WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuck cancer!!!

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
So everyone here pretty much knows about my bout with it. What no one really knows is about the help I got. I had a friend that really stepped up and stood by my side and really gave me a lot of support. This person went above and beyond to make me feel better through that hell. Words cannot describe the appreciation I have for this person. It's something I will never forget and will appreciate for the rest of my life. I couldn't have done it without that help.
Fast forward to tonight. I have a friend/coworker that has throat cancer. He started radiation treatment about 2 months ago. I've kinda been his go to person I guess since I just went through it. He was working the first month then it started wearing on him and he had to take off. I text him every couple days just to see how he's doing and like a typical tough guy he tells me "it's not a big deal. I'm ok". Well tonight I get a text from him. This is how it began.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412133081.127204.jpg

I'm not gonna share the rest cause honestly it's not necessary. I feel terrible for him. I know what he's going through. Needless to say I'm now that person giving the support instead of receiving it. I gotta be honest, This may be harder than being the guy going through the treatments. I know I've told my support buddy a bunch of times how much I appreciated it but I honestly don't think I've thanked that person enough. It's tough being that person. Please say a prayer for my buddy Mikey. He's probably gonna be just fine when this is all said and done but let's face it, a few extra thoughts and prayers never hurt.

TBulger

Reaction score
So sorry, trouble of the worst kind, prayers sent. :thumbup:

HBCraig

Reaction score
That sucks man. Be there for him. Sounds like a great dude.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
You're a good dude Barker............like many here we would hope that we would do the same but you're actions real and more importantly they are the true definition of friendship and being a human being........God Bless and all the best to your friend :thumbup::thumbup:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Prayers sent.

You're a good person DJunkie and Mikey sounds like a person who puts other peoples needs and emotions before himself.

The world is a better place with both of you.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% Dave, Fuck cancer. Be the good friend, he needs you.

Best of luck to your buddy, he'll be in my thoughts.

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Awesome job you are doing. My son was able to avoid radiation. Positive thoughts sent to your buddy.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Prayers for Mikey and his cancer buddy.....

Carl

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I have lost 2 friends to cancer in the last year. Both very young (37-38) with 2 kids each. It's a tough deal and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. I will say a prayer for your friend.

wishiknew

Reaction score
So everyone here pretty much knows about my bout with it. What no one really knows is about the help I got. I had a friend that really stepped up and stood by my side and really gave me a lot of support. This person went above and beyond to make me feel better through that hell. Words cannot describe the appreciation I have for this person. It's something I will never forget and will appreciate for the rest of my life. I couldn't have done it without that help.
Fast forward to tonight. I have a friend/coworker that has throat cancer. He started radiation treatment about 2 months ago. I've kinda been his go to person I guess since I just went through it. He was working the first month then it started wearing on him and he had to take off. I text him every couple days just to see how he's doing and like a typical tough guy he tells me "it's not a big deal. I'm ok". Well tonight I get a text from him. This is how it began.
View attachment 368794

I'm not gonna share the rest cause honestly it's not necessary. I feel terrible for him. I know what he's going through. Needless to say I'm now that person giving the support instead of receiving it. I gotta be honest, This may be harder than being the guy going through the treatments. I know I've told my support buddy a bunch of times how much I appreciated it but I honestly don't think I've thanked that person enough. It's tough being that person. Please say a prayer for my buddy Mikey. He's probably gonna be just fine when this is all said and done but let's face it, a few extra thoughts and prayers never hurt.

Your a stand up dude Thanks Dave !!!!!!!!!

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I agree FUCK CANCER! Lost my dad to it a while back. Prayers for your friend.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Didn't really intend this to be about me though. Was just more a vent about what this poor guy is going through. And more importantly the support I got from a very special person. There are still some really good people in this world.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Prayers sent.

I know what it is like standing on the side.
Watching Deb, who couldn't even bear the pain of a hangnail, go through all that hell was the worst. I prayed every single day for God to somehow swap us and let me have it...but of course that doesn't happen.

As you WELL know, the fear and uncertainty is crushing. Having a survivor at your side is an incredible boost.
The people in those chemo and oncology wards become a second family.
I can't imagine your friend having a better support person than you.

Fuck cancer.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The power of friendship can be amazing.
If I could give anyone a great gift it would be a gift of a friend.

A close friend bbq'd at my starting chemo support party 2 months ago.
All my local friends and families were there.
KRTH's Jim Carson, Trophy Truck celibs,, they all spent the night.

This friend had a chest pain last week.
Just diagnosed with advanced Melanoma.
Spread to his lungs and esophagus.

New chemo just released from the study stage that may prolong his life.
Bad shape when cancer hits the lungs and pancreas. That's not good.
You have to catch it early.

13 year old child in town dieing slowly from a miserable cancer.
Parents are struggling with both time and money.
Our son his friend Maynard cleaned up his laptop HD and gave it to him.

We had him over one day too for a change from the hospital and his bedroom at home.

Amazing the power of your friends support.
Hope ya all beat it.

Bad stuff this cancer, but better than ever treatments to beat it.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Prayers sent and good job for helping a friend in need. :tbi

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
Damn man. I'm sorry to hear your friend is going through this. Now it's your turn to be his rock and strength when he thinks he has none. Thoughts and prayers

milkmoney

Reaction score
My thoughts are with your friend, mike.

Hope for the best. Ur a good friend, dave

Reactions: TPC

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I just went through this too, had a buddy w/ it in his throat too. There were days that we could only text cause he couldn't talk. I'll pray that your friends cancer doesn't spread any further and his discomforts are minimal. I have seen first hand how this can slowly break a man down. Being surrounded w/ positivity is a big help! Hang in there for your buddy! For mine, just a text telling him I was thinking about him made his day. Its the little things for sure.

FUCK CANCER!

Reactions: TPC

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Best Wishes to your friends speedy recovery! :D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
my dad was the same way... he got the news that he had some cancer in his bladder and underwent surgery to remove it and now he goes through procedures monthly where they inject some non-active tuberculosis virus in the area which stimulates his immune system to fight it off and any regrowing cancer cells... so far so good. but at first he was like "OH EVERYTHING IS FINE" meanwhile my step mom would say that he'd be out in the yard and she would notice him slowing down and sitting down. he didnt realize how difficult and how tiring the treatments would be.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
See. Good thoughts and prayers do work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412231000.487549.jpg

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Prayers sent...you're a good man stay strong! It is a tough time...I did the same thing when my mom went through breast cancer.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Got an update from Mikey tonight. He's got quite a bit of pain and discomfort but today he completed his last scheduled radiation treatment. He says it's like the worst sore throat of his life matched up with a terrible sunburn on his neck. Says he's spitting up crap heavy enough to dent a car door. He's feeling pretty out of it but his spirits seem pretty good. Hoping his next CT scan is a positive one. Should know soon.

stokernick

Reaction score
never fails to amaze me we're all up on arms with Ebola now and fuckin cancer has been around forever, where are our priorities? God Bless, Heal, and protect!:(