WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24' Project

River Dan

Reaction score
I was looking for a 24' Full Day Cruiser with a V-Drive and found this Campbell on Craigs List about a year and a half ago. At the time I felt it was way over priced for a project boat and decided to see if it ever came down in price. Well it did and I went to look at it, the boat was way worse than the pictures had revealed as usual. I was about to walk away when my son pointed out some of the high points to me as I could sell the trailer alone and recover my investment. So I did it, I leapped into this deal with a blindfold on OMG!!! I do not know anything about Campbells had never even seen one up close until this particular day. Myself and son have had jet boats but nothing this big. The boat turns out to be "Freight-Train" The tandem 427 supercharged monster. As puchased the boat is set up with a single 454 BBC Art Carr prepped TH400 and Champion V-Drive. The running gear sits on full length aluminum rails and all the lines are braided hose the helm was fabricated out of heavy gauge aluminum has gauges for two engines and the stringers go all the way up to the tip of the bow. I was told that on the first trip out the engines pulled free of the stringers and the hull was taken back to Campbell for reinforcing. I have already started to disassemble the interior and test the systems for condition and have found the cav plate system to be functional the tanks solid and hold fuel. Right now I am in the process of replacing the fuel lines as they are so bad the fuel pump can not get a suction. I want to start the engine to make sure it is ok before I start sinking money into the interior. The engine looks to be a rebuilt as the enternal gaskets can be seen and look new, it gets 65psi oil when cranked over I think the lack of fuel discouraged somebody else. Well I started an album on it and will add pictures as progress takes place Stern.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Riverdan welcome aboard!!!! Glad you made it here safely !!! :D:D:D

Your boat has stirred some conversations in the past as the quad exhaust had everyone confused as to excatly what was going on there, until it was identified as a "freight train" boat !!!!! Very very cool, if you need anything let us know, or if just want to cry.... we feel your pain !!!!:p:p:p

TBulger

Reaction score
I just love it and someday will own a Campbell. I check the Campbell owners classifieds quite often and will pull the trigger, when the right one pops up. ;)

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
If that is the original boat that had Bubby Wilton blown freight-trained BBC's, yeah it was a hand full. Bubby swore he never set foot aboard that boat after its maiden voyage.

You can learn more at the CampbellBoatOwners website and find the origin of the boat by searching the pdf available for the Campbell Registry of boat builds.

Nice piece!

Rickybobby

Reaction score
riverdan

that would be cool Campbell history if that was Mr. Wilton's boat !!!!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Very sweet! I am looking forward to the progress!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Ok wait... So "Freight Train" wasn't just a made up title for a big heavy ass boat?? It was actually it's model/version?

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I am not sure, I thought it was a term used for tying two big ass motors together (car, boats ???)

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Couple of points.....Bubby Wilton is an engine builder he did NOT own the Campbell in question....he MAY have built the motors.

Freight trained engines is a reference to coupling two engines at the crankshaft (i.e. kinda like making a V-16 out of two V-8's). I've seen chain and sprocket used to couple the cranks together. If set 16* off on crank revolution, they would fire more like a V-16 in that both #1's wouldn't fire at the same time but one of them would fire half way between 1 and the second cylinder in the firing order.

River Dan

Reaction score
The registry list names Valentine as the customer. The story as it was told to me by someone that remembers the boat named "Freight Train" from the 1978 Regatta and an article in Hot Boat from the time. Mr Valentine ordered the Turbo Hull not rigged, bare hull only. Took delivery and had the engines built and rigged by others. I also was told that some time later the boat was stolen and then recovered minus the engines. Mr Valentine then remodeled the boat so that his wife could also drive the boat and I am assuming that is the configuration it is in now.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
River
Very cool story and most likely very close to what really happened ???

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
The registry list names Valentine as the customer. The story as it was told to me by someone that remembers the boat named "Freight Train" from the 1978 Regatta and an article in Hot Boat from the time. Mr Valentine ordered the Turbo Hull not rigged, bare hull only. Took delivery and had the engines built and rigged by others. I also was told that some time later the boat was stolen and then recovered minus the engines. Mr Valentine then remodeled the boat so that his wife could also drive the boat and I am assuming that is the configuration it is in now.

The article that you mention was posted as a pdf on one of the boating forums in the past couple of years. Use that search button up there on the right and start looking...

CC

River Dan

Reaction score
After flushing the fuel cells, testing for leaks replacing the braided lines, fuel pump and installing a spare 750 dual feed I had sitting on the shelf the mill fired up as soon as fuel made it through the carb about four revolutions she fired up and went to idle. At least that part of the deal worked out. Now I can continue with the interior. At this point it looks like I have a shot at getting on the water this season. Oh the gauges showed up today.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Very cool, that is one of the best feelings when they fire up!!!

redone76

Reaction score
After flushing the fuel cells, testing for leaks replacing the braided lines, fuel pump and installing a spare 750 dual feed I had sitting on the shelf the mill fired up as soon as fuel made it through the carb about four revolutions she fired up and went to idle. At least that part of the deal worked out. Now I can continue with the interior. At this point it looks like I have a shot at getting on the water this season. Oh the gauges showed up today.
Right On Dan! I need to come over and check it out! This is Mark by the way. Chris told me all about this beauty. Cant wait to see it in Parker

River Dan

Reaction score
What a difference in size. Pulled out the Jet boat to get ready for Tube Float and can really see the difference now! I can't wait to get the campbell on the water so I can actually stretch my legs out. Have been swamped at work no time to work on the project , this week should allow some work on the interior panels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 95

Rickybobby

Reaction score
She'll ride like a dream!!!! You guys coming to spring event???

River Dan

Reaction score
We may be taking the Motorhome and jet boat to Parker to set up for the season that weekend. If so, we will come by.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Might add one thing to the project list....Navigation Lights. USCG rules changed and the old 180* flat mounted in the stern with a 180* forward facing white on the cabin top no longer satisfy the regulations. Do some research and add a 360* all around white telescoping into the cabin top. Hopefully will allow you to drop it down to cabin top height when not in use.

River Dan

Reaction score
I was going to replace with another 180* . I will research that change. Last month I checked regulations and thought I read 180 and 180 with 2 NM visibility forward and aft and 1 NM port and starboard running lights for vessels under 20 meters. I think I would go with a detachable masthead all around light.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I didn't realize that I had saved a portion of the article that I mentioned about Valentine's ownership period. Very hard to read but maybe you can send it to somebody to clean up for you....

campbelltwininline.jpg

River Dan

Reaction score
I have spent at least an hour every day trying to find that article. Maybe "Super Cruiser" is the term that will lead there.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I also spotted Mike King's name in the article. Mike can still be found at Prime Marine.

River Dan

Reaction score
I am about ready to go to the upholstery shop and have the interior done up. have made the seats and replaced the floor. All the gauges have come in the new throttle controls have been cut into the helm so it should just be a matter of putting it back together when the interior gets back.

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 97

spectras only

Reaction score
here's the tandem engine setup in the Supercruiser from the days.:thumbup:

24campbell%20supercruiser2.jpg

River Dan

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture, still have not found that article.

spectras only

Reaction score
I'll see if I still have more info when I get home.If I don't have it, forum member 'Spectrabrent' might have it. I sent a bunch of old mags to him a long while ago.His Dad used to have a 32 Campbell.

River Dan

Reaction score
Even though I had to work all weekend I was able to bang out the last few pieces of the interior. going to upholstery this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 87

redone76

Reaction score
Lookin good Dan! You guys are kicking some ass...:bowdown:

Rickybobby

Reaction score
You gonna have this done by Sept ???? Looking good.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Dan
That would be awesome to see your work in progress. I dig your take on the co-pilot's table (with drink holders of course!!!!) Cant wait to see what you have next.

River Dan

Reaction score
I have the helm completed, control cables installed. Pick up the rebuilt carburetor tomorrow will change out the pressurized oil lines after that. The upholstery guy is swamped and short handed and has not been able to turn out more parts to me, I told him to at least get me the swivel captains chairs by this weekend so that I can try and put the boat in some water this weekend to see where I am really at. As long as the boat has been sitting I think I will replace the impeller in the water pump as well.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Dan
Your moving right along, nice work... If you need any help let me know.
rb

looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

TBulger

Reaction score
Very nice, you have the talent for this, that's for sure. Can't figure out why the Lord shorted me, so badly, with this gene? :headscratch:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Very nice, you have the talent for this, that's for sure. Can't figure out why the Lord shorted me, so badly, with this gene? :headscratch:

I'll take your money to pay for the work over my talent of fixing things. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Really want to see some pics of the engines and exhaust routing!

River Dan

Reaction score
On page three of this thread, you will see that the boat currently has only one engine in it now. By the time I came across the boat it was reconfigured for the single engine. And that is the way it is for now. The forward engine exhaust hose ran outboard of the rear engine exhaust log and exited the transom though the outer most ports. In the B/W photo you can see the hose between the seat and e-log.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Dan
I wonder if you should drop another motor in there just so you don't have to answer that question anymore ??? lol !!!! Hope all is well, and it was a blast to hook up with your's and Nailhead's crew !!!! I just made it back from a week of training so I can get back to boating stuff...
rb

AG6

Reaction score
On page three of this thread, you will see that the boat currently has only one engine in it now. By the time I came across the boat it was reconfigured for the single engine. And that is the way it is for now. The forward engine exhaust hose ran outboard of the rear engine exhaust log and exited the transom though the outer most ports. In the B/W photo you can see the hose between the seat and e-log.

How are you doing with your build? Are you really going to 'freight train' it back to original? I'm really considering a 24' single v-drive. I really love the style lines of this hull. What do you use for a trans for your setup? Still a TH400?
How was the transome wood? Thanks for any input, Dean.:eek:uttahere::eek:uttahere:

River Dan

Reaction score
AG6 not right now. Got the project on the water this year with the drive train that it came with, ran great. I am building a new engine for her for this winters project. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415454348.095560.jpg

AG6

Reaction score
AG6 not right now. Got the project on the water this year with the drive train that it came with, ran great. I am building a new engine for her for this winters project. View attachment 376038

So, I'm assuming it's going to stay a single? How did the interior turn out? Does this model, shve a hatch cover where the cockpit door goes? I've not seen any of these with a cabin door and overhead slide. I'm in Florida currently, but am a native San Diegan, and plan to return in 2018. I love the older boats that I grew up on in the day cruiser era. Thanks for the pics and info, I'm going to pull the trigger on the 79' I found. Dean.

River Dan

Reaction score
I did not do the whole interior just enough to get her out for a few trips. It is still a work in progress. I am glad I did not complete the interior because now that we have run her we know what we want to do to complete the restoration. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415456718.179739.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415456777.767524.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415456826.349605.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
RiverDan
I love the padded dash look, don't think I have seen that done yet, very cool and clean. Your killin me with the killla motor!!! No one will want to ride in my boat once the see that thing !!!!:p:p