WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nordic goes after the Pontoon Market with a 26 Deck and a 350 Verado

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
IMG_1325.jpg

It's no secret that the new luxury Pontoon's have taken a major chunk out of the performance boat Market. We have watched quite a few board members switch from High Performance Cats and Vee's make the switch just for sheer functionality purposes. They are great to party on, family friendly, and you can run them up on any beach that you feel like without being overly worried about a hidden rock in the sand doing damage.

Our breed of people can't seem to leave well enough alone though, and many of them are tired of going 35-40 mph. Now we have a new breed of pontoon boat that has evolved into big block powered I/O toons, and twin and in some rare cases even triple outboard configurations. Others that have made the jump are used to turning heads with flash gelcoats and graphics. Many in this segment have resorted to polishing the toons, which in every instance regardless of coatings, makes it more of a nightmare to keep looking good then a fiberglass boat ever will be. The price tags are soaring, the manufacturers can barely keep up with this new "custom" fanatic breed of customer, and are coming out with bars, and LED lights, and every other piece of "bling" imaginable to try to keep interests high in their models vs the competitors.

Wasn't the whole point of the Toon program to be functional, easy on the wallet to purchase, family/party proof on the water, and bullet proof from a reliability and maintenance perspective? Now that some of these Toon's are in the 100+ thousand dollar range, we might have lost sight of the original goal a bit.

Nordic is now offering something that could likely take a lot of Toon owners, and put them back into a fiberglass hull. They are currently building a 26' deck boat with a 350 Verado.

IMG_1327.jpg

I'm going to take a few minutes to explain the obvious upsides to this over a pontoon. The first and most obvious thing is the floor. Most pontoons are constructed with an aluminum frame and a wooden floor that sits on top of it. Overtime water gets into the wood and rots it out, and almost regardless of brand if you put a lot of hours on them, in ten years or so you will have to disassemble the entire top deck of the boat and replace the floor. Not only does a fiberglass deck not have this problem, Nordic's are built completely wood free, so you will never have this problem anywhere else in the boat either.

IMG_1326.jpg

To continue on with the floor discussion next we are going to talk about carpet. If you take the kids out, spills happen. If you take the party crowd out, spills are definitely going to happen. In any kind of upper end or classy pontoon you will have a nice "plush" carpet that feels great between your toes. Along with that great feeling you might as well either get to know your local carpet cleaner on a personal basis, or buy stock in Hoover and begin wearing out their home carpet cleaning machines. After your first outing, unless your friends are drinking out of kids sippy cups, your boat will never look the same.

As you can see in the pic above the Nordic is a fiberglass innerliner boat. This opens up options of running the boat as it sits, where you can hose it out at the end of the day, or if you have to have carpet, Nordic will provide snap in carpeting. With the snap in carpeting that even opens up more custom options of putting graphics in the carpet, your boat name, or anything you could imagine.

To continue with the utility theme, this 26' Nordic actually has MORE STORAGE to take your gear out on the water with you then any pontoon on the market. We will start with the "beach coolers" it has built right into the front sponsons. You don't need to bring coolers with you, this boat has them built in, both front and back. It has the same setup as a toon with Storage under the seats, but the storage in the bow goes to all the way to the bottom of the hull. Too really large cabinets at the midships double the storage capacity of most standard toons that have one, will take us to ample storage under the back seats, that can double as built in coolers if you would like. Most of the typical performance guys think this ends with that last sentence, but they forget this boat is an outboard. You open up what is typically the Engine hatch, and you have your own personal storage unit in there now. You can delete the walk off stairs in the back (option) and there is enough room to fit a 12 or 18' roll up watermat UNDER THE HATCH! Along with everything else you could possibly imagine.

IMG_1322.jpg

This takes to the extreme rear of the boat, where the Nordic has an integrated swim step at the waterline. I could right an entire paragraph on the upsides of that, but I think it's pretty self explanatory.

When it comes to performance, the toon manufacturers are now making larger toons, giant center toons, adding lifting strakes, and more or less turning old displacement hulls into planing hulls. Some of them like placecraft and others have actually pretty much got this nailed now and are putting up some decent #'s. What none of them ever will be is a planing hull that is a true air entrapment performance cat. With the pontoons you cross this threshold where the faster you go the spookier it gets. With a cat the faster you go, the better they work. This particular 26 isn't being built to go set any records at LOTO. Rather this one is being built with a budget in mind, to be competitive with a mid range pontoon, except with this single 350 Verado they are shooting for 60+ mph!!

IMG_1324.jpg

Finally pontoon manufacturers are dazzling us with bling, and LED lit up bars, what they don't want to shine a light on is build quality. While not all pontoons are created equal, compared to the upper end performance boat world they are junk. Yes I said it.. Junk. Most everything is either riveted or sheet metal or wood screwed together. If your lucky and you bought a high end brand then the cleats of the boat might actually be through bolted, and the outboard. The wiring harnesses are rats nests laid out in aluminum caves, and the gauges are the cheapest you can buy that have been re-badged to the manufacturer. If you go super high end you can get a touch screen on some toons that will work for a year or two, and when it breaks, god forbid it is out of warranty you better have some equity in your house to get it fixed, if you can even find someone local to fix it.

Nordics boasts some of the highest build quality in the custom boat market today. Everything is through bolted, everything is stainless, and everything is serviceable by ANY reputable shop. If you get a touch screen it's going to be a Mercury Vessel View. If you want a complete set of gauges they are going to be the same price (no upgrade for vessel view at Nordic btw), but are going to be Autometers, or Livorsi. The controls and steering wheel aren't going to look like they came out of your grandfathers cabin cruiser, this utility boat still does have it's performance roots.

We will be doing an on the water test of this boat as soon as it is ready. If it pulls mid 60's at a competitive price, then I'd say the next move is to get in with a pontoon dealer network, because I can't think of too many cons, but the list of pro's is overwhelming. Starting with remembering why a bunch of Powerboaters went to Toon's to begin with.

RD

Warlock1

Reaction score
Price on a basic model. You know for us working class guys :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They will have exact numbers once the boat is complete. You can call Thane and get approximate pricing direct from Nordic. Speaking a little out of turn, I believe the boat will be less than a 100K, which puts it at the higher end single O/B pontoons.

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
so I pulled the trigger on a 26 in July, the financing wasn't what I wanted (not through Nordic) so I backed out. Since then I have been looking at everything AGAIN. The toon we priced was 86K and NOTHING like this. It went 45mpg, and was ply wood on tubes. It was very nice, but still, 86K!!!!!! If this is under 100 and will do 60mph Im in. Hell I almost did 86K at 45MPH with no resale in 5 years!
Now, if Thane lets my configure my seating ideas, well Im even more in.
Center stairs to the swim step with bench style seating behind the driver and passenger, but not really a bench, a rear facing lounger with your back to the front facing seats. Then next to the stairs front facing seats with 1 side bolster.
This will give a nice front to back flow, and most IMPORTANT, rear facing loungers which is the ONLY reason id buy a toon.

Paging Thane......

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
so I pulled the trigger on a 26 in July, the financing wasn't what I wanted (not through Nordic) so I backed out. Since then I have been looking at everything AGAIN. The toon we priced was 86K and NOTHING like this. It went 45mpg, and was ply wood on tubes. It was very nice, but still, 86K!!!!!! If this is under 100 and will do 60mph Im in. Hell I almost did 86K at 45MPH with no resale in 5 years!
Now, if Thane lets my configure my seating ideas, well Im even more in.
Center stairs to the swim step with bench style seating behind the driver and passenger, but not really a bench, a rear facing lounger with your back to the front facing seats. Then next to the stairs front facing seats with 1 side bolster.
This will give a nice front to back flow, and most IMPORTANT, rear facing loungers which is the ONLY reason id buy a toon.

Paging Thane......

You could modify the existing engine hatch and do some rear facing loungers, but I don't think it would be remotely safe to sit back there while underway.

RD

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
You could modify the existing engine hatch and do some rear facing loungers, but I don't think it would be remotely safe to sit back there while underway.

RD

In that case, Steve should definitely sit there while his son drives! :skull

sirbob

Reaction score
Nice boat - Dave your point about Pontoons taking market share reminded me of a conversation I had with a Pontoon mfg. recently, we were talking about how many they were making compared to west coast custom boat builders and he floored me with his numbers. He said they are building more than 20 a week!:yikes

When you compare that to all of the west coast custom guys put together I don't think they are anywhere close to that number. Nordic is right to be all over trying to save a few of those customers and keep them in their customer base.

I have to think others should be planning modified cats to attract that customer base.

dschifan

Reaction score
Awesome idea and they should do well with it. Great mileage and reliability with so much storage with no inboard motor. Just love seeing outboards on boats :D

riverroyal

Reaction score

RD

you would be in the boat, deep. The rear bulk head would remain the height. when you sit in the back seats in these decks your shoulder is about the where the boat ends. It wouldnt be a elevated seat, or the back being cut any different. Just a nice rear facing lounge style. I sit backward in the Magic behind the driver seat when Im beached, so basically that idea, just more comfortable

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I can see where they are trying to get a piece of the pontoon market but to me that is just another deck boat.The appeal of a pontoon boat to me has been the ability to haul all your stuff and park it on just about any beach without freaking out over getting a scratch on the bottom.Also the original appeal of a toon used to be the low buy in cost.Now the upper end builders are getting big dollars for a blinged out boat .I guess people will pay big bucks to have the latest and greatest but to me a toon is a toon.:D

Reactions: KAP

HavaToon

Reaction score
Great idea Nordic! Can't wait to see it all done, been hearing about it for a while now.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I can see where they are trying to get a piece of the pontoon market but to me that is just another deck boat.The appeal of a pontoon boat to me has been the ability to haul all your stuff and park it on just about any beach without freaking out over getting a scratch on the bottom.Also the original appeal of a toon used to be the low buy in cost.Now the upper end builders are getting big dollars for a blinged out boat .I guess people will pay big bucks to have the latest and greatest but to me a toon is a toon.:D

I wont do the high end toon. Im not beaching a 90k toon, if I spend that much Im getting a real boat. But a mid or low end toon is really a piece of crap. Ive looked at all of them. Actaully a high end toon is a piece of crap also. To get a toon I don't care about, basically a low end 40mph toon it is still 50k. The mark up must be 40% at least.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I would think that would be inferior to either....

does not have the room as a 20' pontoon...

and doesn't have the performance of an entry level deck boat

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Why not? If this helps them grab a few more people away from toons that's a few more boats sold a year for Nordic.

they should go after the cheetah market... cheetah sales more deck boats then all the mfgs combined...
you can buy a new cheetah deck for 50k

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

Exactly and it doesn't require a towel test to prove the point.....:D:skull

NO matter what is tried, there ain't such a thing as one size fits all. Compromises have to be made in every instance. That being said, I'd still take that Nordic over a 'toon of the same price for all the reasons Dave points out, plus I just cannot see spending over $50K for an aluminum float boat.....One must draw a line somewhere.:D

riverroyal

Reaction score
they should go after the cheetah market... cheetah sales more deck boats then all the mfgs combined...

to plywood........

You cant compare cheetah, Nordic and toons. 3 totally different deals. Id buy a toon at 50K, a Nordic at 100K and a cheetah at 1K. Id sleep better at 100

TCHB

Reaction score
What do you think the average age of a person who buys a new boat today??

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
to plywood........

You cant compare cheetah, Nordic and toons. 3 totally different deals. Id buy a toon at 50K, a Nordic at 100K and a cheetah at 1K. Id sleep better at 100

lol....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I would like to see something better more affordable..... pontoons are getting out of hand my opinion,...

same with HEY-LAM deck boats,,,150k for a deck boat???wtf..

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think it's out of the box thinking but still closer relation to a deck than a toon.

I think Nordic should call it their "Crossover" or "Hybrid" series lol

Another thing I think is cool is that I get the impression this is a floored boat? If so, Thane is a brave bastard going into the Winter with an unproven boat idea, and building it for stock. Good job Nordic!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Where does the barbecue go?

Most pontoons do a small one off the bow rail. With this I imagine a small camping style grill sat on any surface or you can have Nordic put a removable table in if you wanted.

I disagree on the seating capacity and storage. An upper end pontoon is going to cost pretty close to the same and go 40-45 on a good day. The Nordic is going to run over 60.

I got even money that says Nordic builds more deck boats per year than Cheetah. Nordic built more than 70 boats last year and the vast majority were decks. It's the end of the season and they are building 5 right now.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Most pontoons do a small one off the bow rail. With this I imagine a small camping style grill sat on any surface or you can have Nordic put a removable table in if you wanted.

I disagree on the seating capacity and storage. An upper end pontoon is going to cost pretty close to the same and go 40-45 on a good day. The Nordic is going to run over 60.

I got even money that says Nordic builds more deck boats per year than Cheetah. Nordic built more than 70 boats last year and the vast majority were decks. It's the end of the season and they are building 5 right now.

I'm just say'n,.... looks like Nordic is try'n to capsure the more lower end , non HAY-LAM..market...
I for one do not need name brand , and dgaf what people think or say...
hats off to Nordic for thinking of better ways... I will be watching ,as history has proven thane to end up with nice boats...:D

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
One thing no one has addressed here is the convenience of being able to leave a toon in the water all the time. I keep my toon in a slip full time and take it out a couple of times a year to clean the toons. The outboard is completely out of the water when docked so that's not an issue.

My decks are composite with carpet over the top and stainless skinned below.....all in all it is the ONLY way that works for my current mission and I'm guessing there are one or two others around the country with a similar mission.

I personally wouldn't own a toon (as much as I love mine) if it stayed in the garage.....life's just too short to go slow and this Nordic would be a great solution for many folks.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
One thing no one has addressed here is the convenience of being able to leave a toon in the water all the time. I keep my toon in a slip full time and take it out a couple of times a year to clean the toons. The outboard is completely out of the water when docked so that's not an issue.

My decks are composite with carpet over the top and stainless skinned below.....all in all it is the ONLY way that works for my current mission and I'm guessing there are one or two others around the country with a similar mission.

I personally wouldn't own a toon (as much as I love mine) if it stayed in the garage.....life's just too short to go slow and this Nordic would be a great solution for many folks.

I though your boat was perfect when I was on it.....cold drinks and pretty ladies...:thumbup::thumbup::)

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I like having stuff no one wants... keeps me from selling so quick:p:D:cool

adam909

Reaction score
I see nothing special here.. just a deck boat with a out board.. Didn't dominator make a 26 deck a while back? I have a 28 deck my self and love my swim step. Putting a out board in the back with a swim step just doesn't make sense to me.. I spend a lot of time behind my boat drinking and that out board i would get tired of really quick... But spending 80k+ on a boat or toon, it better go 60 mph or faster..

alohajeff

Reaction score

Funny you mention this... Arrowhead literally eats fiberglass boats that are left sitting in the water too long. A metal Pontoon seems to experience far less damage. The other thing I was thinking is being able to engage RAMMING SPEED onto a beach is a nice plus for a 'Toon. Is Nordic adding any sort of Kevlar weave to the hull sections for beaching? If you can't treat it like a 'Toon and beat on it you lose a lot of stress free utility.

But storing a Lily Pad under a hatch sounds bitchin. Sounds like you could lock your drunk friends in there if necessary.

Are there more pictures somewhere?

Aloha

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As the boat comes together I will follow up with more pics.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I see nothing special here.. just a deck boat with a out board.. Didn't dominator make a 26 deck a while back? I have a 28 deck my self and love my swim step. Putting a out board in the back with a swim step just doesn't make sense to me.. I spend a lot of time behind my boat drinking and that out board i would get tired of really quick... But spending 80k+ on a boat, it better go 60 mph or faster..

If I had to guess your interest level in buying a toon is low. This boat isn't geared towards current deck owners. It is geared towards guys that are ditching there performance boat for a toon. The next article on Nordic will be a little more your "speed." ;)

TCHB

Reaction score
If I had to guess your interest level in buying a toon is low. This boat isn't geared towards current deck owners. It is geared towards guys that are ditching there performance boat for a toon. The next article on Nordic will be a little more your "speed." ;)

The toon manufactures really did good job responding to the changing market and met a need that people wanted in their next boat. I am glad to see Nordic watching the market and see if they can introduce a new deck/toon style boat that will meet the needs of the next generation of boaters.

I am going to stop by Nordic and check it out.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I see nothing special here.. just a deck boat with a out board.. Didn't dominator make a 26 deck a while back? I have a 28 deck my self and love my swim step. Putting a out board in the back with a swim step just doesn't make sense to me.. I spend a lot of time behind my boat drinking and that out board i would get tired of really quick... But spending 80k+ on a boat, it better go 60 mph or faster..

I agree

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have a deck... sues....I would like a pontoon for the dock/patio party area...

sues boat is fast with the 525....
if I did it over I would just go the 502...the only good seat in a 90mph deck boat is the drivers...

adam909

Reaction score

I love toons every time i see one i imagine how great it would be to have one. lounge chairs in the front and back full Bimini.. ahhh a little slice of heaven..

But the guys moving from a performance boat to a toon in my thinking would be cause of the ease that a toon offers.. Beaching the boat.. big open interior with tables.. Lounge chairs.. full bimini.. Cheap on gas easy to maintain..

This nordic deck I'm sure will be very badass but will still be "performance boat"

But for 80k would I buy this nordic deck over a 80k pontoon absolutely.. but i would never even to think to look at a 80k pontoon.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I love toons every time i see one i imagine how great it would be to have one. lounge chairs in the front and back full Bimini.. ahhh a little slice of heaven..

But the guys moving from a performance boat to a toon in my thinking would be cause of the ease that a toon offers.. Beaching the boat.. big open interior with tables.. Lounge chairs.. full bimini.. Cheap on gas easy to maintain..

This nordic deck I'm sure will be very badass but will still be "performance boat"

But for 80k would I buy this nordic deck over a 80k pontoon absolutely.. but i would never even to think to look at a 80k pontoon.

I looked at one... didn't interest me...couldn't figure out why it was 86k

Paul65k

Reaction score
I like the layout with the dual captain chairs and dual loungers :thumbup::thumbup:
I agree.......single best layout for a pontoon in Havasu.....just run it up on the beach in the channel and watch the world go by from those rear loungers.........only thing missing is a 300xs (for weight and fuel economy) and you got something fun :D

Reaction score

The boat will go 60! My plug, cat fishing boat goes 52 knots and I am doing it with just a 300xs. They could keep the swim step with a longer offset bracket I know because I did the same thing to make the fishing boat out of the entertainment molds 6 years ago. Just wish Arrowhead would let it on the lake they say it is too long because of the offset bracket. Nice looking wacker Nordic.

shueman

Reaction score
We are not a "toon" market...You head east, there's HUGE lakes where toons are the norm...Florida as well...

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
For me I only want a pontoon when I'm parked. When I'm driving I love my boat.
I would love to chip in on a pontoon with someone in our crew that wants one that way I could keep all the crap my wife wants like chairs and ez-up off my boat. Lol

outboardrick

Reaction score
I find it funny that we even compare the two. Pontoons are all seating and fun, and maybe a little speed if you have the right one.
Remember where the deck boat came from.... Tunnel boats that had decks on top. Eliminator, Advantage, even Warlock (I had one). When you have a modified hull of any kind you lose all the deck and seating space you would have in a pontoon. The early deck boats had that seating space and I'd love to see someone come back with that concept. Unfortunately tunnel (let's not confuse cats with tunnels) boats don't carry weight well in the front. And the seating space in all the cool deck boats doesn't compare at all with any pontoon. So you have a choice, seating and fun verses performance and a small area for friends.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I find it funny that we even compare the two. Pontoons are all seating and fun, and maybe a little speed if you have the right one.
Remember where the deck boat came from.... Tunnel boats that had decks on top. Eliminator, Advantage, even Warlock (I had one). When you have a modified hull of any kind you lose all the deck and seating space you would have in a pontoon. The early deck boats had that seating space and I'd love to see someone come back with that concept. Unfortunately tunnel (let's not confuse cats with tunnels) boats don't carry weight well in the front. And the seating space in all the cool deck boats doesn't compare at all with any pontoon. So you have a choice, seating and fun verses performance and a small area for friends.
Yeah I agree........Tunnels do a terrible job of carrying the front :D

Schiada Regatta 9-14.jpg