Blue Water - Top

DCB - Top

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The "anti-yuppie" Sharp Shooter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 78 Times
    I ran a forward alternator using a pulley that was drilled to mate up to the PTO (I didn't run a dampner). The best set up I've seen was Larry Hamiltons flywheel pulley set up off the back of his superstock. PM mxboogieman on PB and I'm sure he will hook you up the info for that. He didn't run a bellhousing so you could see everything.

Last edited by Sharp Shooter; 11-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times
    So in the rear of the boat, fuel cell gonna sit there on top of the strut? Seems like (echo Barry) you could use some sort of direct drive setup that is normally seen on the other end of the crank. Bolt up something to the crankshaft and direct drive it.
    Life was simpler when I was a dick..

RD

Thanks
    Thanked 539 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    So in the rear of the boat, fuel cell gonna sit there on top of the strut? Seems like (echo Barry) you could use some sort of direct drive setup that is normally seen on the other end of the crank. Bolt up something to the crankshaft and direct drive it.
    That requires a special alternator correct? Spinning it at ditect driven high rpm for any amount of time will eat up a regular alternator. I used to blow alternators like crazy in my mustang after changing pullies until I realized the alternator was spinning at almost twice the normal speed.Thank jeebus for aauto zone lifetime warranties!

It is what it is........ Outdrive1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0tyk View Post
    That requires a special alternator correct? Spinning it at ditect driven high rpm for any amount of time will eat up a regular alternator. I used to blow alternators like crazy in my mustang after changing pullies until I realized the alternator was spinning at almost twice the normal speed.Thank jeebus for aauto zone lifetime warranties!
    It would only depend on pulley sizes, alternators already spin off the crank normally. Rear mounting it on the bell housing side would make no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by River911 View Post

And this POS Hyundai sucks ass juice through a paper straw

I feel like a fucking fag driving this thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 539 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdrive1 View Post
    It would only depend on pulley sizes, alternators already spin off the crank normally. Rear mounting it on the bell housing side would make no difference.
    No no... a direct drive setup off the rear.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0tyk View Post
    No no... a direct drive setup off the rear.
    Wouldn't matter, crank turns the same whether you use the front or the rear. It's turning at the same rpm.

Engine building character obnoxious001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 107 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    That would be pretty cool actually,, probably a modified Rex setup, or copy if they don't have one in stock. Rear mount direct drive would actually run the alternator the same direction as the crank (and thus the "normal" rotation), but I have not heard of guys with the regular off the damper direct drive having alternator failures. I had one on my Vega, didn't really drive the car enough to see if the one to one ratio was enough to keep the battery charged in street use, but in a boat that turns easily twice the normal rpm of a street vehicle, it makes all kinds of sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 132 Times
    Direct ... your referring to a setup like this? this would be ideal, Barry your thinkin Rex might have something? nothing else going back there except a battery or 2 .... using side fuel tanks for now.
    SS thanks for the referral, I'll send a PM ... yes something off the flywheel I think is my preference now.
    Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Direct ... your referring to a setup like this? this would be ideal, Barry your thinkin Rex might have something? nothing else going back there except a battery or 2 .... using side fuel tanks for now.
    SS thanks for the referral, I'll send a PM ... yes something off the flywheel I think is my preference now.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The boat in the pic belongs to Phil (DiMarco21 on the boards), send him a note to see if he made his stuff (probably did, he's a talented fucker) or modified a Rex or somebody else's deal.
    Life was simpler when I was a dick..

RD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Clearly not what I was envisioning. That's cool.

I was thinking of a pulley on the flywheel with some kind of custom mount. Maybe even reverse mounted like mine is.