WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RB’s prerunner build.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Picked up this beauty over New Years. It was time to step up my off-road game and needed something that would comfortably haul the family, while having the ability to traverse off reading like I like to do it.

Decided instead of going the side by side route (keep in mind I have had a rhino since they came out) I wanted to step up and experience what it’s like to have windows doors AC and heat.

This thing started life as a 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4.

A buddy of mine built this a few years ago. And I have wanted it since. The majority of the work was done at Mc Neil racing. The truck has been used hard and put away wet a couple times. So needs some love for sure.

But is a great base for me to start my build with and be able to use in between projects.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Motor and teams is stock 4.0 liter and trans.

Interior has been fully caged with 4 buckets and harnesses. Stock door panels and dash (which need some love)

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

Full size 35” spare with room for coolers [emoji106]
IMG_0218.JPG

Fox coil overs up front.
IMG_0222.JPG

Fox bypass in the rear with a linked rear
IMG_0220.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Our first big trip was from opus buddy’s property in ocotillo to Mexico. Approximately 110 miles or so. We made it most of the way except our group was just too large and we were running out of daylight. So we went about 80 miles total. Family approves. [emoji106]
IMG_0228.JPG

With how dusty it was it was nice to roll up the windows and crank the AC. [emoji106]

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
A buddy picked up a new to him prerunner as well. Last thing he wanted was to have me pull him out of being stuck. But the explorer handled it amazingly.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I really dig that thing.

One of my race trucks has the stock 4.0/5 speed. Ain’t the fastest but the damn thing won’t break!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I really dig that thing.

One of my race trucks has the stock 4.0/5 speed. Ain’t the fastest but the damn thing won’t break!

When we decided to buy it the plan was to do an LS swap. But these 4.0 liters are just so reliable not sure I want to mess with it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
First break I’m sure of many.

Looks like an axle seal failure. Axle will be checked and new bearing and seal installed. Having the other side checked as well while it’s apart.

IMG_0238.JPG

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I know that there’s a carbon fiber dash and front door panels made, not 100% on rear door panels but would be bad ass for sure. Looks like a fun cruiser for sure.

DLC

Reaction score
Looks like a cool cruiser! Put a new dash in it and add the radio / head phones from rugged or PCI.

If you swap out Motor / trans you might start to chase problems - to fast for the suspension, to much power for the drive train.

I have spent a lot of time under that tressel - having frosty’s! There are some great mini dunes west and just a tad north from where that tressel is.
Used to run our rhino’s there all the time.

That is a great platform! I was looking for a ford Ranger, but kinda gave up on that idea...

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a cool cruiser! Put a new dash in it and add the radio / head phones from rugged or PCI.

If you swap out Motor / trans you might start to chase problems - to fast for the suspension, to much power for the drive train.

I have spent a lot of time under that tressel - having frosty’s! There are some great mini dunes west and just a tad north from where that tressel is.
Used to run our rhino’s there all the time.

That is a great platform! I was looking for a ford Ranger, but kinda gave up on that idea...

That’s my plan. I’m going to try and find a junk explorer with good interior and swap panels and dash. I’m happy with the 4 liter since it’s a cruiser.

We have got quite a few pre runners in our group and was going to build a ranger but this is better suited for what I need.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not sure what lug pattern you are currently running but a buddy of mine when he was building the 1450 truck now owned by Tim @ Maxed Out Marine, built on a cnc a set of 5/5 front billet hubs that utilize the king pin snouts and add 1” per side to over all width. Best part is they use real bearings and are ten times as strong as a stock hub. They are just sitting in his shop last i heard he only wanted 850$ with cnc calipers and big rotors

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
s-l16001.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

so suspension wise this thing is dialed. unfortunately electrically there are some issues that I need to correct. first order of business. I found a factory dash with all the factory wiring in tact. The dash that's in there now is cracked and in rough shape.

so I'm removing the entire old dash with butchered wiring and installing this ebay find with unmolested factory wiring. and I will carefully trim around the V-bars and roll cage to have a cleaner look than we currently have. The guy had a set of factory rear door panels as well so he threw those in.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Spent the weekend going through the truck and fixing odds and ends and in general just doing some cleaning.

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Ordered a new plate for her.

“Pre run fun”
IMG_0320.JPG

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
It’s wasnt all work this weekend. Took the kids out for lunch. Something fun about going around corners tires screeching and truck leaning with one wheel almost lifting off the ground. Kids enjoy it.

IMG_0300.JPG

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So one of the first big items on the to-do list is to get a trailer.

I have narrowed it down to either a 20 or 24 enclosed (either option will be a v nose) Found a builder back east that will let me spec exactly what I want.

We want to have AC/heat and a bathroom/shower. As our future plans include a pusher and this will be where the kids sleep. Big dilemma is if we go 24’ (28 overall) it limits our options on coaches. To a total of 37’ length.

On the other hand a 20’ with everything we want might be too small. But since I’m building it I can make changes to design.
This is the explorer sitting on a borrowed 20’ trailer for reference

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Word of advice, bigger is better with trailers. You be amazed at how much crap you end up packing and all of that space takes up valuable cargo space.
Garages, boats and trailers. All catch two footer sickness rather quickly.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Word of advice, bigger is better with trailers. You be amazed at how much crap you end up packing and all of that space takes up valuable cargo space.

I agree. Except In this case it results in a smaller coach due to 65’ limit in Ca. So I can only go to a max 37’ overall coach.

hallett21

Reaction score
Not sure how soon you'd be buying the pusher. But would it be worth getting the bigger trailer now and possibly get a non commercial A so you could pull longer loads with permit?

No one ever complains about having too much space. Lol look at your shop

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I was asked about the spare and if/how it was secured. It’s actually a pretty trick idea. The cage comes around and crosses the floor of the rear of the truck. So they welded in a threaded rod And welded a nut to a socket. They then machined a piece that fits in the wheel to hold it down. Here are some pics.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Meaney77

Reaction score
I agree. Except In this case it results in a smaller coach due to 65’ limit in Ca. So I can only go to a max 37’ overall coach.

I am over the 65’ limit and have yet to have any issues...I hope I don’t eat my words and jinx myself now!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I am over the 65’ limit and have yet to have any issues...I hope I don’t eat my words and jinx myself now!

With my luck I would get the book thrown at me. Hence why I’m trying to do every thing legit.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure how soon you'd be buying the pusher. But would it be worth getting the bigger trailer now and possibly get a non commercial A so you could pull longer loads with permit?

No one ever complains about having too much space. Lol look at your shop

I thought I could do non commercial class A. And go longer but couldn’t find anything confirming. If that’s the case then I would go with bigger for sure.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I like it!!!!

Don't cheat yourself on the trailer!!!

I pull a 28' enclosed with a 43'DP....

How do all the nascar guys pull the over length rigs in and out of Komifornia...

It can be done...

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I thought I could do non commercial class A. And go longer but couldn’t find anything confirming. If that’s the case then I would go with bigger for sure.

Cal trans over length permit...

90.00 per year.... Just sayin

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I like it!!!!

How do all the nascar guys pull the over length rigs in and out of Komifornia...

It can be done...

My questions are regarding to doing it legally. I know people speed and talk on their phones all the time but doesn’t make it legal.

Singleton

Reaction score

Go talk to Ultra Santek trailers in Perris. They custom built my TH. Trailer started as a stacker. With height comes options of what you can do.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing a trash bin and some organization wouldn't take care of.

There’s not a single thing in there that’s trash. Organization yes. 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. [emoji17]

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I like it!!!!

It can be done...

There is a motorsport exception for race teams to and from events in CA....

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
There is a motorsport exception for race teams to and from events in CA....

So let’s say I was to create a “race team” under a Motorsports Llc. Then I would be ok?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So let’s say I was to create a “race team” under a Motorsports Llc. Then I would be ok?

In theory yes. But if your going to Glamis and its not a scheduled "race" event, or location, then it could be an issue with CHP. But again does CHP know every rule? Maybe not, so if you show a your LLC info and its for testing your race car you "might" get away with it..... Or they will fine you and make you drop your trailer and have it towed with something that keeps it under the limit.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/ex-motorsports.html

Thunderhead1

Reaction score

No!!! your overthinkin this thing.... Singlton put the link in the post above.

fill it out ... send 90.00 you get an annual permit.

ITS LEGAL that way.... anything happens, insurance is valid , cops are happy etc etc.

Mike

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
No!!! your overthinkin this thing.... Singlton put the link in the post above.

fill it out ... send 90.00 you get an annual permit.

ITS LEGAL that way.... anything happens, insurance is valid , cops are happy etc etc.

Mike

Seems to easy. Lol

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
But back to your build thread...didn't mean to get into the weeds here on this.... Are you running that in the poker run at pirates this weekend??

I was headed that way,,,, But seems that I will end up in Barstow at the race out of Slash X this weekend.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
But back to your build thread...didn't mean to get into the weeds here on this.... Are you running that in the poker run at pirates this weekend??

I was headed that way,,,, But seems that I will end up in Barstow at the race out of Slash X this weekend.

No problem. You have been beyond helpful and have cost me more money. Lol.

Unfortunately no. I will be taking it to Parker next weekend. And then back to ocotillo for pres weekend. An Illness in the family has unfortunately sucked up a lot of my free time.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Universal in riverside will build anything you want
Santek also.
Are you doing out of state for price?

My universal is 26ft 9ft tall 8.5 wide, fits rail with paddles on. Bathroom, shower, cook top, microwave, heat and air, 2 couches that convert to beds and 2 happy jack beds in rear, fridge, large flat screen, al n Ed diamond sound system, large air compressor, hidden wench in floor, 7k lbs axles. It’s pretty over the top for a “enclosed car hauler”

Buddy of mine has I believe it’s a santek stacker, but he had them do solid floor up top with beds for all the kids to sleep up top. And him and wifey sleep in the MH. He’s over length for sure, but it’s a pimp ass set up

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Universal in riverside will build anything you want
Santek also.
Are you doing out of state for price?

My universal is 26ft 9ft tall 8.5 wide, fits rail with paddles on. Bathroom, shower, cook top, microwave, heat and air, 2 couches that convert to beds and 2 happy jack beds in rear, fridge, large flat screen, al n Ed diamond sound system, large air compressor, hidden wench in floor, 7k lbs axles. It’s pretty over the top for a “enclosed car hauler”

Buddy of mine has I believe it’s a santek stacker, but he had them do solid floor up top with beds for all the kids to sleep up top. And him and wifey sleep in the MH. He’s over length for sure, but it’s a pimp ass set up

Yes. I’m going out of state due to price. Nobody can come close locally. Or I would build local.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
This is who I have been talking to. Their service has been excellent and I can’t seem to find better pricing even factoring I’m transporting to me.

https://www.unitedsalesllc.org

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I went with a spread axle trailer.... If I had it to do over again I would have went with a traditional set up... the fenders are shorter and the trailer is higher.
The spread axle tows awesome... looks cool... BUT completely sucks for off road . I ripped the door step off mine on a couple studder bumps that I have driven over 100 times with my last trailer...

Just something to think about....

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Well. Yesterday didn’t go quite as planned. [emoji17]

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG