WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1993 21RC 548/Bravo Project

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
If you're gonna go that far might as well fill all the holes and turn it into a v-drive like it should be. Lol

Maybe when you guys go in for your two for one special at the glass shop, they can make his an open bow and you can use the materials to fill yours in. I/O open bow....v-drive closed bow like it should be. :D

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
There is no hope for you...first the doyers and then the panther jet...lol

LOL...It's real easy. If I wanted to go fast, I wouldn't own a jet. Could careless. And I love river boating and smaller boats. Next boat.....a deck or pontoon to haul the party. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It's almost go time!!

Attachments

• DSCN8236.jpg
    DSCN8236.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN8235.jpg
    DSCN8235.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN8234.jpg
    DSCN8234.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 75

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
My boat has just under 400 and runs right around 70. I have little doubt if I put a 600 HP small block in it I'd be right at 90. With a BBC I'd guess mid 80's.

So, you want to split hairs? I said low 80's and you said mid......what if my low 80's was 84 mph? What would your 'mid' 80's be?

:D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Not quite sure. I have some stuff in mind.

Guaranteed it will be something that will look good today and 20 years from now.:)

Nice! Will you be keeping the non-skid?

Are you going to do a traditional Schiada interior?

Something like this or a different style?

Schaida 370.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

View attachment 361214

Keeping non skid

Undecided on interior.....

I kind of want a best of both worlds interior so we will see. The hard core guys will hate me but I am considering something a little fresher. I think it would look good with a slightly more modern seat and I think a gelled seat back would look awesome.

Shall see.....thats a ways away right now:)

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 337

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

View attachment 361214

Saving this pic as I plan on doing mine similar to this. But I may have to add some stripes to it to give it a more old school look to go with my ancient ride.

Hammer

Reaction score
Keeping non skid

I kind of want a best of both worlds interior so we will see. The hard core guys will hate me but I am considering something a little fresher. I think it would look good with a slightly more modern seat and I think a gelled seat back would look awesome.

Are you thinking high back seats like the picture ? And if you are thinking of doing a gelled seat back you surely can afford to have the bottom blueprinted ! Lol :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Are you thinking high back seats like the picture ? And if you are thinking of doing a gelled seat back you surely can afford to have the bottom blueprinted ! Lol :D

No idea....I could change my mind 100x between now and then. If it doesn't work I won't force it

fmo24

Reaction score
Keeping non skid

I really like the high back seats Nordic is putting out with a gel coat back. Would not not look to out of place in your boat but still different

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Keeping non skid

It's your boat and project. Do what ya want! I'd go with old school, but that's me.

I look forward to watching the continued progress. :thumbsup

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
88mph which is what the boat is going to run:D:skull
:yikes

Hmm,, you are optimistic, maybe shoulda kept that blower! But then again, we may squeeze a little more than 600 hp out of this little engine?

FrznJim

Reaction score
88mph which is what the boat is going to run:D:skull
:yikes

I'm gonna have to switch my v-drive over to an I/O. I'm not seeing that with a 760 hp twin turbo...is that on or off the trailer? :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Hmm,, you are optimistic, maybe shoulda kept that blower! But then again, we may squeeze a little more than 600 hp out of this little engine?

I'm gonna have to switch my v-drive over to an I/O. I'm not seeing that with a 760 hp twin turbo...is that on or off the trailer? :)

Were bench racing fellas....:D

Honestly I have no idea what its going to do but based on info I can find on other I/o boats it should run in the 80's.

Shall see that's the exciting part about building a new boat.:cool::thumbup:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Were bench racing fellas....:D

Honestly I have no idea what its going to do but based on info I can find on other I/o boats it should run in the 80's.

Shall see that's the exciting part about building a new boat.:cool::thumbup:

That things gonna go 72 and probably have a nasty chine walk. Lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That things gonna go 72 and probably have a nasty chine walk. Lol

Atleast it will look pretty sitting on the trailer like the rest of the family:D

If the boat tops out at 70mph I'm putting a wake board tower on it...lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Barry got the Block all prepared and ready for assembly....

In typical obnoxious fashion the rough edges were cleaned up befoe he painted the block gloss black.

Attachments

• DSCN8246.jpg
    DSCN8246.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN8244.jpg
    DSCN8244.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN8242.jpg
    DSCN8242.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN8241.jpg
    DSCN8241.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 63

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
More Block prep....

Attachments

• DSCN8240.jpg
    DSCN8240.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN8241.jpg
    DSCN8241.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN8248.jpg
    DSCN8248.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8245.jpg
    DSCN8245.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 64

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Starting assembly...

Attachments

• DSCN8239.jpg
    DSCN8239.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN8238.jpg
    DSCN8238.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN8253.jpg
    DSCN8253.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8252.jpg
    DSCN8252.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8251.jpg
    DSCN8251.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8254.jpg
    DSCN8254.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8255.jpg
    DSCN8255.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 60

Backlash

Reaction score
The motor is looking good! It's nice to see someone spend a little extra time softening the edges and deburring the corners prior to paint and assembly. I'm a firm believer that "It's all in the details." :) Thanks for posting updates and keeping us in the loop.

Henry

obnoxious001

Reaction score
The motor is looking good! It's nice to see someone spend a little extra time softening the edges and deburring the corners prior to paint and assembly. I'm a firm believer that "It's all in the details." :) Thanks for posting updates and keeping us in the loop.

Henry

Even more than being just cosmetic, it also keeps you from ripping your skin on the sharp stuff when you are cleaning the boat. The Gen 6 blocks are not too bad compared to old MK IV blocks, but the 4 bosses that must be for locating the blocks when they are machined are awful pointy, so I cut the corners off and radius them to make it easier to handle.

More "details" to follow, this one will be pretty nice!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Some more updates.....

Barry keeps plowing ahead towards completing this thing. Just a couple small things left and it should be completed in the next week.

He painted the oil pan and dampner as the previous owner used some mexi chrome on a pretty nice high dollar double keyed dampner...much better now.

Heads are fully assembled and he shimmed the springs to matching specs. Turns out the fresh valves were never lapped and the valve spring pressure was a little off as well.

Cam is installed and timing chain and cover are done.

I think he has most everything in hand. He said that he was going to disassemble the oil pump to make sure its 100% right before he buttons everything up.

Attachments

• DSCN8258.jpg
    DSCN8258.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN8260.jpg
    DSCN8260.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN8262.jpg
    DSCN8262.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8264.jpg
    DSCN8264.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If I have learned anything regarding motors is to spend the money to do it right the first time. This motor by no means is a special 1500hp high dollar build but I am stoked with the care and precision that Barry is putting into it.This motor was advertised as "fresh" and would have grenaded in the first couple hours if someone didn't pull it all the way down and start fresh.

Don't tell Barry but I think the price he charges for building a motor is a steal and anyone that dosent check out what he can do is making a foolish desicion.

Attachments

• DSCN8268.jpg
    DSCN8268.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN8269.jpg
    DSCN8269.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8270.jpg
    DSCN8270.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 53

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
more

Attachments

• DSCN8271.jpg
    DSCN8271.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8272.jpg
    DSCN8272.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55

Backlash

Reaction score
You summed it up with the comment "Better to spend the money to do it right the first time."

My buddy at work has had nothing but problems with his engine. Three years worth of problems and it is now back in the shop for it's fourth tear-down. The motor has less than 10 hours on it and is naturally aspirated. It is nothing special. I think he has tried to get a "Good deal" and it seems like it has ruined most of his river trips for the past three years. I'm glad to see you're not duplicating his thought process.

He may end up being a new customer of Barry's sooner than later.

Thanks again for sharing the pics. of the build. It looks great and I cant wait to see it sitting back in your boat!

Henry

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
You summed it up with the comment "Better to spend the money to do it right the first time."

My buddy at work has had nothing but problems with his engine. Three years worth of problems and it is now back in the shop for it's fourth tear-down. The motor has less than 10 hours on it and is naturally aspirated. It is nothing special. I think he has tried to get a "Good deal" and it seems like it has ruined most of his river trips for the past three years. I'm glad to see you're not duplicating his thought process.

He may end up being a new customer of Barry's sooner than later.

Thanks again for sharing the pics. of the build. It looks great and I cant wait to see it sitting back in your boat!

Henry

Barry has been in the game for a very long time. There is no doubt in my mind that he has forgot more about building motors than I will ever know.

Long before I had this project I followed along with his builds and knew he would be the guy I used if I was ever in the market for a motor build. I can't think of a single engine problem out of all of the threads I have researched that can be traced back to an error he made. That is what sold me on using him as a builder and honestly I am more confident today after our interactions than I was when this started.

He dosen't play around when it comes to doing it right. All components were blanced speced correctly before they went back in the block.....There is no way that was the case when this motor was originally thrown together.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry has been in the game for a very long time. There is no doubt in my mind that he has forgot more about building motors than I will ever know.

I probably should write up what's going on in some of the photos, like checking camshaft endplay with the dial indicator. I took the day off and ran up to Parker for the day today, back tonight, will slip one of the heads on and see if the pushrods they had will work properly, other than that ready to get it finished up in the next couple of days.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I know I'm doing a sub par job of describing the entire process in detail but here is another update.

Oil pump was dissasembled and inspected before being put back together and then the pan was installed with stainless bolts. Barry also marked the dip stick for oil level as this wasn't done on the previous build.

TDC was found and then Barry installed and marked the dampner. He also degreed the cam 4 degrees ahead to shift the powerband to where its needed and allow for slack in the timing cjhain as it stretches.

Heads were test fit to verify push rod geometry.....I think were good with the old puch rods so that will save me a nice chunk.

Final assembley should be complete in the next couple days:)

Attachments

• DSCN8275.jpg
    DSCN8275.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8276.jpg
    DSCN8276.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8277.jpg
    DSCN8277.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN8280.jpg
    DSCN8280.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN8281.jpg
    DSCN8281.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 54

obnoxious001

Reaction score
TDC was found and then Barry installed and marked the dampner.

Tiny correction on this part, damper was installed and then TDC verified. It's difficult, or impossible to install a damper without moving the crank a little due to the rotational force of the installation tool. You can see it's still in place and what I used to rotate the engine to find TDC. Also, you may note that I am on #6 piston instead of #1, merely because I had the cylinder head on the odd bank to mock up to check pushrods. You can see the tiny pieces of masking tape I used as temporary marks either side of TDC while the pointer was adjusted so I didn't mess up the fresh black paint job. In the middle is the mark with silver sharpie that should be easy to spot with a timing light.

With stock GM damper and pointer, most of the time the mark is pretty close. Here we are using an IMCO timing cover with adjustable pointer, and an Australian made damper, so it's fairly critical to check. I rebuilt one particular engine that had a timing mark off 6 degrees one time, and was actually the reason it came to me for rebuild with burned pistons,, 6 degrees on top of the 34 degrees they thought it was set it meant it was really at 40 degrees advanced with a small blower on it.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
It makes me happy every time I see screens installed in the the lifter galley :thumbsup

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
This is gonna be an awesome boat.This is gonna the 1st build ive ever viewed from start to completion.I dont know shit bout OD Schidas.OD1 has one.Thats all i need to know.Your sense of humor is awesome.You might have to lose that when its done to fit in. lol There is no better props to/of an engine builder when you post of how fast AND the attn to detail your shit is getting done.Cant wait to see more...

obnoxious001

Reaction score
It makes me happy every time I see screens installed in the the lifter galley :thumbsup

The screens were already in it.

I know several well known engine builders that are going away from screens due to restricting oil return to the bottom end. Roller lifters seem to have better endurance now days. One engine I rebuilt early this year the lifter lost a roller, which of course was below the screens so they did no good at all anyway.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
The screens were already in it.

I know several well known engine builders that are going away from screens due to restricting oil return to the bottom end. Roller lifters seem to have better endurance now days. One engine I rebuilt early this year the lifter lost a roller, which of course was below the screens so they did no good at all anyway.

Understood, I like them as I have seen a couple of motors saved with them and unfortunately know one that grenaded from a poly lock getting smacked by the crank and trying to go exit stage right. With some of the troubles I have had with roller rockers failing and such, I will keep it part of my builds, but will be mindful of the oil restriction as something to watch for. :thumbsup

obnoxious001

Reaction score
here is no better props to/of an engine builder when you post of how fast AND the attn to detail your shit is getting done.

The speed with which the engine gets done is directly related to machine shop, balance shop, cam grinder and the wait for custom pistons. This one took a bit longer since we took the block to the shop and then ultimately rejected it and found another. After all of that is done, it's a matter of about 30 hours or so labor time to put it together, assuming no problems or hiccups.