• scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 723
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 808

finaleffort

Reaction score
Here are some pics of Mastercharge BGH28, 1990, Ming Lake , C & HYDRO Pre Capsule - Scotty Thompson, Driver
LOOK CLOSE THAT IS AN ARIAS, 1O LITER, 568cu in, 3PUSHROD CHEVY. GARY WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO PUT AN ARIAS IN A DRAG BOAT

That was back in the good ole days!!!! We helped Gary out

BigJim4J

Reaction score
The Ole "Quickdraw" Machine BGF",...That's one of my "Best Friends" Jim Ermshar to the left of Chuck, in the BGF #668 "Ivory Hunter" followed down the Rope by his Brother Don in the BGF #661 "All Nighter"....Good Times racing with those guys !!!

wash11

Reaction score
Hey Sharp Shooter - can you tell me any history on this boat? Owner, Driver, engine builder?

Is that one of Jim Pisciotta's motors?

It reminds me a lot about one of our boats that was around in the early 90's.

Thanks,
Oz

Gary Kincaid is the driver. Pretty sure he did the motor. He had Showtime Marine here in Havasu- used to do our machine work. He still builds engines- big in Off-Road racing these days.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Hey Sharpshooter,
would you happen to have any photos of Jack Cayer? Whether it's in the Benhad boat or Extremely Dangerous? This would be in the late 70's.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Does anyone recognise these boats from the nid 80's? They were my Uncle Lyn Mattox. He raced for Tom Papp, in his later boats. I have an old issue of HotBoat from back in the 80's that has him in a Tom Papp Racing add for record holder of 126.27 in 1986.
He was National champ in '85/'86
World champ in '86
and rcord holder in '86 also.
Fat chance, but it would be cool to locate the black/red/silver TPR named "Obsession"
Or even the Orange Daytona. any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the pic qualities, I took pics of the ones hanging on my wall

IMAG1169.jpg IMAG1170.jpg IMAG1171.jpg IMAG1172.jpg IMAG1173.jpg IMAG1174.jpg IMAG1176.jpg IMAG1177.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
[video=youtube;KOfdUKcI4Iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfdUKcI4Iw[/video]

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
[video=youtube;JjXnRlJx-Eo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXnRlJx-Eo[/video]

fordgasm

Reaction score
This thread is great history...........please keep it going in honor of these racers. To an outsider like me--an asphalt racer who happens to be a river rat--this is the best kind of info and pics that need to be preserved and passed along so that the memory of so many people, including drivers like Tim Capaldi will never be forgotten. If you watched this sport from the outside like me, you cant help but marvel at the brass _____ and skill he had. Thanks for all your posts.........drag boat racing, unlike many other forms of motorsports is about so much more than horsepower and hulls. It includes a whole culture, society and mindset that I suspect few people beyond our circle would understand. This is undoubtedly what makes it great and drives honorable men like Tim to hop in one of these bad boys and mash the throttle. Awesome......

Rickybobby

Reaction score
just found this, holy cow, I watched this stuff when I was a kid, even saw some races at Castaic lower lake, but never really "knew" much about the players!!!!'
thanks to those who took the time to share their history here.
rb

dave29

Reaction score
Mike Bell and I were friends. I met him when I joined a car club in the valley named "Performance Inc.". We had weekly meetings after which we would head to Bob's Big Boy in Canoga Park have a bite to eat and look for a street race. Mike was all about the color yellow. Yellow Ford van, yellow Mustang etc. What a great guy with a tremendous sense of humor. Since Vietnam and the lottery system took most of our members, the club started to fade. I later met up with Mike when we were both into Harleys.
Ultimately, I attended his funeral which was really tough. Nobody could believe he was really gone. RIP Mike.

getreal

Reaction score
These are all from 1990 and 1991

Attachments

• IHBA 1991.jpg
    IHBA 1991.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IHBA bakersfield.jpg
    IHBA bakersfield.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 444
  • 1991.jpg
    1991.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 460
  • 1991 -1.jpg
    1991 -1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Firebird 1990.jpg
    Firebird 1990.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 469
  • Castaic 1991.jpg
    Castaic 1991.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 400

rampgirlll

Reaction score
Does anyone recognise these boats from the nid 80's? They were my Uncle Lyn Mattox. He raced for Tom Papp, in his later boats. I have an old issue of HotBoat from back in the 80's that has him in a Tom Papp Racing add for record holder of 126.27 in 1986.
He was National champ in '85/'86
World champ in '86
and rcord holder in '86 also.
Fat chance, but it would be cool to locate the black/red/silver TPR named "Obsession"
Or even the Orange Daytona. any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the pic qualities, I took pics of the ones hanging on my wall

View attachment 242975

This looks a lot like a boat in Oklahoma... Ronnie and Dillon.jpg

M&JAUTOPARTS

Reaction score
It is good to see the boat is still out there, I went to many of Mikes race's, I had left my job before he had wrecked at Las Vegas, And moved back to Ohio. Sure would like to see some pictures of the old boat again, I was also tasked with picking up parts and for the boat and his alcohol dragster. I can still remember the motor coming into the shop, Picking up the magneto's from Don zigs
or having the blower rebuilt at Mooneyham"s, Funny story about that, Little did I know one day talking with my sister in Avon lake Ohio, I found out that Gene's son lived right across the street from her. Small world.. I'm not sure if we ever met but I do remember the gulf war, And I would like to thank you for your service. Some of the best times of my life were with mike and racing, And working at M&J with Kevin and the boy's..

I had went through some old pictures I had, last night, It was like the memories just started flooding back. Good times...

Very nice photos. A friend of mine James sent me this link so I thought I would tell the story about it. Probably long winded but felt the need tonight to say something.

I am the owner of the ICE COLE. I bought the boat from Mike Bell back in 1992 when I got back from Desert Storm. I was introduced "officially" to Mike Bell through my long time friend Tim Capaldi. Tim Capaldi and I went back to about 1982 when I first started tinkering around at the Capaldi Shop after school and on weekends. I was about 13 years old. I ended up working for Tim Capaldi, his construction company and racing with him until he passed away in April 1994. Mike Bell turned me on to Jack Wright "The Joker" BGH who bought the Blown BBC from Mike Bell and ran in IHBA and NJBA and set a few world records with it. Bitchin' engine set up. Sounds like it runs on a little bit of Nitro only on gas, strange but true. I bought the engine back from Jack Wright and brought it back from Oakhurst CA. Jack Wright and I are still friends to this day. He now races Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car. Mike Bell, Tim Capaldi, Ray Capaldi, Troy Jones, Frank Sandoval, Jack Wright, Sean Giroux, Pete Flemming, Davey Allison all pitched when they could and helped put the ICE COLE back into race shape for me. I am forever grateful to them all. The Shot Gun Ford motor that Mike Bell used to run to promote his Motorcraft distribution company was sold to Dino Warda where he raced with it in the "Perverted Boat" and won races then sold it to another boat racer back south somewhere. I couldn't afford that Ford motor at the time. That deal was like $50K just for the engine. Way out of my league. All my money was spent on the hull and the blown BBC. It wasn’t cheap by any means even by today’s standards. I later had the opportunity to buy the record setting Arias motor also seen in these photos which belonged to Jim Cole and was a partnership between Mike Bell and Jim Cole. The Arias engine was sitting in the engine room at Jim Cole’s for years collecting dust. Eddie Knox bought it up about the year of 1998-2000 or so right before Jim Cole shut down the shop.

Mike Bell, Tim & Ray Capaldi and Jerry "The Hammer" Hanks taught me how to really drive a BGF and how to get it out of the gate to take a set. I lived at Jerry Hanks house in Bull Head city for a little time period to take advantage of the coaching/friendship and the river access we had. Jerry lived right on the river. Jerry Hanks was the one who taught Mike Bell how to drive a BGF 12 years earlier. Sadly I lost touch with my friend Jerry Hanks after Mike died. Jerry and his wife Sandy moved I think to Seattle or northern California where I lost his information.

I've had the boat down to Parker a few times over the past 15 years (not nearly enough) where she attracts quite the crowd when we show up. Amazing machine that was originally built for Blown Fuel Flat to duplicate Jim Cole's "Spooky" #660 that Jerry Hanks drove like a mad man. Not the Red White & Blue Spooky. All the ICE COLE hull, hardware, running gear, plates etc is all set up for Blown Fuel Flat. Jerry Hanks changed Mike Bells mind about running BFF and ran BGF with it. Shortly after that time period they outlawed BFF. An entirely different breed of drivers. Amazing machines and amazing men. God bless you all.

The ICE COLE was originally built and painted to match the first SPOOKY (Orange, Yellow & White) (most people don’t remember it) from the early 70's boat and Mike Bell had it updated later with the color scheme you see here by Bill Carter and Steve Stanford. Still has some of the original colors and lines from the original spooky boat but the colors are different. One of the finest paint jobs I’ve ever seen even still to this date.

Would love to take it out again, play with it and maybe race it. Lost interest in racing it when my friends started dying off. Tim Capaldi, Mike Bell, Denver and a bad wreck with Clinton Anderson all within a short span of time had my head swimming. Plus I don’t really have anyone to help me with it because lord knows you can’t do this deal on your own by yourself with your girlfriend.

The ICE COLE is just as beautiful as everyone remembers. I keep her in tip top shape to honor the legacy and the history that was handed down to me by Jim Cole, Jerry Hanks, Mike Bell and the love and labor that was put into for me by my lost friends. The boat has way too much sentimental value and history for any price tag. Mike and I were friends until the very end. We had a family bond because of the boat. He made me promise when I bought it that I would never cut a hole in it for a capsule, I would never change the boat name, I would never change the number and that I would always take care of her and always seek my own air. He gave me a bunch of racing advice over the years which I still use in regular business today.

I sure miss the hey-day and the hoopla of the 80’s drag boat racing. The people, the colors, the T-shirts, the boat names. It’s never really been the same to me after losing my friends. But their memory and the era lives on because of websites like this, which puts a smile on my face and a big thank you for those who never let it die.

Hey tim, thats great stuff! ask jack if he knew a gentlmen by the name of hank werner that had a bristol, flatty called yellowjacket" and was in the framing business. very curious thanks

M&JAUTOPARTS

Reaction score
Hi Tim, nice to meet you!I would love to see that boat again:D If you ever,ever take the boat out or race it I would love to help you it would bring back so many memories.Hey maybe some day when my project is done( 18 tahiti super tiger jet) we can make it to the river someday?I have told my dad about this and he remembers all those guys.It looks to me that you love that bitchen boat!!!! take care jake chandler

Jake Chandler, Your dad wouldn't be Alan would it?

BPRMotorsports

Reaction score
Cecil was my dads best freind. The sanger was white and burgandy and we bought that boat from him. With the four seat set up and manifolds it ran 104 @ the family drags in parker in 1979. My dad and Cecil started drag racing boats in 1960 and they both quit in the early 70s and started again in the late 70s and both really got goin in the 80s. I was there @ firebird when he was killed and it was 1 of the worst days of my life. He started racing again in bgf with a sanger runner we bought that boat from him after he raced it for 1 season, it was a bubble deck that was square on the drivers side. When we bought it we raced it in comp flat in 1980. Cecil then bought John Anins(JDA DRAINS) old ubfh called whisker biscket and Cecil turned it into a bah and was the first Coors Light Special. Cecil was good freinds with Keith Black and they were doing his emgines with Wes Cearney doing the tuning because he worked for KB. I lost alot of freinds in the 80s in this sport. Cecil was a 1 of a kind great guy.!!

My dad Bill Patterson was about to be Cecil's crew chief when he was killed. Wes was just about to be fired by Cecil. We had been running Cecil for years in BAH and Cecil decided that if he couldn't beat him, that he'd hire him. Losing Cecil was a huge blow to my dad and then in Waco July 4th Weekend 1986 losing Bill Hartman was just too much. We left Drag Boat racing forever that day. We've been on the pavement ever since. :)

RiverRacerX

RRX Dude
Reaction score
Hypertension BAH #177 was our boat. It was my dad's, Jack Taylor, and Rod drove for us. We won Firebird in 1990 (I think). Great boat. And Rod was a great guy.

Waldo

Reaction score
The Ole "Quickdraw" Machine BGF",...That's one of my "Best Friends" Jim Ermshar to the left of Chuck, in the BGF #668 "Ivory Hunter" followed down the Rope by his Brother Don in the BGF #661 "All Nighter"....Good Times racing with those guys !!!

#661 is actually Jim Walders (my uncle) driving the "Reflection" BGF... Cool pic of these old rivals for sure!
Old_Dragboat_pics_001.jpg

David 519

Reaction score
A couple i have from Phoenix around 1990, more in boxes need scan someday.[/QUOTE
who is driving Dago Red in this picture ?

Was NorCal guy and I think his last name was Leonard or close. He ran it in either 9.0 or mayby 8.0. I dont remember him really doing well with it. I loved that boat and In 88 or so I tried to buy the Dago Red boat from him but he wouldn't sell. I told his wife I had $14K cash (a new stage 3 Canyon was around $9k at the time) but she said it was his decision. I ended up building a new Canyon. He sold it to Jason Crews a couple years later for something like $9k. Jason has owned it since.

ERV JR

Reaction score
Was NorCal guy and I think his last name was Leonard or close. He ran it in either 9.0 or mayby 8.0. I dont remember him really doing well with it. I loved that boat and In 88 or so I tried to buy the Dago Red boat from him but he wouldn't sell. I told his wife I had $14K cash (a new stage 3 Canyon was around $9k at the time) but she said it was his decision. I ended up building a new Canyon. He sold it to Jason Crews a couple years later for something like $9k. Jason has owned it since.

I think my dad sold the boat in 87-88, could have been late 88-89. I think I was in kindergarden. I know the last season after Denny passed that my dad decided to have Fred Rommer (sp) drive the boat in PGF and then sold the boat ,which I don't remember seeing it raced much until Jason got it. I do remember seeing the engine back in the garage several times either freshing it or having the block and heads welded , also going to the track to help the guy out since he screwed it up so many times. I figured that it was not fred driving in that picture since his vest was the same color as my dads. BTW that canyon was $2500 from Wayne lol.

waterhorse

Reaction score
I met Don Mueller sp? (great guy) last night at a party in Santa Barbara. He drove the Master Charge BGF and later Master Charge BGH. This was up until 1985. Any pics of these boats by chance? (1985 or earlier). I could be wrong on the Blown Gas Class, we were pretty thirsty last night.:D

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have lots of pics from firebird from the late 80's through about 05 I need to scan and upload.

What is the turnout like at firebird now days? Haven't been in a decade, and we have been talking about driving out this year.

Phaeton

Reaction score
Some pics from the early 90's Some up North boats since I am from Oregon.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Some pics from the early 90's Some up North boats since I am from Oregon.

Can I buy a copy of one photo from above ?

This looks like Bakersfield, and 1992 ?

The photo of boat 410, has me leaning over from the driver's side, while warming the motor .

That is the photo I would like to buy a copy of .

Won High Points Champ that year .

Thanks ..........

Also sold and rigged that Howard #208 ......

Phaeton

Reaction score
Those were all the pics I could find. It has been a long long time since I looked at those. So many of those boats are no more. Some great memories. Plan on heading to the finals next year as I need my fix again. Anyone else have pics post up.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Those 80/90's years of drag boat racing in so cal. pudding stone / castaic / Irvine was so great.
Huge boat counts, and huge crowds. Some of the best times . :thumbsup
Lowered duallies, buying t shirts , hot chicks. Caged beer gardens .
Miss those days .

GeorgeCZ

Reaction score
just came across the forum and found these pics... so awesome. My brother was a boat painter back in the late 70's and 80's, he painted quick draw, illusion and many others. Last boat he worked on was Chillie Willis boat. Was wondering if anyone has a picture of Illusion? I thought it was Chuck's boat but not sure. This boat had the Genie bottle painted on it that had a Genie appear as you got closer. Thanks, cool thread.

wzuber

Reaction score
HAha....look at that stash on ol' Gary Kincaid at Puddlestone. Was that the race he hit the beach in? Such a great time and great TFH (or TAH? little fuzzy on that) competitor. It was always fun to drop by the shop and shoot the shit with Gary. He and his dad always had time to chat while they worked on peoples toys. Good times, miss those guys, days etc. Thanks for the pics. and memories SS.

Last edited:

Tom Wingo

Reaction score
Very nice photos. A friend of mine James sent me this link so I thought I would tell the story about it. Probably long winded but felt the need tonight to say something.

I am the owner of the ICE COLE. I bought the boat from Mike Bell back in 1992 when I got back from Desert Storm. I was introduced "officially" to Mike Bell through my long time friend Tim Capaldi. Tim Capaldi and I went back to about 1982 when I first started tinkering around at the Capaldi Shop after school and on weekends. I was about 13 years old. I ended up working for Tim Capaldi, his construction company and racing with him until he passed away in April 1994. Mike Bell turned me on to Jack Wright "The Joker" BGH who bought the Blown BBC from Mike Bell and ran in IHBA and NJBA and set a few world records with it. Bitchin' engine set up. Sounds like it runs on a little bit of Nitro only on gas, strange but true. I bought the engine back from Jack Wright and brought it back from Oakhurst CA. Jack Wright and I are still friends to this day. He now races Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car. Mike Bell, Tim Capaldi, Ray Capaldi, Troy Jones, Frank Sandoval, Jack Wright, Sean Giroux, Pete Flemming, Davey Allison all pitched when they could and helped put the ICE COLE back into race shape for me. I am forever grateful to them all. The Shot Gun Ford motor that Mike Bell used to run to promote his Motorcraft distribution company was sold to Dino Warda where he raced with it in the "Perverted Boat" and won races then sold it to another boat racer back south somewhere. I couldn't afford that Ford motor at the time. That deal was like $50K just for the engine. Way out of my league. All my money was spent on the hull and the blown BBC. It wasn’t cheap by any means even by today’s standards. I later had the opportunity to buy the record setting Arias motor also seen in these photos which belonged to Jim Cole and was a partnership between Mike Bell and Jim Cole. The Arias engine was sitting in the engine room at Jim Cole’s for years collecting dust. Eddie Knox bought it up about the year of 1998-2000 or so right before Jim Cole shut down the shop.

Mike Bell, Tim & Ray Capaldi and Jerry "The Hammer" Hanks taught me how to really drive a BGF and how to get it out of the gate to take a set. I lived at Jerry Hanks house in Bull Head city for a little time period to take advantage of the coaching/friendship and the river access we had. Jerry lived right on the river. Jerry Hanks was the one who taught Mike Bell how to drive a BGF 12 years earlier. Sadly I lost touch with my friend Jerry Hanks after Mike died. Jerry and his wife Sandy moved I think to Seattle or northern California where I lost his information.

I've had the boat down to Parker a few times over the past 15 years (not nearly enough) where she attracts quite the crowd when we show up. Amazing machine that was originally built for Blown Fuel Flat to duplicate Jim Cole's "Spooky" #660 that Jerry Hanks drove like a mad man. Not the Red White & Blue Spooky. All the ICE COLE hull, hardware, running gear, plates etc is all set up for Blown Fuel Flat. Jerry Hanks changed Mike Bells mind about running BFF and ran BGF with it. Shortly after that time period they outlawed BFF. An entirely different breed of drivers. Amazing machines and amazing men. God bless you all.

The ICE COLE was originally built and painted to match the first SPOOKY (Orange, Yellow & White) (most people don’t remember it) from the early 70's boat and Mike Bell had it updated later with the color scheme you see here by Bill Carter and Steve Stanford. Still has some of the original colors and lines from the original spooky boat but the colors are different. One of the finest paint jobs I’ve ever seen even still to this date.

Would love to take it out again, play with it and maybe race it. Lost interest in racing it when my friends started dying off. Tim Capaldi, Mike Bell, Denver and a bad wreck with Clinton Anderson all within a short span of time had my head swimming. Plus I don’t really have anyone to help me with it because lord knows you can’t do this deal on your own by yourself with your girlfriend.

The ICE COLE is just as beautiful as everyone remembers. I keep her in tip top shape to honor the legacy and the history that was handed down to me by Jim Cole, Jerry Hanks, Mike Bell and the love and labor that was put into for me by my lost friends. The boat has way too much sentimental value and history for any price tag. Mike and I were friends until the very end. We had a family bond because of the boat. He made me promise when I bought it that I would never cut a hole in it for a capsule, I would never change the boat name, I would never change the number and that I would always take care of her and always seek my own air. He gave me a bunch of racing advice over the years which I still use in regular business today.

I sure miss the hey-day and the hoopla of the 80’s drag boat racing. The people, the colors, the T-shirts, the boat names. It’s never really been the same to me after losing my friends. But their memory and the era lives on because of websites like this, which puts a smile on my face and a big thank you for those who never let it die.

Tim Cooper

Last edited:

Tom Wingo

Reaction score

Tim Cooper
Does anyone know how to get in touch Tim Cooper, owner of the Ice Cole Blown Gas flat bottom. If so please contact me at 713-725-0887 Thanks Tom

Last edited:

Phaeton

Reaction score
We are going to go watch the finals in Chandler this year. Have not been since 92. Where do people stay hotels? Thank you

bagged97taco

Reaction score
We are going to go watch the finals in Chandler this year. Have not been since 92. Where do people stay hotels? Thank you
Numerous hotels in the area. Wild horse casino/hotel is less than a mile away from the track but can book early and rates will be higher than near by hotels off chandler blvd Look a for a maroon Cole #506 and a blue/white kurtis #605 in the pits and say hi. Pops and I will both be racing!

Phaeton

Reaction score
Will do. Can't wait it has been a long time. 2007 Red Bluff was the last time.

WickedFast1

Reaction score
Hey SFV2RVR and SharpShooter, my name's Todd Parrino, and my dad Nick Parrino, has been friends with Chuck since they were in high school. My dad was a part owner of QUICKDRAW. Did we ever meet at any races back then, cuz we were at every event, all through the eighties and more. I posted a couple of pix. The second picture of the boat in the pits was taken at Puddingstone, and thats me in the dark long sleeve shirt, on the left side of the picture, leaning in towards the motor. The pic of Chuck racing, was taken up north, or it might have been Castaic, I'm not sure, I've got a ton of pix of that badass mofo!!
I never liked the Ermshires, everyone knew they weren't playing anywhere near fair back then. I remember one day, Bubby (Wilton) caught Don red handed, adding nitro methane into his fuel, and cracked Don square in the face. It was a huge seen, and kinda funny, at the same time, watching a couple of old guys going at it, even though it was pretty much a yelling match that ended with Bubby punching Don in the face!! Great times!!
Sharp Shooter, if you get this, will you email me at tparrino83@gmail, I know that Chucks health hasn't been good, and I heard it's really bad actually. So if by chance you do get this, please contact me. I'd really appreciate it, and so would my dad. Like I said, he and chuck are lifelong friends. I miss that wicked ol Arias powered beast...and going to all the races!!
Hope to hear from you!!
Todd

Attachments

• 1521394505898.jpg
    1521394505898.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 1521398262350.jpg
    1521398262350.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 1521398368492.jpg
    1521398368492.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 278