WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NSX best sports car ever made?

koenig

Reaction score
I noticed a few people on here have owned them. Been thinking of getting one off and on for the past year. Only a couple come up for sale here locally per year, rather buy local. Main reason local BC cars need to be insured by our government insurance agency ICBC. They'll give you a car fax type report with not only a damage history with the receipts of what was repaired. Its better then car fax. But have considered U.S. cars as well.

Good article here if you are an NSX fan: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...otus-esprit-turbo-se-archived-comparison-test

I've driven every car in that article except for the ZR-1 and have to agree.

Might consider this one: http://www.carsauto.com/1991-acura-nsx-c-1010.htm

But prefer a latter one.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I would absolutely hold out for the 3.2 litre model with the 6 speed.......97 or later if memory serves and whatever you do stay away from the automatics....real dogs with derated engines, they are worth so much less it's pathetic.

They do chew through tires but unless you drive it a lot it's not an issue and the handling is AWESOME!!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Honda made some great-handling cars back then. Prelude 4WS comes to mind, plus Civic Si's. Even compared to RWD cars, they were very good.

The NSX is a great car, that's for sure. I'd love to own one some day, they're still very relevant.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Honda made some great-handling cars back then. Prelude 4WS comes to mind, plus Civic Si's. Even compared to RWD cars, they were very good.

The NSX is a great car, that's for sure. I'd love to own one some day, they're still very relevant.
How come nobody gets worked up over the old dual turbo supra? That car is Fucking bad azz.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Cuz it was "Fugly"..........Bas Ass for sure but FUGLY:p
I guess. I drove one right when they came out. Fastest production car on the planet that year. Talk about wicked fast. Would stomp all over an NSX. They both cam out right about the same time.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I guess. I drove one right when they came out. Fastest production car on the planet that year. Talk about wicked fast. Would stomp all over an NSX. They both cam out right about the same time.
Pretty sure an NSX would beat one over the Ortega highway with professional drivers in each........all day and twice on Sunday.............Plus an NSX is just Bad Ass looking, even today!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure an NSX would beat one over the Ortega highway with professional drivers in each........all day and twice on Sunday.............Plus an NSX is just Bad Ass looking, even today!!![emoji106][emoji106]
Not a chance. The NSX is all looks. Performance was not that impressive.

Where is Robert when I need him damit? [emoji12]

Paul65k

Reaction score
Not a chance. The NSX is all looks. Performance was not that impressive.

Where is Robert when I need him damit? [emoji12]
Then we agree to disagree............but as this is not the Politics section I'll hold off on the name calling :lmao

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Have you seen what they sell for, especially when mint? Those things are in huge demand, great cars for sure.
Probably one of the hardest accelerating cars I have ever driven. Took a friend for a ride, and he just about shit his pants. 90mph in just a few seconds. He was beyond pissed at me!

Greg Penske was waiting for me when I got back. And said...

I'm thinking about giving away a free performance driving course with everyone of these cars, what do you think?

I told him that that was a Damm good idea.

pronstar

Reaction score
I'd take an NSX over a Supra Turbo. Tough choice though. Both great cars in their own right, but vastly different in execution.

The Supra is a sledgehammer, the NSX a scalpel.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I like my Si. Is fun to drive and gets decent gas mileage. I would love to have an S2K

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I can't count how many times I have heard people talk about the NSX being underpowered.
Sure the early cars were only 270HP but with a curb weight of just over 3,000 lbs it is a very agile car.
I owned a '91 with the 3.0 liter engine. By adding headers and an exhaust with a ProSpeed Chip it dynoed at 266RWHP and with a few simple weight reductions it was down to 2950 lbs.
The power to weight ratio was very favorable. It was a very fun car to drive in the twisty canyon roads.

Honda pioneered some new technologies and introduced them in the NSX.
The NSX was the first production car to feature an all-aluminium monocoque body, incorporating a revolutionary extruded aluminium alloy frame, and suspension....and the first production car in North America with Variable Valve Timing & Electronic Lift Control (V-TEC).

If you look up the Nurburgring lap times, the NSX is still in the Top 100 today...although it is an NSX-R model only available in Japan.
https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

The cockpit was designed with driver visibility in mind. It's like sitting in an F-16 cockpit.

Some good info on the history of the NSX here:
http://racing.dimervansanten.com/the-car/history-of-the-honda-nsx/

I still post on NSXPrime forum. That is your best bet to find a car that was well cared for. There is a Canadian section there you should post a NSX wanted ad and see what is available.

I found this early car that is in Canada for sale
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/184025-1992-NSX-Sebring-Silver-5spd-JH4NA1152NT800046

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I noticed a few people on here have owned them. Been thinking of getting one off and on for the past year. Only a couple come up for sale here locally per year, rather buy local. Main reason local BC cars need to be insured by our government insurance agency ICBC. They'll give you a car fax type report with not only a damage history with the receipts of what was repaired. Its better then car fax. But have considered U.S. cars as well.

Good article here if you are an NSX fan: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...otus-esprit-turbo-se-archived-comparison-test

I've driven every car in that article except for the ZR-1 and have to agree.

Might consider this one: http://www.carsauto.com/1991-acura-nsx-c-1010.htm

But prefer a latter one.

That car in the link is a really good find. Has lots of service records. Looks like a little mileage typo in one of the services flagged the odometer reading but it is only one entry.
If you buy a 91-92 Just make sure it is not in the "Snap Ring range"...This one looks to be a very early in the production range #866 which I think is prior to the snap ring issue.
You can only tell by verifying the transmission serial number.
Here is a good resource for buying an NSX...there is a checklist you can download also.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:purchasing_an_NSX

I would absolutely hold out for the 3.2 litre model with the 6 speed.......97 or later if memory serves and whatever you do stay away from the automatics....real dogs with derated engines, they are worth so much less it's pathetic.

They do chew through tires but unless you drive it a lot it's not an issue and the handling is AWESOME!!

If you reduce the rear toe settings (updated 1994 spec) you can increase the rear tire mileage to get 10,000 miles from a set of rears.

There was a class action suit against Honda for tire wear early on so Honda modified the toe settings to mitigate that.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The NSX is a brilliant auto- and stunning to drive. Might be the best handling car Ive ever driven.

The only downside Ive seen is that water rumps and timing belts are a beeotch - and it's a tire eating monster.

I believe there was a class action suit against Acura/honda regarding eating tires.

UD

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Cuz it was "Fugly"..........Bas Ass for sure but FUGLY:p

I don't think it's fugly. :D

NSX is a badass car. Suing over tire wear is one of the dumbest things I have heard. "My foot weighs too much so I'm suing the car builder!" :roll eyes But hey, someone sued Honda for falling off a quad while changing a lightbulb in their garage and won,,,,, :grumble:

Attachments

• images-of-toyota-supra-84.jpg
    images-of-toyota-supra-84.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 14

boatpi

Reaction score
For an older sports car not a bad car at all. But they go through tires FASTER than a Lambo!. Add to that any repairs can be pricey, if damaged parts delays are months.

If you do it right the later ones will cost as much as a 2014 Vette. Does that make sense? It is a niche car, so if your heart is destined for an NSX, then fine, if not, other choices make much more sense.

For a much larger investment, I predict the 2013-2014 lambo Gallardos will hold if not increase in value in the next few years as the Huracan is about 100K more. A 2K mile 2013 sold a BJ Vegas for 200K.

sirbob

Reaction score
How come nobody gets worked up over the old dual turbo supra? That car is Fucking bad azz.

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/images/articles/EagleHF89/TOY_6.jpg

One of my best friends and the best man in my wedding was the chief engine builder for the Toyota GTP team in the late 80s and early 90s ..

He drove a new stock looking Supra then with the same motor that he built for the team cars - same turbos - down to a custom built exhaust etc.

Needless to say there were very few cars that where faster than that one.

Now that car WAS bad azz!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I like the Supras, here is a good comparison shot.

71962_658803721105_120408780_38096238_6611596_n.jpg

sirbob

Reaction score
For a much larger investment, I predict the 2013-2014 lambo Gallardos will hold if not increase in value in the next few years as the Huracan is about 100K more. A 2K mile 2013 sold a BJ Vegas for 200K.

Are you serious?

That car will be dropping like a rock !

While they may only loose 20% over then next few years in 5 years that car will well under 100k no doubt.

And if you look 20 years from now there is no way that car will anywhere near it's selling price today.

And I would not use BJ as the price guide for any car.

IMO.

boatpi

Reaction score
Just load this up and have it delivered. About same weight as an NSX, but 550HP, 6 speed paddle shift, Xm, holds 1,000 tunes in Sd card slots, and the sound of 10 cylinders (0-60 3.3).

Attachments

• garage pix.jpg
    garage pix.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16

boatpi

Reaction score
FYI, 2008 models are 110K 2009's at 135-150K, 2011's over 155K. Time will tell but if you are buying any future depreciation as well as other associated operating is not a significant part of the buying decision. Driving it IS.
But you could buy 2 new Vettes for the same $$ as a late model Gallardo, or a new Esclade AND a Vette. Like all sports car decision, like an NSX decisions are driven by passion.

pronstar

Reaction score
Just load this up and have it delivered. About same weight as an NSX, but 550HP, 6 speed paddle shift, Xm, holds 1,000 tunes in Sd card slots, and the sound of 10 cylinders (0-60 3.3).

How is this even in the same universe as a $35k NSX? LOL

boatpi

Reaction score
I mentioned that it was in a different league price wise, that said the purchase of a specific sports car, or exotic is more often driven by passion, been there and never looked back. The suggestion, or comparison of the last Supra is a good one. Look at the Ford GT, I know, more $$, but it will be a million dollar car in the not too distant future. Just watch everything above 4 cylinders go away in this decade. get your hands on the best year, cleanest model of whatever, and hold on to it.

koenig

Reaction score
First no to automatics, only auto that makes sense is in new Ferrari's and older 928S. The supra is o.k. but like the faster RX-7 twin turbo they are a dime a dozen here. Canadian import rules make it easier to get Japanese cars from Japan. I think the Japanese domestic market cars have more HP because they have less emissions, European rules. Drawback Japan is right hand drive. Here still rare but the NSX R is available. My brother looked at early Gallardo's, nice car but still around $119K. For a little less money Id go Ferrari F360, you can get a low miles, convertible for $80k here. Vette territory and performance.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My next NSX will be a NSX-R clone

NSX-R_Clone.jpg

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Great thread.NSXs were so far ahead of their time its redic. Imma pass on that red one with spoiler tho...

gqchris

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing the R8's for a while. Anyone here own one? They seem to be a "cheaper" way to get into a supercar of sorts. There is a black one in the Storage facility I use, it is just badass!

[video=youtube;JCu4sEMw9sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCu4sEMw9sw[/video]

nowski

Reaction score
What's the line in Vegas because I'm willing to bet the NSX is not the best sports car ever made although they are good looking...

sirbob

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing the R8's for a while. Anyone here own one? They seem to be a "cheaper" way to get into a supercar of sorts. There is a black one in the Storage facility I use, it is just badass!

[video=youtube;JCu4sEMw9sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCu4sEMw9sw[/video]

I always like those cars too - until I drove one. Not to say it was not nice, it just lacked any edge. It was just a "nice" sports car. I did about 12 laps in Vegas at that place you can drive a bunch of super cars, I had been considering one of these for purchase but after driving it I decided I would rather something a little sportier.

Great car though.

gqchris

Reaction score
I always like those cars too - until I drove one. Not to say it was not nice, it just lacked any edge. It was just a "nice" sports car. I did about 12 laps in Vegas at that place you can drive a bunch of super cars, I had been considering one of these for purchase but after driving it I decided I would rather something a little sportier.

Great car though.

Thanks SirBob. I havent driven one yet, so that helps in knowing they arent that "edgey". I been eyeballing the older Ferraris too. For 50k, you can pick up a nicer F355 Spider these days. Always wanted one of those!!

Chris

koenig

Reaction score
My brother and I, we tried an R-8 before buying his A-8. Wasn't bad, but not that exciting. It was more regular car then sports car. Thought it was like driving an Audi sedan a nice one though. F355 is more exciting, did 0to60 in just under 4.7 seconds, so still fairly fast even though the new ZO6 does it in 2.7secs. Its a $50K car here as well and I've thought about one as well. There is a few cars I want to get over the next few years while they are still cheap.

boatpi

Reaction score
STAY AWAY from an F-355, u need to pull the engine to do maintance like cam belts, etc. Go with a 308/360, cam belts needed but no engine pull. better clutch too. the days of the manual shift Italian cars are about gone, paddle shift E gears are perfected and so much less to maintain.

manual at 200 MPH : [video=youtube;zu2pnvrPzYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu2pnvrPzYA[/video]

E gear: Jay leno, [video=youtube;6WqgFOL7t1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqgFOL7t1U[/video]

koenig

Reaction score
The problem with the 308, don't get me wrong, I want one and its one of the cars to get now while its still cheap. But I want it purely for looks and it was the Magnum PI car. Performance wise, it handles great, but its really slow in everything else. Sounds good, 0to60 is like 6.7seconds to 7seconds depending on the year you get. 1980 to 83 cars only have 200hp. The engine out service on a Ferrari is a lot less at independent shops, you'll probably only do it once or get one with a recent full service and it will last you about 5 years.

sirbob

Reaction score
Thanks SirBob. I havent driven one yet, so that helps in knowing they arent that "edgey". I been eyeballing the older Ferraris too. For 50k, you can pick up a nicer F355 Spider these days. Always wanted one of those!!

Chris

Hell, I sold a REALLY nice black and tan 355B at Russo and Steel Auction a couple of years ago for $44,000 a little below market but it was time for it to go.

Funny thing is I've been thinking about buying another one!

In fact there was a time I had 3 really nice black and tan cars all at once :thumbup::D

Attachments

• AUT_0183.JPG
    AUT_0183.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 17

boatpi

Reaction score
You can get 360's at a good price now, and like was mentioned here a much better engine than 308, as 308's do tend to blow smoke at 30K plus miles.

Remember Mr. Lamborghini had a tractor company, owned a Ferrari but had cluth issues. got blow off by Enzo so he started his own company. Now they have the benefit of VW/Audi for untold R and I work, thus probably the most reliable exotic made. Hell they get 610 HP NO turbo out of 5.2L in the Huracan!

Acura has big dreams for the new NSX, I think they will come true, looking forward to it next year.

BTW: Lamb dealers do not have new cars in stock, they are sold by order as all production is so backlogged. That says something on quality

Passion drives these cars, I know as I have owned some, and own one now, NSX of 90's gets my vote for a good choice, but don't pass up a Supra.

spectras only

Reaction score
My buddy owns an absolute mint NSX. Awesome car, but couldn't live with one unless I installed a bad azz turbo in it.:cool Lacking torque just like the S2000 [ also like them ] did. What I'm missing in all the cars mentioned above is the lack of visceral driving experience. They're too refined for my liking drivng a sports car. The Audi R8 would suit me fine for cruising around town but only if it had the gated shifter. 2013-08-05 11.46.59.jpg

With Ferrari , I'd go for the now more affordable Maranello 550 series. front engine V-12 with manual shift! My friend traded in this one on a 599 with paddle shifts that I don't care for. Picture 2877.jpg

koenig

Reaction score
F355 and up if you want more modern performance. The 550 drives like a big grand touring car and that's what it was designed to be. So its a little less sports car. I was still a car dealer in Toronto when the 550 came out. I was buying trade ins at a BMW dealership, that happened to be owned by Ferrari of Ontario. They had a couple of cars for the auto show and Ferrari dropped them off at the dealer after hours. The GM of the BMW dealer was also GM of the Ferrari side. He needed drivers and since I was there picking up a 7series he asked if I wanted to drive a Ferrari into town for him. I agreed and got tossed the keys to a 550. It wasn't available to the public yet at the time. The good news was told to drive it like a sports car you just stole. Its a great car, but you can get a 360 for the same money and its so much more a sports car.

pronstar

Reaction score
I would offer this:
Italian V12 sports cars can be quite expensive to maintain.

koenig

Reaction score
The V8 is better then the 12 service wise, but the latter isn't bad as long as you avoid the Ferrari dealers.

koenig

Reaction score
Hell, I sold a REALLY nice black and tan 355B at Russo and Steel Auction a couple of years ago for $44,000 a little below market but it was time for it to go.

Funny thing is I've been thinking about buying another one!

In fact there was a time I had 3 really nice black and tan cars all at once :thumbup::D

My brother has always wanted a mondial. Since weird science, he was 10 when he saw that movie back in the 80's.