WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spectra downunder

pwcon

Reaction score
Great to see a forum dedicated to Spectras. We have a few down in Australia all 19s and in v drive configuration. They were popular in ski racing with a few still running in river races Hope fully my attachment worked so you can have a look at my 19

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 97

pwcon

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I've never seen a 20 in the flesh but they look like a pretty big boat compared to the 19.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I've never seen a 20 in the flesh but they look like a pretty big boat compared to the 19.

Yep, they are. More of cruiser hull but none the less they can move if you add some power.

pwcon

Reaction score
ex twin turbo 19 ski race boat I want to repower with something a bit quieter

Attachments

• $_57[2].jpg
    $_57[2].jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 125
  • $_57[3].jpg
    $_57[3].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 104
  • $_57[1].jpg
    $_57[1].jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 126

Malcolm

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 19s myself. I have 3, well... 2 and a half. Sunk one in the river a couple years ago. Just got this one wet a few months ago.

sarafina1.jpg

pwcon

Reaction score
I agree Malcolm even though both mine are well over 25 years old they still turn heads. My young bloke would love a wake boat but I just cant bring myself to buy one. Is that a jet? It seems that most of the 19s over there are I havent seen one in Australia even though jets were popular in other hulls like the Hallet etc during the late 70s.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
ex twin turbo 19 ski race boat I want to repower with something a bit quieter

Nice Boat!! Got any pics of the transom?

I agree Malcolm even though both mine are well over 25 years old they still turn heads. My young bloke would love a wake boat but I just cant bring myself to buy one. Is that a jet? It seems that most of the 19s over there are I havent seen one in Australia even though jets were popular in other hulls like the Hallet etc during the late 70s.

It seems like 95% of the 19's over here are Jets.. V-Drive 19's are pretty rare, and when you do find them they want a million bucks for them. Most over here say that these hulls get real spooky right around the 100 mph mark..

RD

pwcon

Reaction score
Thanks River Dave. most would agree that the spectra is not the boat you should be going 100 in but as you know that doesnt stop some people from having a go. Apparently the white and blue boat got very untidy when powered by the twin turbo.

Attachments

• 20141103_181850.jpg
    20141103_181850.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 106
  • $_57[4].jpg
    $_57[4].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 92

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
Daves right on handful to drive over 100 the tail seems to lift a lot.I was told
few years back that there was a mold for the 19 floating around downunder
Ive driven both vee drive and jet with big power and very fun boats to drive.

pwcon

Reaction score
Daves right on handful to drive over 100 the tail seems to lift a lot.I was told

There are a few moulds of the 19 around with a couple of different people having built them over the years.The bloke who built both mine had a mould for a 20 foot Rayson and a small Hondo but he called them something else ,can't quite remember what as it was a few years ago. The Rayson copy he turned out was a nice boat with a couple competing in circuit racing in the 80s to early 90s.

Malcolm

Reaction score
Yes, mine are all jets. Nice and slow, this one is stuck in the 50s.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Stan from Crusader boats has a 19 mold ready to go if anyone wants one.

RD

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
The blue boat has a very narrow center plate, does it have a 'delta pad bottom' (built with an insert in the mold) ? Why is the center plate fixed ? Down under, are you running a 'big gear ratio' and a '14 or 15 pitch prop' with the turbo/ big power ? Thanks .....

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
Stan from Crusader boats has a 19 mold ready to go if anyone wants one.

RD
My understanding that the mold is over @Carrera boats these days Iam sure Stan and Kevin
would be happy to build a few.

pwcon

Reaction score
The blue boat has a very narrow center plate, does it have a 'delta pad bottom' (built with an insert in the mold) ? Why is the center plate fixed ? Down under, are you running a 'big gear ratio' and a '14 or 15 pitch prop' with the turbo/ big power ? Thanks .....

I've spoken with the previous owner who tells me he ran 11 1/4 by 14 and 15 and 16 . Apparently when he ran the 16 it high sided in a corner at about 70 mph and threw him out He reckons the rear lifted and the boat handled very aggressively. the 15 was quite successful in ski races. The gear box is 72% over driven which is far too big for what I want to do. Every Spectra i've seen over here has what you call a delta pad and I was wondering if your spectras have a similar design or was this a mod made down here. My ski boat has the narrow centre plate but isnt fixed 20141126_173529.jpg

AzGeo

Reaction score
running the bigger overdrives (72% overdriven) reduces the effective torque at the prop . Out here in the southwest USA, many are running lower gears (29/32) and less slip with 16/17 pitch props . However, when the prop 'slip numbers improve', the torque reaction to the hull increases . I can see that with the narrow 'pad' on the blue boat, torque reaction VS prop slip would effect the control and have bad consequences . Reduce throttle slightly in a turn and that 16 pitch 'bites for a split second', and the boat would roll out to the right, hard . Most of the Spectra 19's I've seen have had no 'pad' or 'flat spot', nor have they had the center strakes lengthened towards the transom more . (to hold the tail up) I've found that with the 'jet style round bottom', the faster V-drives get up on the keel behind those center strakes, and they become unstable . Someone (down under) may have noticed that problem and modified the riding surface of the hulls available there . If possible, I suggest a 12" wide delta pad, with no more than 1 degree of rise to the rear . This would make the pad about 5' long and just wide enough to resist 'torque reaction' and still deep enough to keep most of the 'spray' off the bottom near the transom . Then you could make the center plate movable, and use it for more straight line speed and better breaking, going into the turns .

Attachments

• 20' cav hardware.jpg
    20' cav hardware.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Kathy in the channel.jpg
    Kathy in the channel.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 93

pwcon

Reaction score
running the bigger overdrives (72% overdriven) reduces the effective torque at the prop . Out here in the southwest USA, many are running lower gears (29/32) and less slip with 16/17 pitch props . However, when the prop 'slip numbers improve', the torque reaction to the hull increases . I can see that with the narrow 'pad' on the blue boat, torque reaction VS prop slip would effect the control and have bad consequences . Reduce throttle slightly in a turn and that 16 pitch 'bites for a split second', and the boat would roll out to the right, hard . Most of the Spectra 19's I've seen have had no 'pad' or 'flat spot', nor have they had the center strakes lengthened towards the transom more . (to hold the tail up) I've found that with the 'jet style round bottom', the faster V-drives get up on the keel behind those center strakes, and they become unstable . Someone (down under) may have noticed that problem and modified the riding surface of the hulls available there . If possible, I suggest a 12" wide delta pad, with no more than 1 degree of rise to the rear . This would make the pad about 5' long and just wide enough to resist 'torque reaction' and still deep enough to keep most of the 'spray' off the bottom near the transom . Then you could make the center plate movable, and use it for more straight line speed and better breaking, going into the turns .

Thanks for the reply Could I ask your opinion on the potentiol set up of the blue boat. Its ski racing days are over and I intend to run it as a social boat with a 500 odd horse power big block. Just a slightly faster version of my white boat that ran just on 70 on the gps. That boat runs a stroked 350 (383) about 26% gears from memory and a three blade prop that I will check for size. It runs and corners like its on rails . Any suggestions regards gearbox and prop size would be appreciated. As I said before the boat ran well with the 15 prop

AzGeo

Reaction score
nor witnessed one at speed, I would not guess as to set up . The boat in my top photo, has about 580 HP (468 with a B&M 177, single 850), it has 22 gears and runs 86/90 MPH, with a 11 1/4 X 16-3 blade . The lower one has 1000 HP (pump gas 540, 8-71) and runs 29% gears with an 11 1/4 X 16-3 blade . 6000 RPMs (zero boost) is 102 MPH, and 6700 (7 lbs of boost) is 114 MPH . The 'delta pad' on both boats is 12" wide X 1 degree rise, and that keeps the boat "stable", along with the 7 1/4 degree shaft angles . This is why I asked about your 'fixed center plate' and 'narrow pad width' . At speed my side plates aren't even near the water, they are basically used for turning .

pwcon

Reaction score

just noticed the jet you had for sale a while ago ,nice boat Can i ask your prefrence regards jet or v drive in the 19

pwcon

Reaction score
Not seen for many years an old school ski race boat from the 80s on display at this years Southern 80 ski race.It came from a 19 mould stretched to 21 foot.

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 118
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg