WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carb icing

farmo83

Reaction score
It looks like I’m a little late to the game but I recently discovered Boostpower’s tech talks. In one of them they mention Carb icing on old school TT setups with Carbs? What is this and how does it work?

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
It looks like I’m a little late to the game but I recently discovered Boostpower’s tech talks. In one of them they mention Carb icing on old school TT setups with Carbs? What is this and how does it work?
What they are probably talking about is the carb bowls frosting up. Older Race Aero carb bowls were plumbed with inlets/outlets where some ran engine oil lines to them. Thinking was to either heat the mixtures before entering the TC's or use it as a sort of remote oil cooler. Either way it's not needed; engines love cooled fuel & by the time it hits the warmed TC inlet turbine, things disperse pretty quickly. As for the oil cooling thought, have another beer. Hope it helps...

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Here is how mine is setup with oil going through. They still get cold and frost up.
IMG_9538.JPG

oldschool

Reaction score
What they are probably talking about is the carb bowls frosting up. Older Race Aero carb bowls were plumbed with inlets/outlets where some ran engine oil lines to them. Thinking was to either heat the mixtures before entering the TC's or use it as a sort of remote oil cooler. Either way it's not needed; engines love cooled fuel & by the time it hits the warmed TC inlet turbine, things disperse pretty quickly. As for the oil cooling thought, have another beer. Hope it helps...
So would I be better off eliminating this? I have an old Race Aero set up like this.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I’ve seen that on blower set ups too. I always wondered what caused that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
So would I be better off eliminating this? I have an old Race Aero set up like this.

Heating the carb box was done to try and give a better cold idle quality. I didn't run mine that way for ski racing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Icing on the manifolds are a good thing. My Vw does that especially in the winter months.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's a side effect from pushing fuel through tiny holes, the same principle that applies to A/C. They used to use exhaust to heat VW's intakes so they would not ice up, but everyone deletes them, so they do. :D

As long as it does not hamper fuel flow IMO it's not bad, since cooling mixture is the primary way to make more HP.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It's a side effect from pushing fuel through tiny holes, the same principle that applies to A/C. They used to use exhaust to heat VW's intakes so they would not ice up, but everyone deletes them, so they do. :D

As long as it does not hamper fuel flow IMO it's not bad, since cooling mixture is the primary way to make more HP.

Like I said. I’ve always wondered why it happens. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk