WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Heidi & Frank, mark & Brian, Kevin & Bean...thoughts?

Tank

Reaction score
So, over the years I haven't listened to morning radio routinely. Though, I have in fact listened from time to time. I listened a little to mark and Brian and a bit of Kevin and bean. I'd have to say Kevin and bean have always been my favorite but the reception for KROQ is spotty in Ventura County.

So, I've been working in the mornings routinely for the past few months and my drive is about 20 minutes into work. I guess I'm getting old because I started listening to 1070 am while sipping my coffee during my commute. But during commercials (I hate commercials), I switch over to KLOS. So I quickly noted the new morning show. I do recall the hoopla about mark as Brian retiring so it wasn't so much a shock.

So, listening to Heidi and Frank for the past few months I have some constructive criticism & observations. And again, this isn't coming from a place of "mark and Brian can never be replaced" as I really never listened to them much. But there's definitely a few things missing from the new morning show.

First off, they're not that funny. I've never found myself rollin about something they've said. Second, franks kindve a dick. Hes smug and He talks over Heidi, and most annoyingly he talks over the callers. And the stuff he says is again in a dickish manner. Heidi's kindve non existent filler for franks blabber and her laugh is like nails on the chalk board. They are both rude to callers actually. It drives me crazy when, with out failure, a caller will cheerfully say, "good morning guys" or "hi guys" or "how's it going guys" etc and the response from both is always, short, "yea what do you want" kindve attitude. One thing about Kevin and bean and mark and Brian is they are always cool to their fans.

Another thing is that guy that works on their staff that talks every once in a while...forget his name...he's freakin annoying. His whiney nasally voice and long drawn out stories are boring and reek of desperation that he wants to be heard soooo bad.

Anyway, that's my synopsis for now. I guess I'll continue to jump back and listen since it's better than commercials on 1070 or static on KROQ. But man I wish KROQ would boost their signal. I've been saying that since I was in junior high!

Anyone listening to these guys?

RodnJen

Reaction score
I was an M&B fan, my wife Kevin & Bean. That being said I agree with your observations about Frank. One thing he says that bothered me is when people call he refers the them as "his callers" or "his phones", totally discounting his partner. I don't give two sh-ts about either of them, nor do I listen to them, just and overservation.

I usually listen to Bill Handel on the morning coummute in.

riverroyal

Reaction score
absolutely un-listenable.....Ive tried, it is horrible. My guess is 6 more months they are gone. FM radio is over, I think. Sirius is average at best now. Pandora is all I listen to through my cell. The quality is final there.

Just wait until the end of the year when Apple launches ITunes radio, that will be the game changer

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Howard Stern, or Jason Ellis. Can't listen to regular radio anymore, to many commercials.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I agree exactly with your thoughts on Heidi and Frank, you hit the nail on the head. Another observation I find is that the side kick who sometimes speaks is what seems to me trying to sound like Heidi. At times I can get them confused if just turning it on. I too am getting old and starting to turn over to am talk more and more cause there seems to be nothing on fm to hold my attention.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
I seriously can't stand talk radio anymore, their views area all over the place and their opinions just annoy me.

copterzach

Reaction score
Opie and Anthony. XM103

Aggie class of '97. WHOOP

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What's a radio? I didn't know they still made those? :p

First thing I do when I get in the car is hook the Bluetooth up to my phone. All music, no commercials. problem solved.
:)

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I listen to Kevin & Bean every morning on my way to work. Kevin, Bean, Ralph, Lisa, Beer Mug and all the other contributers are hilarious on that show. When they do the skits where they call Michael Jackson, Kim Jung Il, Arnold Schwarzenegger etc.... and Ralph does their voices, I am LMAO on my way to work. They have that show nailed down. :thumbup:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Bubba the love sponge, Adam Corolla. Stream from your computer or through your phone. Uncensored and wayyyyy better with way less commercials.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Howard for me.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I listened to Mark and Brian religiously, especially during my two hour commutes to and from work, and I was super bummed when they retired...felt like I lost some family members, which is weird because I'm not really that sentimental.

Frank and Heidi are a weak replacement that seem to miss the mark of the KLOS demographic. I can't stand them and no longer listen to any talk radio.

As previously stated, KROQ is spotty in the 805.

If I'm in the truck in the morning, it's either Jack, the Sound, or Pandora...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
When 97.1 changed formats and Heidi and Frank lost their jobs (along with Frosty, not sure what happened to the third triplet), they had a top-rated podcast with a huge fan base. So KLOS paid them decent money to bring their listeners in to fill the Mark and Brian gap.

It sounds like Frank let it go to his head.

The only morning radio I listen to is ESPN - The Herd and/or SVP.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
I've tried to listen to Frank And Heidi :thumbsdown. But after a while I get tired of hearing nothing but how he likes to smoke pot and her lesbian encounters. They're a one trick pony. Maybe I'm not their demographic :rolleyes. I do catch Mark Thompson (M&B) on Podcasts though.

lebel409

Reaction score
I listened to M&B...least worst morning show. However KLOS has never been my fave, KMET and later KLSX until it went talk... So KLOS has too much Stones, too many of the same tunes, in the same order...easy to take it off the tuner after M&B left.

So now I listen to the sound, 100.3. Uncle Frank, Rita Wild, better mix, album sides. Not as hippy as KMET, but as close as I can find.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
M & B were ok every now and then. Don't really like the other two at all... but Heidi and Frank are by far the worst.

XM...commercail problem solved.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
I was a Kevin & Bean fan and Mark & Brian. Mark still does "radio" but does it as pod casts. He was a guest on Tim Conway Jr. the other night....still funny as hell. I guess him and Brian haven't talked since they left the show.

My Favorite in the morning now is Bill Handle. That guy pretty much insults the entire human race....he is just ok, but the rest of his staff is what makes it all work.

But my all time favorite radio show is Tim Conway Jr. Especially on Thursday night with "What the Hell did Jesse Jackson say?" It is a Thursday night tradition for me and my sons to listen. Ding Dong!!!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife listened to M&B from day one.
Says she can't stand Heidi and Frank.

Jim Carson at KRTH told me M&B's ratings had tanked and KLOS had to do something different to maintain advertising revenue.
M&B at the end were nothing like in their heyday.
They were just walking through the show.

No more big show Thursday,, and a lot of other things they were known for that the listeners loved were gone.
Then add changing demographics of LA, live streaming on the net, Sirrus / XM,, Howard Stearn,,, it all started adding up and their revenue is based on listenership.

Mark & Brian are both multi-millionaires BTW.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
The radio stations in phoenix blow ass. I bought a logitech squeeze box radio and stream Kroq pretty much non stop at home in our bedroom.

You can also download the radio.com app on your phone a stream Kroq if you get phone reception. I bluetooth it to my truck radio.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
The radio stations in phoenix blow ass. I bought a logitech squeeze box radio and stream Kroq pretty much non stop at home in our bedroom.

You can also download the radio.com app on your phone a stream Kroq if you get phone reception. I bluetooth it to my truck radio.

I use I Heart Radio on my phone. It is really great for the AM stations....no AM buzz. And, you might not recognize the hosts as they sound very different as the sound quality is 1000 x's better.

Tank

Reaction score
I find it weird that mark and Brian don't talk now. Wonder what's up with that.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I find it weird that mark and Brian don't talk now. Wonder what's up with that.

I had stopped listening to them after I found K&B. I caught a M&B show just before they went off the air, and it was the saddest thing I have ever heard. They were obviously two old guys, that were sick of each other, stuck in a lasting contract.

It was a far cry from when they dipped themselves in chocolate, and had the fans throw sprinkles at them. It was painful to listen to. :(

Thank god for MP3 players and streaming radio. :bowdown:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I am a news junkie so pretty much listen to KNX1070 on my way to work so I can hear the news as well as freeway closures due to construction. On my way home from work I listen to KROQ.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
Up until a few months ago, I listened to Drew & Mike out of Detroit. They lost their contract and the replacements suck. I'd been listening to them for 20 yrs.

At night, I have a couple Pandora stations I listen to while falling asleep.

Yes PHX radio sucks ass!
In the morning I like talk/news. I've tried to listen to Barry Young on KFYI, but he uses that fucking "canned applause" button every 15-30 seconds and makes me cringe.
I've been listening to Handel on KFI, but I think he's pretty arrogant. And, I'd rather find a show that takes callers to at least have discussion, instead of Handel preaching his opinion for 4 hours.
Haven't found anything yet.

teded

Reaction score
I hop around on the radio, I like sports talk. Colin Cowheard early then the new Jay Mohr show ,he replaced Jim Rome, never understood Jim Rome show

Sent from space somehow

Tank

Reaction score
I hop around on the radio, I like sports talk. Colin Cowheard early then the new Jay Mohr show ,he replaced Jim Rome, never understood Jim Rome show

Sent from space somehow

Jay mohr is freakin hilarious. Used to listen to his pod cast when he first stated it. Classic. I could care less about sports so I wouldn't listen to him there but I can say Jim Rome was a pompous ass hat.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Howard for me.

Ditto.....although Stern can be a whiny bitch some days....as he will admit....his interviews are over the top and go places where you will never see Oprah, Barbara, or any of the late night show guys go.

Always loved Quentin Tarantino's interview where they got into the Hash topic and Brad Pitt was scorned by the press the next day....People get into studio and he can make them feel they are in a safe zone which they are....until they leave and TMZ is all over their shit.

underpressure

Reaction score
Ditto.....although Stern can be a whiny bitch some days....as he will admit....his interviews are over the top and go places where you will never see Oprah, Barbara, or any of the late night show guys go.

Always loved Quentin Tarantino's interview where they got into the Hash topic and Brad Pitt was scorned by the press the next day....People get into studio and he can make them feel they are in a safe zone which they are....until they leave and TMZ is all over their shit.
^^^
Yea, he probably didn't do Dufner any favors getting him to call out Sabbatini after winning the PGA...

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
In my home office I'll listen to K&B, they at least attempt to be funny, sometimes they pull it off! In the car, Sirius, IPOD or Pandora.
Drove my daughters truck the other morning, terrestrial radio, Drove home from the tire shop, 15 minutes of commercials!!
In the office I've started listening to 98.7 in the mornings, 9-12 commercial free, and DJ chatter is at a minimum.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I used to like Jim Rome but his Showtime show and his radio program have become boring.
He's so full of himself he's failing.
I don't see how he holds anyones attention.

Tank

Reaction score
So, just heard mark from mark and Brian is coming back to morning radio on 100.3. Should be cool. Can't stand Heidi and frank and KROQ doesn't come in clear enough in Vta county. I've resolved to listen to kvta in the morning. But I'll give mark in the morning a listen.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I enjoy listening to audio books on the way to work.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Won't waste my time with Mark on The Sound. Stopped listening to Mark and Brian many years ago.

Tank

Reaction score
[ QUOTE=NiceGuyEddie;1951621]So listening to two talent-less fuck tards recap reality tv show drama and other meaningless information is the heterosexual way to start a man's day? :)[/QUOTE]

Soooooo true. Seriously can't stand Heidi and frank. She's annoying and he's an uber arrogant douche.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
[ QUOTE=NiceGuyEddie;1951621]So listening to two talent-less fuck tards recap reality tv show drama and other meaningless information is the heterosexual way to start a man's day? :)

Soooooo true. Seriously can't stand Heidi and frank. She's annoying and he's an uber arrogant douche.[/QUOTE]

I used to listen to K&B back in the day, but I lost interest in the show. It's the same talk you hear around the water cooler at work, like "OMG did you see the bachelor last night?" Who cares! lol

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I like Kevin and Bean, hilarious stuff when they're on a roll. But....seems like there is waaaaay too many commercials on KROQ mornings, and after Psycho Mike left and got replaced by Beermug I feel like the comedy is lacking a bit.

Tank

Reaction score
I haven't listened to mark and Brian in over 15 years. They were boring and started getting lame back then. Have listens to Kevin and bean off and on for as long as I've had a radio it seems. But like I said KROQ reception in Ventura county is spotty at best.

Maybe mark will get some new life breathes into him with a new co host and some new peeps coupled with some old ones from KLOS. We'll see.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone listen to Rodney Bingenheimer on Sunday nights? I really like that show. It's been on ever since I can remember. Lots of new local music:thumbup:

[video=youtube;hzBNmMmNpYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBNmMmNpYo[/video]