WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions about fuel/water.

sspdy02

Reaction score
what is the biggest differences between the regular and drain/sight glass style of separators?

I bought a boat months ago and am systematically going thru each system seeing what needs to be repaired or replaced before I take it out for it's maiden voyage.

Is the sight glass/ drain style the new industry standard? do the filters last longer (because you can drain the water).

I am going to replace the existing separator and mount already (piece of mind) so I want to know if it's worth the extra $$ to upgrade to the drain/sight glass style.

Any extra info is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance. Brian

pipemn

Reaction score
unless something has changed i do not believe they legal for a gas inboard boat.they are pretty much standard on diesel boats,and appears are ok for outboards.good info on racor website.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
unless something has changed i do not believe they legal for a gas inboard boat.they are pretty much standard on diesel boats,and appears are ok for outboards.good info on racor website.

I hesitated to comment but I think that I remember that they are not USCG approved. Something about glass breaking and filling the bilge with raw fuel (fuel pump pressure) without the owner/driver realizing that the glass break has happened.

Do some more research and perhaps check USCG reg's.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Stick with the regular sierra fuel/water seperators. Carry a spare in case it gets gunked up.

sspdy02

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.

ka0tyk, that was what I was thinking but figured I'd get more info before I bought it.