should be coming from brown santa shortly.

Need to add the matching front bumper and tow bar set up next.

View attachment 376925
View attachment 376926

Baller! :)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Shit, wife just took off in the jeep to Walmart. "I love my new jeep" FAK.