WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Project Schiada restoration

Liberated

Reaction score
Just getting started on a complete restoration of a 27" Schiada. The boat is a 1983 and apparently has never been rigged and has never been wet. There are 2 transom holes cut and exhaust holes in it but the dash has never been cut and the rest of the boat has never been rigged. The customer says the boat was purchased new and sat in a barn in Oregon for 20 years before being sold to another person who then let it sit outside for another 10 years. It is pretty rough but when we are finished with it this will be a brand new boat!!! Here are the before pics to get this thread going.

IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1606.jpg IMG_1605.jpg IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1603.jpg IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1601.jpg IMG_1600.jpg

As you can see the floors and transom are totally rotted out of it. We are going to rebuild the whole boat with the same composite materials that we use here at Nordic to build our boats with. When we are done taking it apart it will literally be down to just as it was when it came from the molds. We have already started that process so here are a few pics of the beginning of that process. We have cut the deck off the boat and are removing the old transom now. It was originally built with a 1" thick transom and somebody added another layer to it to make it thick enough to accommodate stern drives. Good thing they didn't finish it because the two different layers were never properly bonded together!!

IMG_1622.jpg IMG_1621.jpg IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1619.jpg 20141023_083406.jpg 20141023_083333.jpg 20141023_083319.jpg

This is going to be a great project and one that I am sure the customer will be very happy with when finished:D

rivergames

Reaction score
Oh hell ya! Can't wait to see the work you guys put in this one :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
^^^ awesome thread in the making. This will keep the inmates happy during the "off-season".

cofooter

Reaction score
Sad sight to see. Look forward to the rebuild pics and story. I'd like to find and do the same thing on a RC someday.

575cat

Reaction score
And other manufacturers are still using wood , HHHHHHMMMMM:grumble:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, this will be quite the build.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
I have to ask... how will this be any cheaper/beneficial than a new boat??

Backlash

Reaction score
I am sure the purchase price was substantially less than what it would cost for Schiada to lay up a brand new 27'. ;)

What I find interesting is there are two transom cutouts but only one motor well. :D

Regardless of how it was, this will be an amazing boat once it's finished. Please please please include as much information/pictures as you are able to share with us. As stated earlier, a lot of people will be following this thread!

Thank you in advance!

Henry

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
A total labor of love , and a hell of a lotta work !

NicPaus

Reaction score
Was this the one on craigslist a while back? Does Schiada even still have the molds for a 27?

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but IF it has been discarded, I'm sure a few phone calls could be made. If all parties agreed and we're willing, it wouldn't be hard to create a new mold (Schiada, Nordic and the customer). Now would be the time to do that before this 27' is re-gelled. :D

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine letting my little 19 foot Jetbote sit out in the weather... and that thing is a Shiada! Those are not cheap. Sad, but I bet it'll look good when ya'll are done! Gonna continue with two engines?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
subscribing. i love me a build thread.

BamBam

Reaction score
Was this the one on craigslist a while back? Does Schiada even still have the molds for a 27?

The 27' was built in the 31' mold with an insert. A ton of work needed to be done once the boats came out of the mold because the 31' had a big rocker at that point in the mold. The 27' deck mold was specific to the 27' but there was never a bottom mold (I don't know if either of those molds still exist). I always loved the looks of the 27', but it was not cost effective to build more without a bottom mold due to the man hours involved to fix the bottom each time. I think the 27' Schiada was a little ahead of its time. The client base for Schiada was not ready to step up from the small day cruisers into the bigger boats. In my opinion it has great lines and is un-mistakably Schiada and I think something was lost with lines on the 32' Schiada. I am very happy to see this boat being rebuilt. I will certainly be following this thread.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I know how much I enjoyed Kayotics build of his Bahner, I can't wait for this. You keeping it dual engines? I didn't realize the top cap would just come apart so easily, not saying it's easy but you get what I mean. Funny how the Schiada name stayed pretty brilliant.

Have fun and good luck!!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I was wondering who they were going to have put this together. I have it on pretty good authority (the owner) they are sticking with twins (anyways the last time I talked to him they were). It would be pretty bad ass with a #6 or 8 and a 1350 though! This thing will be sick and they (the owner) will do it right and Nordic will do as they always do. Can't wait to see thins ting on the water in Parker...perfect boat for the strip!

DaveH

Reaction score
I was wondering who they were going to have put this together. I have it on pretty good authority (the owner) they are sticking with twins (anyways the last time I talked to him they were). It would be pretty bad ass with a #6 or 8 and a 1350 though! This thing will be sick and they (the owner) will do it right and Nordic will do as they always do. Can't wait to see thins ting on the water in Parker...perfect boat for the strip!

if that is GW's boat i thought it was at Garys. wonder what happened.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Glad to see it at Nordic getting dialed, Gonna be a badass boat for sure. :thumbup:

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I heard they are putting twin v drives with built Cummins diesels. Going for something different.

Wozencraft

Reaction score
All I can say is this is LOVE! This is a long way to go with this Schiada. Can't wait to see more progress photos.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Because some people want a 55 Chevy instead of a Ferrari. Old school cool!!!

Love, love, love it. Cant wait to see the progress!! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

shueman

Reaction score
Johnny your gonna love doing this one...!!! True Winter Project...
Shop guys are crazy talented and this gives them a real opportunity to showoff their skillz...:thumbup:

rush1

Reaction score
Personally I think a pair of 540's would be perfect in it.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Just heard from the owners son what they are thinking of doing for power. Its going to be badass. I don't want to say anything since its not for me to say but it will be nice.

82daytona

Reaction score
Just heard from the owners son what they are thinking of doing for power. Its going to be badass. I don't want to say anything since its not for me to say but it will be nice.

Then why say anything? :/

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Just to keep you guys hooked. I'll see him tonight and talk to him about posting it. I'm sure he won't mind.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

They don't have those molds anymore so you can't get a new one period. And there are only a few in existence. It is also the best looking boat in that size range and configuration (my opinion and many other's as well). So there is really nothing you can build new that gets you all of those things, plus being a Schiada. Classic lines of a Schiada, with a full cabin, twin engines, etc. And performance wise the boat will run right up there with any other performance non-stepped v in that size range.

It's the best of all worlds.

sirbob

Reaction score
They don't have those molds anymore so you can't get a new one period. And there are only a few in existence. It is also the best looking boat in that size range and configuration (my opinion and many other's as well). So there is really nothing you can build new that gets you all of those things, plus being a Schiada. Classic lines of a Schiada, with a full cabin, twin engines, etc. And performance wise the boat will run right up there with any other performance non-stepped v in that size range.

It's the best of all worlds.

Well I guess that answers the question I was just about to ask...

How much would it cost to pull a new hull from the mold - when I see this boat the first thing I think of is it would make a bitchen wood deck cocktail cruzer - I would move the cockpit forward and have a circular seating area with a table behind the driver ...

And that Cummings turbo motor package would give great torque. ;-)

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Well I guess that answers the question I was just about to ask...

How much would it cost to pull a new hull from the mold - when I see this boat the first thing I think of is it would make a bitchen wood deck cocktail cruzer - I would move the cockpit forward and have a circular seating area with a table behind the driver ...

And that Cummings turbo motor package would give great torque. ;-)

The only problem with that idea is that would shorten the deck and that would ruin the beautiful lines and proportions of this boat. IMHO. Just one mans opinion though. It should be cool what ever they do to it.

St3eve

BMABITY

Reaction score
Single 1350 with twin # 6's, like the ski race boat! That would have the potential to bring Hotboat back!:D

sirbob

Reaction score
The only problem with that idea is that would shorten the deck and that would ruin the beautiful lines and proportions of this boat. IMHO. Just one mans opinion though. It should be cool what ever they do to it.

St3eve

I get why you say that but if you think of the old wooden Rivas you will see that they have a forward cockpit and they seem to have achieved classic status - that's the look I see on a sportier hull.

Kfabe

Reaction score
Word is.... twin Cummings diesels are a go!!

spectras only

Reaction score
What Cummins would that be? Had twin 4.2 D-TRONIC 300'S in my boat, did alright but topped out at 65 mph only. Max RPM [ 4200] Bravo 1X diesel drives with 1.65 DR spinning 26P Bravos. Boat is much happier with the 6.2's that are in it now.
My boat running with the diesels in my avatar.

12001sidneypokerrun016-med.jpg

Liberated

Reaction score
Floors and almost all bulkheads are out. Should have it gutted by days end.

IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1635.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This will be cool.....

Not sold on the diesel program. I think a merc 700 and nxt would be fun

spectras only

Reaction score
You can't fit two big blocks.

What is the deadrise on this 27 Schiada? I could squeeze two big blocks in my boat, albeit would be near impossible servicing it with those. My boat has 8' beam and 24* deadrise. I'd have some healthy small blocks in that Schiada myself.:thumbup:

Room with the 6.2's, spark plugs can be removed without too much hassle:).
Twin%20377's

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
What is the deadrise on this 27 Schiada? I could squeeze two big blocks in my boat, albeit would be near impossible servicing it with those. My boat has 8' beam and 24* deadrise. I'd have some healthy small blocks in that Schiada myself.:thumbup:

Room with the 6.2's, spark plugs can be removed without too much hassle:).
Twin%20377's

Not sure on the deadrise but in the 27 it is the width. Justin had 2 blown 383s in his and they were shoe horned into that thing.

spectras only

Reaction score
Not sure on the deadrise but in the 27 it is the width. Justin had 2 blown 383s in his and they were shoe horned into that thing.

looking at the picture of the rear, it looks no more than 20 degrees so, the engines would sit higher up, needing a higher hatch that I never was a fan of.
maybe a single big block sitting deeper in the engine bay would be a better option for a sleeker look.
There were 2 blown 383's in my boat prior to the diesels. The blowers/carbs required to have a tall engine hatch made for it.I like the low profile deck now that I made for the 6.2's!

here, the 383's with boxed hatch
mir1.jpg

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
looking at the picture of the rear, it looks no more than 20 degrees so, the engines would sit higher up, needing a higher hatch that I never was a fan of.
maybe a single big block sitting deeper in the engine bay would be a better option for a sleeker look.
There were 2 blown 383's in my boat prior to the diesels. The blowers/carbs required to have a tall engine hatch made for it.I like the low profile deck now that I made for the 6.2's!

here, the 383's with boxed hatch
mir1.jpg

I would love to see it with a 1350 and a 6. I can't remember what Justin had as far a hatch on his 27. they were carbureted 383s with 871s so they were pretty tall.

Mondorally

Reaction score
I would love to see it with a 1350 and a 6. I can't remember what Justin had as far a hatch on his 27. they were carbureted 383s with 871s so they were pretty tall.

:thumbup:

Attachments

• 27' Schiada (1).jpg
    27' Schiada (1).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 27' Schiada (2).jpg
    27' Schiada (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 135
  • 27' Schiada (3).jpg
    27' Schiada (3).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 146

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Subscribed! I remember seeing this at the Needles show and thinking it would be a cool project :thumbup:

Hammer

Reaction score
Nothing cooler than a set of twins in a 27'er. Twin small blocks are the only way to go..