Patyacht

Reaction score
A picture

Attachments

• 1237119_10200480435959699_44837542_n.jpg
    1237119_10200480435959699_44837542_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 446
Reaction score
Someone drove over the transom, it appears, or did the port motor grenade? Hope everyone is ok, and it's all damage to the boat.

Patyacht

Reaction score
Some say rolled some say stuffed. Got this from another site:

Serious Crash During Poker Run on Lake Cumberland; Initial Reports of Two Victims Being Airlifted

Posted by Laker Country in Lake Cumberland's Best Country on September 7, 2013 | no responses
WJRS NEWS has confirmed a single boat crash occured near Ramsey Creek around 10:35 a.m. during one of the first flights of Poker Run on Lake Cumberland. Initial reports from emergency personnel of two persons being airlifted by emergency helicopter services. WJRS NEWS will continue to follow this developing story and we will have more details during our 4:05 p.m. edition of WJRS NEWS on-the-air at 104.9 fm and on-line at lakercountry.com?.

Prayers out to everyone...

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Hopefully they survive.

Blubyu

Reaction score
Wow... RIP prayers to the family's, read over on OSO stuffed the boat at 160 :(

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I wonder if they were pitched out or something similar to the Fountain deal where they got thrown throughout the interior.

If reports are true, zero good can happen stuffing it at 160.

I hope everyone is ok. :(

Her454

Reaction score
Prayers...... Talking to a lady on the Delta at Tower Park that runs the place and she said that no more Poker Runs on alot of the marinas on the Delta before too long. Insurance is higher for Marina's that participate apparently.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Shit... Just read on OSO that both are deceased :(

I really hope this isn't true. Very very sad.

Ultra28

Reaction score
Brad's brother Brian just confirmed that Brad and Jeff did pass away.

tkrrox

Reaction score
not to divert from this terrible tragedy, but how hard would it be to have air bags on these high end boats...seems like with the crashes of late it would definitely help with the impact to the wind screen/dash.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Damn that sucks, God Speed!!

RVRKID

Reaction score
Here is another pic, pretty crazy how the boat looks like it held up so good:
Fatal-Boat-Wreck-090713.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Sad story, "crossed a wake and went airborne" wow. Thoughts and prayers. Sad day on the water

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
RIP to our brothers lost.
So, who's responsible for the wake is the question that first comes to mind?

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score

Are you trying to say that the wake caused this? Not trying to be a dick , serious question.

Anyways, my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
RIP - It's always sad to read about accidents like these.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
From a friend. His pic from there on Fri.......
He said it was going great.....

76306d1377308844-loto-friday-pix-image.jpg

Motor Boater

Reaction score

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Are you trying to say that the wake caused this? Not trying to be a dick , serious question.

Anyways, my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends.

I'm not trying to say that. I'm only going by what has been reported:

According to reports from the Lake Cumberland Poker Run in Kentucky, "two participants died after an accident during the 12th annual poker run. While running a 40-foot Skater Powerboats catamaran with twin 1,700-hp engines from Smith Power, driver Jeff Asbell and throttleman Brad Smith reportedly crossed a wake at a high rate of speed, went airborne and stuffed a sponson after first landing on the boat's transom."

One of the first things that comes to my mind is roll bar boat wake. And according to Coast Guard law, the person who makes the wake is responsible for the wake's damage.

Last edited:

IN AWE

Reaction score
One of the first things that comes to my mind is roll bar boat wake. And according to Coast Guard law, the person who makes the wake is responsible for the wake's damage.

I see it differently, even as much as I hate wake board boats and love fast boats. I see the cause of this accident the "160 mph" and not the wake or roller or any other lake condition that might pop up. Especially, if this poker run was held on anything but a fully closed coarse (not sure how it works). I'm just saying that the wake did not cause any damage, but the speed did. To prove the point, if the boat was only traveling 30 mph, the wake still wouldn't have caused any damage. Maybe not be the right time or place to discuss this.

Once again, my prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends.

Director...
Reaction score
I see it differently, even as much as I hate wake board boats and love fast boats. I see the cause of this accident the "160 mph" and not the wake or roller or any other lake condition that might pop up. Especially, if this poker run was held on anything but a fully closed coarse (not sure how it works). I'm just saying that the wake did not cause any damage, but the speed did. To prove the point, if the boat was only traveling 30 mph, the wake still wouldn't have caused any damage. Maybe not be the right time or place to discuss this.

You can't keep people off of public waters .not for a poker run. We had some very close calls in Jacksonville over the years. ..you can do your best to warn everyone that a run is going to happen but if they want to be there. They can. .RIP to the lost boaters today:(

sent from an undisclosed location

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

I'm just going by what was reported. Don't kill the messenger. I've seen enough rogue wakeboard boat waves that can do serious damage to any boat at any speed. From what I inferred, it was a wave that caused the wreck nothing else.

IN AWE

Reaction score
I'm just going by what was reported. Don't kill the messenger. I've seen enough rogue wakeboard boat waves that can do serious damage to any boat at any speed. From what I inferred, it was a wave that caused the wreck nothing else.

Not trying to kill anyone, we're cool. :thumbup: I guess as info comes in, we will find out if it was a ripple, roller, wake or wave.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
This sucks in a big way, RIP :( At least they got to go out doing something they loved..........

Sleeper CP

Reaction score
sad to read.... Godspeed.

Prayers to the families

DirtyWhiteBoy

WILL WORK FOR FUEL
Reaction score
Sad indeed-I'm glad I didn't have to watch this one happen.

RIP Boys.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Very sad deal... Thoughts are with the families affected by this tragedy. :(

There is a vid posted on OSO, it looks like the boat climbed up the wake and rooster of the lead boat.

Last edited:

Cajun

Reaction score

Wtf? Are you serious? Because during poker runs, wake board boats are the real threat.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Very sad deal... Thoughts are with the families affected by this tragedy. :(

There is a vid posted on OSO, it looks like the boat climbed up the wake and rooster of the lead boat.

:(:(:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Being involved in racing personally. Rollers are a huge problem. It could mean the difference between perfection and tragedy. Racing in uncontrolled waters can be extremely dangerous. Be smart and don't create rollers for boat traffic if the water is shared with a sanctioned event and a public waterway. Not saying this was the case here but it is never a good thing.

RIP. prayers go out to the families. Good speed.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Being involved in racing personally. Rollers are a huge problem. It could mean the difference between perfection and tragedy. Racing in uncontrolled waters can be extremely dangerous. Be smart and don't create rollers for boat traffic if the water is shared with a sanctioned event and a public waterway. Not saying this was the case here but it is never a good thing.

RIP. prayers go out to the families. Good speed.

i dont race and my boat was FAARRRR from the caliber of those involved today but i went over some rollers and dug the side of the boat into the next one and it flipped us 180* in the blink of an eye. luckily the wife was already holding on and i had a steering wheel to hold on to. it happened so fast i didnt even know wtf had happened. it can happen to anyone. stay safe out there everyone!

rip to the 2 that lost their lives, but hey i cant think of a better way to go out than haulin the mail in a boat like that.