WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 270 Owners - Prop suggestions for pulling kids on their toys?

kwpipkins

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum as of today. I just purchased a 2002 Hallett 270S Step outfitted with a stock 496 Mag HO and stock Bravo 1 drive. I'm pretty sure the previous owner changed props and I wanted to hear from other owners what they are running that have good luck pulling their kids around the lake. I have twins that love to kneeboard and tube and need to new boat to perform as best it can. Top end speed is not near as important as slow speed maneuverability and mid-range performance. I have read of some owners experienced pretty bad prop blowouts and porpoising. I really want to hear comments for those that own, have owned, and know someone that has a step hull. From what I gather the v bottom is a much different boat. I'll see if I can't figure out how to post a pic. Thanks in advance for all those that respond.
2002 Hallett.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
What prop are you currently running? In my friends 26' Cobra I switched from a 26p 4 blade bravo 1 to a 24. With the 24 I can stay on plane at 25mph where the 26 it was 33-35mph. I still have some blowout on sharp hard turns while tubing. Anyone know the ideal prop for a 26' Cobra with 496HO.

BajaMike

Reaction score
What prop does it have now?? Does it go up quickly onto plane and does the nose come right down? Will it easily get up to at least 5000 RPM at wide open throttle with a fully loaded boat (fuel, ice, drinks, water and people)??

Under prop is usually better than over propped, especially when you want to fill the boat and family recreation.

Being under propped puts way less strain on your engine and drive, but you may need to make sure you don't over rev it (listen for the warning buzzer and watch the tach).

Also, make sure you have the drive trimmed all the way down when you start out and when doing low speed water sports.

kwpipkins

Reaction score
From what I gather most of these boats came out with a 4 blade Bravo 1, 15 1/4 inch diameter, and I'm guessing 26 pitch. The prop that is on it now is a 4 blade 14 5/8 diameter 21 pitch. On the test mid-range test run I had to keep the trim all the way down or it experience blowout - this can't be right. I'm hoping that other 270 owners chime in here.

Ok, here is an update. I called Hallett and talked to Jim. He said my boat came with the Revolution 4 in either a 21 or 23 pitch. So I'll have to wait until next year to see how the boat performs pulling the kids. In the meantime I'll monitor this thread for more comments and see how the boat performs with some more weight in it.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
We need more info , a Revolution prop ? kinda odd ...I would think a 24 Bravo 1 empty / light load and a Bravo 1 22 when loaded down
people and ice chests etc ...the only way to find out is grab some props and start testing ! and maybe call a specialty prop repair / lab
place .

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We need more info , a Revolution prop ? kinda odd ...I would think a 24 Bravo 1 empty / light load and a Bravo 1 22 when loaded down
people and ice chests etc ...the only way to find out is grab some props and start testing ! and maybe call a specialty prop repair / lab
place .

that boat will struggel with a 24 p bravo... as hallett says.. a 21-23 pitch rev 4 will work the best...
a 22 bravo will work... it'll run slower and not carry the bow good.....so that means way more fuel ...

best thing to do is try a 23p rev 4....

don't rule out ron hill and solex ...

oh, and I have owned a few hallett... baddest mo fo's on the water:D:thumbup:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
props 001.jpg

I have a few props you could try,.. hit me up if you come to vegas

props 002.jpg props 003.jpg