WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for the 2014 Rules....

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
We will be there, racing Division 6 as usual. Yes that would be one division behind the fastest outboards. We dont have a problem chasing them down, as our lap times are faster, as proven on the racecourse and during qualifying. In fact, the only boat that qualified faster than ours was the Nordic, so I believe we are in the exactly the correct handicap position. That being said, there are many issues that face someone trying to run a 1980's era race vehicle with modern power hard for 300 miles, but you cant quantify "reliability" through any other objective measure besides lap times and past finishing performance. I believe Dave and Scott have done an excellent job of creating a handicap setup that reflects the hard evidence of past performance by many different boats and teams in the different divisions. So as to the subject of mod outboard vs. unlimited V Drive, we can run similar top end speeds, but we are better in rough water, and I can put about 15 boat lengths on them exiting corners with sheer acceleration. That adds up to us being faster around a live racecourse, so we should start behind them. Acting like we should get thrown a bone for bringing a Blown BBC to this gunfight is rediculous. Although they are naturally more reliable, the outboard boys are running the absolute DOGSHIT out of their stuff just like we are... becuase this is a RACE... and that is what you have do to win. Bowden and the War Canoe boys have had bizarre mechanical failures, overloaded systems, and field repairs over the years, which have resulted in disappointing finishes, as well as runs to podium finishes and victory... Just the same as us!

Ultimately, I would like to do away with the handicap system just as Dave said. The OVERALL winner should be the boat that can run the fastest on the course while successfully lasting 336 miles. Boats that are in different divisions should race for the title of "fastest XXXX" instead of "I won the enduro because the mod outboards had more handicap this year and couldnt catch me." I really dont understand the satisfaction in that. I am confused as to why any potential racers of the enduro would NOT RACE because of a perception that they could not win the overall, when the class they want to race is 20 MPH off the top runners. Racing is about defeating other teams in heads up competition by building a faster, better, more robust vehicle than they can. Would you get all puffed up if you beat a better golfer due to your handicap? I mean, Ive never played golf but I wouldnt brag to my buddies at the bar about that.

On the subject of "at the bar"... Ive said this a few times about this race, including last year on the radio broadcast. At the end of the day, there are those who will find excuses NOT to race, and those who will find solutions in order to field a boat on the race course. Ive heard so much whining and bench racing about the handicap system and the outboards and the divisions and all these reasons why the enduro just isnt FAIR. Well we race EVERY YEAR, spending a lot of time and money breaking things trying to win, regardless of the percieved FAIRNESS of a subjective handicap system. This is because we WANT to race in the enduro and quite frankly, all we care about is being fastest V-Drive there... Because that is what I would brag about at the bar, on the forums, in the bedroom, etc.

Side note: If you want to run a GN legal V-Drive, the only way to be competitive is to build a naturally aspirated engine, in my opinion. Its a completely different sad subject why the GN rules are the way they are today, but the anemic roots blower high RPM 468 is not a "marathon" configuration... you are fighting a losing fuel and engine reliability battle. The strength of the blower motor is added torque for turn exit, and there is only one U turn per 6 miles here. On the rough short course in 2012, I raced the first leg and it was NASTY. I saw the 22, 44, and the american flag rayson lay down some bad ass laps with the 510 inch buzz box motors. We were only running 5-10 MPH faster in the straights... No way we could have caught up to the first two GN boats. If you have a blower motor V-Drive, gear it up and cruise it in division 6, or build more power into it and run hard. Either way, you will probably podium after Gary, Tub of Fools, Bloodshot, and us genade all our shit chasing eachother around. Take it for what its worth....

See you on the racecourse
John Teague

View attachment 353950

Great fucking post right there. :thumbup:

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
We will be there, racing Division 6 as usual. Yes that would be one division behind the fastest outboards. We dont have a problem chasing them down, as our lap times are faster, as proven on the racecourse and during qualifying. In fact, the only boat that qualified faster than ours was the Nordic, so I believe we are in the exactly the correct handicap position. That being said, there are many issues that face someone trying to run a 1980's era race vehicle with modern power hard for 300 miles, but you cant quantify "reliability" through any other objective measure besides lap times and past finishing performance. I believe Dave and Scott have done an excellent job of creating a handicap setup that reflects the hard evidence of past performance by many different boats and teams in the different divisions. So as to the subject of mod outboard vs. unlimited V Drive, we can run similar top end speeds, but we are better in rough water, and I can put about 15 boat lengths on them exiting corners with sheer acceleration. That adds up to us being faster around a live racecourse, so we should start behind them. Acting like we should get thrown a bone for bringing a Blown BBC to this gunfight is rediculous. Although they are naturally more reliable, the outboard boys are running the absolute DOGSHIT out of their stuff just like we are... becuase this is a RACE... and that is what you have do to win. Bowden and the War Canoe boys have had bizarre mechanical failures, overloaded systems, and field repairs over the years, which have resulted in disappointing finishes, as well as runs to podium finishes and victory... Just the same as us!

Ultimately, I would like to do away with the handicap system just as Dave said. The OVERALL winner should be the boat that can run the fastest on the course while successfully lasting 336 miles. Boats that are in different divisions should race for the title of "fastest XXXX" instead of "I won the enduro because the mod outboards had more handicap this year and couldnt catch me." I really dont understand the satisfaction in that. I am confused as to why any potential racers of the enduro would NOT RACE because of a perception that they could not win the overall, when the class they want to race is 20 MPH off the top runners. Racing is about defeating other teams in heads up competition by building a faster, better, more robust vehicle than they can. Would you get all puffed up if you beat a better golfer due to your handicap? I mean, Ive never played golf but I wouldnt brag to my buddies at the bar about that.

On the subject of "at the bar"... Ive said this a few times about this race, including last year on the radio broadcast. At the end of the day, there are those who will find excuses NOT to race, and those who will find solutions in order to field a boat on the race course. Ive heard so much whining and bench racing about the handicap system and the outboards and the divisions and all these reasons why the enduro just isnt FAIR. Well we race EVERY YEAR, spending a lot of time and money breaking things trying to win, regardless of the percieved FAIRNESS of a subjective handicap system. This is because we WANT to race in the enduro and quite frankly, all we care about is being fastest V-Drive there... Because that is what I would brag about at the bar, on the forums, in the bedroom, etc.

Side note: If you want to run a GN legal V-Drive, the only way to be competitive is to build a naturally aspirated engine, in my opinion. Its a completely different sad subject why the GN rules are the way they are today, but the anemic roots blower high RPM 468 is not a "marathon" configuration... you are fighting a losing fuel and engine reliability battle. The strength of the blower motor is added torque for turn exit, and there is only one U turn per 6 miles here. On the rough short course in 2012, I raced the first leg and it was NASTY. I saw the 22, 44, and the american flag rayson lay down some bad ass laps with the 510 inch buzz box motors. We were only running 5-10 MPH faster in the straights... No way we could have caught up to the first two GN boats. If you have a blower motor V-Drive, gear it up and cruise it in division 6, or build more power into it and run hard. Either way, you will probably podium after Gary, Tub of Fools, Bloodshot, and us genade all our shit chasing eachother around. Take it for what its worth....

See you on the racecourse
John Teague

View attachment 353950

Nice John :thumbup:

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals, I am working on the completion of the 2014 Rules the basic over view is this.

Div. 1 Will be a bracket class this year and open to Inboards, Outboards, I/O's and Jets. No turbo chargers or blowers. The bracket time with be 11 minutes. You run 10:59 bam penalty.

Div. 2 No changes still a 2.0 outboard class at this time not under COR rules.

Div. 3 Still V-drive class. Motor can be up to 540 cid naturally aspirated. If you want to run a blower, or turbo charger you are going to Div. 6 that includes turbo charged diesel.

Div. 4 The same as last year just going to be more defied as IWSRA rules.

Div. 5 Still working on the final set. I will say that we are going to allow a few more engine combination and the Green engine package will be getting some help.

Div. 6 No changes from last year in the boat or engine rules.

Div. 7 Still working on the rules and adding a few more combination to help the growth of the division. The Nordic rules of last year will remain basically the same.

The final set of rules should be published in the next few weeks.

Scott

Scott, Anything yet on final rules ?

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Now that Long Beach is over, Scott will be finishing them up shortly.

Just secured our Title sponsor today! Sponsorship packets are going out to past sponsors, and new sponsors day after tomorrow. :)

So in short.. YES. :)

RD

So, now thats all done can we get the:rules

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RULES, WE NEED RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current rules are under review by APBA! Once we get them signed off by the Father Son and the Holy Ghost I can publish them. Hoping for early next week on that.

In the meantime, Scott put out a general overview a little while back. If you have any specific questions you are more then welcome to call Scott Schatz himself at 951-403-7775. :) He will be happy to answer any specific questions about a boat or specific class. Give him a call and if he doesn't answer leave a message and HE WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

Here was the general overview he posted

Ok guys and gals, I am working on the completion of the 2014 Rules the basic over view is this.

Div. 1 Will be a bracket class this year and open to Inboards, Outboards, I/O's and Jets. No turbo chargers or blowers. The bracket time with be 11 minutes. You run 10:59 bam penalty.

Div. 2 No changes still a 2.0 outboard class at this time not under COR rules.

Div. 3 Still V-drive class. Motor can be up to 540 cid naturally aspirated. If you want to run a blower, or turbo charger you are going to Div. 6 that includes turbo charged diesel.

Div. 4 The same as last year just going to be more defied as IWSRA rules.

Div. 5 Still working on the final set. I will say that we are going to allow a few more engine combination and the Green engine package will be getting some help.

Div. 6 No changes from last year in the boat or engine rules.

Div. 7 Still working on the rules and adding a few more combination to help the growth of the division. The Nordic rules of last year will remain basically the same.

RD

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Current rules are under review by APBA! Once we get them signed off by the Father Son and the Holy Ghost I can publish them. Hoping for early next week on that.

In the meantime, Scott put out a general overview a little while back. If you have any specific questions you are more then welcome to call Scott Schatz himself at 951-403-7775. :) He will be happy to answer any specific questions about a boat or specific class. Give him a call and if he doesn't answer leave a message and HE WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

Here was the general overview he posted

RD

Had a good talk with Scott this morning, he said he should have all the rules set within :twoweeks
He did say that all competitors boats will need a roman numeral in front of the boats # to show what division they are in.
Thats all I got :D

poundsand

Reaction score
cool 2 weeks from today is sept 1st gives everyone 55 days until race, maybe the race committee should provide the stickers needed just sayin, side note no one has responded to who is racing this year.....other then Teague and some other that I don't remember running last year if they did

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
cool 2 weeks from today is sept 1st gives everyone 55 days until race, maybe the race committee should provide the stickers needed just sayin, side note no one has responded to who is racing this year.....other then Teague and some other that I don't remember running last year if they did
Just give me that motor so I can go break it off in all these nuggets even that big gay Nodick boat.:skull

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
RTFLMAO.... You never quit. :thumbsup See you on the course, I'll wave :D :champagne:

If I was to race the enduro I would only race for a few laps as I will be running a 588 psi injected deal to come out to break it off in all the nay sayers of raysons that think Nordics schiadas and cougars are the ultimate hot rods.:p any side bets for fastest lap qualifying times?:p

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
If I was to race the enduro I would only race for a few laps as I will be running a 588 psi injected deal to come out to break it off in all the nay sayers of raysons that think Nordics schiadas and cougars are the ultimate hot rods.:p any side bets for fastest lap qualifying times?:p

Im in :D

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score

One lap doesn't mean doo doo at the 336... It is the ability to be there at the end. Silly inboarders...

But if we were able to put our "bone stock green engine" in its proper position, we would run 113 down the straights and average over 100 mph. Putting our engine down slows us to 100 on the straights and a 95 mph avg. We have to give up that speed to make it fair to the turbos and blowers.:p

We are praying for a 30 mph wind with an abundance of chop ... We like it rough. It separates the real drivers quickly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 120

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
One lap doesn't mean doo doo at the 336... It is the ability to be there at the end. Silly inboarders...

But if we were able to put our "bone stock green engine" in its proper position, we would run 113 down the straights and average over 100 mph. Putting our engine down slows us to 100 on the straights and a 95 mph avg. We have to give up that speed to make it fair to the turbos and blowers.:p

:fsakes :D