WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2014 Malibu VLX

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
I know most do not care about Wakeboats, but there are some who like boats no matter what, so here it goes....
Year:2014
Make: Malibu
Model:Wakesetter VLX
Length:21'6"
Engine: Indmar Monsoon 350 CATS
Prop: Acme 1235 (high altitude prop)
Top speed: 42MPH
Pros:
Room for 13
Great boat for all watersports
Handles like a sports car
super plush

Cons:
Not a great ride in rough water
not built for speed
Needs bow weight to help improve wakes

Overall: Honestly there are many pros to this boat. It is not only for the hardcore wakeboarder, but also family friendly. There is enough room for 13 of your closest friends and their gear. You have storage under every seat in the boat, storage lockers in the rear, a built in cooler that will hold 90 beers and a 20lb bag of ice (i've tested that). The interior is plush and is awesome. If you like watersports this boat will do everything you need, slalom, wakeboard, tube, and with the addition of surfgate, you can surf at the flip of a switch. No more moving everyone to one side of the boat, draining and filling sacs to the other side for different riders, and most importantly, no more trying to drive a leaning boat. The VLX drives like a sports car and tracks really well when you have skiers or boarders behind you. The tower folds to fit in most garages and has gas shocks to assist when lowering or raising the tower, super easy one man job. No more having the wife try to help and getting pissed off. Boat also comes with a wind guard for the walk through which helps on those cold mornings and a table that set up for an evening on the water.
Rough rides back to the house are not so fun. Not sure of many wakeboats that are designed to do well in chop, but it will be a bumpy ride back to your spot. If you like speed, the boat maxes out at roughly 45mph. if you like running a lot of weight, then you will need to reprop for some low end torque, at the sacrifice of some top end speed. Malibu's also are known to want bow weight to help improve the wake shape. The wake is great out of the box, but adding weight to the bow makes it that much better. The VLX is redesigned for 2015 including a new hull and technology in the boat. I believe that counts as a con for me

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Is it rude to ask what one of these cost?

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
For a VLX, well optioned one will put you in the 80k - 85k range.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yikes. That's like double what I was expecting. Seems like they have a lot of cool features and Look pretty cool too

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
You moving over to MC or did these guys talk you into getting a blown flatty, v-drive schiada or jet boat? :D GLWS man!

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
Boat : $85k,
4ft wake : priceless

Good looking ride! How bad are the waterspots on the black.

I must not know how to use my boat properly as i still can't find the 4' wake setting :D I go through a lot of Hot Sauce.:grumble: I wax my boats once a month, used or not. Makes cleanup a lot easier when the boat is nice and waxed.

Yikes. That's like double what I was expecting. Seems like they have a lot of cool features and Look pretty cool too

They are pricey but you can get a ton of features.

Is the roll bar mounted backwards?j/k...

I thought the same thing when the design came out a few years ago. :p I really like the forward swooping tower now days,

You moving over to MC or did these guys talk you into getting a blown flatty, v-drive schiada or jet boat? :D GLWS man!

I have such a great relationship with Tilly's, I'll probably always own a bu. There is a jet boat in my backyard, only reason they let me on this site :D

Raffit78

Reaction score
That's a nice boat! My buddy has the 2013 lsv and it is just a boat that does it all. Fits 13 people comfortably, surf gate, ample storage with the tanks below the floor. Cruises pretty good at 40 + or -

I love the black but how is it in AZ? Does it get very hot that you can't touch your gel coat? What do you think about the surf gate?

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Great write up, and great boat! These boats seem very versatile, and great for a full day of family fun.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Is it possible to get one that goes faster like high or mid 60's

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
That's a nice boat! My buddy has the 2013 lsv and it is just a boat that does it all. Fits 13 people comfortably, surf gate, ample storage with the tanks below the floor. Cruises pretty good at 40 + or -

I love the black but how is it in AZ? Does it get very hot that you can't touch your gel coat? What do you think about the surf gate?

I was concerned about the black, but that's why I added the white to the top deck. I actually have not had an issue where the gel got too hot to touch. The vinyl and carpet/floor on the other hand....
Surfgate is awesome. IMO, it beats the heck out of driving a listed boat. I consider myself a pretty good driver, but I would still get a little nervous with the amount of weight friends would use to lean their boats. I think just from a driving/safety standpoint it is worth it. But you can't beat the convenience.

Not from the factory. These boats are generally geared for low end torque to get riders out of the water. Remember being little and dads boat would drag people for awhile and you'd have to hang on for dear life to get up on that ski? Not like that anymore. I did see a video where someone took a Mastercraft and dropped a Duramax in it. A diesel would be a great option for these boats in my opinion, but the price for the engine would be insane, especially after marinizing it. I believe one company offers this, although I do not know much about it. I also think it was supra who had a 2 speed transmission, so you could get the speed you were looking for, but it wasn't received as well as they had hoped

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Yes, but it won't be a "wake board boat". Eliminator has one in their showroom, I think it's a 26 eagle or something set up for water sports, tower and all. It's of course over kill with a big motor etc... but can be set up with the standard package engine that will go over the 50's - 60's barrier.

Either way, that Malibu is very nice. I was trying to talk the wife into that style of boat, she wanted the cheetah instead.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was concerned about the black, but that's why I added the white to the top deck. I actually have not had an issue where the gel got too hot to touch. The vinyl and carpet/floor on the other hand....
Surfgate is awesome. IMO, it beats the heck out of driving a listed boat. I consider myself a pretty good driver, but I would still get a little nervous with the amount of weight friends would use to lean their boats. I think just from a driving/safety standpoint it is worth it. But you can't beat the convenience.

Not from the factory. These boats are generally geared for low end torque to get riders out of the water. Remember being little and dads boat would drag people for awhile and you'd have to hang on for dear life to get up on that ski? Not like that anymore. I did see a video where someone took a Mastercraft and dropped a Duramax in it. A diesel would be a great option for these boats in my opinion, but the price for the engine would be insane, especially after marinizing it. I believe one company offers this, although I do not know much about it. I also think it was supra who had a 2 speed transmission, so you could get the speed you were looking for, but it wasn't received as well as they had hoped

My old bayliner would practically drown u before getting u up on that ski lol. Haven't tried pulling anyone w the cobra I am curious though

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
Haha. My dad had a tri hull growing up and that thing tried to drown you as well. I always wanted on my cousins jet boat so I could get up and breathe

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
My old bayliner would practically drown u before getting u up on that ski lol. Haven't tried pulling anyone w the cobra I am curious though

Stay with a wakeboard with your Cobra and you will be fine .
With a ski it a bit harder to pull out fast .Speed is no problem as you know .
I pulled the daughters and wife all the time with my old 230 & the new 260 also is good .
But I bet that Malibu gets a very nice wake .

TBulger

Reaction score
That sir, is one beautiful boat. I don't ski or wakeboard anymore and would love having one of those for the style alone. :)