WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

KMET Radio DJ's...Anybody remember?

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Anybody listen to the new 100.3 FM here in So Cal today?? From 7 AM to 8 PM they had alot of the original KMET DJ's, "Finally a Friday" on with alot of memories from the "Original So Cal Rock Station" on the radio... It was kinda cool!:champagne: Some of you guy's might be too young to remember:grumble: :D Anyway,it was kinda cool! Jeff Gonzer,"Paraquat Kelly", Jackson B. Snyderfish:D,Frazier Smith and more...Ted Nugent called in "live" as did Tom Petty and George Thourogood...hope they do it again..it was fun to listen to. They also played the "original" breaking news clip of when John Lennon was killed with Jim Ladd at the mic and Ace Young with the new's!:blah: :party2: It was like this---->:party: back in those day's even more than now! Tracy

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
BMR / B. Mitchell Reed.
Played entire albums commercial free.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I remember the "Fish Report" and 5 O'clock funnies. Jim Ladd, the stinking liberal suck that he is, was a great DJ from 10 til 2AM.......Ah yes, the "Mighty Met"....Ray

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
You must be a young one:D...But actually,YES,I too remember that station:p,didnt last too long tho...
I remember 100.3 Pirate Radio!
Yeah...the fish report,they played a few of those today too:champagne:..it was kinda fun to listen to...sooooo many memories;)
I remember the "Fish Report" and 5 O'clock funnies. Jim Ladd, the stinking liberal suck that he is, was a great DJ from 10 til 2AM.......Ah yes, the "Mighty Met"....Ray

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Their dogs name was Tripod and they ened up shooting him one afternoon . The station was ok but Gazaris was the shit..... The Late Breaking Surf report was a must have also... couldnt start the day with out it....

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
Old time (not ancient) radio rocked. All kinds of stations, DJs and formats. I remember some great ones on the East and West Coasts. When I was a kid I listened to WABC, the flagship station in the NYC area with a number of now famous DJs including "Cousin Brucie".

I lived in the SF Bay Area and there were a number of stations there that were memorable including KMEL and KOME ("cum").

They had Geno Mitchellini (who has been on the radio here in SoCal where he now lives) and Denis Erectus and played some really edgy commercials ("Does your Mother know there's a KOME spot on the radio?", etc.). For any of you who know this one here's some history:

komespot_logo_475w.gif

KOME radio stuff - click here

KOME attracted a loyal South Bay rock audience throughout the 1970s and early 1990s, against original San Jose FM rock rival KSJO. Both stations managed to attract some listeners within neighboring San Francisco against Tom Donahue's well-known KMPX and KSAN, neither of which had a significant presence in the South Bay. KOME's diamond shaped stickers were a common sight on vehicles and high school lockers around the area. Several on-air slogans suggested the sexual connotations of its call letters, probably the most memorable being Chevy Chase exclaiming "Don't touch that dial, it's got KOME on it!," as well as others saying things like "K-O-M-E all over your radio dial," "Wake up with KOME in your ear," and "The KOME spot on your dial." Not surprisingly, Playboy magazine found this newsworthy enough to mention the station.

The station's free-form rock music allowed disc jockeys to choose their music. In 1974, program director Ed Romig tightened up the free-form rock format, but his successor, Mikel Herrington (aka Mikel Hunter and in a previous incarnation, "Captain Mikey") returned the station to its free-form roots in August 1977. He discarded the card catalog playlist in favor of an eclectic library including art-rock, jazz, punk, new wave, and soul within a rock format framework.

The KOME decals of that era were seen not just locally, but photographs of them were sent to the station proving people placed them both nationally and internationally (San Jose, Costa Rica sported a KOME decal for a while). These early diamond decals were available to listeners as both black on yellow, and yellow on black, with "Our Decal" the phrase at the bottom. Other station items also sported the "Our" designation such as "Our Light," "Our Cube" (a pen holder), even the payroll checks said "Our Checks" on them. A limited number of diamond decals with black on a white background were produced for staff members. Listeners soon became highly creative, cutting up the decals to read new phrases; the most notorious was likely "KOKE 99.9% Pure." The later "Rock Radio" era eliminated the "Our Decal" and replaced it with "FM," as well as producing some with a digital typeface. Both eras produced limited edition decals promoting bands of the day such as the Rolling Stones, The Who, and Bruce Springsteen.

News at the "come" era of KOME was taken seriously, but allowed for room to expand to clever parodies of news events of the day through the efforts of Production Director Jack Perry and News Director Rob Singleton, (and in the earlier days Joe Regelski) with Newsman Mark Goldberg assisting. Production and airstaff members would assist in producing skits that rivaled those of popular comedy troupe the Credibility Gap.

1980s-1990s
According to an article in Metro, KOME's freeform ethic ended around 1982, when Infinity Broadcasting tightened the station's playlist and enlisted radio consultants to determine programming. [2] [3] Mikel Hunter Herrington, who earlier had great success programming KMET in Los Angeles, left the station in protest. He spent the next few years doing radio in Las Vegas, Philadelphia (WIP), and finally back in Northern California at Napa's KVYN.

In 1983, PD Les Tracy hardened the format to a mostly heavy metal playlist. Hard rock and Tracy lasted slightly less than a year before dismal ratings released Tracy, and new PD Pat Evans reverted KOME to its previous approach.

The years between 1983 and 1994 were the station's high-water mark with now famous KOME personalities such as Blazy & Bob, Stephen Page, "Weird Uncle" Frank Bennett, Scott Lewis and the return of Dennis Erectus, turning KOME into one of the most notorious in the nation, winning the Rolling Stone Readers Poll as Station Of The Year in both 1988 and 1990, landing them on the cover of the music magazine. Local, national and international live broadcasts, innovative promotions from the office of Assistant Program Director and Marketing veteran Dave Wohlman (former WBCN, Boston personality and Production whizz) kept the station in the fore-front of rock radio. The end came quickly and sadly when parent company Infinity pulled the plug on the AOR format.

KOME went to alternative rock and new wave music in May 1994, eschewing much of the remaining remnants of its rock past. Syndicated programming such as The Howard Stern Show and Loveline [4] supplanted some local DJs, but the spark was gone!

wolfie

Reaction score
I was able to listen to it on the internet. It was awesome. Brought back a lot of great memories of my misspent (but fun) youth!!!! Listen to Dr. Demento afterward as well. I hadn't listened to him in years!!!!

I remember the three things I always made sure to listen to/watch in the mid-late '70s were the Friday fish report, Saturday Night Live, and Dr. D on Sunday nights!!!!!! My dad thought I was f'ed up laying in the living room with headphones on busting up over Dr. D.

Piper

Reaction score
I still have some "Mighty Met" stickers in a drawer in my garage. I used to cut the "T" off the end and put them on the bumpers of the cars in my neighborhood. :rolleyes:

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Don't forget Rachel & Tom Donohue, they started the station.

shueman

Reaction score
I was able to listen to it on the internet. It was awesome. Brought back a lot of great memories of my misspent (but fun) youth!!!! Listen to Dr. Demento afterward as well. I hadn't listened to him in years!!!!

I remember the three things I always made sure to listen to/watch in the mid-late '70s were the Friday fish report, Saturday Night Live, and Dr. D on Sunday nights!!!!!! My dad thought I was f'ed up laying in the living room with headphones on busting up over Dr. D.

Ditto here...:champagne: Really brought out the "flashbacks"...:D

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Lots of great KMET memories.
Still got a brand-new KMET Baseball cap stashed away somewhere...

charlyox

Reaction score
Wasn't Dusty Street on the Met? And Dr. Demento on Sunday nights.

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
And I dont know if ya heard it,but they were baggin' on KLOS:skull because they would not let the DJ's they have now that worked on KMET in the beginning join them for the day or even talk with them on the radio:grumble:

wishiknew

Reaction score
Cynthia Fox and Burner Mary Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solon

Reaction score
It was 'Dusty roads'. I loved to listen to her program.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Anybody listen to the new 100.3 FM here in So Cal today?? From 7 AM to 8 PM they had alot of the original KMET DJ's, "Finally a Friday" on with alot of memories from the "Original So Cal Rock Station" on the radio... It was kinda cool!:champagne: Some of you guy's might be too young to remember:grumble: :D Anyway,it was kinda cool! Jeff Gonzer,"Paraquat Kelly", Jackson B. Snyderfish:D,Frazier Smith and more...Ted Nugent called in "live" as did Tom Petty and George Thourogood...hope they do it again..it was fun to listen to. They also played the "original" breaking news clip of when John Lennon was killed with Jim Ladd at the mic and Ace Young with the new's!:blah: :party2: It was like this---->:party: back in those day's even more than now! Tracy

Frazier Smith was on the edge with some of the stuff he did :D:boobeyes:

triangleman

Reaction score
I still have my "Too Hip" card. ( although I don"t carry it anymore )

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Definitely remember the old days of KMET and KWEST.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
"Little bit of Heaven94.7"

V3NMOUS

Reaction score

KMET tweedle-dee!
Used to listen to KMET religiously back in the da. Good freind of mine actually had a Hondo named Whoo-Ya!

lebel409

Reaction score

KMET...tweedle dee.

The Flo and Eddie Show, the King Biscuit Flower Hour.

Some of the best times of my mispent youth, sitting in the garage with my skateboard in the vise, taking out the bearings and soaking them in gasoline to get the dirt off, cleaning them and the races with surgical precision and putting the wheels back together, learning to curse when I dropped a bearing and that BBs aren't them same things...All while rolling the Mighty MET.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Brings back a lot of memories of living in So Cal in the late 70's. Isn't KEMT the station that payed Dr. Demento on the weekend?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread!!!! I can't wipe the smile off my face from all the good times had back then. WOW, what memories and I wish I could remember more of them but most are a fuzzy grey blur!!!:D

Oldscool

Reaction score
You can't not think of those classic stations in so.cal...without mentioning KNAC ! now on the net...@ KNAC.com
"The Loudest Dot Com on the Net"

prosthogod

Reaction score
You can't remember those great stations without remembering all the great wet t-shirt contests in Parker, drinking age 19, and when it wasn't illegal to show your tits.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Brings back a lot of memories of living in So Cal in the late 70's. Isn't KEMT the station that payed Dr. Demento on the weekend?

YES SIR!!

KMET was the best. KLOS is STILL ghay!!! :D

For all you OLD fucks out there...

Who were the first DJ's on KROQ, and what band were they from? Dont google it if you dont know...

They got throw off the air over and over and over again!!!

:skull:skull

Oldscool

Reaction score
That was the "Poorman"..his first name was Jim...you can still see him sometimes on KOCE late night doing a bikini show in Huntington beach...that was a while ago

Last edited:

Oldscool

Reaction score
KROQ was short lived..after the Poorman was gone..it when down hill..Im talkin about the oringal DJs..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
KROQ was short lived..after the Poorman was gone..it when down hill..Im talkin about the oringal DJs..

Close....

Poorman was around for ages though. Hint: These two guys were only on at night, and your correct about them not lasting too long!! FCC wasnt puttin up with their chit!!! :D

Oldscool

Reaction score
Doctor Drew?..and I think ..if memory serves...they had the oringinal lead singer of Van Halen ..Dave..?

howard21

Reaction score
Wonder what ever happened to Cynthia Fox? I met her back in 1983 at the US Festival at Glen Helen. She was a looker for sure.

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Old thread .... Gazaris and KMET Put on great events at Gazaris each band or singer would perform for a hour or less you could get in at 16 years old most of the time and see Van Halen Motley Crue Tina Turner they would lock the doors when the bands started playing let's just say it was a learning experience ........ The best of times The only place that ever came close was Sundance.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Old thread .... Gazaris and KMET Put on great events at Gazaris each band or singer would perform for a hour or less you could get in at 16 years old most of the time and see Van Halen Motley Cr?e Tina Turner they would lock the doors when the bands started playing let's just say it was a learning experience ........ The best of times The only place that ever came close was Sundance.

Saw Van Halen play at the pasadena civic center back when they were still a garage band. They would set up bands in 3 of the 4 corners of the building, and let each one play for an hour or so. Fun times!!! :thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Although old rock was in my blood kmet 94.7 and Klos 95.5, as I grew into my late teens New Wave and KROQ became my preference.

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Tunafishal smelt. Tuna Tuesdays on the strip presented by KMET WHOOYA..

Last edited:

kahon

Reaction score
I have a kmet sticker on my tool box at work.Every once in a while on a job site someone will say ,I remember them or Whoo-Ya

kevnmcd

Reaction score
There are a lot of old So Cal DJ's on a lot of the XM stations. Brings back some good memories.

Dezracer

Reaction score
KMET tweedle-dee!
Used to listen to KMET religiously back in the da. Good freind of mine actually had a Hondo named Whoo-Ya!

I know that Hondo well ! You friends with Chuck or Robby ?

linus3

Reaction score
I remember you were not shit if you did not roll checkered Vans, OP two tone cord shorts, tube socks, concert shirt and a KMET sticker on your
Pee-Chee folder. :cool: