WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu to Topock

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
So I'm headed to havasu this weekend with the boat and some friends. Have read a bunch about Topock and the gorge and stuff on here from all you guys. I have never been up that way but I would like to try something new this time. How far is it? Is it deep enough to do in a direct drive? And what other tips would you "pros" have?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Lift your feet off the floor when you're going through the shallow spot at the narrows. :thumbup:

Nerf

Reaction score
So I'm headed to havasu this weekend with the boat and some friends. Have read a bunch about Topock and the gorge and stuff on here from all you guys. I have never been up that way but I would like to try something new this time. How far is it? Is it deep enough to do in a direct drive? And what other tips would you "pros" have?

Same here, LD. Best tip I've heard most frequently is "follow somebody who knows where they're going"... maybe we can hook up and try it together.

kiethco

Reaction score
Laughlin to Havasu is doable, Havasu to Topock is doable. The "sandbar" at the mouth of the river going north from Havasu is actually soft silt and you can fly over it without worry.
I take the pig of a daycruiser in my Avatar back and forth every summer and have the best memories ever for doing so. Come on up, the water's fine. Follow the dark water and you too will make memories to last a lifetime.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Just go right up the middle and stay right of center line all the way up. Holiday weekend.... water will be up and ur direct drive will be fine.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to the trip up. How far of a ride are we looking at?

gqchris

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to the trip up. How far of a ride are we looking at?

Im not sure distance, but how fast does your boat go? When I had my 38 mph Jet, it would take a good hour or so. In the new boat averaging 65ish its closer to 30 mins. That includes Gorge float time in the no wake.

Hammer

Reaction score
It's a good hour if memory serves, I've done it several times over the last few weeks. You'll be fine , it's really not as difficult as people portray it to be. There should be plenty of boats to follow as well if you are unsure...

I would recommend entering the mouth of the river on the left side where the 5 mph buoys are if it is your first time.

McRib

Reaction score
Its about 35 miles from windsor to the pirate and about 23 to the springs

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
that part of the river is 17 miles from the lake to the i40 bridge

Chopperman

Reaction score
Ya, it's pretty easy. You shouldn't have much trouble

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

The only spot is entering the river. Goto the ca side and go through the no wake zone. Other then that stay in the middle and you can see the few shallow spots but they are mostly to the sides.. No worries in a direct drive.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Probably head up sometime Saturday morning. We cruise a little over 30 so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm assuming there is gas up that way somewhere?

Patyacht

Reaction score
The Blue Route is the Go Slow Zone marked by buoys.

River Entrance Routes 1-2-3-4.jpg

Hallett270act

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Probably head up sometime Saturday morning. We cruise a little over 30 so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm assuming there is gas up that way somewhere?

There is a gas dock at Topock and Moabi - Pirates Cove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patyacht

Reaction score
Of course after the rains yesterday, it's going to be difficult finding the deeper dark blue water to run up river.
IMG_2887.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Just head towards the grassy island on the CA side approaching the mouth of the river (but stay on the AZ). This way you can stay on plane and not hit the no wake channel. Look at PY's map he posted. Pay no mind to the other boats weaving, posturing, coming off of plane etc etc. On your way home everyone exits the mouth and heads back directly towards Windsor or whatever ramp direct. It is hilarious (the couple beers must have relaxed them). :D

Have fun - enjoy!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Pat, which line do u normally take if you're in the F29? I'm just noticing how the green lines split apart, and wasn't sure if you prefer a certain line going in and out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In between the green and yellow and do not lift. Pontoon, Ski, Elim, canoe or floating on a piece of plywood. :D

McRib

Reaction score
In between the green and yellow and do not lift. Pontoon, Ski, Elim, canoe or floating on a piece of plywood. :D

This!! Except I thread the needle between the green and red where they pinch together.

McRib

Reaction score
Its 3 to 4 ft deep down the middle and the average performance boat on plane only draws a ft and a half to 2 ft of water. Cats even less.

Patyacht

Reaction score
There is another route to the east/right of the red route that I've seen some take but I haven't used it so I did not post it. Also I've seen lots of folks stuck between the green and the yellow. If you look closely there is a sand bar. As far as which route do I use - I use them all. Kind of depends on water level, which way I'm running and how I can read the water. Last time back I ran the red route running with another F-29. He was running 110 with his Bimini up. What an idiot.