WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic TV Box...Tech Support Thread?

BigdattyD

Reaction score
If it's the same as the mxbc on my Apple TV, go to video/add ons/sports devil and navigate from there

Yes you can watch similar programming with a jailbroken APTV or APTV2 they are awesome and that's kinda cool that you are already familiar with this technology. If you like this technology I really think you will enjoy upgrading to the Stream Smart because of its ease of use and navigational capabilities. Stream Smart has also designed a number of special function keys on the remote that make it a lot more user friendly than other devices.

Here are 10 reasons why the Stream Smart S3 Pro is the best choice!

1. S3 Pro duel core processor.
2. S3 Pro 1gb DDR 3 Ram.
3. S3 Pro has 3 USB Ports for wireless devices.
4. S3 Pro has proprietary XBMC Refresh Button.
5. S3 Pro built-in google browser.
6. S3 Pro has custom built remote specifically designed for XBMC.
7. S3 Pro offers 30 of the most popular live broadcasting channels for free
8. S3 Pro offers private channel called Dragon Streams for live PPV Events for free.
9. S3 Pro offers Sports Access for live sports for free.
10. The biggest reason to go with the s3 Pro is our unmatched live Tech Support.

HTTP://myfreecabletv.com/

IinsureU

aka 'Insman'
Reaction score
Yes you can watch similar programming with a jailbroken APTV or APTV2 they are awesome and that's kinda cool that you are already familiar with this technology. If you like this technology I really think you will enjoy upgrading to the Stream Smart because of its ease of use and navigational capabilities. Stream Smart has also designed a number of special function keys on the remote that make it a lot more user friendly than other devices.

Here are 10 reasons why the Stream Smart S3 Pro is the best choice!

1. S3 Pro duel core processor.
2. S3 Pro 1gb DDR 3 Ram.
3. S3 Pro has 3 USB Ports for wireless devices.
4. S3 Pro has proprietary XBMC Refresh Button.
5. S3 Pro built-in google browser.
6. S3 Pro has custom built remote specifically designed for XBMC.
7. S3 Pro offers 30 of the most popular live broadcasting channels for free
8. S3 Pro offers private channel called Dragon Streams for live PPV Events for free.
9. S3 Pro offers Sports Access for live sports for free.
10. The biggest reason to go with the s3 Pro is our unmatched live Tech Support.

HTTP://myfreecabletv.com/

A pictogram of the use of the not so obvious keys on the remote when you get a chance would be great... :D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The box is awesome can't wait for my keyboard to get here

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
No worries the remote actually works fine just when typing in titles would b nice... Either way this thing is already paying for itself I couldn't b happier w it

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
No worries the remote actually works fine just when typing in titles would b nice... Either way this thing is already paying for itself I couldn't b happier w it

I also use the stock remote that came with the box. The big remote is better for typing but I like the small one for everything else. I am 100% happy with this box. It is not as easy or fast as turning on a TV and picking a channel, but the pros outweigh the cons for me. I am canceling cable and going with the box. It takes awhile to learn the quirks. Things are not always as they are listed but it is always there if you are willing to work at it. Very happy with my purchase!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Only quirk I've noticed is maybe sometimes I get inpatient and end up freezing it so I have to power off and start up again

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I think I finally thought of a movie I can't find on the box. I have tried looking for the original motorcycle movie," On Any Sunday" and can't find it. I found it on one of the channels, I think ice movies but the feed is missing. Now I feel ripped off..... No not really I love the Magic box.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'm watching 22 jump street just finished sex tape

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think I finally thought of a movie I can't find on the box. I have tried looking for the original motorcycle movie," On Any Sunday" and can't find it. I found it on one of the channels, I think ice movies but the feed is missing. Now I feel ripped off..... No not really I love the Magic box.

Look for it in the super search.. You might have better luck.

RD

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Speedtest accuracy on the box and "picture in picture"...not.

I have FIOS 50/50 and consistently run Speed Test on my phone/tablet/laptop and see consistent speeds of 55-60. I run the Speed Test app on the box and it shows 20-25 consistently. Laptops/box are wired with Cat6 to my router. Phone/tablet are WiFi. Results on the laptop/phone/tablet are the same whether it's copper or WiFi. Why is the box slower?

This weekend I moved the box from our room to the main TV because we had guests coming over and I wanted to put on a couple movies for the kids. When connected to the bedroom TV the videos are full screen, as are all the menus. When I connected it to the family room TV the menus were full screen, but the video was about 1/2 the screen size and in the upper left corner. Even though the video was 1/2 size I could pull up the menus that overlay the video and they were full screen. I tried every setting and couldn't get it corrected. I moved it back to our bedroom and the video was fine, for a while, then it went to 1/2 screen like it did in the family room. What setting did this? BTW, it wasn't the \ (windowed) function either, that made the video even smaller. I ended up resetting the box and had to reload all the Smart Stream apps to correct the problem.

Any advice?
IMG_3718_1.jpg

mbrown2

Reaction score
Tried to watch Annibelle the other night.....its listed but no streams....moved on to Sex Tape...no issues. Second stream I chose had no buffering issues. I really got to get this thing hardwired...still having too many inconsistent speeds wireless and you really need 25+ consistently to see get great results.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Tried to watch Annibelle the other night.....its listed but no streams....moved on to Sex Tape...no issues. Second stream I chose had no buffering issues. I really got to get this thing hardwired...still having too many inconsistent speeds wireless and you really need 25+ consistently to see get great results.

My speed is way slower then that and I'm not having any buffering issues.. There has to be something else going on..

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I have FIOS 50/50 and consistently run Speed Test on my phone/tablet/laptop and see consistent speeds of 55-60. I run the Speed Test app on the box and it shows 20-25 consistently. Laptops/box are wired with Cat6 to my router. Phone/tablet are WiFi. Results on the laptop/phone/tablet are the same whether it's copper or WiFi. Why is the box slower?

This weekend I moved the box from our room to the main TV because we had guests coming over and I wanted to put on a couple movies for the kids. When connected to the bedroom TV the videos are full screen, as are all the menus. When I connected it to the family room TV the menus were full screen, but the video was about 1/2 the screen size and in the upper left corner. Even though the video was 1/2 size I could pull up the menus that overlay the video and they were full screen. I tried every setting and couldn't get it corrected. I moved it back to our bedroom and the video was fine, for a while, then it went to 1/2 screen like it did in the family room. What setting did this? BTW, it wasn't the \ (windowed) function either, that made the video even smaller. I ended up resetting the box and had to reload all the Smart Stream apps to correct the problem.

Any advice?
View attachment 369871

I had that happen to me once after I took my box to Parker.. Dave walked me through a process, which was basically a quick delete and reinstall of everything and it fixed it. I'll text him to come on tomorrow and go through it with me, and I'll record it on my phone to show you how it is fixed..

There is also a "size to screen" adjustment built into the settings of the box. If the menus are coming up full screen though that isn't the problem.

RD

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I had that happen to me once after I took my box to Parker.. Dave walked me through a process, which was basically a quick delete and reinstall of everything and it fixed it. I'll text him to come on tomorrow and go through it with me, and I'll record it on my phone to show you how it is fixed..

There is also a "size to screen" adjustment built into the settings of the box. If the menus are coming up full screen though that isn't the problem.

RD
Thanks RD. I ended up doing a complete reset of the box and reinstalled everything again. It's been working fine ever since. I did talk to Dave for some time last night and he essentially said to do the same thing. It's a computer, they have bugs/glitches. I still can't figure out why the Speedtest app is showing internet speeds that are 1/2 of what I'm actually getting :head scratch:

Other than that, and keeping in mind that it is a "streaming/buffered" system, I'm totally happy with it. Watched "This is where I leave you" (which was just released to the theaters 3 weeks ago) last night with almost no buffering.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
I have 60 coming into the house, show 28 on my laptop test. Testing the box wired i get maybe 7-9, wifi shows 12. Something goofy here.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have 60 coming into the house, show 28 on my laptop test. Testing the box wired i get maybe 7-9, wifi shows 12. Something goofy here.

On the box are you using the speedtest on the front screen? Or going to the browser and going to speedtest.net? Try them both, and see if there's any differences.

RD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Any advice?
View attachment 369871

I noticed the same speed desparity, had the magic box hard wired and compared it to my cell phone (which is on my wifi). Switched the box over to wifi and speeds came UP! I now have 38mbps download to match my phone, on Time Warner 50 meg Roadrunner. Hardwired i was stuck in the low 20's. dosent' make sense....but try it! Make sure you turn "Ethernet off" in settings so it soley used the Wifi.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I also noticed that sometimes when i am experiencing slow Wifi speeds.....I turn wifi "off" then back "on" to get it to re-connect...and the problem is solved.
Also....WIFI is almost 40% faster at my house than when the box is hard wired for some reason. If you want to try wifi...make sure the ethernet is switched to "off" or it is defaulting to the wired connection, even if WIFI is on. JH

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Thats funny...I also searched for this! My dad raced indian dunes back in the 70'sm and I have a "On any Sunday" 8-track from his collection he used to blast in his custom van :thumbup::thumbup:

white tortilla

Reaction score
okay how the hell do u fix it to go back to full screen? its stuck on 30% ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412984003.426638.jpg

white tortilla

Reaction score
If you're using the mini keyboard you accidentally put it in to "windows" mode. Hit the / key or the \ key. I can't remember which one, but its the one closest to the "enter" key. That should fix it.

this is the only thing that worked! thanks!

white tortilla

Reaction score
If you're using the mini keyboard you accidentally put it in to "windows" mode. Hit the / key or the \ key. I can't remember which one, but its the one closest to the "enter" key. That should fix it.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score

No problem! It happened to me while my wife was trying to watch the first episode of this season's Sons of Anarchy. At that point she wasn't too impressed with the magic box, LOL.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Tried watching Lucy early today, and Orange is the New Black this evening....nothing but buffering on both and this was after trying at least 6-7 different streams on each.

Was also getting 20/40 during speed tests....

I have to say I lately I have less success with this box...wondering if I need to do a reload. It gets to the point that the remote was not even responding tonight...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Tried watching Lucy early today, and Orange is the New Black this evening....nothing but buffering on both and this was after trying at least 6-7 different streams on each.

I have to say I lately I have less success with this box...wondering if I need to do a reload. It gets to the point that the remote was not even responding tonight...

I'm wondering if you got a bum unit or something? Everyone elses seems to work fine?

RD

Thikneck

Reaction score

I had the exact same experience last night (different shows). Tried all different add-ons with the same result. Can we do a reload ourselves? I don't recall reading about how to do it in any of the threads.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had the exact same experience last night (different shows). Tried all different add-ons with the same result. Can we do a reload ourselves? I don't recall reading about how to do it in any of the threads.

Yes we can reload it ourselves, but there's quite a few steps.. Maybe I can shoot an I phone video of how to do it tonight.

RD

intense

Reaction score
I don't understand then download speed needed for these boxes, I have dsl 3 meg down and run XBMC on my IMAC and have no buffering with HD movies. Why is the box different from the computer?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Couldn't tell ya.. But I wouldn't think you would be able to stream HD content on any device at 3mb. The video file is larger then that per second? At least it is when I capture hideo on go pros, or export from editing my own video.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I don't understand then download speed needed for these boxes, I have dsl 3 meg down and run XBMC on my IMAC and have no buffering with HD movies. Why is the box different from the computer?

Maybe the iMac is more efficient at buffering/decoding the video. Keep in mind the processing power/video management capabilities, motherboard/video RAM and price of an iMac vs a $250 streaming box running an OS designed for phones and tablets. Kind of like a Peterbuilt vs a Chevy Luv.

Just my uneducated guess...

mbrown2

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you got a bum unit or something? Everyone elses seems to work fine?

RD

Maybe...if you get around to even writing the steps down, I would be interested. Really want to have more consistent results.

intense

Reaction score
Maybe the iMac is more efficient at buffering/decoding the video. Keep in mind the processing power/video management capabilities, motherboard/video RAM and price of an iMac vs a $250 streaming box running an OS designed for phones and tablets. Kind of like a Peterbuilt vs a Chevy Luv.

Just my uneducated guess...

But hey it makes sense:D

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
As a a general test when would the movie that was just release here "Fury" be available to watch on the magic TV box?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'd say camera quality a couple days hd a couple weeks

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Couldn't tell ya.. But I wouldn't think you would be able to stream HD content on any device at 3mb. The video file is larger then that per second? At least it is when I capture hideo on go pros, or export from editing my own video.

Nope, I stream iOS casting in HD at 3 Mbs. No buffer.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
By "camera quality" do you mean a video produced by a guy filming the movie in the theatre with a camcorder then posting it on a server :D

I've downloaded a few of those in the past, seriously, you see someone get up out of their chair and walk past the screen, LOL.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
[QU OTE=Chipster27;1884762]By "camera quality" do you mean a video produced by a guy filming the movie in the theatre with a camcorder then posting it on a server :D

I've downloaded a few of those in the past, seriously, you see someone get up out of their chair and walk past the screen, LOL.[/QUOTE]
Yup lol I'd adit till it gets leaked or whatever and put up in hd

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe...if you get around to even writing the steps down, I would be interested. Really want to have more consistent results.

I'll get to it Mike, just slammed with being sick, website, and the race..

As a a general test when would the movie that was just release here "Fury" be available to watch on the magic TV box?

I'd go with viscous.. I'd be surprised if it isn't on there later this week, then a couple weeks for HD files.

By "camera quality" do you mean a video produced by a guy filming the movie in the theatre with a camcorder then posting it on a server :D

I've downloaded a few of those in the past, seriously, you see someone get up out of their chair and walk past the screen, LOL.

They have improved over the years.. LOL Now it's usually some dude in an overseas theatre that is empty with an HD camera. The audio on a few of them suck though. I watched equalizer the other day, and the picture was fine, but the audio was terrible.

RD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
OK . . . Noticed something screwey last night.

Watched 1st episode (new season) of walking dead last week...no problem

I go to watch the 2nd episode last night....and now the entire season (both episodes) is gone????? Anyone else see this? The entire season is missing like it didn't even exist

BajaMike

Reaction score
I've got a Roku 2 box and I love it. Picture and sound are perfect (as long as you have an HDMI input on your TV, which all newer TVs have). It costs less than $100 and takes about 5 minutes to hook up.

Netflix
Amazon
Huluplus
Blockbuster
Disney

and more.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
OK . . . Noticed something screwey last night.

Watched 1st episode (new season) of walking dead last week...no problem

I go to watch the 2nd episode last night....and now the entire season (both episodes) is gone????? Anyone else see this? The entire season is missing like it didn't even exist

I will check today, but that sounds like a gliche in the box maybe.. I'd exit the gotv, and then re-enter, if that doesn't work, unplug it and plug it back in.

RD

jimmyb

Reaction score
I've been paying attention to this "magic box" stuff since I don't have cable service anymore. Sounds like a great deal, my only question is can I still watch live news channels (channel 2,4, 7,9,11,13) in real time?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've been paying attention to this "magic box" stuff since I don't have cable service anymore. Sounds like a great deal, my only question is can I still watch live news channels (channel 2,4, 7,9,11,13) in real time?

There is 33 channels that you can watch. NBC, CNN, FOX, ESPN, etc.. (All the main ones) They are on East Coast Feeds (3 hours ahead), but yes they are real time.

DJ

gqchris

Reaction score
I plug and unplug my box in daily. If it sits for longer than a day, the screensaver dimming just locks up and no way out of it. Anyone else getting this issue? Usually in XBMC when it happens.

Chris