WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Barn find" Glastron CVX 20

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Finding (or re-discovering) an all original Jet boat like this is always a thrill , In this case Josh and I were in search of a basically stock Jet Boat to begin Beta Testing of some new JBP Jet products we're manufacturing and modifying , we gave thought to several different "test" subjects but last week I had an epiphany... My wife's Pops had this all original Glastron CVX 20 which for a multitude of reasons had been setting unused for six plus years , well preserved , "pickled" and kept dry and clean, this boat is about as original as they come, original 320 HP 460 Ford , original Berkeley E drive , original gel and interior , beyond copious maintenance by my FIL (he's a certified Tech) all is the way the boat was produced by the manufacturer in 1978, right down to the original purchase agreement and owners manual in the jockey box, the boat is mechanically sound and after a quick battery swap it lit up and ran like it did when new (they even kept current with license and registrations) . Inspired by him in the early 70's by his first home built 440 Mopar Jet I bought a new Miller 18' Jet myself and shortly after that he upgraded purchased this Glastron , Rhonda and I had the unique opportunity to pick it up brand new , summer of 78, in Paso Robles at R&R Sports center and be the first to launch and drive it (Photo below). Although my Idea of a Jet boat was quite different 36 years ago (loud Hot Rod type) the Glastron was an exciting and refreshing change, when we launched it for the first time not unlike driving and exoctic sports car with its plush interior and sleek fast back lines and fast fun cruising . From that first voyage at Nacimiento in 1978 This particular boat (stored at the family lake cabin) was our "default boat" when we were boatless from time to time or between projects or just too lazy to drag our own boat to the Lake . The Glastron was always there always ready to go and always dependable , always ready for a good time , My Wifes many siblings and and in later years the resultant grandkids have all used and enjoyed the boat up until 08', when it was "mothballed". Now the Glastron has a new mission ... more on this as things progress

Glastron @ Paso 1978
2010-12-12_10-56-51_793-r-1-1.jpg

Out of the "Barn" 2014
005d8c73-b25f-4478-88b7-e7f79f523ed0.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
What a great looking boat! I look forward to seeing more of it. :thumbup:

fmo24

Reaction score
Cool Boat. Looking forward to the upgrades

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Awesome boat. Growing up my father had two of them. A silver one haut like yours that burnt in a barn fire and a blue one we used as a family boat when a I was young. Looking at the pic reminds me of those hand turn engine hatch screws that would vibrate and make a strange noise. Also another thing would be the scoop grate would easily pick up rocks and weeds would wedge and cavitate. My dad would have to jump in the water and clear it and after a few years it was me jumping in. Great memories on that boat.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Cool boat and story.....don't know if you noticed in the lounge that Art Carlson passed away day before yesterday.

That man had vision...

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Cool boat and story.....don't know if you noticed in the lounge that Art Carlson passed away day before yesterday.

That man had vision...
Thanks everyone and, Yes Carl, Carlson was indeed a Visionary and its said that many jet boat hull bottoms were copied and patterned from his ideas and designs , regarding the CVX weve owned a couple as well Glastron too was ahead of the curve for example we recently found that "hole punched" 70's IBM cards are/were laminated under the glass in some hulls ..... Well so far withstanding a starter replacement and fresh fuel the boat is basically ready to test our impeller prototype , because we will be doing the swap at the lake under less than desirable conditions we opted to partially disassemble to jet for inspection , its only ever had the bowl pulled once in 30+ years and over 1500 hrs , we found the original impeller/wear ring contrast wear to be less than .015 .. more as we go ...

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

prepping a new Impeller for the test
2d90c55c-b8ea-4b9a-ac0e-9a23b6e6926c.jpg

rush1

Reaction score
Wow that boats a diamond I love those carlsons as you said a sports car, looking forward to this I have the same pump in my boat.

TBulger

Reaction score
That is very nice, I had a blue CV-23 in 1985, God I loved that boat. It had a Merc and bravo, came with stock boat, can't remember H.P. Kept it at the Abby on Lake Geneva in Wisc. beautifull place. :)