WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

best 7.3 powerstroke performance upgrades?

BMABITY

Reaction score
I already have the Edge programmer, intake and exhaust. Any other upgrades worth doing?

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I've had three buddies all replace their HPOP (high pressure oil pump) and they said it was a night and day difference. That pump is prone to failure at 100k+ miles...

I don't have to worry about that stuff because my diesel only has 6 cylinders...:D

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Garrett ball bearing turbo, larger injectors, and pulse HPOP or a dual HPOP set up. Get the FASS fuel delivery system also.

Be careful though. You will definitely make your tranny the weak link with the more power you add.

E4L

Reaction score
I've had three buddies all replace their HPOP (high pressure oil pump) and they said it was a night and day difference. That pump is prone to failure at 100k+ miles...

I don't have to worry about that stuff because my diesel only has 6 cylinders...:D

300k on mine haven't touched my oil pump

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
What are your power goals and what is your budget? Changing the compressor wheel will only help turbo surge, not add power.

If you're wanting to drop about 8-10k and get 500ish HP...

250/100 injectors frorm P.I.S.
HoneyBadger Jr HPOP
Regulated return fuel system
Garrett 38R turbo
Built transmission
Custom tunes

BMABITY

Reaction score
I have 170K on the truck now with original trans. I plan on having the trans rebuilt soon and Im figuring I should possibly do some upgrades.

I already bought new up-pipes to feed the turbo, figured those must be leaking, and just changed the compressor wheel. Im hope the up-pipes make a decent difference, the compressor wheel did. Currently have 3:55 gearing with 35" (heavy) tires, should I look into changing to 4:10's or not worth it on a diesel.

The HPOP, what does that cost?

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I believe the ported/dual stage HPOPs are around $500. If you're good it's something you can do, but the labor costs at a shop put the replacement costs around $1100 iirc...I've been in two of the three trucks that I know have had it done and it made a big difference in their drivability. Even if yours hasn't failed, I think it's worth it, especially to help save the $3200 in injectors...

Not sure where you're at, but we usually use Ultimate Truck Performance in Camarillo for anything that's over my head...

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I have a guy that is the ish. Pm me.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
If you don't already have a set of gauges get them.
For the HPOP contact Joey at Terminator Engineering in Modesto California. If you are mechanically inclined and can remove it and send it to him he can rebuild yours. Or he may have one on the shelf suitable for your needs. Tell him how you drive and what you use the truck for and he will take care of you. Tell him Jeff with the '97 Dually up by Grass Valley sent you.
The HEUI injectors in your 7.3 are driven by high pressure oil, and this is one of those cases where you can really improve throttle response and power from idle to redline with one bolt on piece.
Mike Farmer at Farmer's PErformance in Texas is the go to guy for injectors. Joey may have good contact info for him. He was going through some personal stuff and you might have to wait a bit, but his work is worth the wait.
DPTuner for the programming.
Jody is the man when it comes to tuning the 7.3 imho. Contact him and run your truck by him. Follow his suggestions. Get his system, an F5 or F-6 or his new deal, which will give you gauges in the screen. Then get on the mailing list for when hie will be out west again.
Even if you have to drive to Modesto, which is where he does come once a year, get the truck live tuned. It costs $500. He will spend half an hour talking to you, then a couple of hours riding around with you driving the truck while he creates tunes exactly built for your truck and your driving style. Live tuning is some of the best $ you can spend on your truck.
If you don't buy the trick new DPtuner deal with the screen and run standard gauges buy a scan gauge from Joey when you set up your HPOP. The scan gauge plugs into your OBD port and will allow you to read every parameter your PCM collects. It will also allow you to read and clear trouble codes.

Of course all of this is my opinion, based on my experience with my 7.3 and the ones my friends have.

E4L

Reaction score
If you don't already have a set of gauges get them.
For the HPOP contact Joey at Terminator Engineering in Modesto California. If you are mechanically inclined and can remove it and send it to him he can rebuild yours. Or he may have one on the shelf suitable for your needs. Tell him how you drive and what you use the truck for and he will take care of you. Tell him Jeff with the '97 Dually up by Grass Valley sent you.
The HEUI injectors in your 7.3 are driven by high pressure oil, and this is one of those cases where you can really improve throttle response and power from idle to redline with one bolt on piece.
Mike Farmer at Farmer's PErformance in Texas is the go to guy for injectors. Joey may have good contact info for him. He was going through some personal stuff and you might have to wait a bit, but his work is worth the wait.
DPTuner for the programming.
Jody is the man when it comes to tuning the 7.3 imho. Contact him and run your truck by him. Follow his suggestions. Get his system, an F5 or F-6 or his new deal, which will give you gauges in the screen. Then get on the mailing list for when hie will be out west again.
Even if you have to drive to Modesto, which is where he does come once a year, get the truck live tuned. It costs $500. He will spend half an hour talking to you, then a couple of hours riding around with you driving the truck while he creates tunes exactly built for your truck and your driving style. Live tuning is some of the best $ you can spend on your truck.
If you don't buy the trick new DPtuner deal with the screen and run standard gauges buy a scan gauge from Joey when you set up your HPOP. The scan gauge plugs into your OBD port and will allow you to read every parameter your PCM collects. It will also allow you to read and clear trouble codes.

Of course all of this is my opinion, based on my experience with my 7.3 and the ones my friends have.

Jordy comes to Modesto when? Does he have a schedule online some where.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
Terminator Engineering is definitely the place to go for the HPOPs!!! He does great work!

JD D05

Reaction score
1 BTS trans
2 Hypermax Intercooler / H2E turbo and Hypermax pedestal. Or upgrade to a Pius charger
3 terminator pumps
4 injectors

And live tune by Jody if possible.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
If you're just using it to tow, you're already on the right track. For towing, I would do an innercooler to keep EGTs down, gauges if you don't already, then upgrade the turbo with a Banks exhaust housing, Banks/wicked wheel compressor wheel, and Banks wastegate. Doing that is fairly inexpensive and will give you the power and reliability needed to tow. Now if you want all out performance and you're looking to hot rod the truck a little, then yeah do the HPOP and injectors etc on top of the previously mentioned items.

As far as the trans, if you're planning on going into it already (good idea), I would do some upgrades, put a larger/finned trans pan on it to help control temps, and change out the converter as the stock ones are prone to failure. I don't know if the Edge tuner also adjusts the trans shiftpoints and line pressures, but if not then the Banks Transcommand will really help the way the trans performs.

zhandfull

Reaction score
300k on mine haven't touched my oil pump

X2 unless it was done under warranty work. In fact 295k on my truck, stock with small lift and 35's from day one. Never had any issues with motor or trans.

Reactions: E4L

BMABITY

Reaction score
X2 unless it was done under warranty work. In fact 295k on my truck, stock with small lift and 35's from day one. Never had any issues with motor or trans.

295K on original trans? If so, damn that's great, you never hear about them going that far....:thumbup:

E4L

Reaction score

I know mine is on it's second tranny

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Mine had the tranny rebuilt when the torque converter went out on the previous owner around 115k. Just sitting at a stop light then hits the gas and the truck wouldn't move lol.

E4L

Reaction score
So this might be a dumb question but what does a HPOP do for you? I know it's a High Pressure Oil Pump

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
High Pressure oil feeds our injectors. The factory pumps are not feeding the system at an optimal rate, and they work too hard and are lazy. I have a Scangauge on my truck and with my Terminator pump can see 3300 PSI at 30% duty cycle, even with my rather large injectors. You won't see that with big injectors on a stock pump. Even with stock injectors the modded pumps make a huge increase in delivery rate and flow, which translates to vastly improved throttle response and HP.
Well worth the $ to call Joey at Terminator. Tell him Jeff from Grass Valley sent ya :D
Jody comes out to Terminator engineering once a year for a few days to do live tuning.
It is usually in the fall, after the Almond harvest.
Get your Terminator pump installed before you come up for the tuning session. I can send you a pm when he is scheduled, you'll need to make an appointment during that week as he is a busy guy all weekend. Spends about 2 hours on each session....

E4L

Reaction score
High Pressure oil feeds our injectors. The factory pumps are not feeding the system at an optimal rate, and they work too hard and are lazy. I have a Scangauge on my truck and with my Terminator pump can see 3300 PSI at 30% duty cycle, even with my rather large injectors. You won't see that with big injectors on a stock pump. Even with stock injectors the modded pumps make a huge increase in delivery rate and flow, which translates to vastly improved throttle response and HP.
Well worth the $ to call Joey at Terminator. Tell him Jeff from Grass Valley sent ya :D
Jody comes out to Terminator engineering once a year for a few days to do live tuning.
It is usually in the fall, after the Almond harvest.
Get your Terminator pump installed before you come up for the tuning session. I can send you a pm when he is scheduled, you'll need to make an appointment during that week as he is a busy guy all weekend. Spends about 2 hours on each session....
Please do if you don't mind

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
E4L I was told today that Jody has also come to John Wood Transmissions in SoCal in the past, but that JW didn't schedule it this past year. If you get with JW and get enough guys to commit to live tuning you might be able to save yourself a trip to lovely Modesto. If not, I will try to remember to let you know when he is coming this year to Joey's. I'll see if I can at least nail down the month for you this week.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Currently have 3:55 gearing with 35" (heavy) tires, should I look into changing to 4:10's or not worth it on a diesel.

I would regear, easier on your tranny and definitely help with towing and responsiveness.

E4L

Reaction score
E4L I was told today that Jody has also come to John Wood Transmissions in SoCal in the past, but that JW didn't schedule it this past year. If you get with JW and get enough guys to commit to live tuning you might be able to save yourself a trip to lovely Modesto. If not, I will try to remember to let you know when he is coming this year to Joey's. I'll see if I can at least nail down the month for you this week.

I live 20 mins from modesto. That would be my first choice haha:thumbsup