WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My back...so tired of this.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
What kind of physical therapy are you going to get? Your right every case is different an I am dealing with a very unique one. I was very inactive because of heart problems and now I'm enrolled in a cardiac rehab class and also seeing a pain management Dr for a fucked up back. The problem is I can use a lot of the equipment in rehab but just can't get strong enough to walk 20 yards! I'm probably going to sell my boat because well I'm not strong enough to get in it.
Pain meds yea I'm sick of them

Due to inactivity with the extreme Level 8 pain for almost a year prior to surgery, the muscles in my lower back and legs atrophied. My goal was to return strength and stability to those areas. I received PT here in LHC. Began with a few in the pool sessions with the therapist, then moved on to the PT gym. Exercises were directed at re strengthening my lower back and legs. 1 hr sessions 3 days a week. That concluded in November of last year. I do core exersises at home. Don't do them as often as I should. Continue to experience early onset of fatigue when standing or walking. But, really no return of the extreme pain.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
FBT, you retired as a sergeant. If you would have held on a little longer and made the jump to lieutenant,you could have had the spine removal surgery that everyone, Lt and above gets. I never hear those guys talk about back pain because they all resemble jellyfish from having that bothersome backbone removed. Many of them do however, talk of frequent butt pain. All kidding aside, hope you find a remedy.

Unfortunately that illness has trickled down to the Sergeants level now....:thumbsdown

catman

Reaction score
Just got the results from my MRI. Worse than I thought even the dr. Was surprised. She said we need to get on this stat. And was shocked.

Discs between l3 l4 and l5 herniated. Nerve trauma as well as it affecting the spinal cord. [emoji107] looks like they will be giving me the good stuff now.
Riverbound,Be careful what you wish for!!!!!! You think you have problems now,wait till you start with pain meds!!!! I am not trying to give you any shit,but i have been going to pain management for 8 years.When you first start out on them they work great.Then you will need more and more and stronger meds to do the trick.After that you will need them just to feel normal.The pain docs will tell you that when you want to get off them they will just ween you off.. it is not that easy.I am sure anyone here that goes to pain management can tell you how that works!!!!! I have had injections,burning of the nerves and it only worked for a few days,Some people it works for 6 months.Do your homework and research before you go on pain meds.I am looking at a neck fusion and after that i hope i can be done with meds.Living with pain every day takes it's toll big time,but be careful..

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I take about 3200mg of ibuprofen a day. I'm trying to muscle through and not take so much. But I don't think in could fiction without it. I keep ice packs in my lunch pail and ice my back through out the day. As well as stretch constantly. It definitely helps....

I can send you some kratom samples if you would like to try some...it can help back and neck pain as it does for me.

HotRod82

Reaction score
FBT and everyone else suffering from back pain - Buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Naturally-Mind-Body/dp/0743424646/.
Simply put, it changed my life. 3 years ago I was in bad shape, most days I would lay on the floor sobbing.I had an MRI and the results showed a badly herniated disc above S1. The rest of my back (and health in general) still looked like I was in my 20's. I'm pretty sure the disc damage was from a motorcycle accident way back when I was a kid. I was told in no uncertain terms I needed a disc replacement immediately. Upon researching the procedure, I made up my mind surgery would be the last resort. This book can be a little out there with the meditation and such but it works miracles. The friend who gave it to me was bedridden in his 30's even after having a double laminectomy. He and I are both back to 98% health with virtually no pain ever. I'm back to riding motorcycles and water skiing. The strange part is I can FEEL my back telling me it isn't happy before I actually feel any pain if that makes any sense. I feel for anyone dealing with back issues, it can completely ruin your quality of life.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
FBT and everyone else suffering from back pain - Buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Naturally-Mind-Body/dp/0743424646/.
Simply put, it changed my life. 3 years ago I was in bad shape, most days I would lay on the floor sobbing.I had an MRI and the results showed a badly herniated disc above S1. The rest of my back (and health in general) still looked like I was in my 20's. I'm pretty sure the disc damage was from a motorcycle accident way back when I was a kid. I was told in no uncertain terms I needed a disc replacement immediately. Upon researching the procedure, I made up my mind surgery would be the last resort. This book can be a little out there with the meditation and such but it works miracles. The friend who gave it to me was bedridden in his 30's even after having a double laminectomy. He and I are both back to 98% health with virtually no pain ever. I'm back to riding motorcycles and water skiing. The strange part is I can FEEL my back telling me it isn't happy before I actually feel any pain if that makes any sense. I feel for anyone dealing with back issues, it can completely ruin your quality of life.

I will look into it for sure thanks for the info [emoji106][emoji106]

These are what's doc told me are the damaged discs in my back. The top two are herniated and the bottom is not quite herniated but not in the best of shape.
View attachment 430307

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I will look into it for sure thanks for the info [emoji106][emoji106]

These are what's doc told me are the damaged discs in my back. The top two are herniated and the bottom is not quite herniated but not in the best of shape.
View attachment 430307

Broken record here.. but what the hell. Core strength, Stretching, Body Alignment, and Drinking a shit ton of water are all very good for herniated/buldging disc issues. Medication only masks the problem.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I just went through disc replacement surgery between C6 and C7. I now have a 15K piece of titanium there. Disc was bulging and when I would overdo it would render me a useless blob on the couch with pillows propping my head and neck in a neutral position. God forbid if I moved it. Eventually the pain in my chest, back arm and hand would go away just waiting for me to work out again or enjoy some hobbies.

I am still healing but I feel pretty good. I know I will be paying more attention to how I lift and what I lift going forward. Monthly massages and chiro visits will be occurring as well as exercising.

One thing I would suggest is to go to a naturalist. They do blood tests and really dig into the results and find out what your body needs. I have a couple of friends that had everything from allergies to aches/pains and thyroid problems. They did this and had personalized meds created for them and the difference is staggering. Maybe they can find a reason for the degenerative issue and come up with a fix. Remember drug companies make billions per year offering relief not cures.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Starting in 1972 when I broke my neck I began the ardeous journey of spinal column issues... ...I am fused at C 5-6 6-7... ...I have dealt with it for decades,...on and off pain killers,..PT..Pain Clinics and any other, this will end your pain scheme that came along...

...My latest issues started about 2 months ago when I was riding my motorcycle up above Lake Oroville and decided it might be a good stretching exercise if I were to arch my back while hanging onto the bars... ...Well apparently that was not such a good idea as my equalibrium is now a mess and both of my hands are numb,...pins and needles so to speak...

...I loaded up and headed back to North Hollywood but only made it as far as Sanger where fortunately I have some friends... ...They graciously put me up for the last two months... ...I spent 15 hours in Clovis Community Hospital ER, had an EKG,...Cat Scan and an MRI... ...None of those showed a thing... ...I was refered to a neurologist who ordered another MRI, this time with contrast and an MRA... ...Again showed nothing... ...He also sent me to Physical Therapy... ...He said it was Vestibular,...meaning inner ear... ...I hooked up with a brilliant Ear Nose and Throat Doctor,...who wanted a C-T scan of my throat, jaw and inner ear as I was getting huge amounts of pain radiating up my spine and into in those areas???... ...I got the results of the C-T this Tuesday... ...Again nothing???... ...This doctor said my pain and equalibrium issues are now likely stemming from nerve endings bouncing off of scar tissue as a result of my decades ago fusion???... ...Being a pain patient himself he really does undertstand pain... ...He strongly suggested I seek out a neurologist,...and said there isn't a good one in Fresno so might be a good idea to find one in the Los Angeles area...

...So here I sit in North Hollywood waiting for my September 29th appointment with a Neuro... ...Ironically he is at St Joseph's Hospital in Burbank,...the same hospital where I had my tonsils out when I was seven and where I had my cervical fusion done in the '70's...

...When I try to walk it is as though I'm drunk... ...Anybody ever experience this without so much as a drop of liquor???...Ok so I had a few Magaritas in Sanger,...but believe me they are not a part of my issues now... ...I have to use a cane or hang onto things...

...So enough of my deal... ...Mr Bowtie, my problems are miniscule in comparison to yours,...unfortunately there isn't any thing I can add or suggest that hasn't already been said by others in this unfortunate club of Pain Brothers...

HotRod82

Reaction score
As I read through this thread, I'm reminded how lucky I am to be able to keep a handle on my issues after nearly a year of difficulty. I really feel for you guys still suffering, I hope you can find some relief in some form.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Riverbound,Be careful what you wish for!!!!!! You think you have problems now,wait till you start with pain meds!!!! I am not trying to give you any shit,but i have been going to pain management for 8 years.When you first start out on them they work great.Then you will need more and more and stronger meds to do the trick.After that you will need them just to feel normal.The pain docs will tell you that when you want to get off them they will just ween you off.. it is not that easy.I am sure anyone here that goes to pain management can tell you how that works!!!!! I have had injections,burning of the nerves and it only worked for a few days,Some people it works for 6 months.Do your homework and research before you go on pain meds.I am looking at a neck fusion and after that i hope i can be done with meds.Living with pain every day takes it's toll big time,but be careful..

I hear what you're saying. I'm only doing the pain management thing as a very temporary solution until we can get my actual issues corrected. I have been fighting off any sort of pain killer other than OTC options for close to 6 months now. Now that I have had the MRI I can now work with my chiro and PT to hopefully correct it without surgery, utilizing the pain mgmt to get through until the healing process is happening.

Heylam

Reaction score
Backs don't get better, only worse. Do whatever you can (core strengthening, pain management, etc) to get you through life with what you have, and watch very carefully how you use it.