WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stromberg WWC carb

redone76

Reaction score
@rvrrun
@SBMech
@rivermobster
My buddy picked up a ‘66 GMC 2500 with the 401cu V6 engine. It runs good but had some seepage from the carb gaskets. I’m going to go thru it for him and I noticed on the back of the carb there is 2 holes in the throttle blade plate that goes into the venturi’s. So it’s taking in unfiltered air? Is this normal for these carbs? Should I block them off somehow? It’s the stock carb for this truck. If anyone else has experience with these carbs please chime in! Thanks for letting me pick your brains!
IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You sure they pull vacuum? Usually there is a BB in that passage if I remember right. Or it's blocked by the gasket?

Let me consult my ancient text....;)

rvrrun

Reaction score
That was an old dealer trick to improve hot starting. It won't hurt to plug them and get it running smoother if you don't have the hot starting problem (which you might with ethanol).

redone76

Reaction score
You sure they pull vacuum? Usually there is a BB in that passage if I remember right. Or it's blocked by the gasket?

Let me consult my ancient text....;)

No bb’s and they open straight into the venturi bore
IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

redone76

Reaction score
That was an old dealer trick to improve hot starting. It won't hurt to plug them and get it running smoother if you don't have the hot starting problem (which you might with ethanol).

Okay that makes sense. How would you plug them? Drill and tap for a plug or JB Weld?

rvrrun

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. How would you plug them? Drill and tap for a plug or JB Weld?

Either you are comfortable with. Tapping for a couple button head allens would look good and be easy to remove if you have the hot start problem.

redone76

Reaction score
Either you are comfortable with. Tapping for a couple button head allens would look good and be easy to remove if you have the hot start problem.

Exactly what I was thinking.

redone76

Reaction score
Just screw in a small sheet metal screw with a little silicone

That’s the plan. See what I can dig up in my drawer of random bolts and screws. I was curious what the holes were intended for. As usual RDP didn’t let me down!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Just screw in a small sheet metal screw with a little silicone

no silicone....or RTV...which is what you really meant. Gasoline dissolves RTV sealant.

Go get some JB weld putty...the round log where you slice a piece off and knead it up...pack it in the holes, clean the excess off the inside and leave some extra material on the outside to keep the motor from ingesting it.

redone76

Reaction score
you sure its a 401 most were 305? 401 in really big trucks

I think you’re right. After doing all the research on the carb today I kept coming back to the 305. Makes sense as it’s all stock. My buddy just relayed what the previous owner told him.

redone76

Reaction score
you sure its a 401 most were 305? 401 in really big trucks

Could be a 351 too??? I need to find the engine numbers and figure it out

ibelio

Reaction score
should be stamped right side front of cyl hear [like chevy] ps have a real 401 core if needed

redone76

Reaction score
should be stamped right side front of cyl hear [like chevy] ps have a real 401 core if needed

Cool I’ll take a look! Thanks and I’ll ask him if he wants a 401!