WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hiring good admin staff

ROBINSON

Reaction score
How do you guys find good applicants? I am trying to fill an admin position (Electrical Contractor) to help with the project management department, tracking RFIs, submittals, close out docs, change order follow up etc.

I'll post up a detailed ad on Craigslist with previous experience required, a list of requirements, the skills needed and a job description. I get TONS of people applying that CLEARLY are not qualified, and have no relative experience at all. Its pretty frustrating.

Any input from the members on what has worked for you ?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
You might want to try plucking them right out of school, lots of grads entering the work place in the next few months. One of my cousins just got recruited out of USC by amazon, leaves for Seattle 3 weeks after graduation to start a 6 figure job. Lots of talent out there at the good schools:thumbsup

Advantage 1

Reaction score
How do you guys find good applicants? I am trying to fill an admin position (Electrical Contractor) to help with the project management department, tracking RFIs, submittals, close out docs, change order follow up etc.

Looking for the very same for my Construction Department... I've seen 15+ folks come and go for interviews over the last week. Everyone has been given the :thumbsdown... All ages, men & women. Still looking to fill.

rampgirlll

Reaction score
If your company uses an accountant that is not an employee, or a CPA firm, ask them if they know someone who would be well suited for the position. Trust me your accountant WANTS someone in that position that can do the job and won't send you idoits like what you getting from Craigs list. Just my two cents but craigs list is stupid for anything that matters. Only used it once at work to get rid of a wooden deck, had over 50 calls and no one came and picked up the free deck because there was work involved in disassembly which was also stated in the ad with pictures. So with that being said I would not advertise for an Admin position unless you have some time to waste on all the applicants.

Stace Case

Reaction score

I'll post up a detailed ad on Craigslist with previous experience required, a list of requirements, the skills needed and a job description. I get TONS of people applying that CLEARLY are not qualified, and have no relative experience at all. Its pretty frustrating.

I could be available if you are in Orange County. Worked for Briggs Electric In Tustin for many years. I would however need to one Friday off a month to go support The Real Prop Duster at Ming, Havasu & Parker - PM me if interested

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
My experience has been the best way is to get a reputable temp/employment firm to send in folks until you get the one that fits your needs. They do the interviewing, screening, and handle all their payroll/benefits until you choose a permanent replacement for direct hire.

Takes care of the bulk of the work and hassle for what will prove a well justified fee. I'm sure many will argue the fee is a waste, but from past experience, I guarantee, it's money well spent.:thumbsup

In this day and age, you can never believe resumes or even detailed interviews. It takes time at the actual job to assure the correct person and an agency can take the tedious part of the process out and relieve the hiring costs of multiple hires to get the correct person. Admin positions can often be one of the hardest to fill.

wishiknew

Reaction score

Where do you find your men from ???