WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Campbell hull iD #'s

hamrock428

Reaction score
Just bought my first Campbell,Can I get some guidance on where the H.I.D.#s are located..... It's a 78 20ft DC

Strange Brew

Reaction score
You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, here's what the hull numbers mean. For the Hull Number CBL247800977, (my boat), The first 3 letters indicate the boat manufacturer (CBL). The next 2 numbers are the length of the boat, (24 ft.). The next 3 numbers indicate the consecutive number from boat number one built, (my boat is the 780th hull Campbell built). The next 2 numbers indicate the month the hull was built, (my boat was built in the 9th month, or September). The last 2 numbers indicate the year the hull was built, (my boat is a 1977).

I think all of the Hull numbers on all Campbell's are on the upper part of the transom on the starboard side. If there are no numbers on the hull, it's possible they could have been covered up in a re-gell, or it could be that the hull was not laid up at Campbell. There are some "splashes" and other things out there.

The Campbell web site has a list of hull numbers and their original owners; whoever ordered the boat. It's a good list, but it does not list EVERY hull Campbell made. I could not find mine, and I knew the original owner who ordered it. Campbell's list of owners and hulls was pretty loose back then.

Ciao

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I went out to look at mine I couldn't find the stamp. Now I'm curious
uploadfromtaptalk1404085519569.jpg

Strange Brew

Reaction score
Verrrrry interesting! I'm pretty sure that swim step did not come from Campbell, nor did its stainless supports. At least I've never seen them before. However, your boat DOES have the rare and desirable hex shaped cav plate bar or rod that Campbell used on some boats.

The exhaust holes in the transom on the pictures show them to be ABOVE the swim step; I'm not sure if Campbell rigged any boats like that. Those holes, if not "stock", could have been cut out if/when the transom was reglassed. Or, if the boat was splashed from a Campbell hull, these exhaust holes could have been cut in the original transom. Check the inside of the transom to see if there is any evidence that lower exhaust holes were filled.

There's a zillion other little details that would indicate whether or not the hull is a Campbell hull that was laid up at the Campbell factory and/or that it was rigged at Campbell.

WAIT!! I just remembered that this is a 20 ft.! Forget all the BS above about the exhaust holes! All that pertains to 24 ft Campbell's. However, it's STILL very interesting about the lack of numbers on the hull.

the lynch mob

Reaction score
Could the boat have been re gelled? On my Howard, which has been re gelled the serial # has been mostly filled.

cjbuilder1

Reaction score
You have a registration with any id #'s or name of original owner(s)?

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Ok other side... nothing
View attachment 347773

What year is your Campbell. I was told that HIN's weren't required to be stamped into the transom until 1972. So many boat manufacturer's wrote the hull ID/serial numbers on the stringers or on the inside of the transom.:)

I hope this helps.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
What year is your Campbell. I was told that HIN's weren't required to be stamped into the transom until 1972. So many boat manufacturer's wrote the hull ID/serial numbers on the stringers or on the inside of the transom.:)

I hope this helps.
its a 78

morethenone

Reaction score
Could the boat have been re gelled? On my Howard, which has been re gelled the serial # has been mostly filled.[/QUOHE ER WITH BOB & BILLY CAMPBELL YA NEVER NEW WHAT OR WHY & DEPENDED WHETHER IT WAS DONE BEFORE OR AFTER "LUNCH" THE LATER HULLS HAD THE ID # ON THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE TRANSOM HOWEVER I HAVE HAD SOME EARLY BOATS WITH THEM "INKED" ON THE RIGHT INNER STRINGER

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, here's what the hull numbers mean. For the Hull Number CBL247800977, (my boat), The first 3 letters indicate the boat manufacturer (CBL). The next 2 numbers are the length of the boat, (24 ft.). The next 3 numbers indicate the consecutive number from boat number one built, (my boat is the 780th hull Campbell built). The next 2 numbers indicate the month the hull was built, (my boat was built in the 9th month, or September). The last 2 numbers indicate the year the hull was built, (my boat is a 1977).

I think all of the Hull numbers on all Campbell's are on the upper part of the transom on the starboard side. If there are no numbers on the hull, it's possible they could have been covered up in a re-gell, or it could be that the hull was not laid up at Campbell. There are some "splashes" and other things out there.

The Campbell web site has a list of hull numbers and their original owners; whoever ordered the boat. It's a good list, but it does not list EVERY hull Campbell made. I could not find mine, and I knew the original owner who ordered it. Campbell's list of owners and hulls was pretty loose back then.

Ciao
This may have been the method the builder used at the time, but it is not "per USCG regulations". The "fourth digit from the back end" should be the letter that represents the month the hull was built. The "third digit from the back end" is the actual year the hull was built. The "last two digits are the model year" the builder designated for the hull in question.

morethenone

Reaction score
YA NEVER KNEW WHAT BOB & BILLY WERE GOING TO DO & MUCH DEPENDED ON WHETHER IT WAS BEFORE OR AFTER ....."LUNCH" BUT ON MOST OF THE LATER HULLS 1970 & NEWER THE ID# WAS LAYED UP IN THE MOLD ON THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE TRANSOM ON THE EARLY BOATS I HAVE HAD THEY
WERE "INKED" ON THE INSIDE OF THE RIGHT INNER STRINGER THE TITLE SHOULD REFLECT THE YEAR & MONTH THE BOAT WAS BUILT