WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Repair for screw holes in floor and stringers

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I have several (big) screws that hold the rear bench and bolster seat mounts to the floor of my boat (28' Eliminator eagle) that are stripped out (the wood). most go into the stringers underneath the plywood floor, and I can't make them grab anything anymore. Can I fill these with an epoxy product of some sort to give the screws something to bite? I fear I will need to pull the carpeting and floor at some point in the future, just not this year.

Any ideas ?

fmo24

Reaction score
Maybe an epoxy and cabosil or chopped fibers or open the hole a bit and bond in a dowel cut flush to the surface

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have several (big) screws that hold the rear bench and bolster seat mounts to the floor of my boat (28' Eliminator eagle) that are stripped out (the wood). most go into the stringers underneath the plywood floor, and I can't make them grab anything anymore. Can I fill these with an epoxy product of some sort to give the screws something to bite? I fear I will need to pull the carpeting and floor at some point in the future, just not this year.

Any ideas ?

I swear we are on the same page... I am having the same issue with my 25? Eagle. I just called Alexi @ Boostpower yesterday (he is local to me) and he said the right way to do it and what they do is fill the old holes with resin and re drill. He said you could also use silicone or something to get you by for a bit. Not sure what I am going to do, I thought maybe drill the holes bigger and tap in some sort of a metal insert or something but haven't come across anything yet.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
If it was mine, I would go at it with a taper bit to get it to a dowel size, then drill it out with a flat bottom bit, glue in a dowel and seal it up.

After I pre-drill the new hole, I like to put a touch of sealant in the hole before I run the screw in just to help keep the moisture out.

howard rogers

Reaction score
mrgrip002.jpg mrgrip001.jpg

I got these at Home Depot....

Hye Power

Reaction score
If there in the stringers you can use tooth picks to reuse the same holes, if there not in the stringers then snap toggles are the way to go.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
drill the holes clean until you get nice clean wood. insert a dowel with some epoxy resin to fill the hole. then cut flush the dowel. countersink that and fill with a little epoxy resin and filler to finish it up. sand smooth. done. it'll be strong and you can redrill it and screw into it again.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
drill the holes clean until you get nice clean wood. insert a dowel with some epoxy resin to fill the hole. then cut flush the dowel. countersink that and fill with a little epoxy resin and filler to finish it up. sand smooth. done. it'll be strong and you can redrill it and screw into it again.

X2.

It is not much harder than just using epoxy, but is much much stronger.
With just epoxy, there is a decent chance for air bubbles down in the hole.

I drill, measure for depth, cut the dowel to length, mix epoxy, insert dowel(s) and tap them slightly under the surface with a hammer. Cure overnight and it is good as new.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Found these at Osh, and might give them a go. Drill a larger hole, drop this in with some epoxy around it. Looks like it might work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397850032.969066.jpg

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Some great ideas.. Thanks guys.

I got several of them where they seem tight with the 2 part epoxy, but If I ever have to remove them... I'm afraid ill be pulling out the epoxy at the same time..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Nord has the same deal with his Eagle. I want to say he put some of those drywall plastic deals in the holes?

You can fill those holes and drill new ones in a different location I guess??

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Toothpicks can give you some extra bite also.

neilbachman

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my Shockwave 21 step skier on the passenger seat. What is the two part resin that is being referred to. Can someone please help point me in the right direction, a link possibly? Thanks for any and all advice.

"NOEXCUSES"

Reaction score
I use "t" nuts and machine bolts. A dab of blue loctite. You'll never drill holes again. I haven't ripped them out. Not yet anyways.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever you do make it strong [emoji1320][emoji1303]

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my Shockwave 21 step skier on the passenger seat. What is the two part resin that is being referred to. Can someone please help point me in the right direction, a link possibly? Thanks for any and all advice.

got a pic or more details? we talking to the floor or the seat itself? for a screw i prefer to drill the hole clean with a larger bit, use a dowel along with some epoxy resin, and then redrill clean and rescrew. but if its to hold a seat to the floor, id rather through bolt. i use these little access plates under each seat so i can get my hand under the floor along with a long bolt through the seat base with a large washer on both sides and nylock locking nut. you could probably lift the boat by the seats. it also gives me a little access hole to the floor for breathing and drying out.

21371299_10155158047619833_6044357635452747211_n.jpg

neilbachman

Reaction score
The boat is in storage so but i will get photos this weekend for you to show. The seat is built similarly like a box and then attached with lag bolts. The bottom of the seat box looks like 1/2 wood and has 4 lag bolts attaching it through the floor. I will attach photos this weekend to make it more clear. Thank you for your help.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
The boat is in storage so but i will get photos this weekend for you to show. The seat is built similarly like a box and then attached with lag bolts. The bottom of the seat box looks like 1/2 wood and has 4 lag bolts attaching it through the floor. I will attach photos this weekend to make it more clear. Thank you for your help.

Yeah those all eventually pull out... you could fix it, or you could just move the screw over an inch and put in a new hole... heh.

neilbachman

Reaction score
Yeah those all eventually pull out... you could fix it, or you could just move the screw over an inch and put in a new hole... heh.

Well here is a million dollar question. If it was your boat which way would you fix it? A friend of mine, car guy, non boat owner suggested to just go to the next size up in lag bolt. Does that sound logical or messing with a already damaged hole and just a short term fix?

neilbachman

Reaction score
Ok I have attached the photos. You can see the front bolt is missing because it is stripped. If going with the dowel and resin method of fixing, what type and brand of resin am i getting and where do I get it from. Thanks

Attachments

• 20171001_115653.jpg
    20171001_115653.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 20171001_115656.jpg
    20171001_115656.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20171001_115705.jpg
    20171001_115705.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 289