WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

how to get title to abandoned boat...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
long story short a boat was left on a property, property was sold. boat remains. owner wants to get rid of it. can i pick up the vehicle and start the process of a lien sale or is this something that only the owner of the property can do? the way i read it was that a lien sale is conducted, if they contest it, it goes to court since you're storing the vehicle. if previous owner doesnt contest it, you do an "auction" and if no one buys the vehicle it becomes yours and you have 5 days to give notice to DMV and then you can apply for title? Did I get it right?

Am I going to get in any trouble for moving a vehicle from property A to my property and THEN conducting the lien sale?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well, first...

Do you have rights (or a legal reason) to place a lien on said property?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I sent a certified return receipt letter to the last known title holder. If that comes back to you unopened then take that to dmv. Fill out some forms on how you acquired said boat and get your title.
Do make sure it hasn't been reported stolen or they'll look at you funny.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I sent a certified return receipt letter to the last known title holder. If that comes back to you unopened then take that to dmv. Fill out some forms on how you acquired said boat and get your title.
Do make sure it hasn't been reported stolen or they'll look at you funny.

If they take your paper work and tell you to have a seat, RUN!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
There are several ways to do this...is this a POS boat that the rightful owner left behind on purpose or a a nice boat that's worth something?

Sold Honda bought Hondo

Reaction score
Last 2 boats i registered game and fish (az)didn't even look at the boat. No title, just a bos. with the hull numbers.
Both were from out of state and had not been registered in years..in/out in 20 min.