Reaction score
Year:2001 - (New to me in 2013)
Make: Ultra Custom Boats
Model:247xs
Length:25'
Engine: 496 Mag with 3.5psi Pro charger - 500HP
Propulsion: Bravo I
Prop: 26P / 28P Bravo 4 blade
Top speed: 75mph (seller claimed 80 but I haven't seen it yet)
Pros: Stepped hull runs really smooth at speed. Cruises comfortably in the 55 - 65 range. Has strong acceleration with the right propeller. Cruises with 8 comfortably. Nice timeless graphics. Wanted a top speed over 70.

Cons:The boat is wetter than I expected for a 25. The integrated rear step and large engine package make water wash up the back when slowing down more than expected. Not a major problem but certainly something to be aware of. The boat is very narrow which makes the interior smaller than my 80's era 21' Eliminator was. I'm nervous about a stock 496 Mag with a procharger. (If it pops, in goes a 540), It's a big boat!

Overall: I bought the boat as a mid cuddy. I wanted a bigger, faster and more comfortable ride. I thought it would be great to have shaded area. My wife insisted upon walk through. (Good idea!).
In the end - I hated the mid cuddy seats and the step down ended up being a hole for stuff to fall into or trip on. I put in a new interior and took out the mid cuddy. I now have tons of storage including two coolers. I also have full length ski lockers. It's been a lot of work- new interior, new gages, complete trailer rebuild, new stereo system. It's now my baby. The larger size makes the family feel safe. I like the performance. After a rewire with fuse block, rigging is good and solid. She's heavy and more work to move than my old 21 but much nicer on the water. One of my goals was that I didn't want to go from a nice sporty 21 to an ocean liner. She feels pretty big but the power gives her good performance. We're still getting to know each other but looking forward to many great years!

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 460
  • Interior 4.jpg
    Interior 4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 418
  • iPhone 10-28-12 331.jpg
    iPhone 10-28-12 331.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 407

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Nice review. Take the teague stickers off. Probably costing the extra few mph :thumbup: :D

Ultra247

Reaction score
Teague stickers are already gone. That was part of the wet sand when I did the new interior. I hope it will get me back that couple of mph!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Teague stickers are already gone. That was part of the wet sand when I did the new interior. I hope it will get me back that couple of mph!

Hahaha NICE!!!! :D. Very sharp looking boat :thumbup:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Side note, that boat would run 72 mph with the Mercury Scorpion Small Block in it. (I have been in one and seen it personally). The hulls gets to be a little squirley on bigger #'s from what I have been told (never experienced). Back when DCB built it they built a blown small block in one and it was my favorite looking boat of the era.

RD

LB247XS

Reaction score
I also own a 247XS mine is a 2000. I have nothing bad to say about mine except I wish I had more horsepower I run a 7.4 MPI and a lab finished Bravo 1 22 pitch prop. I can get it up to 69 70 miles an hour trimmed up no tabs andthe Bimini top down I personally love the Cuddy and I use the step down in the floor to store my cooler. Only thing is it rides really light in big water but add a little tab to it and she settles in just fine.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423171765320.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171765320.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 279
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423171801229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171801229.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 263
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423171835327.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171835327.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 304
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423171865570.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171865570.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 279
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423171901566.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171901566.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 269
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423171930265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171930265.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 276

HBCraig

Reaction score
Rd is correct on being squirly, but trim tabs cure that right up.

I have the 496HO and flashed the ECM. I see in pretty good numbers considering it being stock for the most part. It is definitely a run boat to drive. DSC_4673.jpg DSC_0514.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
Im not really a bigger boat fan i like my eliminator207 but if i were to get another boat the 247 would probably be the top of the list or 25daytona a close 2nd.

They have nice lines and perform well.

blownrat505

Reaction score
Hi guys, just curious if you guys put on the trim tabs or came with them? what would be the factor in determining if you need them or not.
we have had our 04 ultra 247XS about 8 years now and really never felt the need for them. with the 496 HO she runs at 72ish and very stable. lake & boat 019.jpg

LB247XS

Reaction score
Hi guys, just curious if you guys put on the trim tabs or came with them? what would be the factor in determining if you need them or not.
we have had our 04 ultra 247XS about 8 years now and really never felt the need for them. with the 496 HO she runs at 72ish and very stable. View attachment 389669
Ours had tabs when I bought the boat.so I have never drove or rode in a 247XS other than mine.so I drive mine like she likes it.in semi smooth water I don't touch the tabs only in the Havasu afternoon chop they get used.hope this helps answer you question . beautiful 247XS you got there👍👍👍👍👍

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
we have had our 04 ultra 247XS about 8 years now and really never felt the need for them. with the 496 HO she runs at 72ish and very stable. View attachment 389669

Gorgeous picture (and boat). Is that Lake Pleasant?

Ultra247

Reaction score
Mine also had tabs on it when I bought it. I added external dual ram hydraulic steering. That was fun! It makes it run more stable at speed. The pro charger certainly helps with the horsepower issue.

The ride and performance of the 247 are much nicer than my 21 Eliminator.

Nice looking Gel coat schemes guys. I really love Blownrat505's graphics. Nice colors.

Attachments

• IMG_1055 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1055 - Copy.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 248

Ultra247

Reaction score
I also went a little gauge crazy but it's nice to know what is going on.

Attachments

• IMG_1057 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1057 - Copy.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 303

Ultra247

Reaction score
Here's my current screen saver...

Attachments

• Ultra 247 Parker 091314.jpg
    Ultra 247 Parker 091314.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 251

HBCraig

Reaction score
I ordered mine with the tabs. I have the Dana HP 900 tabs.

My Eliminator had the Bennett tabs. From my experience, both are good but the Dana tabs are much faster in terms of cycle time.

They help not only with the high speed chine walk but with the cross swells in choppy situations.

blownrat505

Reaction score
I ordered mine with the tabs. I have the Dana HP 900 tabs.

My Eliminator had the Bennett tabs. From my experience, both are good but the Dana tabs are much faster in terms of cycle time.

They help not only with the high speed chine walk but with the cross swells in choppy situations.

thanks everyone! we do love our ride. you all have some nice boats. how about another Question, something that bugs my wife alot is the black rubber on the deck comes off on to feet and clothes then to the interior. has anyone done something different with theirs or replace the rubber. i had the idea of taking them off and replace with new
but i dont think i can get them off without destroying them.
thoughts?

LB247XS

Reaction score
thanks everyone! we do love our ride. you all have some nice boats. how about another Question, something that bugs my wife alot is the black rubber on the deck comes off on to feet and clothes then to the interior. has anyone done something different with theirs or replace the rubber. i had the idea of taking them off and replace with new
but i dont think i can get them off without destroying them.
thoughts?
Are you talking about the billett plates with the rubber inserts on the back swimstep area.if so I've never had that issue

Ultra247

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the black coming off of my rear step plates either. The plates used to be made by Dana Marine. You can probably get new ones from Marine Industries West now if you need them. If I had that problem, it would probably be due to the rubber breaking down. If that's the case, replace them. They also offer the rear steps in machined billet without the rubber inserts but I suspect they would be pretty slippery.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the black coming off of my rear step plates either. The plates used to be made by Dana Marine. You can probably get new ones from Marine Industries West now if you need them. If I had that problem, it would probably be due to the rubber breaking down. If that's the case, replace them. They also offer the rear steps in machined billet without the rubber inserts but I suspect they would be pretty slippery.

I have billet inserts on the swim step and they get extremely hot. Brutally hot.

bocco

Reaction score
I recently purchased the DCB version of this boat. A 97 24HP with a Merc 500HP. Upgrade from an Eliminator V-drive 20.5 sport cruiser.

First I have to agree with comments on manuverability. Even with the V-drive my wife drove it on and off the trailer like a pro. On wide busy ramps I could drop the trailer any where and she would just drive straight on. The DCB does not seem conducive to driving on the trailer.

One of the first things I noticed was the low speed wander. At 5pmh it's all over the place. I remember other I/O boats doing this but not as bad. The steering sems tight enough. It's single ram external hydraulic and it seems fine at speed. Also adding to the driving on to the trailer problem.

So far the best I've seen speed wise is 75. It doesn't seen to like to much trim at speed. I think that may have to do with the IMCO shorty. I'm used to feeling I/o boats sort of break loose with trim and fly. this boat stays and with to much trim I can start to feel the prop ventilate.

Mine doesn't have tabs but it's sounding like a worth while upgrade.

I still can't believe DCB built that boat with a swim ladder. It's an easy add on. Also no drink holders for the front seats. Really? The seats under the closed bow are useless. I'm gonna yank them and build in some storage and a solid place for the cooler.

rvrrat350

Reaction score
I recently purchased the DCB version of this boat. A 97 24HP with a Merc 500HP. Upgrade from an Eliminator V-drive 20.5 sport cruiser.

First I have to agree with comments on manuverability. Even with the V-drive my wife drove it on and off the trailer like a pro. On wide busy ramps I could drop the trailer any where and she would just drive straight on. The DCB does not seem conducive to driving on the trailer.

One of the first things I noticed was the low speed wander. At 5pmh it's all over the place. I remember other I/O boats doing this but not as bad. The steering sems tight enough. It's single ram external hydraulic and it seems fine at speed. Also adding to the driving on to the trailer problem.

So far the best I've seen speed wise is 75. It doesn't seen to like to much trim at speed. I think that may have to do with the IMCO shorty. I'm used to feeling I/o boats sort of break loose with trim and fly. this boat stays and with to much trim I can start to feel the prop ventilate.

Mine doesn't have tabs but it's sounding like a worth while upgrade.

I still can't believe DCB built that boat with a swim ladder. It's an easy add on. Also no drink holders for the front seats. Really? The seats under the closed bow are useless. I'm gonna yank them and build in some storage and a solid place for the cooler.
Tabs work great! just tap them down a lil bit and really help at the higher speeds

heres a few pics of mine ....give you an idea for the mid cabin seats
was told it was of the last ones before they sold off mold
377768_10150391025634844_1553431771_n.jpg
380023_10150391025509844_2017395316_n.jpg
392208_10150408756419844_2061448991_n.jpg

bocco

Reaction score
Tabs work great! just tap them down a lil bit and really help at the higher speeds

heres a few pics of mine ....give you an idea for the mid cabin seats
was told it was of the last ones before they sold off mold

Yes that's the sort of thing I had in mind. Probably do just one cooler and some kind storage cabinet on the other side. And wow, yours came with a glove box in the dashboard.

How does your boat track at idle speed? Mine will not go straight.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yes that's the sort of thing I had in mind. Probably do just one cooler and some kind storage cabinet on the other side. And wow, yours came with a glove box in the dashboard.

My 247 walks a little at idle too.

RvrRat is right about the trim tabs. I have the Dana tabs on mine and they help out tremendously. The hull likes to get out of the water and run. Trim it out and let'er rip. Click the tabs down a bit and it smooth out the ride.

I have some storage picks of mine somewhere. I will try to find them. I have a cooler on the port side and storage on starboard. I special ordered it that way from Ultra.

LB247XS

Reaction score
Mine also walks a little bit at idle so I actually dropped the tabs a little bit while I'm cruising out in the marina or through the channel in Havasu helps keep it straight

rvrrat350

Reaction score

With no throttle at all it kinda like to go all over the place
got kinda good at counter steering it over time
let a friend drive it out of the channel back to crazy horse cause he wasn't drinkin and i wanted to and he was havin a hell of a time ...the way he was drivin you woulda thought he was hammered :D

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I worked at a dealer in the early 90's that sold Ultra boats, really nice jell coat workmanship and seemed to be well built. 20+ years later I have an Eliminator 25 Eagle XP that looks a lot like the Ultra 24tsx. It looks identical to these actually. Is it the same hull and deck? Love the color schemes of the Ultras, pure SO Cal hot boat. Reading through the owners likes and dislikes they are the same as mine with the Eliminator.

rvrrat350

Reaction score
I worked at a dealer in the early 90's that sold Ultra boats, really nice jell coat workmanship and seemed to be well built. 20+ years later I have an Eliminator 25 Eagle XP that looks a lot like the Ultra 24tsx. It looks identical to these actually. Is it the same hull and deck? Love the color schemes of the Ultras, pure SO Cal hot boat. Reading through the owners likes and dislikes they are the same as mine with the Eliminator.

Pretty sure they were Eliminators first.....Dave @ DCB (and tony i think also) worked at eliminator before starting DCB
started out rigging bare hulls
My boat is the DCB 24 extreme
remember them say it was retooled a lil when they got the hull
and mine (2000) was one of the last one before they sold the mold to Ultra/ lightning and think Genesis? also used the mold

GregG

Reaction score
Pretty sure they were Eliminators first.....Dave @ DCB (and tony i think also) worked at eliminator before starting DCB
started out rigging bare hulls
My boat is the DCB 24 extreme
remember them say it was retooled a lil when they got the hull
and mine (2000) was one of the last one before they sold the mold to Ultra/ lightning and think Genesis? also used the mold

Good info 350 and mostly correct. I may have a few minor twists wrong but Dave was doing the rigging for Leach back in the day. The 24 is a direct descendant of the 22 Extreme. Dave actually bought the 22 molds from Eliminator and then built the first DCB 22 Extreme model in 1995 which was the same pad bottom design with very minor tweaks. Then, I believe in 1997 he made a significant change to the 22 and created the 22 Extreme "HP" which had a step in it. He also built one or two 22 Extremes for Outboard power and rigged them with Promax 300's. At about the same time DCB added the integrated swim platform to the base 22 and that created the 24. The actual running surface of the two boats is identical. It's just an add on swim platform. I believe that DCB offered the 24 model in both the Extreme and the Extreme HP variants. Which one do you have? Then, your correct, in 1999 DCB sold the molds to Johnny West at Ultra. At least in 1999 Dave sold the 22 Extreme mold. Perhaps then then in 2000 he sold West the 24. John turned the DCB 22 Extreme into the 1999 Ultra Custom Boats 23XS. Measure a 23XS and it is actually 21'10" long! West decided for some reason NOT to use the step. The Delta Pads are very wide on these boats which is why they "hunt" at low speeds. The right wheel can correct a lot of that.

rvrrat350

Reaction score
Good info 350 and mostly correct. I may have a few minor twists wrong but Dave was doing the rigging for Leach back in the day. The 24 is a direct descendant of the 22 Extreme. Dave actually bought the 22 molds from Eliminator and then built the first DCB 22 Extreme model in 1995 which was the same pad bottom design with very minor tweaks. Then, I believe in 1997 he made a significant change to the 22 and created the 22 Extreme "HP" which had a step in it. He also built one or two 22 Extremes for Outboard power and rigged them with Promax 300's. At about the same time DCB added the integrated swim platform to the base 22 and that created the 24. The actual running surface of the two boats is identical. It's just an add on swim platform. I believe that DCB offered the 24 model in both the Extreme and the Extreme HP variants. Which one do you have? Then, your correct, in 1999 DCB sold the molds to Johnny West at Ultra. At least in 1999 Dave sold the 22 Extreme mold. Perhaps then then in 2000 he sold West the 24. John turned the DCB 22 Extreme into the 1999 Ultra Custom Boats 23XS. Measure a 23XS and it is actually 21'10" long! West decided for some reason NOT to use the step. The Delta Pads are very wide on these boats which is why they "hunt" at low speeds. The right wheel can correct a lot of that.

I would guess its the Extreme
nothing says HP anywhere on it
I have measured and it is Exactly 24ft from nose to back of swim step
was told they were building it for there upholstery guy and then he went with something else (i think a 28 Extreme but they weren't really even sure) it was awhile ago
i was also told it didnt sell till 2002 since they just took there time on it but pink slip says 2000
it has the 2 step bottom
Imco 1" lower high X dimension

bocco

Reaction score
I want to order one of the Aquastep ladders for my boat. If anyone could find a part number on theirs and post it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary

Ultra247

Reaction score
My latest great addition to the boat. The original bimini was 5'7" and just didn't give enough shade. It was too high and tended to balloon at speed. I was always worried that I would break a strap.

I had a new 8' bimini made with net top and stainless steel frame with front and rear poles. This thing is heavy and built like a tank!! It's a little heavy to put up but I think it is going to be very stable. Like many of us, I have issues with too much sun so being able to put the bimini up and still make speed runs is a huge advantage. I'll take it on the water for the first time this weekend and see how it does!! The material is the mesh which will allow air flow and breath. I had it made by Juan at All American Canvas in Montclair. He did a great job at a reasonable cost.

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 237

billy610

Reaction score
I have a 97 DCB 24' extreme HP with the 502 mag (415hp) closed bow, no side seats under the bow. I keep hearing people say at higher speeds these boats get a "little squirley". I have not had that experience at all! I have not checked speed with a GPS, but see 75mph on speedo. No chine walk or anything weird. Absolutely agree about slow speed wander for sure...constantly sawing at the wheel going through the keys.

tkrrox

Reaction score
how are these compared to a 240 hallett?

GregG

Reaction score
I have a 97 DCB 24' extreme HP with the 502 mag (415hp) closed bow, no side seats under the bow. I keep hearing people say at higher speeds these boats get a "little squirley". I have not had that experience at all! I have not checked speed with a GPS, but see 75mph on speedo. No chine walk or anything weird. Absolutely agree about slow speed wander for sure...constantly sawing at the wheel going through the keys.

I agree with you they are drivers boats once up on the pad. No big deal provided the steering is 100% tight. For 75mph I'd suspect your hull has the step. What model prop are you running?

billy610

Reaction score
I agree with you they are drivers boats once up on the pad. No big deal provided the steering is 100% tight. For 75mph I'd suspect your hull has the step. What model prop are you running?

Yes, it is the step hull. I have run a Bravo 24 pitch 4 blade (my everyday prop) 26 pitch 4 blade and 28 pitch 4 blade. I will hit the rev limiter regularly with the 24 pitch, even with a full load of people etc.. The 26 works good when it's a light load in the boat, just 2 people small cooler and will still hit the rev limiter on occasion. Since I will still hit the rev limiter with the 26 and a lot of my trips are just me and my GF, I went ahead and tried a 28 to see how it was. The 28 pitch SUCKED!! The boat wouldn't get out of it's own way! haha

bocco

Reaction score
My latest great addition to the boat. The original bimini was 5'7" and just didn't give enough shade. It was too high and tended to balloon at speed. I was always worried that I would break a strap.

I had a new 8' bimini made with net top and stainless steel frame with front and rear poles. This thing is heavy and built like a tank!! It's a little heavy to put up but I think it is going to be very stable. Like many of us, I have issues with too much sun so being able to put the bimini up and still make speed runs is a huge advantage. I'll take it on the water for the first time this weekend and see how it does!! The material is the mesh which will allow air flow and breath. I had it made by Juan at All American Canvas in Montclair. He did a great job at a reasonable cost.

I like it. You get a little more forward shade than mine does. I like the idea of the poles instead of straps. Seems like that could be an easy add on. Does your top lay flat on the fiberglass when folded down? I would like to find some sort of rubber stopper to lift the top about an inch off of the gel when folded down. So far I can't find anything.

bocco

Reaction score

Mine has a 500HP. The best I've gotten is 78mph. It seems pretty straight and stable at that speed. I don't have tabs and I think they would help a little at that speed. Just not up to spend the bucks right now.

bocco

Reaction score
Another question. Did Ultra fix the bottom of the swim step so the drive can be raised all the way up? My DCB has a cutout for the drive but it's to small to let the drive all the way up. Huge dumb mistake in my opinion.

Ultra28

Reaction score
Another question. Did Ultra fix the bottom of the swim step so the drive can be raised all the way up? My DCB has a cutout for the drive but it's to small to let the drive all the way up. Huge dumb mistake in my opinion.

Yes, that was one of the first things I did.

Ultra247

Reaction score
I'll disagree with Ultra28 just a little bit. Without external steering, I was able to get my drive all the way up. Once I added the external steering, we had to shim the rams and the drive will only go about 75% of the way up in order to clear the bottom of the swim step. I wish they had opened that pocket up another 6-8 inches in order to leave room for steering brackets under there!

In answer to the question from Bocco about the brackets, the top does lay flat on the fiberglass in the rear brackets but it sticks about 4" over the swim step. In the center brackets, it sits on the engine cover. I trailer it with it all the way back. I move to the middle brackets and leave the rear poles in once I get to the lake. It can trailer local and ride on the water that way if I don't want the bimini open.