WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water main break by ucla

Joker

Reaction score
Damn,
This is causing some damage. Live on cbs now.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Saw it online, wifes biz has a contract with DWP, looks like some night work tonight/LOL

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
Damn! What a shit show. I bet metro water is going ape shit right now. It just goes to show that our water distribution infrastructure is beyond its breaking point and needs to be replaced

grumpy88

Reaction score
Got to love they brought swift water rescue out for a water main break .same shit happened last time they limited our water usage

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
I was watching g channel 7 news when a caller said he was with DWP. Says someone put a cherry bomb down a toilet or someone took a massive dump. Took them a while until they figured it was hoax call. I was laughing my ass off, when another caller says he's a UCLA student and his car is underwater in the parking garage. He said he was most bummed because he had 7 grams of solid crack in the car., oops another hoax. To freaking funny!!!

grumpy88

Reaction score
I was watching g channel 7 news when a caller said he was with DWP. Says someone put a cherry bomb down a toilet or someone took a massive dump. Took them a while until they figured it was hoax call. I was laughing my ass off, when another caller says he's a UCLA student and his car is underwater in the parking garage. He said he was most bummed because he had 7 grams of solid crack in the car., oops another hoax. To freaking funny!!!

Glad I was not the only one to see that . Was really funny .

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Been going since 4pm and they want us to conserve water. You think they would be able to just flip a switch to shut it off.

Struv

Reaction score
Isn't even a drop in the bucket on what we use for lawns.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Been going since 4pm and they want us to conserve water. You think they would be able to just flip a switch to shut it off.

If anything, they might need to close two mainline block valves to isolate the section.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Surprised the dipshits haven't figured it out yet.

A 30 inch pipe holds a lot of pressure, but by isolating by closing a block valve, there is no reason why it should over pressure anything else. Pressure/flow will travel by the path of least resistance.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Saying 36K gallons per minute and this been going on since 4pm. :yikes

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I just heard that the first call of this rupture coming in a 3:24pm ... two + hours later and still flowing?!?!

They also say that they need to close mainline vales very slowly as to not rupture other lines ... WTF? How much pressure are these lines holding?

One of our 24" lines run at about 600psi ... sections can be isolated and drained down using elevation within minutes.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I just heard that the first call of this rupture coming in a 3:24pm ... two + hours later and still flowing?!?!

They also say that they need to close mainline vales very slowly as to not rupture other lines ... WTF? How much pressure are these lines holding?

One of our 24" lines run at about 600psi ... sections can be isolated and drained down using elevation within minutes.

Its the age of the 100 year old pipes that will blow apart if they shut it off quickly.

They've been giving themselves crazy raises and pensions instead of replacing antiquated infrastructure :thumbsup

Faceaz

Reaction score

Don't think it's completely the pressure, age & earthquake area probably have them taking extra precaution. Water line sucks, but when we start seeing this from aged Natural Gas Lines, shit will really hit the fan.

Struv

Reaction score
Its the age of the 100 year old pipes that will blow apart if they shut it off quickly.

They've been giving themselves crazy raises and pensions instead of replacing antiquated infrastructure :thumbsup

Ya, the infrastructure needs replacing, not only LA but many of the large cities in the US. Time to get serious about it.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score

Don't think it's completely the pressure, age & earthquake area probably have them taking extra precaution. Water line sucks, but when we start seeing this from aged Natural Gas Lines, shit will really hit the fan.

Completely understandable ... but there are leak prevention devices that can detect weak areas to prevent a situation like this.

With our petroleum lines ( the oldest being since 1958) we are required to run leak protection devices every 5 years ( if not more frequently ... if needed) to detect weak spots in the line. Once we get a report back siting something that may be an issue, that section of line is replaced.

Once again, the flow will go to the path of least resistance. The pipe is supposed to be rated for a certain max pressure ... usually far exceeding what is on the line.

Lots of questions will come from this.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Ya, the infrastructure needs replacing, not only LA but many of the large cities in the US. Time to get serious about it.

Its below ground so kind of out of sight out of mind but you'd think that 100 year old piping would be beyond its usefulness for todays population.

Hope they have plans to begin replacing. They're having lots of breaks daily. A buddy of mine makes good money in the flood/fire restoration industry. His largest customer.... DWP lol

Struv

Reaction score
Its below ground so kind of out of sight out of mind but you'd think that 100 year old piping would be beyond its usefulness for todays population.

Hope they have plans to begin replacing. They're having lots of breaks daily. A buddy of mine makes good money in the flood/fire restoration industry. His largest customer.... DWP lol

Completely agree

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Completely understandable ... but there are leak prevention devices that can detect weak areas to prevent a situation like this.

With our petroleum lines ( the oldest being since 1958) we are required to run leak protection devices every 5 years ( if not more frequently ... if needed) to detect weak spots in the line. Once we get a report back siting something that may be an issue, that section of line is replaced.

Once again, the flow will go to the path of least resistance. The pipe is supposed to be rated for a certain max pressure ... usually far exceeding what is on the line.

Lots of questions will come from this.

Your oil is deemed hazardous once it is pulled up out of the ground (go figure). Water isn't. I suspect your industry has much tighter guidelines to adhere to. They'll stretch the life expectancy of a water line if possible.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Your oil is deemed hazardous once it is pulled up out of the ground (go figure). Water isn't. I suspect your industry has much tighter guidelines to adhere to. They'll stretch the life expectancy of a water line if possible.

I do agree ... but now that all this water is saturating the oil packed street and pushing all the shit from the gutters into the ocean, questions might arise as to why this wasn't preventable. Even if we never hear about it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Let the pranking begin...DWP spokesperson Louis Slungpoo, says someone may have taken a massive dump LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Us in the trade call it a water hammer. :p

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We've had a contract with DWP for the last 3 years, we have 1 planer working for them 4 days a week all over the city for retrofit jons, They are years behind and this is one more example.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I like the crank caller calling cherry bombs explosives,
Classic cranker

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I do agree ... but now that all this water is saturating the oil packed street and pushing all the shit from the gutters into the ocean, questions might arise as to why this wasn't preventable. Even if we never hear about it.

Nothing you can really do to prevent a blow out on old pipes. Especially ductile iron. We get blow outs on a much smaller scale due to we only can work on the private side and the pipes are anywhere from 4"-8". Installation and new types of pipes has helped. Big $$$ when we get a UG blowout call. :p

nordictom

Reaction score
LADWP will be getting the check book out to cover the damages. I saw this first hand about 20 years ago when one of our flanges let go up on Sunset near the House of Blues & again when a water hammer broke a 68"(?) line at Portola Parkway in Irvine. The Company Lawyers & Accountants show up with a release in one hand & the check in the, aka "sign this, get this".

BTW, you don't turn off one of these line like your garden hose........the water that continued to flow, was draining the line & if the valves are as old as the pipes, they don't close too good, so now they will be dealing with nuisance water "UGH".:grumble:

NT

Meaney77

Reaction score
Hard to believe it took over 4 hours to turn the water off according to the news...someone fucked up.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Slungpoo caller is a 35 yr old fireman, too funny

LowRiver2

Reaction score
DWP advised the schedule to fix all LA water lines is 300 years(!)

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I'm down here right now hopefully I can get some good pics

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Here now, my project did not flood luckily. Im gonna walk over and check out the damage in a bit

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've lived in metro Atlanta and Houston for last 40 years. Both suffer water and sewer infrastructure issues costing them big time. Atlanta's sewers are in horrible shape. Backup into older area homes is disastrous.

The last couple years of drought in Houston had waterlines leaking everywhere. Leaks numbered in the 1,000's and residents were furious as many took well over a year just o get them dug up and located, much less properly repaired. The huge amounts of water lost was astronomical.

Big issues all municipalities suffer while government gives money away in foreign aid. We're going to drown in our own shit. It's a financial "Cherrybomb"....:yikes

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Today's news is 10 million gallons is the estimated water loss and the line was installed in 1921.....93 years old? No wonder.....:yikes

rivergames

Reaction score
Yeah, really pissed off me and my buddies 'cause they wouldn't let us play in the ditch the day they installed that pipe......

That ditch would have been a great slip n slide all the way to marina del rey :cool:thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
To save the water lost, the water dept offices should have their water turned off and be provided with portapotties and handwash stations....oh and all water coolers donated to AmVets.[emoji1]
It's a problem for any aging city that grew exponentially in the last 80 years. Bet you they never expected the mainlines to last 100 years and/or that a gazillion million people would be tapped into it. It has outlived its life expectancy and engineered properties. Im sure the pressures were increased over the years to make up for the lack of volume it could carry as the load increased with more homes.
Hope they can patch it up but seriously, its time to think about upgrading the underground delivery system.