WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8.2 Mag Idles Weird

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I just bought a new boat with the new Mercruiser 8.2 Mag. To me they idle a little rough when they are cold and even after they warm up. There are no engine faults or alarms going off. Once a little throttle is applied it runs smooth. As of now there is only 6 hours on it, so I'm still breaking the motor in. Is this rough idle normal?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I just ran my 8.2 for the first time and it idled perfect. My buddy even made a comment on it. Only maybe 2 hours on it

Shortdeck

Reaction score
It idles like the motor has a big cam. My exhaust is completely above the water and no muffled. By the way what speeds are you seeing in that new razor. That was me and wife's second choice.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It idles like the motor has a big cam. My exhaust is completely above the water and no muffled. By the way what speeds are you seeing in that new razor. That was me and wife's second choice.

We added the mufflers and once in the water it's pretty quite. I personally don't like them but whatevs. Yesterday with 4 people on board and full tanks I hit 60 no problem w throttle to spare. I'm going to run her a little harder today with a lighter load and play w the trim to see what she can do. I went from a 195 bayliner so it's a worlds difference I absolutely love it!

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Noticed another thing this morning. Paint from the exhaust manifolds are flaking off right where it bolts to the cylinder head. Bilge is full of paint flakes, WTF?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Runs about 73 on the speedo and I think that's about all it's got [emoji4]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a little less then 20 hours I think. Last time I went out it was only my dad and I so I really opened it up. With a little bit of a chop and trimmed up is when I saw 73. I think it runs great I really like it I'm just hoping to fix the heat issue I'm having.