WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rock Radio And Today's Music

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I don't listen to the radio much anymore, I just usually listen to the songs I've got downloaded on my phone and if I do listen to the radio for music it's on The Sound 100.3. I do find myself listening to John & Ken on KFI once in a while during the afternoon drive, but sometimes their rants just get annoying.

Back on point, there are no stations that play the latest rock music, and I mean music like I grew up listening to in 70's to early 90's. No more stations like KMET, KWeSt, KLOS, etc. In their heyday these stations ruled the airwaves for rock, granted there were pop and disco stations (like KKDJ that became KISS FM, K100 and on AM KHJ and KISS, and for awhile KRTH was a homey station when they played only 50's and early 60's music), that had their fan base. KLOS is still there, but since Mark & Brian left I haven't listened to them, I can't stand the new morning duo, and they are just a shadow of their former self. But real rock stations that played rock music no longer exist or there are no rock bands bands putting out worthwhile music anymore.

I was perusing iTunes this morning and sampling some songs and came to the conclusion that most of the songs that are played on classic rock stations would never be deemed worthy of airplay today on a rock station if they weren't an established band. What type of radio format would the Eagles be played on, or Van Morrison, or Tom Petty, REM, The Cure, Counting Crows Grateful Dead, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Allman Brothers - you get my point.

Music is so commercialized now that if you're a rock musician looking for big break, you better have something better than really awesome or you'll never get your music heard other then your local fan base.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
There is so little good music coming out these days.
And even "Classic Rock" is getting boring. I can only listen to AC/DC so many times:rolleyes

I've switched to talk radio, and I've been having a hard time finding anything good since Drew & Mike on WRIF (Detroit) lost their contract.

I tried listening to Handle on KFI, but I just can't take his arrogance and rants. And, the commercials on that station done by Tim Conway jr. are so fucking annoying, I can't stand it.

Been listening to Armstrong & Getty out of Sacramento area lately, they are OK.

Here in PHX we had a station that was somewhat "Indie" a few years ago that would play some things that were "fresh/new" (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, etc), but they changed format about 2-3 yrs ago.

Eddie511

Reaction score
I think it's got something to do with getting older. I liked my fathers music but he never got into my generations music. When my sister and I were bringing home tapes or CDs of pearl jam, STP, NIRVANA, Rage against the machine , NIN just to name a few. He just never got into it. Now I'm coming up on the age he was during that time I find myself in the same frame of mind. Everything I hear on rock stations I just don't get. There are few newer bands I like. Black keys, Kings of Leon, and Gary Clark Jr. But they all have sounds that remind me of older bands. When it comes to radio I've turned to podcasts. I've got about four people I subscribe to. My iPhone links up to my radio thru Bluetooth so l listen to who ever I want whenever I want.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Yep, podcasts are the way to go....
I listen to this one every day:

http://www.markandlynda.us/ IMG_0157.jpg

lebel409

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with the sound, 100.3FM. Better than KLOS as far as repeating the same playlist adnauseum and better at deep tracks and off the wall tunes. They had a KMET weekend a few weeks ago and had Dr. Demento on, with Gonjur, Fox Frazier Smith, etc. Rita Wild and Joe Benson are regulars.

I'm 50-50 on radio...sometimes I want to listen, sometimes I don't want to be bothered by some crappy tune. 100.3 is a pretty good mix.

Enen

Reaction score
Are Kevin and Bean still on the air in SoCal?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't listen to the radio much anymore, I just usually listen to the songs I've got downloaded on my phone and if I do listen to the radio for music it's on The Sound 100.3. I do find myself listening to John & Ken on KFI once in a while during the afternoon drive, but sometimes their rants just get annoying.

Back on point, there are no stations that play the latest rock music, and I mean music like I grew up listening to in 70's to early 90's. No more stations like KMET, KWeSt, KLOS, etc. In their heyday these stations ruled the airwaves for rock, granted there were pop and disco stations (like KKDJ that became KISS FM, K100 and on AM KHJ and KISS, and for awhile KRTH was a homey station when they played only 50's and early 60's music), that had their fan base. KLOS is still there, but since Mark & Brian left I haven't listened to them, I can't stand the new morning duo, and they are just a shadow of their former self. But real rock stations that played rock music no longer exist or there are no rock bands bands putting out worthwhile music anymore.

I was perusing iTunes this morning and sampling some songs and came to the conclusion that most of the songs that are played on classic rock stations would never be deemed worthy of airplay today on a rock station if they weren't an established band. What type of radio format would the Eagles be played on, or Van Morrison, or Tom Petty, REM, The Cure, Counting Crows Grateful Dead, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Allman Brothers - you get my point.

Music is so commercialized now that if you're a rock musician looking for big break, you better have something better than really awesome or you'll never get your music heard other then your local fan base.

Yup.... rock is a genre that has fallen by the wayside. :thumbsdown Watch ANY award show and you'll see that. It's all a popularity contest. Rock is way under-represented period. A shitload of good rock music out there that gets no love. It's still beyond me that in LA...one of the biggest markets, no real rock/metal station came about after KNAC left. Since moving to the IE.... KCAL is close, but not the same. 103.9 sucks...kinda like KROQ. So much "real" music out there, with "real" musicians, not "engineered" music or sound. When something or someone in the rock genre comes out with something new, I just happen to stumble upon it. Not like it used to be.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I agree, and feel much the same way about TV.

I switched to Apple TV a couple of years ago now and haven't looked back. No commercials, endless replays if the good stuff if you want etc...

For music, I use iTunes on "deep tracks" or discovery mode. Black Keys Radio has turned me on to two new Zeppelin albums I didn't have, plus a host of newer music.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with the sound, 100.3FM. Better than KLOS as far as repeating the same playlist adnauseum and better at deep tracks and off the wall tunes. They had a KMET weekend a few weeks ago and had Dr. Demento on, with Gonjur, Fox Frazier Smith, etc. Rita Wild and Joe Benson are regulars.

I'm 50-50 on radio...sometimes I want to listen, sometimes I don't want to be bothered by some crappy tune. 100.3 is a pretty good mix.

Yeah, that's what I listen to :thumbsup

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Bouy may know about this one.

When i listen to the radio, its 102.5 WDVE out of Pittsburgh, PA. Its definately not your regular, run of the mill clear channel rock station. Great morning show too!

They've been recently playing songs from a band named Chrome Moses. Good shit.

I get it on iheart radio

Eddie511

Reaction score
I really like the idea of podcast. Absolutely anything you can think of there is a podcast on. No censorship or politically correctness. My favorite right now is Joe Rogans podcast. You never know what he and his guest are going to talk about. One day it's a UFC fighter on next day it's a comedian another day it's a college professor talking about shit that's over my head. I like the idea of people talking openly without worrying about sponsors or people getting upset and demanding you be fired because you said something they disagree with.

77charger

Reaction score
Used to be great stations but it seems once clear channel started buying up all the stations they now control them and will play whoever wants to pay more.

When i lived in laguna growing up we could get rock 102.1 out of san diego it use to kick ass for rock then it went to 105.3 still decent but a couple years later went to crap.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I agree on the no rock stations. We have a good classic rock station in Sacramento, but the playlist is pretty short.

I listen to Armstrong & Getty in the mornings and listen to John & Ken is the afternoon. I used to listen to John & Ken years ago when they were syndicated. I know listen on iHeart Radio. Just yesterday I was thinking of starting a thread to see who listens to them. One of these days you will hear RogerThat99 call in to the MoistLine. LOL.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Check out WEQX 102.7. They're "The Real Alternative". They play a lot of new music. They have an App or go to there web site. :thumbup:

Cdog

Reaction score

Sounds like you want jack FM in LA. They pretty much play the line up you listed.

I bought a Logitech Squeeze box internet radio for my bedroom since we sleep with music on. In Phoenix we listen to Kroq, jack FM, 91X in SD and Indie 103.1.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
The only new rock I hear is streamed from New Normal Rock. I listen all day, everyday.

Zero commercials, no dooshy DJ chatter.

http://www.newnormalrock.com
Cool...will have to check this out. I was using Slacker for streaming. They have some good channels. The stupid short commercials have gotten more frequent. Annoyingly repetitive.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Sounds like you want jack FM in LA. They pretty much play the line up you listed.

I bought a Logitech Squeeze box internet radio for my bedroom since we sleep with music on. In Phoenix we listen to Kroq, jack FM, 91X in SD and Indie 103.1.

I have access to Jack FM, and do occasionally listen to them, but my point was if these established bands were starting out today what type of format station would they be played on? Probably their best chance would be on a station like 100.3 The Sound.

500bbc

Reaction score
Was just having the same conversation with a friend of mine, old rock and roller from the sixties that still performs.
He listens to a local college station and I told him about a college station I listen to that's jazz all week and blues on the weekends. Wouldn't have known Kenny Wayne and Stephan Stills were touring and have a CD out otherwise.

The rest of the stations play 40 year old rock over and over.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Chili your first post is absolutely dead nut on the money.
Growing in in SoCal I just assumed that KMET and the others...KNAC, KLOS, etc would go on forever. I guess a lot of us did.
When I moved up here in 1976 the FM band was pretty much dead except for KZAP, which was a great station (long gone) and a station out of woodland that everyone seemed to think kicked ass but I thought it sucked.
There is one classic rock station in NorCal, KSEG out of Sac...I can handle it for a few hours a week because beyond that they really get repetitive.
A new "Rock and Roll" band as you and I would define it is gonna have a hard time getting going on radio, because there isn't any.
I have Sirius/XM (via Dishnetwork) in the shop and listen to Classic Vinyl or Deep Tracks,
and wonder why there ain't no real radio no more.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
Bouy may know about this one.

When i listen to the radio, its 102.5 WDVE out of Pittsburgh, PA. Its definately not your regular, run of the mill clear channel rock station. Great morning show too!

They've been recently playing songs from a band named Chrome Moses. Good shit.

I get it on iheart radio

Yep! WDVE was pretty good, but at the time Howard Stern was the morning show, and I was never a big Stern fan.
The station did play good music, and they supported local bands (I still love "The Clarks").

Who is the morning show? Are they locals to the 'burgh?

Cdog

Reaction score
I have access to Jack FM, and do occasionally listen to them, but my point was if these established bands were starting out today what type of format station would they be played on? Probably their best chance would be on a station like 100.3 The Sound.

Seems like the modern-day version of 60?s-70?s & 80?s is some weird mix of what would be found on Kroq, Indie 103.1 and 91X. Queens of the Stone Age is the best example I can think of.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Hi Folks , Huge fan of music in general and particularly Rock and Rock radio from clear back to the sixties even back to Wolfman Jack , background music is an integral part of our day in the shop and we have been streaming from Pandora and Iheart using an older extra desk top but regardless of the internet choice or even occasionally when using my ipod we get a lot of "cut outs" and "shuddering" The desk top has nothing running in the background any thoughts ? gets real annoying and often we end up switching back to terrestrial Thanks Tom

BigQ

Reaction score
In the US it is a lot of pop music crap, like the award shows or country. Rock is bigger in Europe for some reason. I hear it all the time on Sirius radio. Sirus plays a lot of new bands and bands from other countries. I love to listen to Octane, turned me onto 12 Foot Ninja ! ;) They are from Australia.

Dancing chicks...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Yep! WDVE was pretty good, but at the time Howard Stern was the morning show, and I was never a big Stern fan.
The station did play good music, and they supported local bands (I still love "The Clarks").

Who is the morning show? Are they locals to the 'burgh?

Randy Bauman is the morning guy now but for as long as i can remember it was Scott Paulsen and Jim Krenn. From the late 80's till just a few years ago.

They released a whole bunch of morning show cd's back in the day. One of their most famous bits is "pants n'at".

"You ain't goin dahn Donnie Iris like that, ya look like a jag off"

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
In the US it is a lot of pop music crap, like the award shows or country. Rock is bigger in Europe for some reason. I hear it all the time on Sirius radio. Sirus plays a lot of new bands and bands from other countries. I love to listen to Octane, turned me onto 12 Foot Ninja ! ;) They are from Australia.

Dancing chicks...;)

Satellite radio for me too. I've got Sirius in the car, truck, motorhome and at home. Octane is my favorite but I do like 34 lithium and 38 boneyard and 39 hair nation.