WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

House Boating in the Keys......

l84theriv

Reaction score
After going back and forth with some friends of our about where to rent a house boat.....powell, mead...etc. We decided to look into renting one in the florida keys. Has anyone done this?

l84theriv

Reaction score
I swear I had watched something on the Travel channel about doing it years ago. Now googling it I cant find anything but shit boxes that you cant drive yourself. Oh well. Im gonna look into maybe a charter in the Bahamas or something. Does anyone know what inmate did that charter in BVI. I think its Daytona babe but not sure.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I have chartered 48 foot sailing cats in the BVI 2 times, best vacation ever. If you don''t sail, Moorings has power cats that anyone who boats can charter.

394 power cat.jpg

The islands are are all close, no navigation needed, some islands with no one on them and some with great little beach bars....It's paradise. A cat would be way better than a house boat. It the boat has 4 cabins, don't bring more than 3 couples total, you need one cabin just to store all the cloths your will never wear.

Avoid August and September due to possible hurricanes.

The natives are cool but somewhat formal. The BVI is one of the safest places on earth as far as theft and violent crime. I love it there...will be going back, always hate to leave.

Great snorkeling, diving, drinking and eating!

Check this out!

http://www.moorings.com/vacation-options/powerboat-charter

AZKC

I know right...
Reaction score
$4500 for 5 days, out of Miami. 3 cabins and AC

Moorings-393-Power-boat-yacht-charters.jpg

HavaToon

Reaction score
X2 on the moorings and the BVIs. We chartered a 48' power cat for 10 days. Super easy and one of the best vacations ever.

BajaMike

Reaction score
$4500 for 5 days, out of Miami. 3 cabins and AC

View attachment 355233

I wouldn't charter out of Miami or the Florida Keys, I've been to both many times. Hours and days away (and possible rough seas) from the good cruising waters. Fly to the BVI and the next island is a 30 minutes cruise, dive the wreck of the Rhoane (where they filmed "The Deep"), and constant gentle breezes and Trade Winds and smooth, clear water.

Plus duty free Vodka and Rum in the BVI! :)

240Hallett

Reaction score
Another vote for the BVI. We did a 38' power cat 2 cabin from Marine Max charters. Great vacation,easy to drive, line of sight navigation.

l84theriv

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your input. I saw Moorings while searching charters in the Bahamas since house boating in the keys was a dead end. We have three couples and was thinking 9 days. I saw 5 grand for 5 days so I will figure 10 for 9. Did that include fuel.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your input. I saw Moorings while searching charters in the Bahamas since house boating in the keys was a dead end. We have three couples and was thinking 9 days. I saw 5 grand for 5 days so I will figure 10 for 9. Did that include fuel.

Doesn't include fuel. We spent $600 for 10 days and went all over the BVIs, even trolled for fish.

l84theriv

Reaction score
Doesn't include fuel. We spent $600 for 10 days and went all over the BVIs, even trolled for fish.

Shit...that's cheap. Do you have to have a captain or is that only with the sail cats

BajaMike

Reaction score
They send you a "sailing resume" questionnaire. For a power cat you just need to show power boat experience. When you check out the boat, they will have a captain spend a half an hour with you.....If you have some boating and mutli-engine experience, it won't be a problem.

Wish I could go with you!!

:D

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I thought you were going to park a houseboat next to RD's keys house lol

240Hallett

Reaction score
Our fuel bill was about $270 for 8 days, including the dinghy.