WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hydraulic roller

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
What brand lifter and why?
That's sort of like asking if you like Ford or Chevy, you will get different answers from different people. Too early in the morning for me to write out all my thoughts, will try and remember to come back to this after the races. For a marine engine you would likely want to use better quality than ones that are labeled "street", as you will see brands offering different models.

Powermizer

Reaction score
Johnson or Morel. I hear Isky makes a nice one. I have used Morel or Johnson depending on the way the engine is built. Morel's have been sensitive to oil viscosity on my builds. There is more to all of this but that is it in a nutshell. I am sure obnoxious can get more in depth on this. Do some research. There is a lot more to this, roller size, axle oiling.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
All of my race engines by three different builders used Isky lifter's and valve springs.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
That's sort of like asking if you like Ford or Chevy, you will get different answers from different people. Too early in the morning for me to write out all my thoughts, will try and remember to come back to this after the races. For a marine engine you would likely want to use better quality than ones that are labeled "street", as you will see brands offering different models.

I put Rhodes lifters into my boat when I put in a Crane 132561 camshaft. The reason for that was I did not want to lose the through-the-hub exhaust with a lumpier cam. The bleed-down Rhodes lifters reduce the possibility of water reversion and pump up and I get full cam lift when I hit the throttle.

Last edited:

Powermizer

Reaction score
Sorry, this may not be what you want to hear.

Because they work, I have tried others and have had them fail sooner than they should have.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I know TCM prefers Johnson short travel and those are what are in my 1250's. Are stable at 15 lbs of boost and 6600 PRM.