WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1993 21RC 548/Bravo Project

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Waiting for pistons SUX!
Looking good Barry!

It's not bad when you get nice pieces like this, with the exact dome size you require for the compression ratio you want.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Barry just about has this deal wrapped up.....

Now I need to start buying the parts needed to complete the motor (carb, throttle linkage,fuel pump,water lines etc...)

Also looking for a good place to dyno that offers fair RDP member pricing.

Attachments

• DSCN8287.jpg
    DSCN8287.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 76

fmo24

Reaction score
Looks good. You are really moving along quickly on this :thumbsup

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Looks good. You are really moving along quickly on this :thumbsup

Thanks....

Not sure I would call it fast paced at this point but we will keep plugging along.

I just re read my first post and I can guarantee that budget is now out the window. I'm still in it for a great price considering the motor needed a little more than we thought and I was able to sell other parts and find some cmi headers for a deal.

Basically we have decided to go pretty much all new with everything.

Probably going to do full hydraulic steering and perhaps new tabs.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks....

Not sure I would call it fast paced at this point but we will keep plugging along.

I just re read my first post and I can guarantee that budget is now out the window. I'm still in it for a great price considering the motor needed a little more than we thought and I was able to sell other parts and find some cmi headers for a deal.

LOL. Yea, you learn fast that this shit adds up very quick.

BMABITY

Reaction score
I could have put together a decent boat for my original budget.....

When it's all said and done I only want to mess with this bitch once:D:skull

Wow! I can only dream of having a project like this. Good luck and hope to see it on the water one day.... :thumbup:

X Hoser

Reaction score
I could have put together a decent boat for my original budget.....

When it's all said and done I only want to mess with this bitch once:D:skull

Schiada and Budget can never be used in the same sentence! Someone once said "we'd be in a shit load of trouble if we actually SOLD our boats for what we told the wives we have in them!" :yikes

Malik

Reaction score
Thanks....

Great project, looking forward to seeing what hydraulic steering set up you go with, please keep tabs on the cost of everything. When you are done would love to see break down on cost of doing something like this. I have a 24 v-drive Spectra just screaming for a make over.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Alright this story has taken a pretty big turn in the last week......

I put some calls out to get quotes on re gelling the 21 last week. I ended up talking to 2 of the 3 recomended shops around the boating forums.

I advised that I wanted a full gel job and pointed out the trouble areas and prior holes that need a little work before we get started. I also advised that I wanted the floor removed in the motor compartment so it looked like most of the other schiadas out there.....The bilge would be color matched like the rest of the boat.

First call was to islander.....Its been a couple weeks and I am still waiting for a return call for the message I left.

Second call was to Kevin at KMG Boats. Kevin answered the phone right away and seemed quite willing to help me out with the project. There is no dubt in my mind that we were on the same page as to what I wanted out of the boat and I think it would have turned out extremely impressive with the custom touches and vision I wanted to throw at it. His timeline was the best of the bunch and he said he could get working on it in the next 30 days after he finished up a couple big DCB projects. He quoted me $15,000 and assured me that he would work with me to keep the budget intact as we pressed forward. He recomended a gel up to the rub rail and paint on the top deck.........I have no doubt that this would have been a good choice and he also said he could get the interior handled.

Next call was to Kornowskis in Lake Havasu. There is a reason Scott is the go to guy for schiadas. He once again answered on the first call and was great at explaining his no compromise process. I once again layed out all that I wanted done and he advised that he only does full caps on boats. I hadn't planned on a full cap and wanted a stainless rub rail but after talking to Scott I was no longer woirried about damaging a full capped boat and he assured me the boat is way stronger that way. Lets be hoonest a full cap looks flat out sick and for the price he quoted I actually felt like the work he was doing was a decent deal. He quopted me 18-22K for the project and said that gel was the only way to go. I actually liked talking with Scott as our personalities are similar. He basically said I could have it any way I wanted as long as it was done right and something he agreed to do...lol (we both laughed about this after I told him he sounded like my wife:D) There is no doubt that they are busy and he made it very clear that he wouldn't be able to get me in until after the first of the year due to current work loads....smart move by not over booking what the shop can handle.

So basically I don't think you can go wrong with either of the 2 above mentioned shops. Both guys were great on the phone and I have zero doubts they would deliver on there promises. I would say that based on my limited interactions that kevin would be great to work with on a custom build or gel job and that Scott would be tha man to see if you were looking to have a schiada capped.

After these phone calls I sat down and really started putting numbers to paper so I could see where this was going and wrap my head around what the actuall cost to completely rebuild a 21 schiada to what I wanted was going to cost.........here is my math and I'm sure I am forgetting some stuff.

$10,000 for boat
$10,000 motor
$20,000 for gel
$ 4,000 for trailer
$ 5,000 for interior
$ 5,000 full hydralic steering
$ 500 steering wheel
$ $3000 trim tabs
$ 1500 gauges
$ 1500 stereo
$ 5000 rigging/wiring/misc (I could be off a ton here)

Without getting crazy I am at $65,000 pretty easy. If you know me and have seen my pattern of buying and selling stuff you will understand that I don't keep things forever. By no means am I 2forcefull but I deffinatley like to spread it around a tad. I can't wrap my head around being $65,000 deep in a boat that will maybe be worth $35,000 when all is said and done. Bacially I would have to be married to the boat for the rest of my life to justify the expense. I also got the impression with time tables for getting stuff done taht there is just no way this boat would be back on the water next summer. This would have ended up being a 2+ year build and I just don't have the paitence for that:(

So last tuesday I sent my dad an email with my thoughts and he said he was thinking the same thing. At this point it makes fiancial sense for us to stop the build and sell off the project and move on towards something else.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So this leads us to last thursday......

After making the decision to move on I have been on the look out for a new family boat that is nice and still suitable for some go fast upgrades.

Enter the 1996 Hallett 210 closed bow that just popped up for sale. I have always loved the 210's and its hard to find someone that isn't a fan.

Plan is to enjoy the boat as is after Paul (od1) services it until the first of the year. After that it will go to the shop for full hydralic steering,drive upgrades,foot throttle and installation of the obnoxious 548 ci motor. I will handle adding all new gauges and a stereo and have it back on the water by may.

Attachments

• IMG_20140920_094805_880.jpg
    IMG_20140920_094805_880.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20140920_110241_578.jpg
    IMG_20140920_110241_578.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20140920_184954_535.jpg
    IMG_20140920_184954_535.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 74

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Good choice. That's a nice boat.

It was in good condition for the age....

Interior is amazingly nice.....solid 9/10 after some cleaning.

Gel is in good shape with a small little rub area (about the size of a nickel) on the drivers rear corner. I was able to buff the boat out to the point where it looks really really nice. It was a little oxidized on the grey parts of the gel. Overall I would say the gel is a 8/10. My dad and I went through it and tightened up all the nuts/bolts on the entire boat so it should be solid.

I am starting from scratch as far as maintanence records. Paul is going to go through it and we will see where it stands. I was told it has 400 hours on it but the hour meter says 700? I'm guessing it's gotta be closer to 400 as that would be a ton of hours on a 454 magnum.....seemed to run good so we shall see

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
You never know. I had close to 1000 hours on my old 454 mag in my Howard when I sold it and that thing ran like a champ.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I think you would have been north of $75K all said and done, especially if you went full interior and triple axle on the trailer. (Full interior with hatch, side curtains and carpet closer to $10K. Converting your trailer to a Triple axle done right probably $7-8K). The "little stuff" really adds up fast!

Nothing against out drives but I believe v-drives will support the cost better. Those of us that have built them know the cost and time to do it right. I was also off the water 2 years building it.

Your new boats looks real nice and will be a ton of fun.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think you would have been north of $75K all said and done, especially if you went full interior and triple axle on the trailer. (Full interior with hatch, side curtains and carpet closer to $10K. Converting your trailer to a Triple axle done right probably $7-8K). The "little stuff" really adds up fast!

Nothing against out drives but I believe v-drives will support the cost better. Those of us that have built them know the cost and time to do it right. I was also off the water 2 years building it.

Your new boats looks real nice and will be a ton of fun.

I wouldn't have gone triple axle.

I actually really like your interior and was planning to use arko originally. You telling me you are 10K deep for interior on your boat?:yikes

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
just out of curiousity what would ballpark be on a 93 schiada minus drive, motor, and interior? :D ive got nothing but time and a whole bahner worth of new stuff to move over...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
just out of curiousity what would ballpark be on a 93 schiada minus drive, motor, and interior? :D ive got nothing but time and a whole bahner worth of new stuff to move over...

It has a fresh drive and imco single ram hydralic steering.....

RD says list it at 13K

??

Something like this would be right up your alley. You could get it back on the water for a resonable price. Non skid is perfect and the gel is usable and could be nice with a nice buff and two minor repairs to the hatch hinge area. new stainless runrail and your in business.

28skater

Reaction score

RD says list it at 13K

I would probably take 10K

Something like this would be right up your alley. You could get it back on the water for a resonable price. Non skid is perfect and the gel is usable and could be nice with a nice buff and two minor repairs to the hatch hinge area. new stainless runrail and your in business.

This Stoker might be worth taking a look at http://www.performanceboats.com/boats-sale/227978-2000-stoker-224-sst.html or the Hallett Vector in the RDP classified, good luck:thumbup:

FrznJim

Reaction score

I actually really like your interior and was planning to use arko originally. You telling me you are 10K deep for interior on your boat?:yikes

Sounds like you made a wise decision. Rick is right about interior costs. I paid 10k for the interior on my 21RC, four years ago. That was without seat bases and carpet nor any hardware.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a wise decision. Rick is right about interior costs. I paid 10k for the interior on my 21RC, four years ago. That was without seat bases and carpet nor any hardware.

Fuck. That much? At that price it may be a long time before I do mine.

TBulger

Reaction score
Brandin, how about the Schiada and your wife for a 24? Alright, alright, you can keep the schiada, I really just want the wife anyway. :D

X Hoser

Reaction score

Without pulling the invoice I want to say it was $9800 and some change. Everything 100% new. All french stitch. 40oz carpet. dual hatch rams. Hidden hinges, no short-cuts. All I can say is you get what you pay for and the bad taste of a poor job will linger in your mouth much longer than the taste of an expensive job. Absolutely NO issues with Bill which is worth a ton right there.

I have referred two other Schiada owners to Bill who had him do their interiors. They are in them about the same price considering the work they had done. Yea it's expensive, but what isn't on boats :grumble:

RaceTec

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this build!

Wish my spectra was sold so that I could buy it from you!!!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

RD says list it at 13K

I would probably take 10K

a very respectable price. id love to get in it but im lookin for something a little more bare/project. i dont doubt you'll have a line of people looking to buy it.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this build!

Wish my spectra was sold so that I could buy it from you!!!

The motor and your pistons will live on...truth be told it might even work better/faster in this hull;):)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
a very respectable price. id love to get in it but im lookin for something a little more bare/project. i dont doubt you'll have a line of people looking to buy it.

I am going to list it in the next week or two...we will see what happens:)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thanks

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Ran it a decent amount this weekend.

Best we saw was 71-72 mph on the phone gps. Pretty fun boat I like it:)

RaceTec

Reaction score
The boat looked great, we saw you guys going the other way a few times last weekend.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Croz

Reaction score

After making the decision to move on I have been on the look out for a new family boat that is nice and still suitable for some go fast upgrades.

Enter the 1996 Hallett 210 closed bow that just popped up for sale. I have always loved the 210's and its hard to find someone that isn't a fan.

Plan is to enjoy the boat as is after Paul (od1) services it until the first of the year. After that it will go to the shop for full hydralic steering,drive upgrades,foot throttle and installation of the obnoxious 548 ci motor. I will handle adding all new gauges and a stereo and have it back on the water by may.

I didn't see this When I asked your new route, but ya bitchin boat again. I have full hydraulic steering in my 210 and its fuggin awesome, it turns and glides through chop effortlessly. Are you going to install bigger trim tabs with the 548 pushing it?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I didn't see this When I asked your new route, but ya bitchin boat again. I have full hydraulic steering in my 210 and its fuggin awesome, it turns and glides through chop effortlessly. Are you going to install bigger trim tabs with the 548 pushing it?

The tabs are still a question.....definitely maybe if needed.

I think it's going to need a shorty drive to raise the x dimension with the added power.

I got the best results with the tabs a hair down with the boat trimmed a little below a 1/4 on the gauge.

Boat did not like that much trim and would slow down. I thought that was weird as my last boat loved trim....more the better

Maybe it's the 3 blade 25 prop?

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score

Fuck me thats nice! Last pic is awesome...WellDone!