WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NAVY HELICOPTER LANDING

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Hardcore.

Seems they would need to giddy up and tie that bird down something quick.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Piece of cake. :)

Holy crap. I don't have the patience to wait. I would jus slam it down [emoji106]

boatpi

Reaction score
That is some Blackhawk landing.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Yeah thats a lot of skill and patience. I have a hard enough time putting it down in gusty winds on the ground, much less that. And he put it in the circle too if you noticed.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I don't think that was US. Looks British to me.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Piece of cake. :)

Holy crap. I don't have the patience to wait. I would jus slam it down [emoji106]

Even that would be tough...if you slammed it down when the boat pitches up, the "landing" just became "crashed into the deck".
Timing is everything :thumbup:

Chopperman

Reaction score
I was in the navy and on some boats in the navy's inventory that regularly conduct missions with Seahawk helicopters have a device called a RAST Trap. (Recovery Assist Secure Traverse) I'll look for pics, but it's a probe that comes down out of the helicopter with a small lead wire, the trap grabs the wire, the bird pulls up a heavier wire then the landing officer (on the ship in a little bulletproof shack eye level with the ships deck) essentially pulls the helicopter down to the ship, talking to the pilots while landing. When the probe on the bird hits the rast trap the jaws close securing the helicopter till we can get it chained. It's fricking awesome! Super sketchy in rough weather though. Unless it was an emergency we wouldn't land in a sea state like that. Or launch for that matter. I'll look for some pictures!

Chopperman

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg
You can see the trap on the track in the deck, and in the other pic you can see the probe sticking down. Couldn't find my pics but found these on the internet.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Even that would be tough...if you slammed it down when the boat pitches up, the "landing" just became "crashed into the deck".
Timing is everything :thumbup:

Ya jus kind of a joke. I can't be accepted in to flight school :)

alohajeff

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has developed a raised landing pad with a Gyro stabilized deck... or a computer controlled hydraulic deck capable of self leveling.

Aloha

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I was in the navy and on some boats in the navy's inventory that regularly conduct missions with Seahawk helicopters have a device called a RAST Trap. (Recovery Assist Secure Traverse) I'll look for pics, but it's a probe that comes down out of the helicopter with a small lead wire, the trap grabs the wire, the bird pulls up a heavier wire then the landing officer (on the ship in a little bulletproof shack eye level with the ships deck) essentially pulls the helicopter down to the ship, talking to the pilots while landing. When the probe on the bird hits the rast trap the jaws close securing the helicopter till we can get it chained. It's fricking awesome! Super sketchy in rough weather though. Unless it was an emergency we wouldn't land in a sea state like that. Or launch for that matter. I'll look for some pictures!

I have seen a video of that being used. Seems like the way to go.