WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any "go to" companies for Lake Powell Houseboat rentals?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Going to do a houseboat trip next August. I haven't done this since my late 20's. Any recommendations for houseboat companies or is there just one company to choose from? Deals? Discounts? Advice?

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
I was just there the week of 6-29 thru 7-6. It was the first time I'd had been to lake Powell. Which is an amazing place, nothing else like it. But I would not rent a houseboat out of the Wahweep Marina. That's where we did and the boats suck! Our generator wouldn't stay running the A/C wouldn't cool down. The last 4 days of the trip I slept on the roof with a cold towl on my forehead. It was kind of miserable. I've been tent camping in July on Mohave and had more fun than that. When we got back to return the houseboat there were about 10 other houseboats being returned at the same time and everyone of those other boats people were complaining about how bad the boats were and all the problems they had. I talked to some people at the dangling rope marina one day when we were topping off. They had rented from Forever resorts out of the BullFrog Marina and their boat was super nice. I would suggest renting from there. I like that side of the lake better anyways, but its 2 hours farther driving from socal. I hope you have a better experience than we did. It was still a great time just could have been better for Paying $7k for a week on a houseboat

BR44

Reaction score
Antelope is the other option on the south end. If your set on the houseboat rental try them as well.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
keeping an eye on this thread. A houseboat trip on Powell has been on my bucket list for years. Just need to find another family to help share expenses with.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I was just there the week of 6-29 thru 7-6. It was the first time I'd had been to lake Powell. Which is an amazing place, nothing else like it. But I would not rent a houseboat out of the Wahweep Marina. That's where we did and the boats suck! Our generator wouldn't stay running the A/C wouldn't cool down. The last 4 days of the trip I slept on the roof with a cold towl on my forehead. It was kind of miserable. I've been tent camping in July on Mohave and had more fun than that. When we got back to return the houseboat there were about 10 other houseboats being returned at the same time and everyone of those other boats people were complaining about how bad the boats were and all the problems they had. I talked to some people at the dangling rope marina one day when we were topping off. They had rented from Forever resorts out of the BullFrog Marina and their boat was super nice. I would suggest renting from there. I like that side of the lake better anyways, but its 2 hours farther driving from socal. I hope you have a better experience than we did. It was still a great time just could have been better for Paying $7k for a week on a houseboat

Did you call the marina services? Normally if you guys have any problems on a boat they send a repair guy out to fix it, if they can't fix it they usually refund part of your money.

Unfortunately all the boat rentals on lake powell have to go through the lake in some way, unless you buy into a timeshare. Your end options are Antelope marina, Bullfrog and Wahweap. Sorry you had a bummer trip with the boat, I've been going to the lake for the last 32 years and I've done everything from mega person houseboat to beach camping. This will be the first year that I miss because I'm getting married and I'm using week off time for a honeymoon.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have seen some houseboat timeshares for Powell come up recently. Seems like a good deal........$6K up front which covers first years maintenance. Then a little under $2K/year every year thereafter and you get a guaranteed week every year and unlimited usage in the off months (May and September). Big boats to.....(over 50 Foot).

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I've rented from both wahweap and antelope point and hands down antelope point has the nicest boats, best service etc. When I pull up to antelope a guy is at my car and opening my rear gate before I even get out of the car. They load all our stuff and shuttle everything to the boat where they load the entire boat for u. We always pay extra to sleep on the boat the night before, we get settled and leave early the next day. The restaurant and bar there is great. They made up ropes at varying lengths for the boats we were towing. All in all great experience.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have rented several times out of the wahweap marina, never had a problem free boat. This was before Antelope was opened. When we go back we sill be going out of Antelope. I have heard a lot of good about them.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
My recommendation is to buy a time share, use it and sell it the next year if you do not want to keep it.

My former in laws have doing been doing Powell for nearly 2 decades now and got me hooked on Powell. Last summer I knew I wanted to make it a regular spot but committing a week of my vacation every single year to Powell wasn't something I wanted to do.

I'm currently buying a weekly share of a houseboat with a family member. We are going to alternate years on Powell. The first year we go we are going together because they have no houseboat experience and anchoring a houseboat in Powell well enough to hold up to the winds is an art that requires eduction and practice. The share is $5K for a 2001 built 70' boat. The annual fee is $2K and the boat is immaculate.

Renting a smaller boat that's not nearly as nice for the same week will run around $8500 so the buying deal is a no brainer to me. Not to mention if you get tired of Powell you can sell your share of the boat.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
There are no "time share" boats on Powell. There are boats that are owned by partners that had pre determined time slots that they use the boat. The law requires that unless you rent from one of the parks concessionaires an "owner" must be on the boat. Thus the "shared ownership" of many house boats. When you are an "owner" of one of these boats you are responsible for your annual time slot fees plus maintenance, repairs and insurance costs.

Moody

Reaction score
Im selling my share slipped out of waweep. $2500 buy in. $2500 a year for maintenance. 2nd week in June. A cool week. Usually 90 degrees out. Inexpensive for first timers. uploadfromtaptalk1406574418344.jpg

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
Did you call the marina services? Normally if you guys have any problems on a boat they send a repair guy out to fix it, if they can't fix it they usually refund part of your money.

Unfortunately all the boat rentals on lake powell have to go through the lake in some way, unless you buy into a timeshare. Your end options are Antelope marina, Bullfrog and Wahweap. Sorry you had a bummer trip with the boat, I've been going to the lake for the last 32 years and I've done everything from mega person houseboat to beach camping. This will be the first year that I miss because I'm getting married and I'm using week off time for a honeymoon.

We just dealt with it. We talked to another group that had rented the same model houseboat the same week and had one motor die. So they had to limp around with on motor for 3 days before someone from the marina came out to fix it. And they had called in as soon as they had a problem. We had looked into Antelope marina when we were renting ours. But with the fluctuations in the water level over the past couple of years we had heard that sometimes the marina wasn't even access able by boat but they were taking reservations anyways. We didn't want to chance it as it was our first time there. But you live and you learn. When I go back I'm doing a lot of research and getting the best boat possible. Not saying I had a horrible week it just could have been better. For the money I spent we could've went to Hawaii or stayed in Havasu for 2 weeks.

BigSteve

Reaction score
We leave a truck and boat, in the Airport hanger at Powell and fly in, gave up on the houseboats to slow and poorly maintained, plus they burn a ton of fuel.

We get a room in Paige for a under a hundred and the fuel for the boat is much cheaper off the water.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I've rented from both wahweap and antelope point and hands down antelope point has the nicest boats, best service etc. When I pull up to antelope a guy is at my car and opening my rear gate before I even get out of the car. They load all our stuff and shuttle everything to the boat where they load the entire boat for u. We always pay extra to sleep on the boat the night before, we get settled and leave early the next day. The restaurant and bar there is great. They made up ropes at varying lengths for the boats we were towing. All in all great experience.

Always rented out of Wahweap, but that sure sounds like great service! Very cool! :thumbsup

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
What's the scoop with leaving the generator on at night for sleeping with the A/C? Not advisable for gas consumption or will the gas hold out for the week? Just leave the windows open at night? Need the in's and out's on what to or not to do please.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sleep outside. Seriously. It cools off nicely at night.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too but if we turn off the generator will the refrigerator keep the food cold enough throughout the night or will it run on battery power just like a regular RV?

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too but if we turn off the generator will the refrigerator keep the food cold enough throughout the night or will it run on battery power just like a regular RV?

Just like an RV, they switch between LP and electric.

This was my 30th year vacationing on Powell and I must say that Wahweap is really trying to compete with Antelope. I have had a share in a houseboat in a slip at Wahweap since 1998 and this year loading was amazing. They have a fleet of 8 person golf carts to run you up and down the ramp plus ATVs with trailers to load your gear. The service is free but they take tips of course. The main dock was widened to make room for the carts and the store and cafe were completely re-done, quite nice! We always sleep on the roof and it is very comfortable. We only run our AC when we are cooking because who wants the noise anyway. If you plan to go more than once I highly recommend buying into a boat, you will save thousands. One company that does a great job managing ownerships is Laketime. Their boats are in a yard, not a slip. Gas is $1/gal cheaper because they fill on land. They have many ownership programs and the boats seem to be in great shape from what I hear. Ours is an old-school 56' Boatel and we have a work party every March with the other owners and do the maintenance ourselves to save money and bond with the other owners (makes everyone want to keep it clean). Our shares go for $4000 and annual maintenance is $1,000 for 4 weeks per year. There is a $400 fee if you can't participate in the work party.

Renting is pricey, but still a good way to go for the first time. Ownerships are the way to go if you plan to come back (and you will!) In 30 years I have only explored about 1/3 of the lake, it's that big!

If I was renting, I'd probably go to Antelope.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Houseboat trip advice. If you've never "been in charge of the proceedings"

To me the key to a great trip is planning and a meeting at least a week before so everyone knows whats up when you hit the lake.

Know your guests extremely well - no strangers to fill out quota or share $$. Last thing you need is some douchwagon playing aqualung for 24 hours on repeat.
Make sure they all know what their roles are each day in finding a spot, dumping gassing and anchoring.
Make sure everyone knows who cooks cleans and buys each meal and drinks.
Only invite people that understand the issue of limited resources water/ black/ great etc. RV / Glamis toy hauler people get it. Kids usually don't.
On our last trip - one party magically was never around for work - but always around for dinner.
The Big units rarely if every really "cool down" on 100 degree day and nights.
Sleeping on the roof you can get chewed up by mosquitos in some spots- not all.

I prefer small houseboats like adventure crafts - with a chaser boat to the big 50-80ft rigs too slow expensive to move around and hard to anchor and park and if you get one stuck good luck.

Antelope is still King but Wahweap is nicer than ever.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Houseboat trip advice. If you've never "been in charge of the proceedings"

To me the key to a great trip is planning and a meeting at least a week before so everyone knows whats up when you hit the lake.

Know your guests extremely well - no strangers to fill out quota or share $$. Last thing you need is some douchwagon playing aqualung for 24 hours on repeat.
Make sure they all know what their roles are each day in finding a spot, dumping gassing and anchoring.
Make sure everyone knows who cooks cleans and buys each meal and drinks.
Only invite people that understand the issue of limited resources water/ black/ great etc. RV / Glamis toy hauler people get it. Kids usually don't.
On our last trip - one party magically was never around for work - but always around for dinner.
The Big units rarely if every really "cool down" on 100 degree day and nights.
Sleeping on the roof you can get chewed up by mosquitos in some spots- not all.

I prefer small houseboats like adventure crafts - with a chaser boat to the big 50-80ft rigs too slow expensive to move around and hard to anchor and park and if you get one stuck good luck.

Antelope is still King but Wahweap is nicer than ever.

UD

Questions Dave. Can we pull the HB into say Dangling Dong or whatever other marina's are handy and empty the tanks or are we stuck all week without dumping the gray/black tanks?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Man I almost bought a timeshare last night. I had no idea they were that cheap.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Questions Dave. Can we pull the HB into say Dangling Dong or whatever other marina's are handy and empty the tanks or are we stuck all week without dumping the gray/black tanks?

There are dumping stations thru out the lake, if you get a map they are on there I believe.

BigSteve

Reaction score
In 30 years I have only explored about 1/3 of the lake, it's that big!

It is a big lake to see. :thumbup:

We like to roll and sight see the entire lake in a day, it helps to have very large fuel tanks at Powell.
the Skater held 160 gals and we would use it all.

Last year we didn't do the Parker race, instead the crew went boating, Havasu dam to dam, Mohave dam to dam and Powell, in its entirety on a three day river trip.

One can never see enough beauty while getting their boating fix.!

Attachments

• powell trip 2113 027.jpg
    powell trip 2113 027.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 27
  • powell trip 2113 057.jpg
    powell trip 2113 057.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

You can with a few caveats.

Dangling Rope is what you are talking about - nice marina think its the first big one up from Wahweap.

During the summer months - Sometimes there is a wait for the pump outs and or gas - especially on weekends when everyone has to fuel up for returns.
Depending on the wind and traffic some times its a real PIA to get into the bays and its easy to damage these things.

What you want to do is hit the marinas up and back rather than try to "pop over" because your a little full on black and or light on fresh or low on gas.

If you plan on moving around a lot know that the 50-65 foot dual outboard rigs use about 12 gallons an hour per side and go about 10-12 MPH so getting anywhere on a whim is expensive and time consuming - inboards a a little thirstier, and plan on a gallon an hour for the genset.

It takes a good amount of time to set and unset the anchors every night and its a chore - you want to buddy up on this.

Those in your group that want to go to a new destination every night need to be invested in not just the fuel - but the time and effort to scope out a spot, get there and anchor up.

Its not like the brochure- there aren't tons of little sandy beaches with no one on them, it takes a while to find a good spot, and you don't want to start when it gets dark.

Im a little more hard core than most. On my last trip I stopped bringing plastic water bottles and bought a Katadyn base camp filter and had it run right into an ice chest so we didn't have a plastic trash can full of water barrels on the aft deck and didn't full up fridges and coolers with water bottles. Beer different story.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
You can with a few caveats.

Dangling Rope is what you are talking about - nice marina think its the first big one up from Wahweap.

During the summer months - Sometimes there is a wait for the pump outs and or gas - especially on weekends when everyone has to fuel up for returns.
Depending on the wind and traffic some times its a real PIA to get into the bays and its easy to damage these things.

What you want to do is hit the marinas up and back rather than try to "pop over" because your a little full on black and or light on fresh or low on gas.

If you plan on moving around a lot know that the 50-65 foot dual outboard rigs use about 12 gallons an hour per side and go about 10-12 MPH so getting anywhere on a whim is expensive and time consuming - inboards a a little thirstier, and plan on a gallon an hour for the genset.

It takes a good amount of time to set and unset the anchors every night and its a chore - you want to buddy up on this.

Those in your group that want to go to a new destination every night need to be invested in not just the fuel - but the time and effort to scope out a spot, get there and anchor up.

Its not like the brochure- there aren't tons of little sandy beaches with no one on them, it takes a while to find a good spot, and you don't want to start when it gets dark.

Im a little more hard core than most. On my last trip I stopped bringing plastic water bottles and bought a Katadyn base camp filter and had it run right into an ice chest so we didn't have a plastic trash can full of water barrels on the aft deck and didn't full up fridges and coolers with water bottles. Beer different story.

UD

I know it's Dangling Rope. Been to Powell 2 times before but 20+ years ago and I didn't run "the show". :D

2Driver

Reaction score
A neighbor rented last year out of Wahweap and had a bunch of minor issues including out of date watercraft cert. He complained without being a jerk and they refunded 1/2 his money.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
just looked its 40 miles to the rope at about 10 MPH and 20 gallons an hour thats about 84 (+1 gall per hour on genset) gallons to get to the first fuel and about 422 bones plus ice cream ice etc.

Thats one way - so if you only go that far and back you will have spent about 844 dollars on gas.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Since we are going out of Antelope (boat is reserved and dates are set...yeeha), what are some suggestions on where to set up shop? We will most likely pick a spot (possibly two at most) and stick with it and do the exploring on the boat and skis. I'd like to get a good map of Powell. Ideas on some good ones there?

Groceries - Page or bring them with you? We're coming from San Diego so it'll be a bit of a haul and I would like to spend one day in Zion if possible (it's hard to pass up Bumbleberry pie).

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Since we are going out of Antelope (boat is reserved and dates are set...yeeha), what are some suggestions on where to set up shop? We will most likely pick a spot (possibly two at most) and stick with it and do the exploring on the boat and skis. I'd like to get a good map of Powell. Ideas on some good ones there?

Groceries - Page or bring them with you? We're coming from San Diego so it'll be a bit of a haul and I would like to spend one day in Zion if possible (it's hard to pass up Bumbleberry pie).

Groceries- recommend precooking as much stuff as you can so you use the stovetop and oven as little as possible.
Freeze up some stuff at home and buy the fresh stuff in Page the night before you leave.

good laminated map.
http://www.amazon.com/Powell-Canyon...id=1406674163&sr=8-3&keywords=lake+powell+map

The stores in Paige have great lake maps.

Because the water level is always changes the lake isn't the same trip twice.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
just looked its 40 miles to the rope at about 10 MPH and 20 gallons an hour thats about 84 (+1 gall per hour on genset) gallons to get to the first fuel and about 422 bones plus ice cream ice etc.

Thats one way - so if you only go that far and back you will have spent about 844 dollars on gas.

UD

I was thinking more along the lines of finding a spot around Rock Creek Bay. That seems like a decent halfway point with what looks like lots of coves to park in. I want to be fairly close to replenishing the beer supply if necessary. :p The onboard auxiliary fuel tank holds an emergency 45 gallons if needed.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of finding a spot around Rock Creek Bay. That seems like a decent halfway point with what looks like lots of coves to park in. I want to be fairly close to replenishing the beer supply if necessary. :p The onboard auxiliary fuel tank holds an emergency 45 gallons if needed.

A solid choice.

On one trip it was so hot my aux tank vapor locked and I couldn't pump anything out of it.
Forced me to make an aux fuel run - way inconvenient and expensive.
Had the guy for the rental company at come take a look at it. Came to same conclusion.
Worked like a champ when I dropped it off at the end of the trip though.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
About 30 miles. Reasonable

UD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 4.53.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 4.53.53 PM.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 27

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
POUNDS and POUNDS of pre-cooked bacon. Can be used at all meals and/or snacks. Warm it for a minute on a griddle for breakfast, cold on a BLT at lunch, crumble up on salads, right from the bag for a mid day snack. So messy (and hot) to do in a houseboat, do it at home then into baggies in the cooler.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
A solid choice.

On one trip it was so hot my aux tank vapor locked and I couldn't pump anything out of it.
Forced me to make an aux fuel run - way inconvenient and expensive.
Had the guy for the rental company at come take a look at it. Came to same conclusion.
Worked like a champ when I dropped it off at the end of the trip though.

UD

Isn't that always the way of things?

About 30 miles. Reasonable

UD

That's what I was thinking. Not to far to get to Dangling D if I need gas or if I need to make a run to Page for additional supplies.

POUNDS and POUNDS of pre-cooked bacon. Can be used at all meals and/or snacks. Warm it for a minute on a griddle for breakfast, cold on a BLT at lunch, crumble up on salads, right from the bag for a mid day snack. So messy (and hot) to do in a houseboat, do it at home then into baggies in the cooler.

Wurd.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Not to far to get to Dangling D if I need gas or if I need to make a run to Page for additional supplies.

IF it works out its ideal. At this stage from the screen your destination at this point is merely a good idea.
You don't know what you will find or will be available once you are there.
With hundreds of houseboats on the lake existing beaches can fill up quick and some beaches are mud fields with tons of bugs.

Get a radio and have your runners scope out the bay and if they find it - sit on your spot till you arrive. Garmin Rhinos work great as they plot your buddies location on the lake itself when you chat.

If you have 6-8 peeps and shower luxuriously you'll be close to full on black/grey ( houseboats Ive rented just have fresh and black) and low on fresh about day 3/4- I'd head up to the rope in the AM and fuel and dump and start to come back down. This way you'll get the hassle out of the way early and be ready to head back to antelope by trips end.

The closer you are to antelope on the last day the better that day will be for you and your crew.

Oh- and the bacon tip- damm solid advice.

UD

Boat 405

Reaction score
Groceries in page. Safeway or wal mart. Easy to get either place. Lots of selection. The channel is rough middle of the day through padre and through to antelope. I'd go early morning or late evening. For a quick trip or beer run. Dangling rope is closest to rock creek area. Right now the castle rock cut is open so if you need more than dangling rope has to offer wahweap is closer than antelope maybe not in mileage but by smooth water.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
We use to go for 10 - 14 days. Bought almost all frozen stuff from COSTCO ahead of time, kept it frozen including burger patties, steaks, lasagna etc. We would usually fill a 160 qt ice chest with the frozen and only open it once a day. Buy all of the other stuff in Page the day we would get there. Rock Creek is a good spot to stop at. If you want to stay further up lake look at area around the confluence. Jacks Arch area or maybe Lluynen (sp?) Gulch. If you are running late after leaving the marina have one of your small boats go into Gunsite and see if there is a spot there. If you have the time a good spot to stay at is Cha Canyon up in the San Juan arm.

Another thing on the food........... there are shopping services in Page that will do all you shopping and put it on the boat for you, huge time saver.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
10-14 days!! I want to vacation with Gramps.

I been working too hard the last 20 years.

On another note - Gramps thanks for the feedback on Delta Volt.

I did a lot of research and concluded on that - ordered a Dual Pro 2 bank 20 amp and backing off the solution I'm using now.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
We use to go for 10 - 14 days. Bought almost all frozen stuff from COSTCO ahead of time, kept it frozen including burger patties, steaks, lasagna etc. We would usually fill a 160 qt ice chest with the frozen and only open it once a day. Buy all of the other stuff in Page the day we would get there. Rock Creek is a good spot to stop at. If you want to stay further up lake look at area around the confluence. Jacks Arch area or maybe Lluynen (sp?) Gulch. If you are running late after leaving the marina have one of your small boats go into Gunsite and see if there is a spot there. If you have the time a good spot to stay at is Cha Canyon up in the San Juan arm.

Another thing on the food........... there are shopping services in Page that will do all you shopping and put it on the boat for you, huge time saver.

Do tell? Do you have a name for the service or should I just call Tim at Dirty Deeds and have him make the drive. :D

Waterheater

Reaction score

Safeway in Page will do that. Call them and let them know what you want, they'll deliver it to the boat and put it away for you. When we we're out to Antelope on the 4th they were loading boats like crazy. I was actually surprised how many people do it. They have special carts with big container boxes on the back of them that they haul everything down in.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a quick trip or beer run. Dangling rope is closest to rock creek area.

Note: Dangling Rope is in Utah and they only sell 3.2 beer. Wahweap and Antelope both have great selections but are quite pricey compared to Safeway.

BigSteve

Reaction score

UD

We have done the houseboat deal a couple times

Forget it :D

A hotel for a couple with great A/C is a 100 bucks. Comes with a buffet breakfast and room service

Will Call, a order to pick up at Subway 50 bucks, feeds four people.

Boat 300 miles during the day and stop at the greatest sight seeing spots! costs 500 bucks in fuel

Nice dinner in town at night or at Antelope Marina 25 per person

It's the best bank for the buck to really see Powell for 250 dollars a day per person including 300 miles of action boating in the 28 Skater or 28 Daytona or less money if we boat fewer miles.
Powell gets rough at times, out of no where, it can get rougher than the Mohave bowl, on a bad day :finger

Powell has its own micro weather pattern. Powell is best with bigger boats, Houseboats and smaller boats can get in the wrong place and its very ugly to see boaters get in a life and death situation

We run Powell, like a slot car, The GPS has all the lines recorded .
We mark the rocks when the waters low !

Just one thing about Powell if you break down at the top of the river at Hite its 10 hrs one way from Antelope driving

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
We have done the houseboat deal a couple times

Forget it :D

A hotel for a couple with great A/C is a 100 bucks. Comes with a buffet breakfast and room service

Will Call, a order to pick up at Subway 50 bucks, feeds four people.

Boat 300 miles during the day and stop at the greatest sight seeing spots! costs 500 bucks in fuel

Nice dinner in town at night or at Antelope Marina 25 per person

It's the best bank for the buck to really see Powell for 250 dollars a day per person including 300 miles of action boating in the 28 Skater or 28 Daytona or less money if we boat fewer miles.
Powell gets rough at times, out of no where, it can get rougher than the Mohave bowl, on a bad day :finger

Powell has its own micro weather pattern. Powell is best with bigger boats, Houseboats and smaller boats can get in the wrong place and its very ugly to see boaters get in a life and death situation

We run Powell, like a slot car, The GPS has all the lines recorded .
We mark the rocks when the waters low !

Just one thing about Powell if you break down at the top of the river at Hite its 10 hrs one way from Antelope driving

Love to have your gps marks and your trips sounds like a blast.

Expense and time along with general irritation from newbys is why I dont do big houseboats anymore.
Ill do an adventure craft type and chase boat with 2 couples and save the 10K.
I wouldn't go out on my 20.8 without backup boat. My 28ft 24 degree v does fine.

Heres another scenario

Motorhome to the parking lot by the public the onramp in Page

Get up early and run the lake a full day at around 50-60 or so, fast enough to get around and see stuff, but not so fast you can't communicate or burn heavy fuel stop for lunch hit one fuel stop get back around sundown- load-er up for the night. Hit the Genny and Ac's and nod.
I get away better economy on big lakes than running to San diego from Del Rey.

UD

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Although I appreciate the opinions of other transportation methods, we will be sticking with the houseboat. My father in law may not be with us for many more years and I want to share this with him. It is one of my best boating memories in the past.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Note: Dangling Rope is in Utah and they only sell 3.2 beer. Wahweap and Antelope both have great selections but are quite pricey compared to Safeway.

Doh, forgot about that..... But then again I never really bought much beer from them, just enough usually to tide me over if I run out. Usually our trips are ten days and we rarely run out of booze... :D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Although I appreciate the opinions of other transportation methods, we will be sticking with the houseboat. My father in law may not be with us for many more years and I want to share this with him. It is one of my best boating memories in the past.

Id do the same thing if I were win your shoes.

UD

rvrmom

Reaction score
We had a great experience out of Wahweap. The porters were great. No problems with the HB. The only couple pieces of advice I can give are

Crockpot... Crockpot. Dump and go:D

You will or your wife will thank me later.. get one of those outdoor shower in a bag dealio's. You are going to spend so much time in and out of the water. When you get back to the HB .. your wife or the girls are going to wash their hair. It's like straw. I have no problem jumping in the water off the back of the boat and soap up but it was a PITA

Push the damn HB back LOL. So we had a bitchen cove for four day's and never pushed to boat back. UHHH problem LOL. We were more worried at first of the boat swinging or getting loose. Yeah that was notta a problem. Fock LOL. We spent at least 2 hours digging and pushing to get mofo off the beach.

You got lots of good advice as I did below is my link if ya wanna click through it. Lot's of inmates here with some good advice :thumbup: Have a ball :thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?77093-Beater-boat-vs-Powell