WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Its ON! Small boat catalina race Aug 9th

boat527

Reaction score
Posted last night: Good luck to all who race 21 and under, like the good ol days!

Maybe some Schiada and Hallett Boys will try their luck

T'S ON!!!! Just received official confirmation that the rumored Long Beach Grand National Race from Long Beach to Avalon and back on August 9th is a go. Opens, intermediates and seniors must run boats 21' or less. All other classes will be allowed boats up to 27'. Please note: all drivers must meet NWSRA MVR requirements. Please email [email protected] for details. www.nwsra.net will be updated very soon with complete event details and registration information.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay....so what's the deal. It appears that the Long Beach Grand National (aka small boat Catalina ski race) is on for Saturday, August 9 in Long Beach at the South ramp. The NWSRA website has some very minimal information about the event. What are the rules and what are the classes besides 'open', 'intermediate' and 'seniors'? I'm assuming that NWSRA is putting on the event? Does it have Coast Guard permits and insurance, or is it more of a casual "on-the-down-low" kind of deal like the annual Catalina Polar Bear ski gathering in January? The event is less than two weeks away, does anybody know about it?

Reaction score
......I am looking for a skier.

boat527

Reaction score
Okay....so what's the deal. It appears that the Long Beach Grand National (aka small boat Catalina ski race) is on for Saturday, August 9 in Long Beach at the South ramp. The NWSRA website has some very minimal information about the event. What are the rules and what are the classes besides 'open', 'intermediate' and 'seniors'? I'm assuming that NWSRA is putting on the event? Does it have Coast Guard permits and insurance, or is it more of a casual "on-the-down-low" kind of deal like the annual Catalina Polar Bear ski gathering in January? The event is less than two weeks away, does anybody know about it?

Dude...don't shoot the messenger...go to nwsra.net and get the info and read the flier.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

There were indications they were working on it earlier in the year, but I think it's a shame they didn't coordinate and run it closer to the regular race so there may have been additional participation.

cking

Reaction score
Hey everyone, can't wait for this race! It might not be the best it can be but with the inaugural race run and done, next year we can make it into something even better. I already know of a few boats looking for skiers. If anyone needs a ride let me know! See you all on the start line :D

THOF

Reaction score
two cents, the small boat Catalina ski race is an NWSRA event. It has actually been in the works for a while. Just this year, 2 people from Region II stuck with it, working with LBBSC and the City of Long Beach.
It has been on the schedule all year, but we didn't know if it would happen. I think that it was approved last Wednesday, and notices were out by Wed night.

It should be a fun, exciting race. We have talked about a 21' Catalina Race since 1986 that I can remember. We had meetings about it back then, just didn't happen.

Barry, if you notice the date, it is the second weekend of August. The traditional race date for the Catalina Ski Race. We wish we had received approval earlier, and we could have promoted the race more. The organizers actually had some good ideas regarding the race, but some things just didn't work out. Right now we are happy to have the approval, and are looking forward to getting the first one under our belts.
Get that 87 boat out, let's go racing. Wait till you see CKing's ride.

See you at the driver's meeting.

THOF

Reaction score
two cents, the small boat Catalina ski race is an NWSRA event. It has actually been in the works for a while. Just this year, 2 people from Region II stuck with it, working with LBBSC and the City of Long Beach.
It has been on the schedule all year, but we didn't know if it would happen. I think that it was approved last Wednesday, and notices were out by Wed night.

It should be a fun, exciting race. We have talked about a 21' Catalina Race since 1986 that I can remember. We had meetings about it back then, just didn't happen.

Barry, if you notice the date, it is the second weekend of August. The traditional race date for the Catalina Ski Race. We wish we had received approval earlier, and we could have promoted the race more. The organizers actually had some good ideas regarding the race, but some things just didn't work out. Right now we are happy to have the approval, and are looking forward to getting the first one under our belts.

THOF[

Thanks for the post Ted. ..

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
I wish I could be there. Have fun guys and I look forward to this race next year.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
......I am looking for a skier.

Hey Carl,
Tyler Murray may be looking for a ride. After his dad's Hallett got beat up in the Catalina race a few weeks back he may have realized that really isn't the right boat for the ocean. HAHA!
Give him a shout if you still need a skier.

Reaction score
Hey Carl,
Tyler Murray may be looking for a ride. After his dad's Hallett got beat up in the Catalina race a few weeks back he may have realized that really isn't the right boat for the ocean. HAHA!
Give him a shout if you still need a skier.

I will have to do that.

work2ski

Reaction score
Anybody have more detail about the race? Will it be started from a boat, or shore? Where is the start/finish line? Any suggestions for spectators?

I'll be in the parking lot bright and early...Believe That!!! But it's tough to get the family to come out if they don't have any idea about what to expect...

obnoxious001

Reaction score

THOF

Tony hasn't been on a ski all year that I know of unfortunately. I could come down and observe (or drive) if someone needs a body in a boat.

Glad you pointed out the use of the old date, I don't know the first Catalina race I ever attended, somewhere back in the 60's for sure.

THOF

Reaction score
work2ski,
Late registration at the ramp from 6AM to 7AM, Drivers mtg at 7AM. Start at 9AM. Start between the oil islands with a start boat.
Finish off of the Queen Mary. I understand that the organizers are still working with the Queen Mary on a reduced rate to get on the QM.
Trophies at the ramp at 1PM.

We do need people to pre-register. It makes it easier on race day. So if you plan to race, you can pre-register at nwsra.net.

Let's go race.
Thof

THOF

Reaction score
Attn: All competitors of the Small Boat Catalina Race:
We need firm commitments (entries) by Monday evening. We need 25 boats to compete. There seems to be a lot of talk amongst members, but only 5 confirmed entries at this point. We need confirmed entries by Monday evening to move forward. After the years of work on this, and finally getting approval, it would be sad to not have enough competitors.

Stevie, Brian S, Andy, and others, we need to see the entry. Pre-register at nwsra.net. Or e-mail to [email protected] today.

Thanks, let's go race.
THOF

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
We need firm commitments (entries) by Monday evening. We need 25 boats to compete. There seems to be a lot of talk amongst members, but only 5 confirmed entries at this point. We need confirmed entries by Monday evening to move forward. After the years of work on this, and finally getting approval, it would be sad to not have enough competitors.

Stevie, Brian S, Andy, and others, we need to see the entry. Pre-register at nwsra.net. Or e-mail to [email protected] today.

Thanks, let's go race.
THOF

I wasn't planning on skiing this race until a couple days ago, haven't been on a ski of any kind since Parker in March, nor have I been training. Only reason I am skiing this race is to support the effort of those trying to make this race happen. I've wanted this race to happen for so long and people are making it a reality... hopefully. It would be a shame for it to be cancelled at this point. It would hurt a lot less to have donated my entry fee to support the race, but might as well go for a ski ride too. Just signed up online, so now there should be 6 entries. I hope there are 19 more out there somewhere.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Tony hasn't been on a ski all year that I know of unfortunately. I could come down and observe (or drive) if someone needs a body in a boat.

Glad you pointed out the use of the old date, I don't know the first Catalina race I ever attended, somewhere back in the 60's for sure.

Hey Barry, we need an observer if you are interested. David Hein skiing, Veteran Men, 23' Howard Offshore.

Let me know.

Thanks

John

SoCalZero

Reaction score
If anyone else needs help in a boat for the race I'm available. I have all my own gear.

21 Trick

Labsport Power Boats from Australia
Reaction score

Thanks, let's go race.
THOF

This link was just emailed to me. We are in Boat # 222 Pulling Brian S. I just emailed Cheryl to let her know we will be signing up shortly. Just looking for an observer.

Thanks for the heads up.
Craig G.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Mike King called me this morning giving me shit for not signing up yet. I told him ill be out of town for work and unfortunately will not make it this weekend. I am bummed because this is the one race I was really looking forward to this year.
He asked me to get the word out and have everyone I know who is doing the race sign up ASAP. He needs to know by 12:00 noon today if it is a go based upon the number of entries they have. If you are doing the race please sign up ASAP or at least let Cheryl Ruston with the NWSRA know you are doing the race and will sign up later.

Thanks Troy

boat527

Reaction score
I know my brother decided to run the # 9 pulling Tyler.. I just texted him

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The race went off today without any issues. There were 16 entries I think, (may have been 15). A very big THANK YOU to 21 Trick for stepping up to help sponsor the event, :thumbsup otherwise I don't think this thing would have happened. It looked like everyone had a blast, there were a couple of teams with boat issues but I think most teams finished. The conditions were mixed, there were patches of smooth water and patches of crud but overall not too bad.

David skied great, 4th to the turn and 4th overall. I think Marty Wells won the overall but not sure as we could not stay for trophy's. Next year we will make plans to stick around till the end.

Everyone needs to check the NWSRA calendar for next year, mark the date for this event, dust the cobwebs off your equipment, get off the shelf and come have some fun. Better yet show up at Parker and run as many events as you can including this one. Start making plans now!!!

obnoxious001

Reaction score
The race went off today without any issues. There were 16 entries I think, (may have been 15). A very big THANK YOU to 21 Trick for stepping up to help sponsor the event, :thumbsup otherwise I don't think this thing would have happened. It looked like everyone had a blast, there were a couple of teams with boat issues but I think most teams finished. The conditions were mixed, there were patches of smooth water and patches of crud but overall not too bad.

David skied great, 4th to the turn and 4th overall. I think Marty Wells won the overall but not sure as we could not stay for trophy's. Next year we will make plans to stick around till the end.

Everyone needs to check the NWSRA calendar for next year, mark the date for this event, dust the cobwebs off your equipment, get off the shelf and come have some fun. Better yet show up at Parker and run as many events as you can including this one. Start making plans now!!!

Actually several people thought Marty was behind the twin rig, but he was behind Steve Davis in the yellow boat. Cameron King one overall in a time of 58:45 Marty crossed at 59 minutes and some,, Kyle Lancon was 3rd around 1:01, and David Hein achieved his goal by going 1:09, breaking the 1:10 barrier.

I did take the time to go thank Craig in person, and Randy Jarrell has your trophies.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Barry. Yeah I thought Marty was behind the twin rig and Cameron behind Stevie Davis. And thanks for coming out and observing for David. It was a lot of fun.

Singleton

Reaction score
Actually several people thought Marty was behind the twin rig, but he was behind Steve Davis in the yellow boat. Cameron King one overall in a time of 58:45 Marty crossed at 59 minutes and some,, Kyle Lancon was 3rd around 1:01, and David Hein achieved his goal by going 1:09, breaking the 1:10 barrier.

I did take the time to go thank Craig in person, and Randy Jarrell has your trophies.

Surprised Kyle raced. He had a 2 inch cut in the palm of his hand on Monday when I saw him

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Barry. Yeah I thought Marty was behind the twin rig and Cameron behind Stevie Davis. And thanks for coming out and observing for David. It was a lot of fun.

Wayne Murray and I thought the same thing.

That was a good time, glad they were able to pull it off.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Posted today on the NWSRA site

Long Beach Grand National
August 9, 2014

74 (21) Men's Open Cameron King Ryan Choura Mike King 58:45.50

192 (21) Outboard Martie Wells Steve Davis Ryan Choura 59:36.83

512 (21) Outboard Kyle Lancon Jim Lancon Dennis Fritch 1:01.26.34

23 (21) Veteran Men David Hein John Stewart Barry Obler 1:09.23.64

88 (21) Women's Open Cheryl Ruston Randy Jarrell Ted Hofmann 1:11.01.34

100 (27) Veteran Men Michael La Frenz Brad Barrus Dean Thirkill 1:12.52.40

9 (21) Intermediate Men Tyler Murray Wayne Murray Mark Honsowetz 1:14.29.45

222 (21) Senior Men Brian Samaniego Craig Gregory Larry Gebhart 1:14.33.38

30 (21) Double Up Griffin / Legere Jim Barnard Gery Sinnott 1:28.36.57

18 (21) Expert Men Ken Bowen David Tierney Greg Bell 1:29.41.13

36 (21) Over and Back Stern / Wonsley Brad Stern Stern / Wonsley 1:32.11.35

623 (21) Over and Back Thralls / Holman Thralls / Holman Rachel Holman 1:33.58.43

57 (21) Outboard Andy Anderson Glen Anderson Chad Bolton DNF

3 (21) Men's Open Brady Hoggins Howard Hoggins Brandon Brodecki DNF

587 (21) Expert Men Todd Lackner John Voris Gaylon Neustal DNS