WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Batteries

Meaney77

Reaction score
It?s time to replace the batteries in my boat, what are you guys using? Currently I have 2x6 volts hooked up to power the stereo and a 12v to start. I have run the 6v for a number of years and they have been good, but they are heavy and bulky and kind of a PIA sometimes. I was looking at just swapping back to 2x12v deep cycle batteries. I just installed 2 Alpine digital amps so I am hoping they wont draw as much voltage as the other amps I had. Now that I have kids, I am not hanging out at the sandbar listening to music really loud all day.

I read a few posts form a few of you guys stating that you have had some issues with the Optima blue tops. I am open to recommendations please.

copterzach

Reaction score
I have 2 Interatate batteries. Had good luck with them. But I am going to change them out this year also. They are from 2008 and been sitting for 2 years. Also interested in everyone input.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Two Interstates as well. Group 24, the are the smaller ones. I don't have a big stereo so these do me just fine.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I just changed one of two of my batteries. The other one is still good. They've been in the boat since 2007. They are odyssey batteries and run about $300 each but if they last me 7-8 years each then they're worth it to me. I have two amps, two 10's and 6 speakers.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I have an Optima Blue Top in mine and when it dies I will most likely be running an Interstate

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
For what its worth I have 3 Odessys in my boat that are now 5 years old and going strong. I have never had a battery last like these, Interstate, Optima or other. They are on an onboard charger/tender which I have heard helps batteries last.

With my luck, now that I commented they will die....

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just changed one of two of my batteries. The other one is still good. They've been in the boat since 2007. They are odyssey batteries and run about $300 each but if they last me 7-8 years each then they're worth it to me. I have two amps, two 10's and 6 speakers.

For what its worth I have 3 Odessys in my boat that are now 5 years old and going strong. I have never had a battery last like these, Interstate, Optima or other. They are on an onboard charger/tender which I have heard helps batteries last.

With my luck, now that I commented they will die....

I have heard great things about the Odysseys, I know they aren't cheap. What model are you guys using?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
For those who have long service life batteries, consider picking up an anti-sulfation charger. By using the ASC for 24 hours every few months, you can probably double your battery life and ASCs are relatively cheap.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I have had the optimas and they have been great. If I change I would have to replace my custom bling battery boxes. :)

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I have heard great things about the Odysseys, I know they aren't cheap. What model are you guys using?

I don't know model cannot see the top of them they are covered by the holder/step..... They are the same size as an Optima if that helps.... Again I have 3 batterys and a pretty sizable stereo and the stereo can play for many hours at pretty loud setting and no problem running out of juice. My system has 3 Alpine PDX amps which I understand are super efficient.

Scott E

Reaction score
Two blue top Optimas with an onboard charger. Batteries have been in boat since it was built in late 2006.

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
Usually run two blue top Optima's, I have no idea what is in the boat now as I just picked it up, but i will change out to the optima's. Two amps, plenty of speakers, and never had an issue with the optima's

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have been running 2 walmarts for 5 years now. About the cheapest and always easy to find a place to return them if need be. I had one in a K5 blazer that went 9 years in the Az desert.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
For those who have long service life batteries, consider picking up an anti-sulfation charger. By using the ASC for 24 hours every few months, you can probably double your battery life and ASCs are relatively cheap.

I completely agree. I have similar set-up with a solar charging system on the pontoon which stays in the water all the time and has no option for shore power. The batteries are at 14.4 every time in get in the boat even after a long previous day running the stereo in a cove somewhere.

On the Schiada I have a 3amp setup (desulfation) that keeps them topped up as well but as it stays in the garage I have an AC system there. I got at least 6 years on regular Interstates in the last boat and oly changed them due to age as they both still we're great on a load test.

I swear by desulfation as it works great.....BTW got 8 years out of my Harley battery with the se set-up.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I haven't done any comparisons of desulfators. I have a Schumacher charger that claims to desulfate and I have an OptiMate 6. The Schumacher doesn't seem to do anything. The OptiMate yielded results in a couple of days.

It would be tough to do a roundup because you would have to have a group of batteries with the identical levels of sulfation with which to test multiple desulphation devices. I don't know of how that could be done.

Anyway, I started a thread on the OptiMate 6. They have tons of positive testimonials.

It seems apparent desulphators are not all created equally.

One guy on Amazon raved about how it saved his battery he thought was dead. He wrote that it's a must have device. ... and he rated it 4 out of 5 stars. :D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Run 2 Odyssey PC2150's in the big boat.

Run 2 Optimas in the small boat.

UD

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Going into our 4th boating season with Optima M31's Blue tops and they are holding strong.
The trick with the AGM deep cycle is a charger on AGM mode.

The M31 is more powerful and better spex than the next size up, and they fit in a Size 27 holder or battery box.
The draw back is they are expensive, but they do go on sale.
I buy direct from Optima. Factory fresh goes their tale. Damfino.
Sometimes Free shipping, and sometimes free charger included.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
That reminds me, Ross. A couple of years ago, you were asking me about Optima charging and how much finish current needs to be pumped into Optima AGMs. I guessed it would be a low number but you spoke with Optima and it was a surprisingly high amount of finish current.

It didn't add up until I realized that over charging is one cure for sulphation. I have a hunch that is their strategy.

I don't treat my Optimas in any special way, other than to avoid over charging them. I have five year old Optima red tops in my truck. Those are the only Optima batteries I have, anymore.

I'm going to test them with the OptiMate one of these days and see what the internal resistance of those batteries is. They aren't as strong as they used to be so it will be interesting to see if the OptiMate can revive them.

Some guys on the solar forums run the same lead acid batteries over 10 years by just maintaining the fluid and occasional desulphation. It will be interesting to see if desulphation can extend the longevity of Optimas.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys, keep it coming!

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I have been running 2 walmarts for 5 years now. About the cheapest and always easy to find a place to return them if need be. I had one in a K5 blazer that went 9 years in the Az desert.

Ran 2 Dual Purpose Group 24s that I got from Wally World in April 2002 & never had one issue. Dad made me change them out in 2010 because some douchebag (that couldn't tell a cable from a hose) he knows changes his overpriced colored AMG batteries every year. So my dad bought said brand, and they and on day 735 the batteries would no longer take a charge.

Went back to WM and bought 2 Dual Purpose Group 24s been running fine since!

I just bought 2 DPG24 Duralast :rolleyes (the ORTs in my mini cruiser would no longer take a charge) because WM no longer carries Marine Dual Purpose batteries just Deep Cycle and Starting.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That reminds me, Ross. A couple of years ago, you were asking me about Optima charging and how much finish current needs to be pumped into Optima AGMs. I guessed it would be a low number but you spoke with Optima and it was a surprisingly high amount of finish current.

It didn't add up until I realized that over charging is one cure for sulphation. I have a hunch that is their strategy.

I don't treat my Optimas in any special way, other than to avoid over charging them. I have five year old Optima red tops in my truck. Those are the only Optima batteries I have, anymore.

I'm going to test them with the OptiMate one of these days and see what the internal resistance of those batteries is. They aren't as strong as they used to be so it will be interesting to see if the OptiMate can revive them.

Some guys on the solar forums run the same lead acid batteries over 10 years by just maintaining the fluid and occasional desulphation. It will be interesting to see if desulphation can extend the longevity of Optimas.

Not a lot of current but a lot of time on the charge.
I think it's all done at a pulsing 2 amp, then at a certain %, the finish charging is like 4 more hours for 4 M31's.
Takes a long time to recharge 4 M31 Optimas.

Best source of info is from Pro Mariner Chargers.
They got right back to me with the straight scoop.
Optima was no help what-so-ever.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Not a lot of current but a lot of time on the charge.

Hence, a lot of current. That will keep the cells at a slightly elevated temperature for a relatively period of time. It is also likely to cause a tiny amount of evaporation of water from the emulsion. That's probably an equitable trade, to keep sulfation to a minimum.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
So,, what kinda contradicts it is if I fire up the generator or main propulsion, the Merc 8.2's use a monster alternator,, the batteries are full charged in about 20 minutes or less.

Yeah, forum experts constantly quote the 10A max charging limit. :D

If your battery is at 50% storage capacity and you fire up your vehicle (that's the lowest recommended discharge for a standard battery with 80% discharge for a deep cycle), you can be sure it's pushing out a lot more than 10A.

The difference is, an alternator will reduce current proportionally as the battery reaches a fully charged state so it's not trying to drive in 20A of current long after the battery is fully charged like an old school charger would do.

Smart chargers typically have three fixed charge rates: bulk, absorption, and float. It's a different type of charging.

The point is, any automotive battery can take 50A of charge, no problem, when it's low. It just can't take it as it approaches a full charge.