WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trim Tabs On A Cat?

Craig

Reaction score
After sitting for a few years, I'm seriously thinking about freshening up my 22" Advantage Sportcat. I miss the lake :p The boat always ran well on the top end, but with a big prop, it was a pain out of the hole. So I was thinking about some tabs. I used to have a small set of Bennetts over the tunnels that really helped the boat to plane quicker. But when I put the external steering on the rams were in the way so I went with a set of fixed tunnel tabs. That gets rid of the porpoise, but does nothing for the holeshot. I was looking at Dana's Sponson Tabs, but it doesn't look like they'll work on my boat due to the shape & size of the notch on the sponsons. So has anyone ever mounted a set of tabs on the transom on each sponson? Dana thought this would work for the hole shot, but may not work that great at speed. I don't care about using them at speed, boat runs fine there. I just want to be able to run a 30 or 32 prop and if I have more then 1 cooler and 1 passenger in the boat, I'm not looking at sky for 5 minutes trying to get on plane :D

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
We've put sponson tabs on a few cats. We've always been able to mount them on the notch keeping the tabs up an inch or so above the bottom. If you mount them on the transom above the notch (I think this is what you mean) it depends on how large the notch is and how far above the bottom the tabs will be. The lower you mount them, the more effective they'll be helping get on plane.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You got rid of the porpoise?

I've read that's the one major shortcoming of the 22' Advantage hull...I've see some good deals over the years on these boats, I sorta assumed the owners couldn't get rid of the porpoise so they put the boats up for sale.

Craig

Reaction score
You got rid of the porpoise?

I've read that's the one major shortcoming of the 22' Advantage hull...I've see some good deals over the years on these boats, I sorta assumed the owners couldn't get rid of the porpoise so they put the boats up for sale.

I has two issues, it's not real good getting on plane without tabs if you're running a bigger prop. When I had the hydraulic Bennetts it'd pop right on plane, no problem. Then at about 80 mph it'd hop a little in smooth water but you could drive through it if you had the power. I could also bump the tabs down just a little and it'd take most hop out. The fixed tabs also got rid of most of the hop, but don't help getting on plane. Once running at speed though it'd do pretty good. I could run toe to toe with a friend with similar power in his 22 Daytona when we both had blown 454's. I put the 509 in the boat and ran 114.5 and probably could have gone a little more if I wasn't running out of lake at the time :) So the plan is the adjustable tabs on the transom and freshen the motor up for 2014!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I has two issues, it's not real good getting on plane without tabs if you're running a bigger prop. When I had the hydraulic Bennetts it'd pop right on plane, no problem. Then at about 80 mph it'd hop a little in smooth water but you could drive through it if you had the power. I could also bump the tabs down just a little and it'd take most hop out. The fixed tabs also got rid of most of the hop, but don't help getting on plane. Once running at speed though it'd do pretty good. I could run toe to toe with a friend with similar power in his 22 Daytona when we both had blown 454's. I put the 509 in the boat and ran 114.5 and probably could have gone a little more if I wasn't running out of lake at the time :) So the plan is the adjustable tabs on the transom and freshen the motor up for 2014!

be carefull with trim tabs on a cat... good way to make into an airplane:eek

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I had a 33 Daytona with a monster tab. It would get on plane at 2500 rpm. Never used after getting on plane. When Tony delivered it he used it to stop the hop at about 90/100, I never had the balls to try it. Lol.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I had a 33 Daytona with a monster tab. It would get on plane at 2500 rpm. Never used after getting on plane. When Tony delivered it he used it to stop the hop at about 90/100, I never had the balls to try it. Lol.

the center tab is a nice tool to have when it get real ruff at mead...;)

Gman

Reaction score
I've got a 21' Liberator Tunnel/OB. I added the Electric Lenco High Performance tabs to get rid of that notorious hop these boats have around 60 MPH, works great exactly for that, there mounted above the tunnel so when it comes to speed there up and out of the water.