WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

***Help Searching for info on a past Catalina Ski Race participant***

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Does anyone know Robert Coffman - past Catalina Ski Race Participant last known to have competed/placed in 1998?? Any info would be greatly appreciated - specifically his birth date - Thanks!

37 boat

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Does anyone know Robert Coffman - past Catalina Ski Race Participant last known to have competed/placed in 1998?? Any info would be greatly appreciated - specifically his birth date - Thanks!

Don't know him but seem to remember he was a Doctor and was known as the oldest entrant for several years. I would check with Long Beach Boat and Ski Club, I'm sure somebody in the club would remember him.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
1998 Oldest Skier 2:20:14 Robert Coffman(76) Jeff Murray Waterman/Murray

Shows he was 76 years old in 1998?

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I've looked at those postings - The MAIN reason I'm trying to find the actual birth date of Mr. Coffman is that we competed in this years Catalina Ski Race and my skier is 76 years old. We completed the race in 1:40 and the officials stated that we are tied with Mr. Coffman, but they could not give us his birth date to confirm who is really the oldest! I know it may seem petty, but let's be clear - you guys know what it takes to complete this race and be competitive - NOT TO MENTION doing this at 76 YEARS OLD!!!!! I'm not trying to take anything away from Mr. Coffman's accomplishment, but his time was 2:20 and I'd just like to have clarification on our efforts as a competitive team! Thanks!!:thumbsup

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I've looked at those postings - The MAIN reason I'm trying to find the actual birth date of Mr. Coffman is that we competed in this years Catalina Ski Race and my skier is 76 years old. We completed the race in 1:40 and the officials stated that we are tied with Mr. Coffman, but they could not give us his birth date to confirm who is really the oldest! I know it may seem petty, but let's be clear - you guys know what it takes to complete this race and be competitive - NOT TO MENTION doing this at 76 YEARS OLD!!!!! I'm not trying to take anything away from Mr. Coffman's accomplishment, but his time was 2:20 and I'd just like to have clarification on our efforts as a competitive team! Thanks!!:thumbsup

Have Ken do it next year and there will be no question?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I've looked at those postings - The MAIN reason I'm trying to find the actual birth date of Mr. Coffman is that we competed in this years Catalina Ski Race and my skier is 76 years old. We completed the race in 1:40 and the officials stated that we are tied with Mr. Coffman, but they could not give us his birth date to confirm who is really the oldest!

Actually,, it shouldn't really be a "tie" since he id it 40 minutes faster?

norcalLmo

Reaction score
I know right?!!!!!! And it's been 16 years since Coffman raced.....Careful now - I trained with Ken doubling-up behind his 22' Vaughn all summer long and to be honest - he kicked my a** Soooo if he HAS to ski Catalina next year that means I'm stuck training with him AGAIN and I'm not sure my ol' bu** will be able to keep up with him LOL!!!!! Hey Thanks for the feed-back!!!! Keep the throttle down, the tabs up and most importantly - BE SAFE!!!:thumbsup

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
I want to say congratulations to Ken and your team on a great accomplishment. Your guys training runs always get me wanting back on my ski and work up to some long runs. You guys are an inspiration.

work2ski

Reaction score
Actually,, it shouldn't really be a "tie" since he id it 40 minutes faster?

Forums like this are awesome because it gives us a place to connect and get facts not otherwise available.

Keep a couple things in mind, #1 this race is put on by volunteers and all the information does not transfer over the years (specifically birth dats of participants). #2, the record is for the oldest skier to finish the race, not the time in which they did it. So until someone can share the birth date of Mr. Coffman, it has to be a tie. I hope someone on here can find out so that the club can publish the correct info. Keep searching!!!

norcalLmo

Reaction score
***Thanks for the 'props' Bob! You need to put that ski back on and come along for a 'fun-run' with us!!!!! To everyone - Thanks for the feedback - I meant no disrespect to the race organizers, volunteers and other competitors of this race - (I ABSOLUTELY appreciate the challenges and LOOOOOOONG hours you guys/gals commit to for such a huge event and I'll add that this years race was probably the BEST organized and run race I've competed in!) I'll keep searching and hope that if anyone has more input - please feel free to post something! Great race - Great participants - just wanting to give a buddy the opportunity to know where he stands after all his (and his teams') efforts!

Thanks again! - Throttle down, trim up and most importantly - BE SAFE & HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

P45

Reaction score
The age of the skier is what makes it a record there is a oldest and youngest but there is no oldest or youngest class the class for the old guys is masters the young guys is junior boys or girls just finishing the race is tuff so just keep young and do it again next year but watch out for old man Don Mac Donald he wants to try again.