WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Claremont Wilderness park

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Who rides it?
I like Burbank over towards cobalt and then up to Potato Mtn. For me it was a
Total of 20.4mi travelled. I was on the saddle for 2:13 and had a grand total of
3,104ft climbed. Also, the drop in on the back side to Marshall canyon is pretty epic too. Here's
a pic from above the bee hives on top of Potato. Potato Mtn.jpg

wishiknew

Reaction score
Who rides it?
I like Burbank over towards cobalt and then up to Potato Mtn. For me it was a
Total of 20.4mi travelled. I was on the saddle for 2:13 and had a grand total of
3,104ft climbed. Also, the drop in on the back side to Marshall canyon is pretty epic too. Here's
a pic from above the bee hives on top of Potato. View attachment 343597

You are literally in my back yard !! I got a 4'. Mohave green there last friday so look out

Reaction score
The Marshall down hill is a blast. It has been a long time....are you in town?

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
You are literally in my back yard !! I got a 4'. Mohave green there last friday so look out

Grew up in these hills and used to drag race probably where you live now at the bottom of Padua. Lot's of snakes.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
The Marshall down hill is a blast. It has been a long time....are you in town?

Marshall is a blast for sure. I'll be back in town around the 4th of July ready to ride.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Where is the trail head at? I might want to meet up for a mid week ride on the way home from work:thumbup:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Cool thanks now when I'm in the area I can grab my bike. I work in all dif areas:thumbup:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Hey Wicky, when are we gonna do this again?

2 weeks ago I got sick on the ridge and had to lay flat on my back for about 10 minutes. Passer bys were pouring water on me. :D I want to crack the 30 minute mark, but so far I can't quite do it. :grumble:

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Hey Wicky, when are we gonna do this again?

2 weeks ago I got sick on the ridge and had to lay flat on my back for about 10 minutes. Passer bys were pouring water on me. :D I want to crack the 30 minute mark, but so far I can't quite do it. :grumble:

I'll be ready soon...dealing with cracked ribs and bruised spleen right now...been off the bike for a month. Fishing even hurts the ribs right now. Headed to play Torey Pines Sept 12-14 so, might head up to my parents with bike that is, if I don't fly to SD. Only way to get faster is to push harder. You'll get there. Make it a point to ride 5 days a week for two weeks and you'll see sub 30s. Was it just too hot or did you push too hard?

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Wicky?Pleeeease tell me you're not a Stravasshole? :)

Hah...why yes I am!! I think it's bitchin'. Especially when I'm kicking a lot of younger kids asses half my age. I have found myself to be in the top 10% of the general biking population. Not bad for taking a 20 yr hiatus and almost 50yrs old. I was riding nearly 50,000 vertical feet and over 500 miles a month until a few weeks ago. Strava is a great way to track my progress.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'll be ready soon...dealing with cracked ribs and bruised spleen right now...been off the bike for a month. Fishing even hurts the ribs right now. Headed to play Torey Pines Sept 12-14 so, might head up to my parents with bike that is, if I don't fly to SD. Only way to get faster is to push harder. You'll get there. Make it a point to ride 5 days a week for two weeks and you'll see sub 30s. Was it just too hot or did you push too hard?

Sounds good!

Yeah I was on medication for Bronchitis, I pushed too hard and it was fairly hot. :D

I had to step away from the bike for a week and now I'm just cruising up the mountain. I'll turn it back up when I feel 100% again. :thumbsup

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Hah...why yes I am!! I think it's bitchin'. Especially when I'm kicking a lot of younger kids asses half my age. I have found myself to be in the top 10% of the general biking population. Not bad for taking a 20 yr hiatus and almost 50yrs old. I was riding nearly 50,000 vertical feet and over 500 miles a month until a few weeks ago. Strava is a great way to track my progress.

Agreed, I use it "occasionally." I ride with guys generally half my age. I'm 53 and typically can hang with the fast guys in a group hammerfest of 2-3 hours. Road riding is different though. 20 minutes at the front and I'm trashed.

Steve

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wtf? Thought you were in Idaho! What you doing round these parts? I've hiked the Clairmont loop lots of times. Seems like it would be boring on a bike!

If you're still around here let me know. I can show you some single track trails to ride. ;)

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Wtf? Thought you were in Idaho! What you doing round these parts? I've hiked the Clairmont loop lots of times. Seems like it would be boring on a bike!

If you're still around here let me know. I can show you some single track trails to ride. ;)
I am in Idaho...My parents live in Claremont where I grew up riding all the fire roads and single track on my YZ 80 back in the 80s before the wilderness park was declared a wilderness park. Hell, my first Playboys were stashed up there!

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I run it once in a while.

This was the last time I was there. I prefer going up the steep side 1st. It's mush easier on the knees.

Attachments

• 10309032_246454825554491_3972995632519703640_n.jpg
    10309032_246454825554491_3972995632519703640_n.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 107

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

This was the last time I was there. I prefer going up the steep side 1st. It's mush easier on the knees.

AGreed...Going down Cobalt with running shoes can get you in trouble..But I love flying down that section on the bike especially over the ruts.

Wendi

Reaction score
I walk the 5 mile loop it's great exercise.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I ride it for the cardio workout not for the extreme mountain bike challenge. lol Plus, the scenery can be epic on that hill and I'm not talking about the landscape. ;)

Long live yoga pants!!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Copied from another mountain biking forum.

Update on Changes coming to Claremont Hills Wilderness Park.

I was invited to an ad-hoc information gathering meeting with the people who will formulate the plan for future use at the park (Again let me be clear that Marshall Canyon is not in Claremont so this only affects access to Marshall from the Claremont side)

The group consisted of residents who use the park frequently and I was asked to join to provide a mountain biker's perspective. The number one concern was, not surprisingly, conflicts between cyclist and walkers, close calls and actual wrecks where either a walker or a rider was hurt. Solutions that were proposed included:

Alternating days for walkers only and bikers only.
A separate trail for mountain bikers to descend which would be closed to hikers.
Hiring rangers to enforce a speed limit in the park.
Educating users about existing rules to limit conflicts between user groups.

There were many other topics discussed and it should be noted that many said they had positive associations with mountain bikers and that overcrowding was more of an issue than biker behavior.

So what can you do?

If you are inclined there are two public meetings coming up: Technical Advisory Committee workshop, Saturday October 11, 9 am, Hughes Center Padua Room: Community Workshop, Monday October 20, 6 pm Taylor Hall. There is public comment period at both meetings so if you have an opinion this is a good time to speak up.

Also the most important action we can take is paying attention to existing rules and trail etiquette. Many of you do these things already but try to avoid taking blind corners so fast that you startle another user; call out when approaching; dismount when approaching a horse; on single track when another user is heading the other way slow down and make a safe pass.

Lastly if you have a concern PM me because I will be at future private meetings and I can pass your thought along to the group.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Broke my record Friday, but still short of the 30 minute goal.

IMG_2342.PNG
IMG_2337.PNG

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If this is obolas new wilderness area, we have about three years left to enjoy it.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I ride it for the cardio workout not for the extreme mountain bike challenge. lol Plus, the scenery can be epic on that hill and I'm not talking about the landscape. ;)

True that! Gotta love the club war paint in yoga pants... I'm using that as my excuse for my slow run time.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

We do this run. But we start at a park off of Paduea (sp?) about 1 1/2 miles east. Run turns out to be a little over 8 miles. Let me know when you get down to low 8 averages;)

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
We rode Marshall on Tuesday and the loop today. A little crowded but not too bad.Anyway, this is what the loop in just over 1/2 hour looks like.

[video=youtube;yD7X5UyLLHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD7X5UyLLHo[/video]

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
That should make some people get off the couch and get riding. Good job Jerry :thumbup

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
That should make some people get off the couch and get riding. Good job Jerry :thumbup

Or more likely put some people to sleep. :D

Next time I'll post a fun Marshall canyon vid. :thumbup:

And thanks bud!

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Nice work Jerry. What is your Burbank 1st half time? You'll nip sub 30 before the year is over.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Time to work on your downhill!!! Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-50-24.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Nice work Jerry. What is your Burbank 1st half time? You'll nip sub 30 before the year is over.

Look at the splits

8:32 first mile and 12:10 second mile. I guess that's 20 minutes 42 seconds of Burbank incline then you get a break on the ridge which I crossed in 5:31. Coming down - 2:36 for what would be mile 4 and the last mile (5) 2:32. My best down hill to date is 2:20 give or take for each of the 2 miles down = 4:40 that's in perfect conditions and nobody to slow down for. I don't think I can improve on the down hill.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Just giving you a hard time!!

I rode the loop back to back last week for the 1st time. First lap in 34 and second in 39. I've been up there 3 times since then and I still can't break 30. :thumbsdown

I think it will take 2 weeks or more riding 3 times per week and a little luck with traffic coming down.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'm getting closer Wicky. The fastest female on Strava is 30:47 so I barely got under her. :D I like Strava much better than map my fitness.
The 2 top guys are under 20 minutes. I can't comprehend that.:D

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Awesome Jerry!!!!! I knew it was just a matter of time and improvement on your DH skills 8)

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Awesome Jerry!!!!! I knew it was just a matter of time and improvement on your DH skills 8)

Thanks brother. I got a 28:38 Wednesday. I got sick yesterday or I would climb potato mtn today.

Here's the downhill chart for ages 45 to 55. You're gonna have go ride this again so you're not showing 10th anymore. :D

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Thanks brother. I got a 28:38 Wednesday. I got sick yesterday or I would climb potato mtn today.

Here's the downhill chart for ages 45 to 55. You're gonna have go ride this again so you're not showing 10th anymore. :D

You are so right!!!