WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

extreme trailers

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
My brother took his '21 DeMarco to them on his old trailer and left the whole setup there in the winter as they were to build him a brand new triple axle to put underneath it. His boat was originally a ski race boat and has an outdrive, with a skag in nearly the center of the hull. Long story short, two months over on timeframe, he gets the call to pick it up. Walks in to check it out, and they built a crossmember directly behind the skag, making it physically impossible to float the boat off the trailer. Now they say they are swamped with work, as it is spring, and it takes them another 3 weeks to fix it. The fit and finish on the thing look like complete shit. They built each spring set on their own perches, so the axles look too far apart. Every time I see the boat on the trailer, I feel bad my brother has to live with it in his garage.

BMABITY

Reaction score
They suck, poor craftsmanship and even worse customer service. If you have a choice to not use them, I would!

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
They suck, poor craftsmanship and even worse customer service. If you have a choice to not use them, I would!

I agree with the first sentence. If not them, who?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
One of my trailers came apart from the frame rails at all the cross-members. This trailer held a 19' jet boat (not a heavy boat). Talk about a complete pile of shit.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Is this Ziemans fault? How do they stay in business with total tards running the show? Just asking. I find it hard to believe the stories can be this bad, where is QC? Where is line management? Maybe I should roll over there and run this, can't be that hard to fix and I have ZERO experience in building trailers, but just the few stories I read here I can guarantee that wouldn't occur under my watch. Which leads me to believe there are some things missing here.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My brother took his '21 DeMarco to them on his old trailer and left the whole setup there in the winter as they were to build him a brand new triple axle to put underneath it. His boat was originally a ski race boat and has an outdrive, with a skag in nearly the center of the hull. Long story short, two months over on timeframe, he gets the call to pick it up. Walks in to check it out, and they built a crossmember directly behind the skag, making it physically impossible to float the boat off the trailer. Now they say they are swamped with work, as it is spring, and it takes them another 3 weeks to fix it. The fit and finish on the thing look like complete shit. They built each spring set on their own perches, so the axles look too far apart. Every time I see the boat on the trailer, I feel bad my brother has to live with it in his garage.

No travelers? hoa that aint good.

Scott E

Reaction score
Tell the builder, "I want X company to build my trailer". If they say "no", then they're not a custom builder so go elsewhere.

I'm not sure it is that easy. I may be wrong here, but I think if the builders are including the trailer in the boat purchase then they have provide you with a trailer that meets some federal certification. Additionally, last I heard not all of the trailer builders have this certification. Again, I could be wrong but this is how it was explained to me a few years ago. Anyone know the real scoop?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is that easy. I may be wrong here, but I think if the builders are including the trailer in the boat purchase then they have provide you with a trailer that meets some federal certification. Additionally, last I heard not all of the trailer builders have this certification. Again, I could be wrong but this is how it was explained to me a few years ago. Anyone know the real scoop?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Federal Government figured out how to get it's greasy, greedy pig like hands in boat trailer building too.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure NGE had it about right.. LOL Because if I said I wanted a brand X trailer and they said no, I'd say see ya.

RD

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Is this Ziemans fault? How do they stay in business with total tards running the show? Just asking. I find it hard to believe the stories can be this bad, where is QC? Where is line management? Maybe I should roll over there and run this, can't be that hard to fix and I have ZERO experience in building trailers, but just the few stories I read here I can guarantee that wouldn't occur under my watch. Which leads me to believe there are some things missing here.

I agree with you regarding the QA. As I said in another thread, you would think that a business in an industry which relies upon disposable income, would have better QA and ensure their product is perfect before leaving the factory.

Especially with how quickly bad publicity on the old inter-web can fuck up their good name faster than shaking your wiener twice at the bathroom urinal.

PVHCA

Reaction score

Are most of the boat builders still using Extreme? If they are they must be "dumb fucks" after hearing these nightmares.:rolleyes

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I bought a BRAND NEW triple axle Extreme for my boat in 2006. I have no complaints about how it tows at all, It actually tows very nice. It runs straight and true, tracks like a slot car, and has just about the perfect amount of tongue weight. The fit and finish is mediocre at best. My biggest complaint is that the paint SUCKS. It needs a complete re-paint after 8 years.

Dave

SCBLLC

Reaction score
Tell the builder, "I want X company to build my trailer". If they say "no", then they're not a custom builder so go elsewhere.

Not that simple if they don't have the hull spec's on the boat being built. But once they have a boat to build the trailer for then it a piece of cake to duplicate. And for some one to get Certified it costs a bunch of money up front and then there's the liability insurance. To many Ambulance chasers out there. I used to buy from VIP Trailers in Chandler, they won't shell out the money the money that it takes to start building again.

hallett21

Reaction score
Not that simple if they don't have the hull spec's on the boat being built. But once they have a boat to build the trailer for then it a piece of cake to duplicate. And for some one to get Certified it costs a bunch of money up front and then there's the liability insurance. To many Ambulance chasers out there. I used to buy from VIP Trailers in Chandler, they won't shell out the money the money that it takes to start building again.

Why wouldn't the custom boat builder just send them the hull specs? It's in their best interest to get their product on what the customer wants.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That's what everyone always says, but Trevor did it all on the up and up and he wasn't exactly rolling in the dough when he started Hampton trailers. He was insured and had MSO's and was legit across the board.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I bought a BRAND NEW triple axle Extreme for my boat in 2006. I have no complaints about how it tows at all, It actually tows very nice. It runs straight and true, tracks like a slot car, and has just about the perfect amount of tongue weight. The fit and finish is mediocre at best. My biggest complaint is that the paint SUCKS. It needs a complete re-paint after 8 years.

Dave

That's before zieman bought them and the quality dropped.

hallett21

Reaction score
Now I'm confused. Does a trailer company need to be certified for every boat they build a trailer for? Or just an overall certification to put trailers on the road? Plus liability insurance

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

I wouldn't hire a trailer mfg to build a trailer if he gave me that excuse. The specs could be obtained pretty damn easily. Most builders and glass shops have shop trailers sitting around the yards that he could get the measurements from. The boat builder is in the boat business to sell boats, not trailers. If he doesn't want to help make the trailer building process easy for me and the chosen mfg, then I'd go elsewhere.

Scott E

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure NGE had it about right.. LOL Because if I said I wanted a brand X trailer and they said no, I'd say see ya.

RD

I didn't say you couldn't get the trailer from whatever trailer builder you wanted. Rather you may have to purchase it separately from the boat builder which may not be easy for everyone to do. Again, that is the way it was explained to me a few years ago, not sure if that is still the case.

FWIW, we have an Extreme that we took delivery of in December of 2006 and it is fine, no issues whatsoever. But I think that is prior to the Zieman buyout of Extreme.

robby dmax

Reaction score

Dave
Dave..
I have the same thing as you trailer tows great...BUT the paint was horrible so I had them repainted.. Then this is were the fun began I will post a new thread later on tonight with a full story. :D

sfury

Reaction score
I bought my 2006 JC Tri toon from boats of Nevada and the owner of that dealership stated the owner of Extreme and him were good friends. He pitched me on the trailer being better quality than the Competitive trailer Boat Brokers used. It took me a day to notice all the bunks were welded 1" to the right so the boat sits 1" to the right. It works and tows fine and they offered to repair it but once repaired they never look new IMO. The paint is holding up great but then again it's garaged. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406677335.643918.jpg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Shadow Trailers

www.shadowtrailers.com

3/16 inch Wall Tubing
4 inch Drop 3500 - 5200 lb. Axles
Leaf Spring Suspension
14 - 15 inch Radial Tires
Chrome Wheels View Styles
Diamond Plate Steps
Spare Tire Location
Submersible Inset LED Lighting
1500 lb. XLT Winch
1500 lb. Swivel Jack or 7000 lb. Drop Leg Jack
Carpeted Fender Skirts
2 inch or 2-5/16 inch Coupler
5 Flat or 7 Blade Wiring
Double Safety Cables
Powder Coated Finish

16' - 18' Boats Includes: 3700 lb. Single Axle $4,495.00
19' - 23' Boats Includes: 3700 lb. Tandem Axles & Disc Brakes $5,995.00
24' - 26' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Tandem Axles & Disc Brakes $6,495.00
27' - 29' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Triple Axles & Dual Disc Brakes $8,995.00
30' - 33' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Triple Axles & Dual Disc Brakes $9,995.00

tunnel vision

Reaction score
I have a three week old Extreme coming in tomorrow for me to rework, Triple axle, pontoon boat weighs 7600 lbs. tongue weight is 1000 lbs! Hooking up to the tow rig it bows the tongue 4 1/2-5"! Boat sits 9" forward of the rear bunks, in other words there's 9" of bunk sticking out behind the boat. My customer has called Extreme/Zeiman four times and no return phone call or email. It's in his attorneys hands now.

Singleton

Reaction score
Zeiman built my trailer in 2007. I had a few issues with it and I know JW had to yell at them more then once to fix it right. It has towed great since day 1. However the bunks had to be fixed twice and reprinted once with 1 year of ownership.

nowski

Reaction score
If your a big time trailer manufacturer why wouldn't you powder coat? Less productive? Too expensive? Need a really big oven?

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
If your a big time trailer manufacturer why wouldn't you powder coat? Less productive? Too expensive? Need a really big oven?

Cost cutting and growing your bottom line. Their days are numbered as someone else posted.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Idk but it seems like it would be worth the expense.

Malibuvride07

Reaction score
Got mine in 2007 for my rollbar boat. It came half painted....literally only the top and sides nothing on the bottom....and got recalled for the swing tongue within a month. Tows great but as stated previously paint and QA sucked. That and the car sized tires that nobody stocks so when u blow one out on the way home you are screwed....grumble

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score

Trail Rite did a bitchen job for my 18 footer this winter. Included the following:

GVWR 2999 (would have been 3500 but I opted out of brakes cause the boat is light)
Tandem axle
Fender pads
Prop guard with rollers
Guides
LED lights
Winch
Aluminum steps
Chrome wheels

Out the door for $3500. Brakes were $400 more if I remember correctly

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406683427.599086.jpg

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

I know it's hard to find an oven that big. It's also not cost effective to have an oven that big because if your not doing a huge trailer who wants to heat 350-400sq ft to do some small job.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Plus powder coating is not UV resistant and would require a clear coating over it to make it UV.

I know it's hard to find an oven that big. It's also not cost effective to have an oven that big because if your not doing a huge trailer who wants to heat 350-400sq ft to do some small job.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Best thing I can say is that it fits my cobra very well.
Part I do not like is the spare tire rack .The older trailers were really nice .
The new ones are not built the same . :(
I guess as long as it supports the hull right.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Plus powder coating is not UV resistant and would require a clear coating over it to make it UV.

Would that be a twice baked trailer . Once for color second for clear . Would be like the twice baked potatoes . Ha ha . Didn't Alan Hensley powder coat ?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Not sure what Hensley did but his old parter, Chuck painted his trailers.

Would that be a twice baked trailer . Once for color second for clear . Would be like the twice baked potatoes . Ha ha . Didn't Alan Hensley powder coat ?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

That's what I understood about Powdercoat also. You need the clear with uv protection.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

I had my trailer reworked at adrenaline in havasu, new fenders, swing tongue, new fender inners so the fenders "float" (not attached at either end to the trailer and they welded up a tongue jack and rebuilt all of the bearings. They did great work at a good price and I don't see any reason they could build a trailer from scratch.

I'm towing it to kings coatings in Anaheim for Powdercoating, they have a 23 foot oven.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Wow trailer got here tonight, it's for a new Premier Entertainer 26', 10' wide with. merc 350 verado OB. 1/8" x 2" x 5" side rails and 1/8" x 2" x 3" cross members. Then the customer tells me the brakes don't work at all, what's wrong with this company...

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

You can powder coat up to about 24-25' because they will hang it on its side and on an angle.
I know he did some but I'm not sure he did all of them.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Wow trailer got here tonight, it's for a new Premier Entertainer 26', 10' wide with. merc 350 verado OB. 1/8" x 2" x 5" side rails and 1/8" x 2" x 3" cross members. Then the customer tells me the brakes don't work at all, what's wrong with this company...

Top notch ! Guess the devil was in the details during the purchase . That sucks

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

So are you doing warranty work for the manufacturer or is this a customer pay deal and he gets to fight it out with the manufacturer?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's before zieman bought them and the quality dropped.

Zeiman was bought by Lippard (sp?) and then they bought Extreme etc..

Shadow Trailers

www.shadowtrailers.com

3/16 inch Wall Tubing
4 inch Drop 3500 - 5200 lb. Axles
Leaf Spring Suspension
14 - 15 inch Radial Tires
Chrome Wheels View Styles
Diamond Plate Steps
Spare Tire Location
Submersible Inset LED Lighting
1500 lb. XLT Winch
1500 lb. Swivel Jack or 7000 lb. Drop Leg Jack
Carpeted Fender Skirts
2 inch or 2-5/16 inch Coupler
5 Flat or 7 Blade Wiring
Double Safety Cables
Powder Coated Finish

16' - 18' Boats Includes: 3700 lb. Single Axle $4,495.00
19' - 23' Boats Includes: 3700 lb. Tandem Axles & Disc Brakes $5,995.00
24' - 26' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Tandem Axles & Disc Brakes $6,495.00
27' - 29' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Triple Axles & Dual Disc Brakes $8,995.00
30' - 33' Boats Includes: 5200 lb. Triple Axles & Dual Disc Brakes $9,995.00

Man I forgot all about those guys.. I always liked that trailer they built for the LA show that fits a 21 and a golf cart and has the rotary table on the front.

I have a three week old Extreme coming in tomorrow for me to rework, Triple axle, pontoon boat weighs 7600 lbs. tongue weight is 1000 lbs! Hooking up to the tow rig it bows the tongue 4 1/2-5"! Boat sits 9" forward of the rear bunks, in other words there's 9" of bunk sticking out behind the boat. My customer has called Extreme/Zeiman four times and no return phone call or email. It's in his attorneys hands now.

That sucks..

PowderCoating fades if it's left outside.. Especially if it's red. Paint will last longer but won't hold up as well to rock chips.

Trail Rite did a bitchen job for my 18 footer this winter. Included the following:

GVWR 2999 (would have been 3500 but I opted out of brakes cause the boat is light)
Tandem axle
Fender pads
Prop guard with rollers
Guides
LED lights
Winch
Aluminum steps
Chrome wheels

Out the door for $3500. Brakes were $400 more if I remember correctly

View attachment 356002

Trail Right never built flashy trailers, but if you ever goto a boat mfg and look at all their yard trailers most of them are trail rights.. They last FOREVER..

Even then, results aren't that great on fading.

I had my trailer reworked at adrenaline in havasu, new fenders, swing tongue, new fender inners so the fenders "float" (not attached at either end to the trailer and they welded up a tongue jack and rebuilt all of the bearings. They did great work at a good price and I don't see any reason they could build a trailer from scratch.

I'm towing it to kings coatings in Anaheim for Powdercoating, they have a 23 foot oven.

If it was me, I'd save yourself the trip, and tow that thing over to Summit Karl's house and let him paint it for half the price.. Couple years down the road, paint it again if you get some rock chips.

P.S. I like floating fenders as well.. Did them on both my last 2 trailer builds for my minis.

Are you saying the main rails and cross members should be thicker wall? Post some pics of this thing, I'd like to see it.

So are you doing warranty work for the manufacturer or is this a customer pay deal and he gets to fight it out with the manufacturer?

In his earlier post he said it is going to an attorney.. So the customer would pay him, and then sue Extreme.

RD