WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

auto tech over the last 11 years....

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
IMG_5157 (5).jpg
Is really amazing.

With running a shop and juggling multiple companies - I really need a 2 trucks in my household.
A 1/2 ton "big truck" and a mid sized/ small truck.

I know a 3/4 or bigger is big for many of you guys but I simply dont have anything that requires that and when I do Ill have one - in the meantime my half tons 9500 pounds does just fine.

I picked up this 17 Honda Ridgeline a few weeks ago as a sub for the aging lexus- I just need a bit more towing and carrying capacity, another full size truck is too much a mid size truck was just about perfect for me. Not really a Honda car guy, but the vehicle fits my needs perfectly - more so than its other mid sized rivals.

My 04 lexus 400H hybrid was 62K (MSRP) and is a great SUV fast, quiet, economical - and has been incredibly reliable like an appliance.

This 42K(MSRP) Honda little truck is quieter, as fast or faster, gets as good in town, and even better mileage at 80 MPH, It has self driving technology that keeps you in your lane , it has a bigger tank and hence longer legs, an incredible sound and entertainment system and can tow 5K.

I took the honda on a 1K mile road trip to grass valley and Ive never had a more comfortable easier drive in any vehicle regardless of price. With the lane keeping and auto braking and distance following you can chew up freeway miles with so little effort its astonishing.

Never thought Id find myself saying the words - "I prefer to take the honda over the lexus".

UD

View attachment 607959

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I was watching the starting line of the baja 1000 a few weeks ago. I was shocked at how many ridgeline hondas were competing. I know they are not completely stock in the race, but the class was not trophy truck so they were close to stock.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It is pretty amazing how far things have come. My buddy Tim has always says “Trucks aren’t what they used to be.. They are ten times better then they ever were!” And he’s right. Close the door on a new truck vs something out of the 70’s.. the new ones close and are quiet. The old ones slam and are noisy.. Driving a new half ton they ride as nice as the old cadillacs and will pull 10K.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My new 2500 compared to the 06 is night and day.

The price tag is much higher on all vehicles. $42K for a honda is crazy. Although sticker price on my 2500 was 42750 for a gas truck. The diesel I liked was $68500 I paid $47k for same truck in 06.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
It is pretty amazing how far things have come. My buddy Tim has always says “Trucks aren’t what they used to be.. They are ten times better then they ever were!” And he’s right. Close the door on a new truck vs something out of the 70’s.. the new ones close and are quiet. The old ones slam and are noisy.. Driving a new half ton they ride as nice as the old cadillacs and will pull 10K.

There's a romance with an old truck though. They have moods. Every squeak, rattle and bump is the truck talking to you. The constant steering adjustments is like dancing with a beautiful woman. All the new stuff is so sterile. There's no personality no character. You don't give a new truck off the lot a name.

Taboma

Reaction score
Is really amazing.

With running a shop and juggling multiple companies - I really need a 2 trucks in my household.
A 1/2 ton "big truck" and a mid sized/ small truck.

I know a 3/4 or bigger is big for many of you guys but I simply dont have anything that requires that and when I do Ill have one - in the meantime my half tons 9500 pounds does just fine.

I picked up this 17 Honda Ridgeline a few weeks ago as a sub for the aging lexus- I just need a bit more towing and carrying capacity, another full size truck is too much a mid size truck was just about perfect for me. Not really a Honda car guy, but the vehicle fits my needs perfectly - more so than its other mid sized rivals.

My 04 lexus 400H hybrid was 62K (MSRP) and is a great SUV fast, quiet, economical - and has been incredibly reliable like and appliance.

This 42K(MSRP) Honda little truck is quieter, as fast or faster, gets as good in town, and even better mileage at 80 MPH, It has self driving technology that keeps you in your lane , it has a bigger tank and hence longer legs, an incredible sound and entertainment system and can tow 5K.

I took the honda on a 1K mile road trip to grass valley and Ive never had a more comfortable easier drive in any vehicle regardless of price. With the lane keeping and auto braking and distance following you can chew up freeway miles with so little effort its astonishing.

Never thought Id find myself saying the words - "I prefer to take the honda over the lexus".

UD

View attachment 607959

Had a Honda Prelude years ago, my only Honda ownership experience other than several motorcycles, no mechanical problems, the bikes were bullet proof. But whenever we've considered them since (For my wife), the road / tire noise has been nasty. Did they ever get this remedied ?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There's a romance with an old truck though. They have moods. Every squeak, rattle and bump is the truck talking to you. The constant steering adjustments is like dancing with a beautiful woman. All the new stuff is so sterile. There's no personality no character. You don't give a new truck off the lot a name.

They really are like driving a car any more.

I have a friend with an F350 diesel, and that thing is quiet and full of usable power! Full touch screen dash and all leather.

I told him...

This ain't a truck, it's a Lexus with a bed! LoL

My 7.3 is like driving a tank. :p

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Had a Honda Prelude years ago, my only Honda ownership experience other than several motorcycles, no mechanical problems, the bikes were bullet proof. But whenever we've considered them since (For my wife), the road / tire noise has been nasty. Did they ever get this remedied ?

This thing is quieter than my Lexus that has double pane glass, triple door seals and is known to be very very quiet.

Sitting in an closing the door is like putting your head underwater.

Only ever had honda bikes - loved em all.

Only the big giant "H"'s everywhere let you know its theoretically a low end vehicle.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Holy shit this thread is gay! - coming from a prius owner

Haha - I knew that was coming from someone at some point. RDP never disappoints in that regard.
We all go back to 8th grade at some point where everything is "gay".

Heres my fleet in total.

Lexus 400H
Nissan Titan
Honda Ridgeline
Sprinter 3500 dually high roof
Sprinter 3500 dually high roof extended
20.8 tunnel with 725 HP big block
27.5 V with 700HP V10
Turbo RZR with suspension kit and 240HP
Raptor 700
Kawi 450
Yamaha 250
36 ft diesel pusher RV

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
They really are like driving a car any more.

I have a friend with an F350 diesel, and that thing is quiet and full of usable power! Full touch screen dash and all leather.

I told him...

This ain't a truck, it's a Lexus with a bed! LoL

My 7.3 is like driving a tank. :p

have 2 buddies with new F350's and they are pretty awesome,
- but tiny gas tanks, and they still dont ride as well as the chevies.

UD

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
This may be an up or a down for some but you realize you are just driving a Honda odyssey minivan with slightly different metal on part of it?

So Uncle Dave is a minivan man........

That kind of brings you into a different light. :rolleyes:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Those Ridgelines are really good. Looked at them briefly before getting a new 4Runner.

Oh, you are a careless asshole that is putting everyone on the road at risk by towing and loading your trucks close to, yet still within their weight limits. Forshame!

;)

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Those Ridgelines are really good. Looked at them briefly before getting a new 4Runner.

Oh, you are a careless asshole that is putting everyone on the road at risk by towing and loading your trucks close to, yet still within their weight limits. Forshame!

;)

One of my sales guy and myself bought Ridgeline and another guy bought the new Tacoma. In a mostly offroad deal the tacoma is a better choice in an 80/20 onroad scenario the Ridgeline was a better choice - We raced last week and the Ridgeline will run away from that tacoma like its chained down.

Lots of guy need a 3/4 ton diesel to get their coleman pop up from campground to campground.

Yeah Im usually loaded around 80-85% of each max capacity. Never had a problem I drive conservatively though.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
This may be an up or a down for some but you realize you are just driving a Honda odyssey minivan with slightly different metal on part of it?

Horrifying thought for sure.....

The comparison I hear the journalists make is to the Pilot - vs the odyssey, but for certain there is some shared DNA there!

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
One of my sales guy and myself bought Ridgeline and another guy bought the new Tacoma. In a mostly offload deal the tacoma is a better choice in an 80/20 onroad scenario the Ridgeline was a better choice - We raced last week and the Ridgeline will run away from that tacoma like its chained down.

Lots of guy need a 3/4 ton diesel to get their coleman pop up from campground to campground.

Yeah Im usually loaded around 80-85% of each max capacity. Never had a problem I drive conservatively though.

Agreed. The 4runner rides like the Tacoma, and they have not changed much in the last 15 years... and the mileage sucks for what it is. If I didn’t use it to tow, we would have a different vehicle.

The 4runner tows and launches my race car and boat like a boss though, and that is close to its 5000 lb limit. I know this is sort of unfounded, but I feel slightly better in a RWD body on frame vehicle for what a personally do and use it for, even though that comes at the expense of features and comfort.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Horrifying thought for sure.....

The comparison I hear the journalists make is to the Pilot - vs the odyssey, but for certain there is some shared DNA there!

UD

Does your Ridgeline have the cooler compartment in the bed?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Does your Ridgeline have the cooler compartment in the bed?

Yeah - pretty sure they all come with that and the dual opening tailgate.
Its also got the hidden bed "speakers" and a little inverter for small AC devices.

I got the 2nd down from the top of the line (RTL-E) top of the line is called the "black edition."
Since I live in a desert I drive white vehicles. The only difference is the color scheme and running boards.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah - pretty sure they all come with that and the dual opening tailgate.
Its also got the hidden bed "speakers" and a little inverter for small AC devices.

I got the 2nd down from the top of the line (RTL-E) top of the line is called the "black edition."
Since I live in a desert I drive white vehicles. The only difference is the color scheme and running boards.

UD

Yea the Black Edition does look nice with the black trim. I’m
Not a black car guy though.

I forgot about the dual tailgate!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Yea the Black Edition does look nice with the black trim. I’m
Not a black car guy though.

I forgot about the dual tailgate!

Yeah it looks bitchin but black cars are just too dam hot, hard to keep clean and the paint jobs haze free -
I keep stuff long time and in 10 years black vehicle look like hell.

The dual tailgate and locking bed trunk are really nice features.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah it looks bitchin but black cars are just too dam hot, hard to keep clean and the paint jobs haze free -
I keep stuff long time and in 10 years black vehicle look like hell.

The dual tailgate and locking bed trunk are really nice features.

UD

Looking forward to hearing more about how it does. It is a Honda, so it is likely bulletproof. Honda’s within the last 10 years have just become appliance like... how Toyota’s and Lexiuts have been for 20 years. It is not a bad thing, that is just what most people want.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Only bummer so far is that its a goddam timing BELT car.
All my Japanese stuff has been pretty much appliance like.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Honda wants it done at 60K in severe service - which I will be in based on temperatures alone.

Im bummed about this but can't deny the silky smoothness of the engine. Its electric like in its smoothness.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Based on my butt memory I felt compelled to look up the performance envelop of my 1993 ford lightning pickup. The two feel about the same speed to my memory

The baddest truck around in 93 - it would stomp and out handle the 454 chevy 2 door truck if the day.

It made 240 HP and 340 Ft lb though a 4 speed Vs. an all alloy 280 /265 and a 6 speed

2 dr short bed vs 4 dr shortbed

Sure enough my butt is pretty good at determining and remembering speed (after lifetime of doing it)

The 2 "trucks" perform within a 10nth or so of one another in terms of speed at every point in the quarter mile.

With the handling and braking going to the ridgeline. stopping 10-15ft feet shorter from 60. (makes me wonder about 8500 vs 5K tow ratings )

Fuel economy, comfort, safety features, automation, entertainment and utility of 4 vs 2 doors the 2 rigs is simply a non comparison.

Its a pretty amazing vehicle for what it cost and what you get.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Based on my butt memory I felt compelled to look up the performance envelop of my 1993 ford lightning pickup. The two feel about the same speed to my memory

The baddest truck around in 93 - it would stomp and out handle the 454 chevy 2 door truck if the day.

It made 240 HP and 340 Ft lb though a 4 speed Vs. an all alloy 280 /265 and a 6 speed

2 dr short bed vs 4 dr shortbed

Sure enough my butt is pretty good at determining and remembering speed (after lifetime of doing it)

The 2 "trucks" perform within a 10nth or so of one another in terms of speed at every point in the quarter mile.

With the handling and braking going to the ridgeline. stopping 10-15ft feet shorter from 60. (makes me wonder about 8500 vs 5K tow ratings )

Fuel economy, comfort, safety features, automation, entertainment and utility of 4 vs 2 doors the 2 rigs is simply a non comparison.

Its a pretty amazing vehicle for what it cost and what you get.

UD

We have come a long way when a tall car with an integrated bed can do what the baddest truck on the street could do 25 years ago :)

I know the 01-04 Lightnings were only rated to tow 5000 lbs.. I don’t know about the first gen Lightnings. Ridgeline is about 5000 too, correct,

My friend has an 04 Lightning in the garage with like 3000 miles on it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Whats hard to describe is how much better it actually does well - everything.

I've seen 5 and Ive seen 8K on the lightning- but I can't really imagine how the lightning would do with 8500 - no way.

2nd gen says 5K.
1st gen ridgeline said 5K for a box trailer and 7500 for a boat.

2nd gen is better everywhere and its 5K is j2807 rated (pretty sure thats the #) on weight so you know it will actually do it because davis dam is the test and Ive done davis a hundred times and its fucking brutal.

Most I ever towed with it was a 26 ft lavey race boat (the very first one ever "breathless") that weighed close to 5 with trailer.

Complete favor for a guy that then fucked my girlfriend a few weeks after that - but I got him back.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Whats hard to describe is how much better it actually does well - everything.

I've seen 5 and Ive seen 8K on the lightning- but I can't really imagine how the lightning would do with 8500 - no way.

2nd gen says 5K.
1st gen ridgeline said 5K for a box trailer and 7500 for a boat.

2nd gen is better everywhere and its 5K is j2807 rated (pretty sure thats the #) on weight so you know it will actually do it because davis dam is the test and Ive done davis a hundred times and its fucking brutal.

Most I ever towed with it was a 26 ft lavey race boat (the very first one ever "breathless") that weighed close to 5 with trailer.

Complete favor for a guy that then fucked my girlfriend a few weeks after that - but I got him back.

UD

We need Rivermobster in here to explain how the brakes and ABS aren’t actually better :p

I do t think I’d tow 8k with a 1st gen Lightning.. it could probably do it but I’d be most worried about the brakes. Those small brakes couldn’t stop the truck more than once unloaded :)

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I like to cruise around 10 over for long solo trips.

Thats enough to make some time but slow enough to allow me to make calls between cabin noise and reaction time to try to do some work via the phone.

At 5 freeway cruising speed sits just above 2K like 2100 at 77-78 Mph- less than 1/3 its available rpm band.

You can see the lane keeping assist function activated in both green light and the auto silhouette with full vs outlined indicator bars denoting if the the car can see the road and steer itself you can basically rest your hand on the wheel with 1/4 pound of 2 finger pressure for hundreds of miles while fully multitasking.

I bounced back and forth between Apple maps from my phone through car play and the built in garmin as well as waze for cop detection but honestly at 8-9 over I just drive past them.

I dont put a radar detector out unless I plan on exceeding + 12 over the whole time, but its ridiculously easy to go fast for a long time in this thing.

UD
53443620374__5C3F3AA7-8890-43BE-A71B-343E7943C1FF.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Oh yeah - Never had a car with heated steering wheel. Actually pretty nice on mornings like this..

UD

IMG_5112.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
We need Rivermobster in here to explain how the brakes and ABS aren’t actually better :p

I do t think I’d tow 8k with a 1st gen Lightning.. it could probably do it but I’d be most worried about the brakes. Those small brakes couldn’t stop the truck more than once unloaded :)

HAhah I need to have some beers with rivermobster.

The brakes were not up to the task of slowing my 3500 pound boat/ trailer from speed I know I towed from la to etc river for a decade using it - they were ok but not great - a steel line kit helped.

Ill be towing the sebring with this rig.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I got an upper mid level CRV awd dropped off via tru car for the wife 4 months ago and I have to agree on the new Honda platform . She's a car wrecker , so it was bought as a commuter and grocery getter but you can just tell it's a winner. So many features , drives tight, turbo, incognito and we've been taking it everywhere .

The new crv is a bitchin small suv.
I dont know much about their new turbo mills.

I think the ridgeline is built on the slightly larger pilot platform ?

Parent have a few years older CRV (like a 14 ) they tow everywhere with their RV.
They love the thing and have high standards.

All the Japanese stuff is just incredibly good now the gap between the "high end" and mainstream auto marques has thinned dramatically.

UD

rrrr

Reaction score

I was gonna point this out. I don't think the Ridgelines running Baja have any commonality with the stock Ridgeline. Kinda obvious, isn't it?

cnj

Reaction score
I am on my second Ridgeline. Bought my first one new in October 2005. When I sold it, I played around with a few other vehicles for about a year (Nissan Titan, Dodge Charger R/T, Honda Crosstour), but at the end of the day, I missed my Ridgeline. The wife and I always talked about how the Ridgeline wasn't exemplary in any way, but also how it did everything we asked of it pretty well. By the time I decided to get another Ridgeline, the new body style was out, but I didn't care for the looks (although they are more advanced mechanically), so I sought out a very low mileage 2013. I'll have this one for many years as well. If you go to ROC (Ridgeline Owners Club) online, you'll see many members have 200K+ and 300K+ miles, with a couple at 400K+ miles on them. Great vehicles.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

I was gonna point this out. I don't think the Ridgelines running Baja have any commonality with the stock Ridgeline. Kinda obvious, isn't it?

The only similarity is the name.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I am on my second Ridgeline. Bought my first one new in October 2005. When I sold it, I played around with a few other vehicles for about a year (Nissan Titan, Dodge Charger R/T, Honda Crosstour), but at the end of the day, I missed my Ridgeline. The wife and I always talked about how the Ridgeline wasn't exemplary in any way, but also how it did everything we asked of it pretty well. By the time I decided to get another Ridgeline, the new body style was out, but I didn't care for the looks (although they are more advanced mechanically), so I sought out a very low mileage 2013. I'll have this one for many years as well. If you go to ROC (Ridgeline Owners Club) online, you'll see many members have 200K+ and 300K+ miles, with a couple at 400K+ miles on them. Great vehicles.

Spent some time there.
Learned in terms of an "America truck" the Ridgeline is basically tied with the F150 for American content and assembly.
Good tips and tricks and info.

Haven't looked at mileage stuff yet, but honda running gear is "usually" pretty stout when properly maintained.

No reason you can't get 2-250K out of this thing if you maintain it.

That said my 04 titan is around 85K, my 06 lexus about 112K.

UD

Enen

Reaction score
When the Prius guys are calling you gay, it's time to step back and reevaluate life.... :D

Just playing UD. It really is amazing at how far auto technology has progressed over the last decade. Congrats on the new whip.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I practically begged for a beating buying a little japanese truck. Even if Im using it mostly as a car and its a second truck..

Just got 27.5 MPG on my standard 120 mile Saturday loop between 70 & 75.

Road and track got a 6.6 0-60 with traction control turned off - thats pretty snappy.

They got 28MPG at 75 MPH but I think they are in a flat area in arizona (half a MPG better than my last loop which has hills)

UD

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I would get the Honda. Just needed a bit bigger and couldn't talk the bean counters, etc. out of getting an F-150 again. Its a company car that I can buy out at the end of the financing, as an option.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The gen 1's are uglier than my 6th grade girlfriend.

useable - but uuuugly.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I would get the Honda. Just needed a bit bigger and couldn't talk the bean counters, etc. out of getting an F-150 again. Its a company car that I can buy out at the end of the financing, as an option.

The GVWR on the RTLE- is 6018 LB.
Enough for 147 (6?) deduction.

Love the new f150's.
Love the new silverados, and Ill soon buy a new " big truck".

UD

nameisbond

Reaction score
I sometimes have to drive long distances. We do a few trade shows. So Seattle and then up too Spokane. The Honda would be excellent for these trips. The easiest way here in Canada too get a gun license that let me buy my 1911 wall display. Is joining the police reserve program. So I know for a fact in most areas here they let 10 over before ticketing. So I to drive at that as my "limit" with a radar detector if I exceed that.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
?

ahh got it "fake truck" - hahaha ... nice.

my analysis is - 1 fake truck and one real truck is still better than a car and a truck any size, or an SUV and a truck.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I sometimes have to drive long distances. We do a few trade shows. So Seattle and then up too Spokane. The Honda would be excellent for these trips. The easiest way here in Canada too get a gun license that let me buy my 1911 wall display. Is joining the police reserve program. So I know for a fact in most areas here they let 10 over before ticketing. So I to drive at that as my "limit" with a radar detector if I exceed that.

Yup at 9 over you are basically invisible 90% of the time and 80/ 90 cali /AZ is moving pretty good.

Any time you are unladen with nothing in the bed or very lightly laden the ridgeline is the obvious choice.

UD

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Nice to see Honda producing a better looking small pick-up.