WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop Guru? 3 blade vs. 4 blade??

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a worn 3 blade 23P prop, thinking about trying a new prop to see if it helps out if the hole, and general performance.

22' boat with a 502 and bravo 1 running i'm guessing stock 1.5 gears.

Seems like that's the common prop to run on that size V bottom mild HP boat. What's the positives and negatives of going to a 4 blade? More traction, better hole shot? Harder on the drive?

Any ideas?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Try a 22p 4 blade for better out of the hole and midrange. You will lose a little on top compared to a 23 3 blade. I have a 22' boat with 454mpi . 4 blade is better for tubing and boarding. Have a 23 4 blade and it is to much bite for my hp.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I'm currently running a worn 3 blade 23P prop, thinking about trying a new prop to see if it helps out if the hole, and general performance.

Seems like that's the common prop to run on that size V bottom mild HP boat. What's the positives and negatives of going to a 4 blade? More traction, better hole shot? Harder on the drive?

Any ideas?

What boat? My 22 cole skier hated 3 blades. 4 blade better 5 blade way better.
I rant a 21 4 blade with 454 330hp

BigSteve

Reaction score

Any ideas?

What type of exhaust system do you have

Does it flow thru the propeller ? If it does thru hub props can be vented and custom tuned for a better hole shot

4 Blade props have a better over all balance and run smoother corner better handle rougher water than a 3 blade

A good 3 blade on the right boat can be a tick or two faster

Your drive life is in your own hand. Controlled acceleration while starting and using the correct prop for the activity is key to getting good drive life.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
What boat? My 22 cole skier hated 3 blades. 4 blade better 5 blade way better.
I rant a 21 4 blade with 454 330hp
Superhawk, with a stock 502. I've got a buddy with a 24P 4 blade, I think it's going to be too much, I'd like to try the 22P 4 blade.
What type of exhaust system do you have

Does it flow thru the propeller ? If it does thru hub props can be vented and custom tuned for a better hole shot

4 Blade props have a better over all balance and run smoother corner better handle rougher water than a 3 blade

A good 3 blade on the right boat can be a tick or two faster

Your drive life is in your own hand. Controlled acceleration while starting and using the correct prop for the activity is key to getting good drive life.
Through transom exhaust. I've always been easy on the drive.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I don't know if yours likes to lean on turns but the 5blade flattened it out quite a bit. I would try a 23 revolution or the likes Call cutting edge.

cole_skier

Reaction score
My 22.4 Skier really likes to lean over. Will a 5 blade make a big difference?

tkrrox

Reaction score
My 22.4 Skier really likes to lean over. Will a 5 blade make a big difference?

I put a 5 blade cutting edge and it did make quite a difference. I could actually turn hard under power. It still lifted but before I could get my wife's hair wet

cole_skier

Reaction score
Same with mine. Wife is always looking at me "really you had to do that". I will have to check into that. I have a bravo 22 4 blade but it did not make much difference

tkrrox

Reaction score
What do you usually run? I don't remember but I think it was a 21 5blade and I had a 330 merc. It would still lift but it was a lot better. The first time I drive the boat it took me by surprise. After I got used to it it was fine.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I seem to be over collecting Bravo props these days....if anybody wants to try a 21P-5, 14X22P-4, 15X22P-4 or 23P-3 lemme know. Oh, all left rotation.

cole_skier

Reaction score
What do you usually run? I don't remember but I think it was a 21 5blade and I had a 330 merc. It would still lift but it was a lot better. The first time I drive the boat it took me by surprise. After I got used to it it was fine.

Right now I have 23 3 blade on it. Your right about the first time you make a hard turn, made me pucker a little.

tkrrox

Reaction score
Go to a 5 or 4 at minimum. Mine hated a 3. Like I said a 5 felt the best. The 4 was a lot better but still rose one direction more than the other. I can't remember which way. Once you knew what it did it wasn't bad at all but with the hallett I can carve

jponfrank

Reaction score
I might be able to help. I have a 21ft superboat with a 509 built up a bit. Bravo 1. My best speed was with a mirage 27 non plus. (87.2 gps at the rev limter 5800). It is a handful. Right now I run a labbed 28p Bravo with no pvs holes. I run 77 at 5000. That's a perfect speed for the boat. I might try a five blade if I come across one. Hope this helps. Joe

KenM

Reaction score
Hello.. I have a 4 blade 19 pitch 454 bravo 1.. The boat jumps out of the water on launch but can only get about 65mph..is told to use a 21or 22 pitch.. I tried a3 blade got a lot of speed but boat wouldn't turn or launch.. Any ideas?.. Thanks Ken

BigSteve

Reaction score
Hello.. I have a 4 blade 19 pitch 454 bravo 1.. The boat jumps out of the water on launch but can only get about 65mph..is told to use a 21or 22 pitch.. I tried a3 blade got a lot of speed but boat wouldn't turn or launch.. Any ideas?.. Thanks Ken

More info please !

First, you have a 19 pitch but what brand, diameter, # of blades, max rpm and speed

Second, thru hub or over the hub design prop, Does your exhaust exit thru the prop?

I like a 4 blade props because they run smoother and corner much better
However, a 3 blade can be a faster top end prop