WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alternator setup?

westair

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a place for an alternator .... my drive is off the front of the crank so I'm not sure what to do but can I put a pulley between the drive shaft and the adapter? any suggestions or advice on this?
also, any suggestions on where to have one made or find one would be helpful,
thanks!

Attachments

• 20131104_191936.jpg
    20131104_191936.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 196

lebel409

Reaction score
Rex marine has a neat set-up, but needs orders to make a new batch...I'm in.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
I was looking to upgrade my BBC setup (low mounted, cyl head to engine plate)) and believe it or not Summit sells some pretty cool stuff that looks to be compatable. Check it out, it may fly...
DV

westair

Reaction score
Rex marine has a neat set-up, but needs orders to make a new batch...I'm in.

Thanks, sounds good to me, I'll check it out in his catalog .... always try to buy from RM

I was looking to upgrade my BBC setup (low mounted, cyl head to engine plate)) and believe it or not Summit sells some pretty cool stuff that looks to be compatable. Check it out, it may fly...
DV

Thanks also, I'll look that up!

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a place for an alternator .... my drive is off the front of the crank so I'm not sure what to do but can I put a pulley between the drive shaft and the adapter? any suggestions or advice on this?
thanks!

Might check with Bergeron, didn't we get the driveline adapter from them?

I did a quick look on Good Vibrations site, they have a 6" billet pulley made to go between damper and blower pulley that might work. I would try to find a smaller diameter pulley to not spin the alternator quite as fast if you can.

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/Blower_accessory_pulleys_&_spacers.htm

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
run it up front by the vdrive:

BVzvY2Z.jpg

or run it off the rear

wsilveralt.jpg

westair

Reaction score
Carl, plenty of room on the other side if I could figure out a way to do it, something like kaotyk's pic off the rear. What do think Barry since you built the motor, should I consider going to a mag on this? The adapter came from the guy I bought the boat from but he never ran an alternator, its 4.5" so maybe I could have a pulley made about that size?

Attachments

• 20131107_160435.jpg
    20131107_160435.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Carl, plenty of room on the other side if I could figure out a way to do it, something like kaotyk's pic off the rear. What do think Barry since you built the motor, should I consider going to a mag on this? The adapter came from the guy I bought the boat from but he never ran an alternator, its 4.5" so maybe I could have a pulley made about that size?

Nothing wrong with running a mad, guess it depends on what you already have, and if it's primarily going to be a race boat that doesn't stay in the water all day and have to start numerous times. I ran a magneto for years in my Schiada with no charging system, just made sure the battery was always charged.

I wonder if you might even be able to have a V groove machined into the adapter if you wanted to run an alternator? You could still fabricate something to work in the rear if you wanted to I think, but probably nothing off the shelf.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I ran a forward alternator using a pulley that was drilled to mate up to the PTO (I didn't run a dampner). The best set up I've seen was Larry Hamiltons flywheel pulley set up off the back of his superstock. PM mxboogieman on PB and I'm sure he will hook you up the info for that. He didn't run a bellhousing so you could see everything.

202382_210470918962968_7591299_o.jpg

Last edited:

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
So in the rear of the boat, fuel cell gonna sit there on top of the strut? Seems like (echo Barry) you could use some sort of direct drive setup that is normally seen on the other end of the crank. Bolt up something to the crankshaft and direct drive it.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So in the rear of the boat, fuel cell gonna sit there on top of the strut? Seems like (echo Barry) you could use some sort of direct drive setup that is normally seen on the other end of the crank. Bolt up something to the crankshaft and direct drive it.

That requires a special alternator correct? Spinning it at ditect driven high rpm for any amount of time will eat up a regular alternator. I used to blow alternators like crazy in my mustang after changing pullies until I realized the alternator was spinning at almost twice the normal speed.Thank jeebus for aauto zone lifetime warranties!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
That requires a special alternator correct? Spinning it at ditect driven high rpm for any amount of time will eat up a regular alternator. I used to blow alternators like crazy in my mustang after changing pullies until I realized the alternator was spinning at almost twice the normal speed.Thank jeebus for aauto zone lifetime warranties!

It would only depend on pulley sizes, alternators already spin off the crank normally. Rear mounting it on the bell housing side would make no difference.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
It would only depend on pulley sizes, alternators already spin off the crank normally. Rear mounting it on the bell housing side would make no difference.

No no... a direct drive setup off the rear.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
No no... a direct drive setup off the rear.

Wouldn't matter, crank turns the same whether you use the front or the rear. It's turning at the same rpm.

obnoxious001

Reaction score

That would be pretty cool actually,, probably a modified Rex setup, or copy if they don't have one in stock. Rear mount direct drive would actually run the alternator the same direction as the crank (and thus the "normal" rotation), but I have not heard of guys with the regular off the damper direct drive having alternator failures. I had one on my Vega, didn't really drive the car enough to see if the one to one ratio was enough to keep the battery charged in street use, but in a boat that turns easily twice the normal rpm of a street vehicle, it makes all kinds of sense.

westair

Reaction score
Direct ... your referring to a setup like this? this would be ideal, Barry your thinkin Rex might have something? nothing else going back there except a battery or 2 .... using side fuel tanks for now.
SS thanks for the referral, I'll send a PM ... yes something off the flywheel I think is my preference now.

Attachments

• 100_1337.jpg
    100_1337.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 214

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Direct ... your referring to a setup like this? this would be ideal, Barry your thinkin Rex might have something? nothing else going back there except a battery or 2 .... using side fuel tanks for now.
SS thanks for the referral, I'll send a PM ... yes something off the flywheel I think is my preference now.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The boat in the pic belongs to Phil (DiMarco21 on the boards), send him a note to see if he made his stuff (probably did, he's a talented fucker) or modified a Rex or somebody else's deal.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

Clearly not what I was envisioning. That's cool.

I was thinking of a pulley on the flywheel with some kind of custom mount. Maybe even reverse mounted like mine is.
2egarugu.jpg

lebel409

Reaction score
I'd gladly replace an alternator every other trip not to have an open pulley near a rope, girls hair, or my hand...

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'd gladly replace an alternator every other trip not to have an open pulley near a rope, girls hair, or my hand...

I covered mine with aluminum.

DSC04172.JPG

Attachments

• Millerton.jpg
    Millerton.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 124

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The boat in the pic belongs to Phil (DiMarco21 on the boards), send him a note to see if he made his stuff (probably did, he's a talented fucker) or modified a Rex or somebody else's deal.

Yep, would bet he made it, no sense to buy the Rex deal and change it all around. "Spider" coupler can be purchased from WW Grainger,, then need a plate and some kind of stand offs.

harlanorrin

Reaction score
There used to be a 2 piece pulley that bolted to the drive shaft. I would like 2. One for a 1310 driveshaft and one for a 1350 driveshaft.
HARLAN ORRIN

harlanorrin

Reaction score
Last week I talked with Dave Sammons while he disassembled my Marbet 4 shaft v-drive that willl be back in my 1955 Joe Mandella flat bottom. The boat was built with twin props-twin rudders. The v-drive has an idler shaft that protudes from the rear-right of the v-drive. Dave will build a v-drive takeoff flange with a pulley that will be used to drive the alternator.
My 1958 Mandella has a Casale top loader FNR v-drive. Dave will build a v-drive takeoff with a pulley that will mount the 1350 driveshaft.
HARLAN ORRIN

JusTrouble

Reaction score
Last week I talked with Dave Sammons while he disassembled my Marbet 4 shaft v-drive that willl be back in my 1955 Joe Mandella flat bottom. The boat was built with twin props-twin rudders. The v-drive has an idler shaft that protudes from the rear-right of the v-drive. Dave will build a v-drive takeoff flange with a pulley that will be used to drive the alternator.
My 1958 Mandella has a Casale top loader FNR v-drive. Dave will build a v-drive takeoff with a pulley that will mount the 1350 driveshaft.
HARLAN ORRIN

Harlan,
Did you get this v-drive takeoff with a pulley built? I'd love to see it. I may need the same thing. A photo would be great! I found this thread as I was unsuccessfully looking for a 2 piece pulley.

bajagrom

Reaction score
Sorry to tread jack but this is my set up. It looks terrible but works. I need to update this setup because it vibrates to much and I'm afraid something will break any ideas? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395079535.049832.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395079556.318639.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395079595.198597.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You aren't going to hurt an alternator running it 1:1 off the crank, especially in a flatty with no current draw except an ignition and charging the battery, in most passenger cars the alternator is about 2.5:1 crank speed, so when you are cruising down the road at 2000rpm the alternator is spinning closer to 5000 rpm.

Now if you are running it in a boat where you are going 5000 all day that may be an issue, if the alternator is spinning 10,000, although if you look at most merc packages they retain the same ~2.5:1 ratio and cruise around 3,500-4,000 all day, i rarely see alternator problems with them.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Also search for 'Spider Coupling' on mcmaster carr, this gives a great way to attach the flywheel to the alternator allowing for easy removal. You can buy just the rubber spiders there, and the easily machine the two other ends on a mill and lathe to fit accordingly

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
Take a loo kata this set up. Clean and simple, hides everything and not in way. image.jpg image.jpg

Prime Marine

Custom rigging
Reaction score
thanks!

Here is on we just finished...

Attachments

• Ems alt and pump 003.jpg
    Ems alt and pump 003.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Ems alt and pump 002.jpg
    Ems alt and pump 002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Ems alt and pump 001.jpg
    Ems alt and pump 001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 166

DWhittin999

Reaction score
Here's my setup. You can get the Lovejoy coupler setup from a survivalist site called theepicenter. One side can be had in 3/4 or 1 inch bore size and the other is bored and threaded to attach directly to the shaft of the alternator (Either a GM 10si or 12si alternator). It's in their generators section and it's not pricey either. I went with 1 inch since I was making the drive shaft out of aluminum. Made all the parts at my brothers shop. Biggest challenge was the drive shaft that mounts to the rear of the crankshaft. I turned the shaft by hand but my brother drilled the holes and spot faces on the CNC, but that could be done by hand to if you had to. I like things over built so it is about as high tech as a hammer. Starts charging around 1500 RPM. Not all the wiring is shows since the boat's apart a bit right now.

Attachments

• 100_7605.JPG
    100_7605.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_7606.JPG
    100_7606.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_7607.JPG
    100_7607.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 218